Options

Is this getting out of hand now?

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,786
    Blimey, the mods and the band have had it proved without question this year that they are faced with an impossible task.

Kat comes here in an attempt to quell the storm and put out the official word, and does it do any good at all? Nope we just get a new spin on the sell out bullshit, the Eddie was fat bullshit, the eddies vocal's are terrible bullshit, the bullshit that Eddie's voice is no longer up to it, The band are trying to copy KOL bullshit, the band are corporate whores bullshit, the band have changed their politics bullshit over the years, the band are a business bullshit, the band have deserted their fanbase bullshit, the band dont care about us because they have money bullshit, the band dont put out information bullshit, the band owe us something as fans bullshit,.

I'm all for a discussion, but take a step back, spend 30 mins on these forums of late, and the penny will drop that the smae old rubbish is going back and forth over and over again. Its boring, its tedious, can we please drop it, and start being a bit more positive towards the release of a new record and a tour. A little bit of constructive posting would be great here for a change

Its been great being a PJ fan this year (otherthan the slight winge I may have had about the deluxe shipping) - we have lots to celebrate, and it irks me that we are still questionning whether Eddie can sing, whether he's put on weight and worst of all, how dare PJ sell out and try and sell their album. Shock fucking horror.

Seriously if you are that anti PJ perhaps you are posting in the wrong place
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

I understand, and you might be right. But I think them officially speaking/responding to these kinds of rumors would encourage more of them, and that there's nothing they could say that would satisfy people.

It is definitely tricky, and I'm glad it's not my job. It's easy to criticize from my living room..hahaha...plus I'm sure hind sight is 20/20 in a lot of these cases. There are many different ways to address the situation, but banning talking about something does several things - it validates the rumor, it causes more people to talk about it more than they would have otherwise, and it alienates the people that love Pearl jam most.
    the problem is that people are about immediacy. they want things now and are unwilling to just wait for things. yes, they could have handled things differently. but whats done is done and all that is left is the aftermath.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    redrock wrote:
    'the' not 'a'....

Yep... seems we are splitting hairs :lol:

:lol: Yeah, I read that too, but I really enjoy dissecting the English language and how much it can be manipulated. Especially by marketing and advertising. It's funny that there's almost always several ways that a single sentence can be read when emphasis is placed on different parts because the meaning of the sentence changes with the emphasis.

But you're right... I'm just reading too much into it. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    einatshaul wrote:
    Both sides must respect and learn to live at peace with the other, no one really wants to cross the lines, could you imagine the pressure the band is going through and has been going through for 19 years?
    That's it... mutual respect. No... mutual EARNED respect. If the band respects the fans... the fans should respect the band. Pretty simple. And part of that respect means the fan does not expect to be part of the band... even when done with good intentions, such as celebrating new music with a posted sampling. If the band's management tells you to take it down... you take it down.. out of mutual respect.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Blimey, the mods and the band have had it proved without question this year that they are faced with an impossible task.

Kat comes here in an attempt to quell the storm and put out the official word, and does it do any good at all? Nope we just get a new spin on the sell out bullshit, the Eddie was fat bullshit, the eddies vocal's are terrible bullshit, the bullshit that Eddie's voice is no longer up to it, The band are trying to copy KOL bullshit, the band are corporate whores bullshit, the band have changed their politics bullshit over the years, the band are a business bullshit, the band have deserted their fanbase bullshit, the band dont care about us because they have money bullshit, the band dont put out information bullshit, the band owe us something as fans bullshit,.

I'm all for a discussion, but take a step back, spend 30 mins on these forums of late, and the penny will drop that the smae old rubbish is going back and forth over and over again. Its boring, its tedious, can we please drop it, and start being a bit more positive towards the release of a new record and a tour. A little bit of constructive posting would be great here for a change

Its been great being a PJ fan this year (otherthan the slight winge I may have had about the deluxe shipping) - we have lots to celebrate, and it irks me that we are still questionning whether Eddie can sing, whether he's put on weight and worst of all, how dare PJ sell out and try and sell their album. Shock fucking horror.

Seriously if you are that anti PJ perhaps you are posting in the wrong place
    +1
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    edited June 2009
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Thank you for the info Kat.
    Now can we have what you said as a sticky, to stop all of this? And can we have better communication so it doesn't get to this point in the future? It's not an unrealistic thing to ask for. Please?

