Options

Is this getting out of hand now?

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Zoso wrote:
    if someone at the 10c was THAT rude to you it wouldn't bother you? I d/l that leak also as well as many other around here. Whoever it was at 10c went too far I feel.

There's always two sides to a story. And don't even go down the route that 10C should then refute/explain/come clean/tell their side of the story, etc., they have absolutely no obligation/need whatsoever to respond publicly to everything that has ever been written/posted about them. They would need a room full of people who's job would entail only that.
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I think this is being blown out of proportion.
    As someone posted, we will not truly know what was in the conversation between 10c and the blogger. I bet things got heated on both sides, and words were said by both sides that were not cool or professional. And maybe she posted the worst of the conversation to get more people to look at her blog (its now a money making way of life- the more traffic, maybe a book, an article with a big company, etc)

If someone asks you to take something down, not once, but 3 times, have some respect for them and do it. If she had done it the first time, then she would not have gotten the "shitty" comment and rant.

As a fan who loves the band, why hurt them just for some fame?
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Hey, say whatever you like, but the situation is extremely black and white: the band have every right to protect their intellectual property to the fullest extent of the law.

I can't see the relevance of tape trading in days gone by, the band are being very kind in allowing public downloading of previous official bootlegs and audience recordings already. That's previously recorded material, I guess they figure the impact on future sales will be negligible.

Nobody except the band has any kind of "right" to post a Pearl Jam song anywhere. It's the truth, just because they've let someone get away with it in the past doesn't mean they will in the future (or that they have to).

Sorry, I'm definitely on the band's side this time - the side of the law, in other words...I honestly can't see how anyone can argue otherwise.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    vduboise wrote:
    I think this is being blown out of proportion.
    As someone posted, we will not truly know what was in the conversation between 10c and the blogger. I bet things got heated on both sides, and words were said by both sides that were not cool or professional. And maybe she posted the worst of the conversation to get more people to look at her blog (its now a money making way of life- the more traffic, maybe a book, an article with a big company, etc)

If someone asks you to take something down, not once, but 3 times, have some respect for them and do it. If she had done it the first time, then she would not have gotten the "shitty" comment and rant.

As a fan who loves the band, why hurt them just for some fame?

Well put. This chick was trying to benefit from the leak. Period. End of story.

C'mon now heather, it takes three times to get you to pull it from the site?

How could you NOT expect to hear from your "boyfriends" legal team????

You gotta love how professionally she explains under her personal info to just reach out to her if an mp3 needs to be yanked from her site. Apparently you don't listen very well, Heather. 3 times is absolutely redonk.

A

Bush, Heather.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    It's hard for me to muster much outrage about this one way or another. This board wears me out sometimes.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    sward wrote:
    As far as the name calling..well..we weren't part of the conversation...and we don't know how confrontational she was in this whole thing, because we only get her side. But if it is truthful, then PJ and its team need to take a closer look at who is representing them.
    This is the clincher. Granted, we don't know what really happened, but TC's business behavior of late has been nothing to gloat about. If they can't be professional (with anyone, not just bloggers), word will get out, and essentially it gives them a bad image.
    redrock wrote:
    There's always two sides to a story. And don't even go down the route that 10C should then refute/explain/come clean/tell their side of the story, etc., they have absolutely no obligation/need whatsoever to respond publicly to everything that has ever been written/posted about them. They would need a room full of people who's job would entail only that.
    That's right, they have no obligation to explain anything. But it certainly would be very professional of them, now wouldn't it? Keeping everything secretive and trying to keep everything under tight control only gives the public an uneasy feeling. If they know business, they know that they need to stay professional and upfront with the public or their image will get bad very quickly.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    That's right, they have no obligation to explain anything. But it certainly would be very professional of them, now wouldn't it? .
    No. Why would it be? Responding to a blog? Why would that be 'professional'? Would it then be 'professional' to respond to every article/snippet written about them? Because that's what you're implying.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Keeping everything secretive and trying to keep everything under tight control only gives the public an uneasy feeling. If they know business, they know that they need to stay professional and upfront with the public or their image will get bad very quickly.

