Options

Is this getting out of hand now?

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I just don't feel like it's the same band (to the fans) as it was years and years ago.

I read your entire post. This is the sentence I glommed onto. My response: No shit.

Bands, people, everybody changes over the span of 20 years. It's just natural.

I think the common thread you'll find about people wringing their hands over this, and over Target, and over Rock Band and over the Tonight Show is this: They all wish it was 1995 again.

The favorite band of their youth is changing, getting older. And what these fans are really bummed about is that it means THEY (the fans) are getting old, too. Every time Pearl Jam "changes" it's a subtle reminder that we're not young anymore.

I wonder if this is how Ed felt when The Who decided to lisence every damn song in their catalogue to CSI. I can't wait to hear "Squeeze Box" just before the start of CSI: Fargo some day.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    Kat wrote:
    The P.T. wrote:
    I posted this in the other thread about this, but when I hit submit it was deleted. Surprise.

It wasn't deleted, it was merged. Please look for an existing thread/topic instead of beginning a new one. We do a lot of merging.

I didn't start it. I attempted to respond to it. Thanks for the info, though.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Kat wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:
    10c is out of ther minds to think they can control information about the band on the internet. Hopefully, the whole lesson here is that all the secrecy and censorship surrounding this story is incredibly counter-productive and only serves to whip the masses into a frenzy. I didn't even know about the target thing until my rss reader was flooded w/stories about posts mysteriously being deleted from pearl jam fan forums (from big sites like rollingstone.com). The insult was unprofessional, but the bigger insult was thinking they could bully us into not talking about it or getting information from other sources.

I'd just like to say one thing and I apologize for being off-topic.

MISINFORMATION is not ok. Not about the band. Not about you or your family or anyone...it's hurtful and that could happen to anyone some day since it spreads so quickly online. The information about Pearl Jam's album distribution was going to be announced. It always is. The FALSE story that was promoted by people online about Target exclusively distributing Pearl Jam's music is still out there though...and that is the problem with rumors and misinformation online. It's still being spread because of the internets. That's all...just a little point that seems to be getting lost. I hope I have contributed something...I'm out.

xo
    Thank you for the info Kat.
    Now can we have what you said as a sticky, to stop all of this? And can we have better communication so it doesn't get to this point in the future? It's not an unrealistic thing to ask for. Please?
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    From what I understand, this hubbub has absolutely nothing to do with "information," about Target or anything else. It has everything to do with a blogger posting unauthorized copyrighted material -- ie, an unreleased song -- on her blog and then refusing to take it down.

I think this is half correct. She did post unauthorized content. As far as I know though, she did take it down after being contacted (go click on the link now and you'll see what starts playing). She even acknowledged her repeated history of posting unauthorized content and being contacted by the PJ organization to remove the content on several occasions. I think the line should've been more clear for her.

It's not clear if she ever refused to take down the most recent stuff (to me at least) because she hasn't said that she did and 10C hasn't publicly said anything. As such it doesn't seem fair to say that she did refuse.

As I read it you're correct in that this has nothing directly to do with early "information" about the Target deal being leaked. It's more of a peripheral detail in that the audio of the recording is probably going to be copyrighted by either PJ or Target Corp for use in the Curtis-acknowledged advertisement (in-store or wider broadcast) and as such would require permission for distribution outside of the authorized means. It's hard to separate because the two issues ultimately are linked. I think that's why 10C has been drawing some fire. In order for the 10C to live up to their end of the deal they made with Target Corp they need to protect their contribution to the new relationship. Personally I don't have a problem at all with them doing this. I just think it could've been handled more professionally.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    I would like to follow up what I said with a positve.

I do appreciate the band, club, and fans. The music has done so much for me I'm unable to express it correctly. The club has gone out of their way for me multiple times. They work extremely hard. I've shared many joyous occasions with PJ fans I didn't know and most likely won't see again. When it comes down to it, that's what it's about.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    And one more thing....

PLEASE (because I try to remember my manners) knock off the harsh comments about any parties to this disagreement/situation. Heather and the Ten Club are real people with feelings and doing that is not ok. Name-calling has been removed and personal comments shouldn't happen again.

That is all...I hope.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I just don't feel like it's the same band (to the fans) as it was years and years ago.

I read your entire post. This is the sentence I glommed onto. My response: No shit.

Bands, people, everybody changes over the span of 20 years. It's just natural.

I think the common thread you'll find about people wringing their hands over this, and over Target, and over Rock Band and over the Tonight Show is this: They all wish it was 1995 again.

The favorite band of their youth is changing, getting older. And what these fans are really bummed about is that it means THEY (the fans) are getting old, too. Every time Pearl Jam "changes" it's a subtle reminder that we're not young anymore.

I wonder if this is how Ed felt when The Who decided to lisence every damn song in their catalogue to CSI. I can't wait to hear "Squeeze Box" just before the start of CSI: Fargo some day.
    Totally agree. Times are a changing. Either we change or get left behind. Are you the same as you were back in the day? I am not the same as I was 10 years ago, or a year ago. I don't expect the band to stay the same either.
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I think this is half correct. She did post unauthorized content. As far as I know though, she did take it down after being contacted (go click on the link now and you'll see what starts playing). She even acknowledged her repeated history of posting unauthorized content and being contacted by the PJ organization to remove the content on several occasions. I think the line should've been more clear for her.

