Options

Is this getting out of hand now?

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited June 2009 in The Porch
http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/ - i think so. discuss
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'M VERKLEMPT....talk amognst yourselves :lol:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    tim (not you zoso) needs to stop blowup up to fans...."shitty blog"...not very mature
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    tim (not you zoso) needs to stop blowup up to fans...."shitty blog"...not very mature

seriosuly bad pratice.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Not cool that he called it a shitty blog ... so not cool ...

that said ... I'm glad she backpedaled a bit, I posted on her blog yesterday and she responded to me. Her message today sounds pretty much in line with my thoughts yesterday.

I understand she is just a crazed fan, longing for the days of tape trading ... but, this was different.

In this a.d.d., throw away society ... there are plenty of people that will take that recording at face value, make a decision and move on. That's not what the band really wants. They'd like to release the material when it's finished.

I understand, everyone wants to be the first to break the story, to get it out there ... I think a lot of bloggers feel one big scoop could get you noticed, and potentially, famous (see that shitty Perez Hilton for one).

Not saying she's a part of that mentality ... but, I do agree with the band that having a crappy ass recording of a song being leaked, which is part of a contractual agreement no less, needs to be dealt with.

I hope they pay her back with an exclusive (interview, some band news, etc) ... that would be cool.

But, yeah ... this completely got overblown.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    well said jim
  • Options
    brainofcbrainofc Posts: 60
    If this is true and the person she was talking to was from the 10c, then that is total bush league.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    Sometimes...it's just the way you deal with the situation.

Be nice boys...she loves you guys. (I hope still)

Heather...I hope some other more sensitive party in the band's camp reaches out to you

and restores your faith in one of the best "fan" oriented bands of all time.

So sad.
  • Options
    LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    edited June 2009
    jimed14 wrote:
    Not cool that he called it a shitty blog ... so not cool ...

that said ... I'm glad she backpedaled a bit, I posted on her blog yesterday and she responded to me. Her message today sounds pretty much in line with my thoughts yesterday.

I understand she is just a crazed fan, longing for the days of tape trading ... but, this was different.

In this a.d.d., throw away society ... there are plenty of people that will take that recording at face value, make a decision and move on. That's not what the band really wants. They'd like to release the material when it's finished.

I understand, everyone wants to be the first to break the story, to get it out there ... I think a lot of bloggers feel one big scoop could get you noticed, and potentially, famous (see that shitty Perez Hilton for one).

Not saying she's a part of that mentality ... but, I do agree with the band that having a crappy ass recording of a song being leaked, which is part of a contractual agreement no less, needs to be dealt with.

I hope they pay her back with an exclusive (interview, some band news, etc) ... that would be cool.

But, yeah ... this completely got overblown.

You make a great point in that they owe her some sort of exclusive. Much of the hardcore fan base's rabidness (and 10C or PJ can't afford to be alienating any of their fan base at this point) stems from the fact that the band and the 10C have been so tight lipped on EVERYTHING. If we got information from them, no matter how vague or trite, instead of having to hunt it down and be told from 3rd, 4th or 5th party sources, or were given a heads up as in "hey guys, album news in a couple of weeks!", there would not be such a furvor created or would the rumors get wild and out of hand quickly. PJ and 10C have the right to protect their product, but they need to realize they feed into their problem as much as anyone. I think that's why some fans think, perhaps correctly, that they band is more interested in keeping Target happy rather than the fans at this point.
    Post edited by LoveBoatAdmiral on
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I think they had every right to say her blog was shitty. She basically reported a bunch of rumors and sold PJ down the river, no?
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think they had every right to say her blog was shitty. She basically reported a bunch of rumors and sold PJ down the river, no?

It just doesn't have to be done like that, she's a fan first and foremost ... a little respect goes a long way.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

let me guess....you don't work in public relations? ;):D
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    10c or whoever coulda handled it better, but she used somethin negative about them to get alotta traffic to her blog. Why does she deserve better? I get that they should be trying reach out to people like her, more, as she seems to be a huge music fan, but on the same token, fans like her only speak for about 1% of PJ fanbase, so screw em.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    "a shitty blog"

That's just plain bad form. I genuinely hope that the band and organization is embarrassed to be represented by this. It is bush league as someone posted above. And not in a humorous Will Ferrel as Ron Burgundy way...

Is it necessary to lose your temper like this (whomever you are)? The girl was excited about hearing some new music and you made her cry. If you're worried about the legal implications of a violation of a business agreement between you and the other business you made it with than simply say that. I'd be willing to bet HB would have understood and been happy to oblige. "Even if I disagree with the seeming crackdown on fandom on this tour by the powers that be, I am willing to ultimately comply as per my stated blog policy." (http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/2008/04/11/lucky-stars-in-your-eyes-eddie-vedder-in-berkeley-04-07-08/) Oh, wait... You've done this before and it worked...