Keeping a conversation secret? Obviously not so secret but they don't have to stoop at Heather's level - 'well, we said this but she said that....' 'Tight control' of an unreleased song, uploaded illegaly - damn, how 'precious' of them.

Jeez... conspiracy theories here!

The OP is asking 'Is this getting out of hand now?' YES!!! These threads ARE getting out of hand!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SolarWorld wrote:
    None of the "extras" signed NDAs.

From Curtis' interview:
    "There's a lot of unemployed actors in Seattle," says Curtis, "and we wanted to go through all the proper unions and make sure everyone got paid" -- and that all those in attendance signed non-disclosure agreements"

This lady did something she was not supposed to do, was asked to take the song down several times and basically got her nose put out of joint so she vents....
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    Zoso wrote:
    http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/ - i think so. discuss

no. just an internet crybaby
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I'm glad the TC told her what they did. She' s a pretentious baby that deserves nothing. I am tired of all the fans on here that think they are owed everything. I won't be surprised if the band dismantles the TC after all of this nonsense.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    When they demanded that the first 2 mp3's be yanked immediately... don't you think twice about putting up a 3rd?

These weren't just ordinary mp3s. These were live recordings converted into an mp3, which was encouraged in the old generation of tape trading.

Instead Target, Rock Band, and other bullshit corporations shove the remaining hard-core fans out of the way.

I'm on Heather's side.

This was my comment on Heather's AWESOME blog:

Heather,
    "I am saddened to hear Pearl Jam taking big business’ side over the fans. I too am having difficulties with them right now but on a much smaller scale.

My problem lies within fan club seating. My membership expires in three days. I’ll be seeing Eddie in 18 days in Memphis. Call me a crybaby, call me whatever, but if my seats are not in the first 1/3 of the concert hall I will not be renewing my membership. If I’m seated anywhere else I refuse to believe there are that many Ten Club fans who have lower numbers than I, and are at the same show as me, especially at such a small venue.

Stand up for what you think is right, and if they become corporate sellouts as it’s suspected, we’ll walk hand in hand away from the mess because we know better."
    ed solo shows are NOT based on seniority.
    and let's be honest honey, they're doing you a favor offering premium seats for cost.
    try getting decent seats for an ed solo show without your $20 membership number. you'll be paying a lot more for worse seats.
  • Options
    Guys,

Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/2009/06/ ... re-to-win/

What are people's reactions?
  • Options
    I'm glad the TC told her what they did. She' s a pretentious baby that deserves nothing. I am tired of all the fans on here that think they are owed everything. I won't be surprised if the band dismantles the TC after all of this nonsense.
    i think a lot of people are spoiled here.

yeah, the target deal kinda sucks, but it's 2009, and they are selling the record themselves.

again, if it's good enough for prince.......

WWS's ringtone was a sprint exclusive. anyone bitch then?

AOLMusic had the exclusive premiere of I am Mine. Anyone bitch then?

I like how they broke up the distribution among many partners. you'll be able to buy it in pretty much any format. something that wasnt possible with black ice or chinese democracy.

people also forget prince's exclusive release through target is a three disc affair priced at 11.88. Backspacer may very well be priced under $9.99, and could be packed with goodies.

the internet crybabies for get this.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,323
    It's hard for me to muster much outrage about this one way or another. This board wears me out sometimes.

:lol:

Well put
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited June 2009
    makes me sick..insult to injury...WTF is going on?? this is the guy they trust to rep them????

he made the poor girl cry!
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    ewokpelts wrote:
    i think a lot of people are spoiled here.

yeah, the target deal kinda sucks, but it's 2009, and they are selling the record themselves.

again, if it's good enough for prince.......

WWS's ringtone was a sprint exclusive. anyone bitch then?