It always comes but it comes when it's ready and it shouldn't come sooner. You don't eat an apple pie that's half-baked, do you? The fruit must first be gently washed and peeled and lovingly sliced and diced and the dough created with the perfect ratio of ingredients so that it will be a flaky masterpiece cradling the fruit and complimenting each tasty bite. It's art...like anyone's job can be if we try.

And you know that everyone involved wants you all to enjoy and savor every tasty morsel for as long as it can last.

xo

I agree, we should/could wait until the finished product is ready. All I'm asking is for better and possibly more communication. That's all. There's no harm in communicating.

this is what i don't understand.
    they DO communicate, when THEY want to. it does not, nor should not, 'have' to be on our terms, when we want the information. they have their reasons for waiting - i think that is clear.

as to this whole blog thing, i had no idea....just read this entire thread this morning.... :?
    have to say, as many already have....yea, she was wrong. plain and simple. and this is NOT about fan taping policy out the window or any such thing. this was an illegally made recording. this wasn't some fan at the show (paid extras with non-disclosure statements makes that clear, and also shows how hush-hush pj wanted it)......this was a fan going against the bands wishes, illegally taping the song, and then someone publicising this shitty recording all over the internet. THAt is disrespectful. so imo, 'great fan' or not....she came at it from a point of disrespect, even unmeaningly. would YOU want YOUR WORK fiirst exposure to the public to be some shit recording? i'd think not. i am no musician, but an artist...and if any of my unfinished and/or poorly copied imagery were released w/o my permission......as the first exposure to my new work....you bet i would be pissed. absolutely from a legal standpoint it's wrong...but beyond that.....it's just not the exposure i, or anyone would truly desire. you want your BEST out there FIRST. this isn't about controlling fan-made boots of shows, it's about illegal activity, and the respect - especially a fan - should exist for the band, and the law too. sounds like 15 minutes of fame to me........

as to the 'shitty blog' comment.....out of context hard to judge fully. unprofessional? sure...but not knowing the jist of the conversation, etc.....i can only guess it was a mistaken, regretted, off-the-cuff comment. if this blogger has been contacted by lawyers now and in the past....seems almost 'more important' to have an exclusive thing, than real respect for the bands she admires. uncool imo.

i think, especially with the internet, *expectations* are all needs met, all communications when desired, etc.....and that is simply unrealistic, unfair.....and not how pj has EVEr operated. it has always been about coming at things THEIR way, on their OWN terms. i do not see that changed here, at all. they may grow and change, mature....but their core values still seem quite as before, even if how they go about it may appear quite different. and this is not to say i too don't always want 'more'.....but i don't expect the band, or 10c, to jump at my every whim and my every request for info. they'll get to it in their own good time, on their own terms....and i can accept or reject that. my choice.

*edited b/c i posted right in the middle of what i quoted initially.... :oops:
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    While I have been critical of this situation as well, I do think some pause is needed to remember why we (most of us) come on here. And that is the music. This other stuff is the business side of the industry, that we the fans helped create. A lot of us download on here...a lot of us distribute material, whether official releases or otherwise, and we do so with no regard to the ramifications of it. And as Kat alluded to, information getting out that is false, will still circulate even when the whole story is known. But for me..this topic isn't about the Target information...I could care less about that..in fact I applaud the band for doing the multi partner thing...its forward thinking and I believe the way it should be done. But micro managing the blogosphere for fan recorded material is a little out character, and I think unnecessary. Nowadays, something going viral is the key to getting material out there, and for that to happen, you need the fans to seed it. Personally, I think that whenever the first single is prepped for release, the band should plant it at various sites as though it got out early..and let the fanbase throw it around...it creates buzz, excitement, the feeling that we stumbled upon some news that we spend way to much time poking around for anyway. Do it on your own terms and what is out of control can be somewhat 'in control' if you know what I mean. So don't crap on a blog for hosting a crappy fan recorded mp3 of a song that is building excitement and word of mouth. Embrace it and then you will see the true value of what a rabid fanbase can provide. Otherwise, don't do a video for target and hire in anyone but workers for the band who have been strip searched...because nowadays..its going to get out there.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    Kat wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    One can't come out and say this rumor is false when part of it is true but it's not time yet to confirm anything because the arrangements haven't been completed and, and, and...