Everyone makes mistakes though, right 10C? I hope you learned something from this. It appears that you have because she posted this today: "I spoke with a representative from the Pearl Jam Ten Club management today on the phone for about thirty minutes, responding back to a voicemail he left on my cell phone yesterday shortly after my amended post went up, saying they were “saddened” by the developments and asking if I would please call them back." (http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/2009/06/02/theres-a-war-outside-still-raging-it-aint-ours-anymore-to-win/)

A shitty blog? A shitty what?

Bad form, 10C. You can do better. :|
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    She's a talented writer and it's great that she loves music so much.

With that said, why did she put the info up in the first place? Really. When they demanded that the first 2 mp3's be yanked immediately... don't you think twice about putting up a 3rd? thinking that PJ somehow "owes" her something is laughable and nothing will ever happen. If it does, everyone and their mother would start posting illegally taped audio and blogging about it.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Whomever on PJ's behalf enjoys calling a fan page a "shitty blog" should be reconsidered for their position with the band. C'mon PJ's representative - grow up.

" The term he used was “opening the presents before Christmastime.” "

I'd rather opening the presents before Christmas time rather than 5 months past Christmastime, which is how PJ operates - literally.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

With that said, why did she put the info up in the first place? Really. When they demanded that the first 2 mp3's be yanked immediately... don't you think twice about putting up a 3rd? thinking that PJ somehow "owes" her something is laughable and nothing will ever happen. If it does, everyone and their mother would start posting illegally taped audio and blogging about it.

I agree with your point... She should've known better and she did let excitement cloud her judgment when she chose to post that stuff.

And while I agree and don't think that the organization owes her anything, an apology for denigrating her work would be the right thing to give her.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Whomever on PJ's behalf enjoys calling a fan page a "shitty blog" should be reconsidered for their position with the band. C'mon PJ's representative - grow up.

I'd rather opening the presents before Christmas time rather than 5 months past Christmastime, which is how PJ operates - literally.
    Really disgusting that a fan club rep would say that IMO. And you are exactly right CJMST3K about operating 5 months after Christmas. It does seem that way recently.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    It is only a band. people need to relax.
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    CJMST3K wrote:

Really disgusting that a fan club rep would say that IMO. And you are exactly right CJMST3K about operating 5 months after Christmas. It does seem that way recently.
    You know, you guys could always just say fuck it, leave and join the Michael Bolten Fan Club. :lol:
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    TheBeach wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

You know, you guys could always just say fuck it, leave and join the Michael Bolten Fan Club. :lol:

who says I can't have both? 8-)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    HeavyHands wrote:

I agree with your point... She should've known better and she did let excitement cloud her judgment when she chose to post that stuff.

And while I agree and don't think that the organization owes her anything, an apology for denigrating her work would be the right thing to give her.

Didn't she say that they said "sorry how things went down?" Sounds like an apology...

Blogs are blogs. Some of them are nothing but advertisement and marketing tools for new bands/artists... bands that turn around and give bloggers perks and whatnot. Does she post about shittty music or just how great stuff is? Someone above me mentioned traffic... I'm sure the hits are skyrocketing....
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Yeah, this sort of stuff is putting a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I get the need to manage copyright material, but come on boys. While you are trying to reinvent how it is you distribute your music, you need to consider how the fanbase furthers your cause. I have defended a lot of things to do with PJ, but name calling and micro managing isn't something I'm fond of. For the first time in my long, long time following this band, I have a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like it. I'm hoping there was some miscommunication going on, but it seems like this is par for the recent course.
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502
    Information moves quickly. The best way to control it is to put it out there first. 10c fuels the fire and run around trying to put it out.

They could have announced their intentions with the new album here first instead of with billboard and that would have been the end of it.

10c needs to learn from the silly mistake concerning band news. Generally we find out the news through other 10c members and that isnt one of the reasons I belong to the 10c.

Just hope they finally figure this out.
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    FW46778 wrote:
    It is only a band. people need to relax.

tvery true but this is what forums are for no? Discussing PJ and everything PJ related. I know if I got a call and someone at 10c said my blog was shitty or whatever I would be pissed. I do understand the fact that they want to control the leaks and the bad quality ones at that..

Wilco (The Album) was leaked a few weeks ago so what did Wilco HQ do?? They streamed the whole album online for a week. Why wouldn't PJ do something like this instead of what went down here?