AOLMusic had the exclusive premiere of I am Mine. Anyone bitch then?

I like how they broke up the distribution among many partners. you'll be able to buy it in pretty much any format. something that wasnt possible with black ice or chinese democracy.

people also forget prince's exclusive release through target is a three disc affair priced at 11.88. Backspacer may very well be priced under $9.99, and could be packed with goodies.

the internet crybabies for get this.
    Agreed; I just want the music. I will still get my cd from the TC and hopefully vinyl. I wouldn't care if they had the Backstreet Boys selling them in person at Walmart only. There is no such thing as being a sellout. All the people crying that are sellouts themselves.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    makes me sick..insult to injury...WTF is going on?? this is the guy they trust to rep them????
    If I was him I would have told her worse things. Way to stand up TC; you don't have to take this, especially from a blogger.
  • Options
    ewokpelts wrote:
    When they demanded that the first 2 mp3's be yanked immediately... don't you think twice about putting up a 3rd?

These weren't just ordinary mp3s. These were live recordings converted into an mp3, which was encouraged in the old generation of tape trading.

Instead Target, Rock Band, and other bullshit corporations shove the remaining hard-core fans out of the way.

I'm on Heather's side.

This was my comment on Heather's AWESOME blog:

Heather,
    "I am saddened to hear Pearl Jam taking big business’ side over the fans. I too am having difficulties with them right now but on a much smaller scale.

My problem lies within fan club seating. My membership expires in three days. I’ll be seeing Eddie in 18 days in Memphis. Call me a crybaby, call me whatever, but if my seats are not in the first 1/3 of the concert hall I will not be renewing my membership. If I’m seated anywhere else I refuse to believe there are that many Ten Club fans who have lower numbers than I, and are at the same show as me, especially at such a small venue.

Stand up for what you think is right, and if they become corporate sellouts as it’s suspected, we’ll walk hand in hand away from the mess because we know better."
    ed solo shows are NOT based on seniority.
    and let's be honest honey, they're doing you a favor offering premium seats for cost.
    try getting decent seats for an ed solo show without your $20 membership number. you'll be paying a lot more for worse seats.

My one (1) ticket, in the balcony in L.A. was $185. I was lucky to get that. They were going for $250 from in-person scalpers the day of the show.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,753
    10c is out of ther minds to think they can control information about the band on the internet. Hopefully, the whole lesson here is that all the secrecy and censorship surrounding this story is incredibly counter-productive and only serves to whip the masses into a frenzy. I didn't even know about the target thing until my rss reader was flooded w/stories about posts mysteriously being deleted from pearl jam fan forums (from big sites like rollingstone.com). The insult was unprofessional, but the bigger insult was thinking they could bully us into not talking about it or getting information from other sources.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    10c is out of ther minds to think they can control information about the band on the internet. Hopefully, the whole lesson here is that all the secrecy and censorship surrounding this story is incredibly counter-productive and only serves to whip the masses into a frenzy. I didn't even know about the target thing until my rss reader was flooded w/stories about posts mysteriously being deleted from pearl jam fan forums (from big sites like rollingstone.com). The insult was unprofessional, but the bigger insult was thinking they could bully us into not talking about it or getting information from other sources.

very well said my friend!
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:

From what I understand, this hubbub has absolutely nothing to do with "information," about Target or anything else. It has everything to do with a blogger posting unauthorized copyrighted material -- ie, an unreleased song -- on her blog and then refusing to take it down.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    DeLukin wrote:
    Agreed, and well put. Those who blindly follow and defend the band without thinking critically need to start thinking for themselves, I'm really tired of people who can't seem to realize how there's ultimate bullying going on here of the public. Yes, the blogger was in the wrong and corrected the error. No need for Mr. In Charge to bully like their on some power trip. Again, professionalism would have made this a completely different story altogether.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Jeanwah wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:
    Agreed, and well put. Those who blindly follow and defend the band need to start thinking for themselves, I'm really tired of people who can't seem to realize how there's ultimate bullying going on here of the public. Yes, the blogger was in the wrong and corrected the error. No need for Mr. In Charge to bully like their on some power trip. Again, professionalism would have made this a completely different story altogether.

