Options

NEW ALBUM ALL SONGS LISTED in GERMANY´s VISIONS MAGAZIN

Comments

• Options
    mach271 wrote:
    i dont believe all this moaning. bloody madness, it's less for yous to bitch about, look at it that way.

when have PJ really every let us down ? we're spoilt enough as it is by these genuises.

(cough)No Code (cough)

are you saying you were let down by no code ?, which is probably the most magnificent, spellbinding piece of music ever to grace the industry...
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    mach271 wrote:
    i dont believe all this moaning. bloody madness, it's less for yous to bitch about, look at it that way.

when have PJ really every let us down ? we're spoilt enough as it is by these genuises.

(cough)No Code (cough)

are you saying you were let down by no code ?, which is probably the most magnificent, spellbinding piece of music ever to grace the industry...

You definately need to either
    1.Get your head out of the clouds
    2. Ease up on the smack
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:
    2. Ease up on the smack

i feel for you man. really i do. but as you said each to their own.... (but im right and you're wrong :D )
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    If Pearl Jam had not done what they did as far as No Code goes, they would almost certainly not be around today for all you whiners to complain about an album YOU HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD!

Since I am a fan since 1998, i would not call myself a "noob" and since I was 11 when No Code came out, it is not surprising I was not into PJ yet. Yield is what made me fan, and it remains #1 for me to this day. I grew as a Pearl Jam fan fairly quickly, and by August of 1999 I had all of their albums except for 1. No Code. For some reason, which I cannot explain, I decided maybe there would be just one album I didn't buy. And then on August 24, 1999 (as confirmed by the sticker on the album) I bought a used copy of No Code. I don't know why I waited that long to buy it or what I was thinking, but I am sure glad I finely did. I think Off He Goes has to be one of their best songs, Red Mosquito rocks in a whole new way for them, Sometimes and Around the Bend begin and close it out so beautifully and perfectly, Who You Are and In My Tree allowed Jack Irons to shine with something new for the band. I can understand how at the time, some people, who wanted more Even Flow and Alive, might have been let down, but looking at the album on it's own, I think it is a great piece of music, and hopefully whether the new album is 60 minutes long, or 20 minutes long, I'll be saying the same thing in a few months.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:
    2. Ease up on the smack

i feel for you man. really i do. but as you said each to their own.... (but im right and you're wrong :D )

:)
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    If Pearl Jam had not done what they did as far as No Code goes, they would almost certainly not be around today for all you whiners to complain about an album YOU HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD!

Since I am a fan since 1998, i would not call myself a "noob" and since I was 11 when No Code came out, it is not surprising I was not into PJ yet. Yield is what made me fan, and it remains #1 for me to this day. I grew as a Pearl Jam fan fairly quickly, and by August of 1999 I had all of their albums except for 1. No Code. For some reason, which I cannot explain, I decided maybe there would be just one album I didn't buy. And then on August 24, 1999 (as confirmed by the sticker on the album) I bought a used copy of No Code. I don't know why I waited that long to buy it or what I was thinking, but I am sure glad I finely did. I think Off He Goes has to be one of their best songs, Red Mosquito rocks in a whole new way for them, Sometimes and Around the Bend begin and close it out so beautifully and perfectly, Who You Are and In My Tree allowed Jack Irons to shine with something new for the band. I can understand how at the time, some people, who wanted more Even Flow and Alive, might have been let down, but looking at the album on it's own, I think it is a great piece of music, and hopefully whether the new album is 60 minutes long, or 20 minutes long, I'll be saying the same thing in a few months.

I certainly wasnt looking for another EF or Alive but IMHO Off He Goes is one of the most boring PJ songs around....when its played live, it breaks the flow of the gig and you always hear people talking during it :roll: ;)
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    Irish Al wrote:

I certainly wasnt looking for another EF or Alive but IMHO Off He Goes is one of the most boring PJ songs around....when its played live, it breaks the flow of the gig and you always hear people talking during it :roll: ;)

ah! :shock:
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Irish Al wrote:

ah! :shock:

:):lol:;) :twisted:
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Irish Al wrote:
    +1
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    mach271 wrote:
    maybe some of you "noobs" werent around for the actual release of this album!

I WAS!

i counted off the days on my calender that whole summer of 1996....i was 15yo at the time....

When release day came it was the most dissapointing day ever!

After having 10/vs/vital then No Code, HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!

Aug 27 1996 went down as one of the most DISSAPOINTING days in rock music release of the decade! (millions felt the same) Shit i remember MTV doing a piece on it, and interviewing peop in the street, EVERYONE HATED IT AND WAS DISSAPOINTED!