It's just not possible, I'm sorry...I really am. Again, Patience is Good.

well, you got me there...I don't have any good rebuttal to that, I'll have to think on it awhile. Unfortunately, you are faced with the impossible task of trying to control information in 2009. It's simply not possible. There has to be a way to embrace the leakage of information rather than fight it. That is a losing battle.

But I hear you. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. It is good to have some dialogue on this. There are always many sides to every story.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

I understand, and you might be right. But I think them officially speaking/responding to these kinds of rumors would encourage more of them, and that there's nothing they could say that would satisfy people.

It is definitely tricky, and I'm glad it's not my job. It's easy to criticize from my living room..hahaha...plus I'm sure hind sight is 20/20 in a lot of these cases. There are many different ways to address the situation, but banning talking about something does several things - it validates the rumor, it causes more people to talk about it more than they would have otherwise, and it alienates the people that love Pearl jam most.

Maybe next time and good god I hope there isn't a next time, people could trust a little bit and have faith that there is something wrong with the information...deleting it is a hint that there is a problem. See Posting Guidelines. :)

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Kat wrote:
    ...deleting it is a hint that there is a problem. See Posting Guidelines. :)

please stop making sense. :lol:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I just have seven words to add:

I got some if you need it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    not sure if it has been said, but thanks for answering some questions Kat
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,323
    Kat wrote:
    Maybe next time and good god I hope there isn't a next time, people could trust a little bit

Amen.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Unfortunately, you are faced with the impossible task of trying to control information in 2009.

That's the real issue IMO. It's gotten crazy out here!
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    Look on the bright side.....new album this fall!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,786
    Kat wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Maybe next time and good god I hope there isn't a next time, people could trust a little bit and have faith that there is something wrong with the information...deleting it is a hint that there is a problem. See Posting Guidelines. :)

xo

oh there will be a next time......thats the way around here I guess
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    sward wrote:
    While I have been critical of this situation as well, I do think some pause is needed to remember why we (most of us) come on here. And that is the music. This other stuff is the business side of the industry, that we the fans helped create. A lot of us download on here...a lot of us distribute material, whether official releases or otherwise, and we do so with no regard to the ramifications of it. And as Kat alluded to, information getting out that is false, will still circulate even when the whole story is known. But for me..this topic isn't about the Target information...I could care less about that..in fact I applaud the band for doing the multi partner thing...its forward thinking and I believe the way it should be done. But micro managing the blogosphere for fan recorded material is a little out character, and I think unnecessary. Nowadays, something going viral is the key to getting material out there, and for that to happen, you need the fans to seed it. Personally, I think that whenever the first single is prepped for release, the band should plant it at various sites as though it got out early..and let the fanbase throw it around...it creates buzz, excitement, the feeling that we stumbled upon some news that we spend way to much time poking around for anyway. Do it on your own terms and what is out of control can be somewhat 'in control' if you know what I mean. So don't crap on a blog for hosting a crappy fan recorded mp3 of a song that is building excitement and word of mouth. Embrace it and then you will see the true value of what a rabid fanbase can provide. Otherwise, don't do a video for target and hire in anyone but workers for the band who have been strip searched...because nowadays..its going to get out there.

I just want to say that the long-time fans know how the band is about Sound Quality. As musicians, it is a top priority for them. How could it not be? They even went so far as to redo their first album because they didn't like the sound. They did their own bootlegs for live shows so they could make sure their music had good sound. It means a lot to them....please don't ever forget that. They want their art presented in the best possible way with great sound, good art, live shows, lots of fun for everyone for the event too.

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    Kat wrote:
    sward wrote:

I just want to say that the long-time fans know how the band is about Sound Quality. As musicians, it is a top priority for them. How could it not be? They even went so far as to redo their first album because they didn't like the sound. They did their own bootlegs for live shows so they could make sure their music had good sound. It means a lot to them....please don't ever forget that. They want their art presented in the best possible way with great sound, good art, live shows, lots of fun for everyone for the event too.

xo
    word.

on another note, the official bootleg program has all but destroyed the "real bootleg". when METALLICA(they who fought napster) includes downloads of shows in the ticket price, you know you did something good.