I find it hard to believe that if she had corrected the error in a timely fashion, any of this would have happened. It doesn't make sense to read the situation that way.

But I don't think any of us really know exactly what happened.

Also ... I find it slightly humorous you would characterize Internet piracy as a simple "error." Like, "Ooops, I accidentally stole someone's song and posted it on my blog for the world to see. How did that happen? Must have hit the wrong button."

I wonder if that works in other areas, too. "Sorry, officer. I didn't mean to wave that loaded pistol in the teller's face and demand $1 million in unmarked bills or I would blow her head off. It was a total accident!"
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    Maybe you guys should all drop out
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    SIAP...

All you had to do was listen to the quality of the unauthorized release to understand
    the band's reaction. When it got out it was roundly trashed here.

Just not a fair way to evaluate their new music and it risked creating a negative buzz
    about Backspacer.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    I posted this in the other thread about this, but when I hit submit it was deleted. Surprise.

--

I understand the bands perspectives. I just don't see how they got to the point they are at. I just don't feel like it's the same band (to the fans) as it was years and years ago. I don't agree with the way they release information, I don't agree with their censoring, and I don't agree with their behavior about these two. To me, it seems almost 100% opposite the club/band (again band as in to the fans) that they were in the past.

I think I've just come to realize... that's the way it is. They've changed. I've changed. I've realized I don't really align with the band and club as much as I used to. I don't get nearly as excited about all their causes and 'extra-Pearl Jam' activities. I don't find myself bringing up Pearl Jam when I talk to people about music, simply because, like the blogger wrote, I can't defend them anymore. Much the same way I can't defend the actions of so many incredibly awful Pearl Jam fans. I went to Lollapalooza with a big group and ended up feeling like I had to apologize for the rudeness of the Pearl Jam fans who were around all but ruining any other band with their actions, put downs of other music, etc etc. Come here and look at the complaining. The fans are as much of a turn off as the actions of the 10c.

At this point, the only thing that matters is the music. The music still matters as much as it did 15 years ago, and to me, that's all that's important. I've separated myself from everything else and it's really helped. It sounds weird, but I know I'm not the only person on this forum who's had a (probably) unhealthy addiction to anything Pearl Jam.

As for what's currently going on... oh well. It's not going to change the music or get the album released any sooner. It's not worth complaining about or spending my time on it. I enjoyed the song on Conan and look forward to the album. Let the 10c waste time and money on having some blogger pull down a crappy recording. It's the way things are now.

I will entertain all the 'bigger PJ fans than me' who flame me for posting something against the band, 10C, and us fans. Just realize that I'm not complaining... I've accepted it and suggest many others do too.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    DeLukin wrote:

I'd just like to say one thing and I apologize for being off-topic.

MISINFORMATION is not ok. Not about the band. Not about you or your family or anyone...it's hurtful and that could happen to anyone some day since it spreads so quickly online. The information about Pearl Jam's album distribution was going to be announced. It always is. The FALSE story that was promoted by people online about Target exclusively distributing Pearl Jam's music is still out there though...and that is the problem with rumors and misinformation online. It's still being spread because of the internets. That's all...just a little point that seems to be getting lost. I hope I have contributed something...I'm out.

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    The P.T. wrote:
    I posted this in the other thread about this, but when I hit submit it was deleted. Surprise.

It wasn't deleted, it was merged. Please look for an existing thread/topic instead of beginning a new one. We do a lot of merging.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:

In his interview, I think Curtis explained why they had to do that on this site... A site 'owned and run' by PJ 'people'. I'm sure if all these discussions had taken place on the 'alternative' board or anywhere else, it would not have been the same thing. This board is part of their 'business' and if a business requirement means they have to do certain things, it's their prerogative.
This discussion has been closed.