I stilll listened to it, over and over again...but in reality all it was, was an album to "pull back" from the masses....and it accomplished that

I totally hear you on that one. I was 16 that summer. I remember that STP, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine and Beck released their albums before PJ that summer. I was stoked because all those albums were great (for a 16 year old guy...!). But when I bought No Code... yep, I was disapointed. Not because it didn't sound like the other albums, just that it wasn't what I was expecting. I mean, there are great tunes on it. But it took me a lot of time to appreciate it. And being a drummer back then, I thought that Jack wasn't that spectacular! There was some songs where I thought he was actually missing some of his drills during the song!!!! (I thought Jack was way better on Yield). No Code is like a fine wine; you have to appreciate it with the time. Songs like "In my Tree" or "Around the Bend" didn't do it for me back then but I surely appreciate them now!

Anyway, I thought it was pretty brave from you to bring it up!

To come back with the track listing and the lenght of the album, I think that quality is better than quantity. They brought up REM on Two Feet Thick? I think it's a great exemple; that album rocked from beginning to the end. If Backspacer will be the same, I just can't wait for a September release.

By the way... there will always be people complaining about everything. I think that the first to know that is the band itself!!! Thank God they don't listen half the people on this board... or I don't think there would be any band left!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    No doubt. But are the rest of us supposed to resign or fake it or otherwise swallow our opinion just becos we don't like the new stuff as much?

But this is what bothers me: one song (Got Some) was aired, The End was played live (and so was Unthought Unknown) and there was a very crappy leak of The Fixer. Beyond that, all the songs are unknown. Not one studio song was leaked. To each their own. And you don't have to swallow at all. But, to use an expression, "don't judge a book by its cover." Just wait and then decide...

I for one like to anticipate and not drive myself crazy with (maybe) unfounded opinions.

So it's ok to anticipate? How can you get excited when you haven't heard it and don't know if it's any good?

Wow... I think you kind of missed my point. To be clear: feel free to do what you want. All I'm trying to say is, that *I* rather spend energy in anticipation and enthousiasme, and have fun along the way, than in negativity that may be unfounded. To each their own. It's all a choice. Or how did Pearl Jam say it? "How I choose to feel is how I am?" With the emphasis on "am".

Oh well...
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    To all of you complaining about length check out this fun fact, Sgt Pepper, Revolver, Let It Be and Rubber Soul are all under 39 minutes. All of them being under 36 except Sgt Pepper. Definitely quality not quantity.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    To all of you complaining about length check out this fun fact, Sgt Pepper, Revolver, Let It Be and Rubber Soul are all under 39 minutes. All of them being under 36 except Sgt Pepper. Definitely quality not quantity.

You said it. Completly correct...
  • Options
    To the Germans in our little community: is there any news yet on the interview? A very brief summary maybe?
  • Options
    skyvalleyskyvalley Posts: 184
    To the Germans in our little community: is there any news yet on the interview? A very brief summary maybe?

yes here is a"german"!! i still try to put the 2 side interview in to english - but my poor english let me get weird...
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    skyvalley wrote:

yes here is a"german"!! i still try to put the 2 side interview in to english - but my poor english let me get weird...
    THE NEW PEARL JAM: HERE'S WHAT TO EXPECT

Four mountain ridges, a canyon, a copious green valley, a steep rock, a jungle, veld - and an almost punchline ending. Pearl Jam's ninth studio album "Backspacer" is the first one since "Yield" that has been produced by Brendan O'Brien.

See My Friend: Pearl Jam as you expect them today: straight rock, strong lyrics, hands-on and aggressive.

Got Some: Also rock, also straight and almost angry but with some distinctive guitar licks by Mike McCready.

The Fixer: The first highlight. A tight, almost classic rock tune but clever at the same time. Slightly odd, and with cool vocal melodies and rhythms this track is a mini anthem.

Johnny Guitar: Fortunately not as bland as the title suggests. Also a rocker, but with a remarkable amout of lyrics and sincerity. Grows above average but still a very classical tune.

Just Breathe: The first break and a moment to take some breath. Lovely acoustic ballad. The fingers fly over the fret board, an unobtrusive string arrangement and lyrics about love - mature, wonderful, terrific vocal delivery.

Amongst The Waves: Finally there's not only pushing forward but in all directions with a song that tries to reach the sky. The positive build-up reminds of "Given To Fly" as well as the fact that you just can't point at the root of "Amongst The Waves" (Is it the lyrics? guitars? drums?).

Unthought Known: First very climatic, then a passionate mid-tempo rock song. A slightly blurry ending but still more palpable than anything off the last album.

