1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    SpinningBombsSpinningBombs Posts: 270
    edited July 2009
    mach271 wrote:
    PJMosquito wrote:

I agree here. A little history on the word "fag," and its origins:

During the Salem witch trials homosexual people were used as the fuel to start the fires that burnt the witches at the stake. Hence, they started calling gay people "fags," as in- "bundles of wood" used for kindling a fire. Needless to say, this is an EXTREMELY offensive term that has frighteningly become standard slang.

Only a FAG would know something like that

Seriously? I am gay. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to admit it, but I AM embarrassed by the disrespect and prejudice being demonstrated on this message board right now. Unbelievable. You know, this place used to be a safe, fun environment for PJ fans to discuss a mutual love for their music. That feeling is completely gone now...its so sad.
    Post edited by SpinningBombs on
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    We've got some real assholes on this board...
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    PJMosquito wrote:
    mach271 wrote:
    PJMosquito wrote:

I agree here. A little history on the word "fag," and its origins:

During the Salem witch trials homosexual people were used as the fuel to start the fires that burnt the witches at the stake. Hence, they started calling gay people "fags," as in- "bundles of wood" used for kindling a fire. Needless to say, this is an EXTREMELY offensive term that has frighteningly become standard slang.

Only a FAG would know something like that

Seriously? I am gay. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to admit it, but I AM embarrassed by the disrespect and prejudice being demonstrated on this message board right now. Unbelievable. You know, this place used to be a safe, fun environment for PJ fans to discuss a mutual love for their music. That feeling is completely gone now...its so sad.

I have absolutely NO prejuidice in homosexuals...i was just making a statement that only a homosexual or as YOU said "fag" would know such a fact.....

If i offended you, i apologize....
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:

I have absolutely NO prejuidice in homosexuals...i was just making a statement that only a homosexual or as YOU said "fag" would know such a fact.....

If i offended you, i apologize....

I actually learnt "such a fact" from a literature professor who happens to be a straight male. I think the more accurate statement would have been- only someone who has a careful concern for the words that they choose to communicate with would stop to make sure they know what they're saying before they say it.

But, its alright. Let's get this thread back on topic.
  • Options
    ytrepusytrepus Posts: 15
    Hey guys some hurtful stuff being said here. Not worth it on this board, really. There are plenty of gay PJ fans, just like there are men, women, white, black, relgious, athiest, liberal, conservative...we should be celebrating our common love for the band and its music.

Would it be selfish of me to say that this used to be one of the more interesting threads on the board that was actually on the topic of the new album? Could be a good place for interesting speculation. Would hate to see it deteriorate any further...can we get it back on topic?

OK--

I for one love the idea of a short, tight, cohesive album. Something you can easily listen to in one sitting and that feels like it belongs together. Let's hope it has that real album feel and a common element or themes running through it.

Also, I really really can't wait to hear a full band version of Unthought Known. Think it has potential to be one of my favorites ever if they do it right.
  • Options
    ytrepus wrote:
    Hey guys some hurtful stuff being said here. Not worth it on this board, really. There are plenty of gay PJ fans, just like there are men, women, white, black, relgious, athiest, liberal, conservative...we should be celebrating our common love for the band and its music.

Would it be selfish of me to say that this used to be one of the more interesting threads on the board that was actually on the topic of the new album? Could be a good place for interesting speculation. Would hate to see it deteriorate any further...can we get it back on topic?

OK--

I for one love the idea of a short, tight, cohesive album. Something you can easily listen to in one sitting and that feels like it belongs together. Let's hope it has that real album feel and a common element or themes running through it.

Also, I really really can't wait to hear a full band version of Unthought Known. Think it has potential to be one of my favorites ever if they do it right.

I 100% agree. I love the idea of an album that has no filler- everything is needed and justified- no excess. I feel like with Riot Act the band might have been trying to do too much, and perhaps because of this it buckles a little bit under that weight. I'm hoping Backspacer feels full and complex, yet somehow simple. A perfect example would be Radiohead's In Rainbows.
  • Options
    ytrepusytrepus Posts: 15
    Yeah while Riot Act has some good moments it just feels disjointed to me...like a few different albums cobbled together. I find myself thinking about it and listening to it in sections.

I guess we can hope for the best of both worlds--an album that feels really tight and also some great songs that hold up well in a shuffle or a setlist.....

Agree about In Rainbows...that's what I was thinking about when I wrote that other post
  • Options
    ytrepus wrote:
    Yeah while Riot Act has some good moments it just feels disjointed to me...like a few different albums cobbled together. I find myself thinking about it and listening to it in sections.

I guess we can hope for the best of both worlds--an album that feels really tight and also some great songs that hold up well in a shuffle or a setlist.....

Agree about In Rainbows...that's what I was thinking about when I wrote that other post

also keep in mind they wrote a number of these songs specifically to kick ass live. its such a shame i won't get to see them this time around :cry:
  • Options
    skyvalleyskyvalley Posts: 184
    tracklist official confirmed!! :lol:
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    No problems Mate.

Opinions are cool.

I just find it odd that you're disapointed by an album you haven't even heard yet.

36 minutes or 1 hour 36 minutes....It really means dick to me.

Riot Act was their longest album and yet it's my least favorite.

Perhaps the fat is not where it's at.