PJ proved you can offer low cost recordings of shows, with or without artwork, and now only will people buy them, but it wont hurt concert sales or album sales.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Unfortunately, you are faced with the impossible task of trying to control information in 2009.

That's the real issue IMO. It's gotten crazy out here!

and guess what...2010 is coming, and it's only going to get worse!

...or better, depending on your viewpoint....
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    and guess what...2010 is coming, and it's only going to get worse!

...or better, depending on your viewpoint....

Remember only hearing about a new album or tour from a Rolling Stone clipping, or Kurt Loder?

Or only hearing unreleased songs by dropping $30-50 for a crappy bootleg CD?

Can't tell if I miss that era or just miss being 16...

:lol:
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Remember only hearing about a new album or tour from a Rolling Stone clipping, or Kurt Loder?

Or only hearing unreleased songs (which were misnamed) by dropping $30-50 for a crappy bootleg CD?

Can't tell if I miss that era or just miss being 16...

:lol:

Sometimes I would only know an album was coming out by checking the upcoming releases board at my records store...

those were the days when a band could record a secret commercial and get away with it...

">here</a>.
    or

• Options
    Just wait until some asshole figures out how to implant a chip in Eddie's head, then Twitters about how much the unwritten songs are gonna suck.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Sometimes I would only know an album was coming out by checking the upcoming releases board at my records store...

Man, I remember those days ... sometimes, ingnorance was bliss. ;)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    Kat...will we ever be forgiven...
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited June 2009
    Kat wrote:
    One can't come out and say this rumor is false when part of it is true but it's not time yet to confirm anything because the arrangements haven't been completed and, and, and...

well, you got me there...I don't have any good rebuttal to that, I'll have to think on it awhile. Unfortunately, you are faced with the impossible task of trying to control information in 2009. It's simply not possible. There has to be a way to embrace the leakage of information rather than fight it. That is a losing battle.

But I hear you. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. It is good to have some dialogue on this. There are always many sides to every story.

I agree, it's nearly impossible to keep information control within control nowadays! PJ is just so big, so many fans, portable technology...that keeping info under wraps seems to be more impossible than possible. Rather than fight it and just delete info that shouldn't be there, there must be a different, healthier approach...I just don't know what it would be.

BTW, Kat - thanks so much for talking to us like you are. We all appreciate it! :)
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

we're old.

">here</a>.
    or

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    edited June 2009
    jimed14 wrote:

we're old.

Still have every cassette and boot cd I ever bought! 100's of them!! I miss those days very much!! I was ALWAYS surprised no matter how the quality!...Now...not so much...:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Kat wrote:

I agree, it's nearly impossible to keep information control within control nowadays! But the reality is, that PJ is just so big, so many fans, that keeping info under wraps seems to be more impossible than possible! Rather than fight it and just delete info that shouldn't be there, there must be a different, healthier approach...I just don't know what it would be.

BTW, Kat - thanks so much for talking to us like you are. We all appreciate it! :)

this is their official board, no? so shouldn't at the very least they be 'allowed' to try and control information presented HERE as they deem appropriate? obviously, they cannot control other sites, etc.....except try to end/curb illegal activity, but even 10/pj must realize it's impossible to control it ALL...but at least HERE, their own website, i think it perfectly acceptible for them to do so. that seems a 'healthy approach' to me.

eduardo......i know. ;)
    also why i want my album on CD first....not some DL...and i certainly would never want my first listen of something to be some crappy recording of it. patience, it pays off imo from time to time......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Kat wrote:

xo

More than fair enough. We just go crazy whenever new PJ surfaces. Hope they understand that too.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Kat wrote:
    sward wrote:

xo

Oh no..I am aware of that. And please don't mistake my post count as indicative of my time spent following the band. I've been involved since near the beginning. I respect the desire to have everything come out just right..and that is why I stay particularly mum on most of the conflicts around here. (And maybe why my post count is so low! haha). Thanks for the response. I still hold to the fact that I think some leeway is needed for fan recorded items, but I have also neglected to consider that this particular piece was recorded under false pretenses (as in, a waiver was signed that no one would release information), so with that , I really do...finally...see where they (the band and/or their reps) were coming from.
This discussion has been closed.