• Options
    melva02melva02 Posts: 298
    Zoso wrote:
    Wilco (The Album) was leaked a few weeks ago so what did Wilco HQ do?? They streamed the whole album online for a week. Why wouldn't PJ do something like this instead of what went down here?

Yes, Wilco was totally cool about it, and Pearl Jam has been totally uptight lately. One difference, I guess, is that within 12 hours of the Wilco leak, tons and tons of people were excitedly downloading it. Pearl Jam has been around longer and isn't as "hot" (still good and popular, just not trending so to speak), so I could see why they feel they need a coordinated media blitz involving Target, which is probably hotter than Pearl Jam right now in terms of public awareness.

But as I said on another thread, I went ahead and spent some of my summer concert money on a big trip to Red Rocks to see Wilco in a cooler place than where I live. Thinking twice about PJ out west if it's the Key Arena, not the Gorge, but that's just personal preference of course. And of course I'll always see them if they come nearby.

Melissa
  • Options
    IMO Pearl Jam doesn't owe her anything. Cry me a river!

I'd be pissed if I was trying my best to keep everything under wraps and some piss ant took her little MacBook Air and wrote all about it. Much less, STEAL and promote a song that isn't released yet.

Don't give this blogger the time of day. I sure don't
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    KalEl31KalEl31 Posts: 26
    This whole argument essentially boils down to the legal/illegal downloading of music. Some bands dig it, others don't.

As was written on the blog... "Their New York City lawyers contacted me today, telling me to remove the fan-recorded file of a new song below, which was captured outside the venue door at a recent secret show." http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/2009/05/31/pearl-jams-got-something-new-going-on/

So someone stood outside a venue door and taped a show. I'm the first to admit a lot of my live PJ collection is because of the bootleggers (bless all of you). But standing outside something you didn't pay to get into, and then posting it for the world to hear? That borders slightly on theft. Slightly. The previous posts about TenClub asking she remove the songs is lame, but not knowing the whole story, I really don't care.

At some point, the band has to protect their craft. The Christmas-present analogy isn't a bad one, but what would have been better is if they said, "You're looking at artwork that hasn't totally been finished. We'd like you to hear it once it's done correctly."
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    KalEl31 wrote:
    At some point, the band has to protect their craft. The Christmas-present analogy isn't a bad one, but what would have been better is if they said, "You're looking at artwork that hasn't totally been finished. We'd like you to hear it once it's done correctly."

I'd agree if it was a studio demo floating around. The MP3 that is going around of the Showbox performance is barely listenable AT BEST. So they are harassing websites/suppressing discussion of an MP3 that is only going to be listened to by those who would be preordering from the TC anyway. Its not like this MP3 is making the rounds and turning people off- you can barely make anything out from it.

Just seems like its beyond overboard. I could understand blocking studio leaks or even a solid bootleg performance... that Christmas present analogy just doesn't really work for me.
  • Options
    IMO Pearl Jam doesn't owe her anything. Cry me a river!

I'd be pissed if I was trying my best to keep everything under wraps and some piss ant took her little MacBook Air and wrote all about it. Much less, STEAL and promote a song that isn't released yet.

Don't give this blogger the time of day. I sure don't

if someone at the 10c was THAT rude to you it wouldn't bother you? I d/l that leak also as well as many other around here. Whoever it was at 10c went too far I feel.

• Options
    When they demanded that the first 2 mp3's be yanked immediately... don't you think twice about putting up a 3rd?

These weren't just ordinary mp3s. These were live recordings converted into an mp3, which was encouraged in the old generation of tape trading.

Instead Target, Rock Band, and other bullshit corporations shove the remaining hard-core fans out of the way.

I'm on Heather's side.

This was my comment on Heather's AWESOME blog:

Heather,
    "I am saddened to hear Pearl Jam taking big business’ side over the fans. I too am having difficulties with them right now but on a much smaller scale.

My problem lies within fan club seating. My membership expires in three days. I’ll be seeing Eddie in 18 days in Memphis. Call me a crybaby, call me whatever, but if my seats are not in the first 1/3 of the concert hall I will not be renewing my membership. If I’m seated anywhere else I refuse to believe there are that many Ten Club fans who have lower numbers than I, and are at the same show as me, especially at such a small venue.

Stand up for what you think is right, and if they become corporate sellouts as it’s suspected, we’ll walk hand in hand away from the mess because we know better."
    Later,
    Bryce

4/20/1921, 12/25/2048, 1/1/2000, 9/10/1977.... does it really matter?
This discussion has been closed.