Riot Act was also 15 songs and clocked in at about the same length as Ten. Look at it this way:

Riot Act, 15 songs, 55 minutes = appr 3.5 minutes per song

Ten, 11 songs, 55 minutes = appr 5 minutes per song

Backspacer, 11 songs, 36 minutes = appr 3.5 minutes per song

It's not the length, it's the songs. Riot Act was weak because it had a lot of crappy throwaway filler riff rockers. Ten had a ton of epic, anthemic songs. Even Binaural fared a bit better with 13 songs at almost 50 minutes... about 4 minutes a song (esp if you dont count Soon Forget). They still made a lot of interesting songs with drama and tension. It's not purely the length that is alarming, it's that the long compared to the number of songs and comments they've made indicates that we're going to get Riot Act without even the redeeming quality of songs like All or None... a bunch of short, weak, riff rockers like Got Some. THAT is what is alarming.
  • Options
    It's not purely the length that is alarming, it's that the long compared to the number of songs and comments they've made indicates that we're going to get Riot Act without even the redeeming quality of songs like All or None... a bunch of short, weak, riff rockers like Got Some. THAT is what is alarming.

But 'Got Some' is the second track on the album...2nd tracks are usually designed to pump up the energy, etc. I really suggest you wait to hear studio tracks like "Unthought Known," "Amongst the Waves," "Force of Nature," and even "The Fixer" before you say that this album won't be able to generate tension, or an epic feeling. After all these years, the least you can do is give this band the benefit of the doubt. Barring 'Riot Act,' which isn't even 'bad' compared to other bands' work (and some would even argue that they love RA), Pearl Jam has rarely let us down. I'm hyped for Backspacer, and can't wait to hear 'The Fixer' next week.
  • Options
    pjbrandonpjbrandon Posts: 2
    Supersonic = Salt N Pepa cover
  • Options
    It's not purely the length that is alarming, it's that the long compared to the number of songs and comments they've made indicates that we're going to get Riot Act without even the redeeming quality of songs like All or None... a bunch of short, weak, riff rockers like Got Some. THAT is what is alarming.

But 'Got Some' is the second track on the album...2nd tracks are usually designed to pump up the energy, etc. I really suggest you wait to hear studio tracks like "Unthought Known," "Amongst the Waves," "Force of Nature," and even "The Fixer" before you say that this album won't be able to generate tension, or an epic feeling. After all these years, the least you can do is give this band the benefit of the doubt. Barring 'Riot Act,' which isn't even 'bad' compared to other bands' work (and some would even argue that they love RA), Pearl Jam has rarely let us down. I'm hyped for Backspacer, and can't wait to hear 'The Fixer' next week.

I never claimed to know anything about the album, I just said a little skepticism/pessimism is perfectly reasonable. And Riot Act was bad compared to any band's work. It's a weak album, period. The only reason I haven't sold my copy is a sentimental fondness for PJ. s/t was a bit better, but it sounds like the positive steps they took on that album have been abandoned in order to pursue more of the weak style they've beaten to death over the last 3 albums. Got Some is a bad song and fails even the getting pumped up test... it's got no rhythm, no groove, none of the strengths that built this band and its live reputation.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,314
    I really suggest you wait to hear studio tracks like "Unthought Known," "Amongst the Waves," "Force of Nature," and even "The Fixer" before you say that this album won't be able to generate tension, or an epic feeling. After all these years, the least you can do is give this band the benefit of the doubt. .

Agreed. And while I respect his opinion, I think he's selling "Got Some" short. There's a lot more going on with that one than there was with "Comatose" (which I like) or "Save You."
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,679
    It's not the length, it's the songs. Riot Act was weak because it had a lot of crappy throwaway filler riff rockers. Ten had a ton of epic, anthemic songs. Even Binaural fared a bit better with 13 songs at almost 50 minutes... about 4 minutes a song (esp if you dont count Soon Forget). They still made a lot of interesting songs with drama and tension. It's not purely the length that is alarming, it's that the long compared to the number of songs and comments they've made indicates that we're going to get Riot Act without even the redeeming quality of songs like All or None... a bunch of short, weak, riff rockers like Got Some. THAT is what is alarming.

Personally I like "Got Some".
    I didn't find the song to be too short and I sure as hell didn't find it to be a weak generic riff rocker.

In fact I think it rocks much harder, and is a hundred times more clever than the throwaway tracks you compare it to on Riot Act.

The song was ruined by the god awful sound production on the Tonight Show.

Same goes for "The Fixer....The song has clearly got some chops, but much like "Got Some" it sounds like it was recorded out of some guy's mudflap.

I hope that upon hearing the proper studio cuts of these tracks that it will be enough to erase whatever pessimistic and skeptical mindset you have going to this album. It's certainly not something I can relate to and I'm frankly glad I'm on the otherside of this opinion.

I'm personally very happy with what I've heard so far and I'm probably anticipating this album more than perhaps any other Pearl Jam release.

Good Luck With That.
  • Options
    its a little bit funny how to discuss about single tracks,who played on ed´s solo shows, conan or elswhere. i think you have to hear the album completly before judge single songs. i belive togehter they make more sense...
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • Options
    "Got Some" is nowhere near as generic as "Life Wasted" or "Severed Hand" or "Come Back". It actually has an interesting riff and some balls to it.
  • Options
    "Got Some" is nowhere near as generic as "Life Wasted" or "Severed Hand" or "Come Back". It actually has an interesting riff and some balls to it.

I don't care for Life Wasted or Severed Hand. Come Back at least has Ed singing again and a nice solo from Mike. Got Some is more of that Comatose style mumbling gibberish. You've got one of the best singers in the world fronting the band, and he's constantly reduced to speed talking like Sno instead of singing like he has done to such great effect on their first 5-6 albums.
  • Options
    like the riff to... thought the sound comes from a keyboard... but maybe that was just my terrible laptopspeakers. cant wait to hear it HIFI