Supersonic: The obligatory wild song that you can find on every Pearl Jam album since "Vitalogy". Almost cheerful, driven by Matt Cameron's fast pace, in the beginning reminiscent of Soundgarden. But Soundgarden were better at creating those angular bundles of energy.

Speed Of Sound: Exotic. A strange pop song with a different sound than the rest of the album and its clear-cut production. Still: piano, tingling, suspense...

Force Of Nature: A rock song like a Pearl Jam concert: An innocent beginning, but it grows naturally and expands and has you totally in its grip before you know it.

The End: The second acoustic song and to be taken literally. One of the strongest ballads by the band since a long time, amongst other things because its urgency manifests in Vedder's vocals. Even the end of the end needs a worthy ending.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    and i really dont care what ever people post ,or say about the new album,,ill be once again ,so happy when ill buy it,,lishen it..im gonna love it,,just wish to lishen as more in all 4 concerts in europe im going..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    and i really dont care what ever people post ,or say about the new album,,ill be once again ,so happy when ill buy it,,lishen it..im gonna love it,,just wish to lishen as more in all 4 concerts in europe im going..

4?? i have just 2 ;)
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • Options
    skyvalley wrote:

4?? i have just 2 ;)

Me too... Just two... 4! You lucky ....

And ps: I of course meant the interview in the article...
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Kraven wrote:

39 minutes is a great length. I agree. Those song titles do seem questionable though. Almost like an April fools trick, but I believe it, plus the reviews seemed pretty realistic. And wow, not a single song from the previous so-called song list. And that was supposed to be from a reliable source?

- Shift
    - Dust
    - Forward Thinking
    - In The Time Of Man
    - Cigarette Song Part I
    - Cigarette Song Part II
    - Agree To Disagre
    - High Crime
    - Yonder
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Even with the screen shots from the magazine, I'm very skeptical of this.

Supersonic & Force of Nature (Both Oasis song titles) and Speed of Sound (Coldplay title).

I could be terribly mistaken, but I really don't believe that PJ would do that.
    I wonder how many bands have songs titled "Down", "Black", "Gone" and so on.. I bet most of PJ's song titles are shared with other bands. It's just a title the band uses for reference. Its not like they are inventing new words. There's only so many words in the English language.

Obviously but:

Two Oasis titles, a big single from Coldplay from just a few years ago, and Faith Hill with Just Breathe. These are three very contemporary major label artists. It just comes across as lazy. I'm looking forward to it regardless.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    Never mind the bollox = 38 min
    Shame about ray = 30
    ramones = 29
    gold against the soul = 42
    dookie = 39
    Historie de Melody Nelson = 27
    Paris 1919 = 31

Who gives a s*** about how long it is?
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    I can see the concern for wanting a longer cd, at 11 songs, and 36 minutes, the average song's length is less than 3 and a half minutes long.

If you are hoping for a song within a ripping guitar solo at the end like Alive, it's just all the more unlikely that a song with that kind of jam will appear on this 36 minute album. Unless of course, one or more of the songs on there was "pry, to" or "lukin" short.

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again-- Porch was 3:30, and has probably never been played in under 6 minutes on live versions of the song. I can't see Pearl Jam making an entire cd of songs that are going to played EXACTLY as they appear on the album without room for some extension / jam-out.
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:
    Kraven wrote:

39 minutes is a great length. I agree. Those song titles do seem questionable though. Almost like an April fools trick, but I believe it, plus the reviews seemed pretty realistic. And wow, not a single song from the previous so-called song list. And that was supposed to be from a reliable source?

- Shift
    - Dust
    - Forward Thinking
    - In The Time Of Man
    - Cigarette Song Part I
    - Cigarette Song Part II
    - Agree To Disagre
    - High Crime
    - Yonder

Maybe its a double album?
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    Dark Star wrote:

- Cigarette Song Part I
    - Cigarette Song Part II

coooooooonstant craving... has always been
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Dark Star wrote:

- Shift
    - Dust
    - Forward Thinking
    - In The Time Of Man
    - Cigarette Song Part I
    - Cigarette Song Part II
    - Agree To Disagre
    - High Crime
    - Yonder

At first I thought these song titles were kinda bad, but after looking at the "official" song titles, id rather have those. It seems like they changed the names for the worse.

Not bitching, just saying.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Leave it to the Germans to incite people via false propaganda!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Leave it to the Germans to incite people via false propaganda!

dont judge us to fast ;) you will see it on the pics out there or wait till september
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i'm guessing that this info is fairly accurate b/c it hasn't been deleted.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com