It's not clear if she ever refused to take down the most recent stuff (to me at least) because she hasn't said that she did and 10C hasn't publicly said anything. As such it doesn't seem fair to say that she did refuse.

Cool. Like I said, I don't think any of us know exactly how it all went down. I find it hard to believe they contacted her and said "Take it down." She said, "Sure. I'll do so right away, sir." And they then said, "Your blog is shitty."

Common sense seems to say there was another step somewhere in there, but who knows?
  • Options
    Kat wrote:

MISINFORMATION is not ok. Not about the band. Not about you or your family or anyone...it's hurtful and that could happen to anyone some day since it spreads so quickly online. The information about Pearl Jam's album distribution was going to be announced. It always is. The FALSE story that was promoted by people online about Target exclusively distributing Pearl Jam's music is still out there though...and that is the problem with rumors and misinformation online. It's still being spread because of the internets. That's all...just a little point that seems to be getting lost. I hope I have contributed something...I'm out.

xo

THIS is how a professional handles information. This couldn't have been a more gracious way of interjecting something into a pretty heated topic.
    Kat wrote:
    "The FALSE story that was promoted by people online about Target exclusively distributing Pearl Jam's music is still out there though..."

I think this is the first time I've seen it acknowledged that there will not be exclusive distribution by Target. Anyone else or am I alone in how I read this?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Now can we have what you said as a sticky, to stop all of this? And can we have better communication so it doesn't get to this point in the future? It's not an unrealistic thing to ask for. Please?

It always comes but it comes when it's ready and it shouldn't come sooner. You don't eat an apple pie that's half-baked, do you? The fruit must first be gently washed and peeled and lovingly sliced and diced and the dough created with the perfect ratio of ingredients so that it will be a flaky masterpiece cradling the fruit and complimenting each tasty bite. It's art...like anyone's job can be if we try.

And you know that everyone involved wants you all to enjoy and savor every tasty morsel for as long as it can last.

xo
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe they contacted her and said "Take it down." She said, "Sure. I'll do so right away, sir." And they then said, "Your blog is shitty."

Common sense seems to say there was another step somewhere in there, but who knows?

Too right. That's a pretty logical way to look at things. Nice!
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Kat wrote:

xo

THIS is how a professional handles information. This couldn't have been a more gracious way of interjecting something into a pretty heated topic.
    Kat wrote:
    "The FALSE story that was promoted by people online about Target exclusively distributing Pearl Jam's music is still out there though..."

I think this is the first time I've seen it acknowledged that there will not be exclusive distribution by Target. Anyone else or am I alone in how I read this?

Well, it's not exclusive by Target, because according to the Kelly Curtis interview, independent record stores will still be involved. Plus, Target isn't handling overseas distribution, either.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,879
    Is this getting out of hand?????

The band played a song on a late night show....

NOTHING MORE...NOTHING LESS!!!!!

They are going to release new music in a few months......

NOTHING MORE....NOTHING LESS!!!!!!!!!!!

They are going to play some concerts in a few months.........

NOTHING MORE .....NOTHING LESS!!!!!!!!!

Is this getting out of hand?????

GIVE ME A BREAK....

"Out of hand" is a fucking understatement.............

There are a lot of people here who need to go outside and breathe in some fresh air............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,753
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I think that's why 10C has been drawing some fire. In order for the 10C to live up to their end of the deal they made with Target Corp they need to protect their contribution to the new relationship. Personally I don't have a problem at all with them doing this. I just think it could've been handled more professionally.
    Exactly. I definitely agree that the band has the right to conduct their business in any way they see fit. And I know it must've been hard for the 10C troops to be caught between the band and the fans, but I had posts that had nothing to do with disseminating misinformation, which didn't discuss new music at all, and had no links deleted with "We do not point to sites that link to bootlegged music" as an explanation. The band doesn't owe me anything, but as a paying member of their fan club I felt I deserved at least some clarification. Hopefully we can all learn from the experience and move on.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    Kat wrote:

xo

no need to apologize, this is completely ON topic. I think a lot of people's problem, myself included, is the official reaction to the misinformation once the rumor has started. Instead of just coming on and saying, "this rumor is false," threads start getting deleted, and there is just one more thing we're not allowed to discuss. But we don't really understand why, so you end up with a lot of "Big Brother is watching...." threads.

If there is a false rumor out there, just say, "this rumor is false. details will be announced at the proper time. please discuss." We are your biggest fans, your base, and we come here specifically to discuss these little things that excite us that nobody else cares about. Like 20 seconds of poorly recorded new material. Handling things in this manner only serves to alienate us, and cause a tiny situation to balloon into a tornado of bitching.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    Kat wrote:
    It always comes but it comes when it's ready and it shouldn't come sooner. You don't eat an apple pie that's half-baked, do you? The fruit must first be gently washed and peeled and lovingly sliced and diced and the dough created with the perfect ratio of ingredients so that it will be a flaky masterpiece cradling the fruit and complimenting each tasty bite. It's art...like anyone's job can be if we try.

And you know that everyone involved wants you all to enjoy and savor every tasty morsel for as long as it can last.

xo

It's funny... I have the feeling that we're in for something big here. I'm starting to read it as this:

PJ didn't actually strike an exclusive distro deal with Target Corp seeing how they are still working to include independent record stores. Rather, they negotiated a deal where Target Corp would have to agree to perform several charitable acts and agree to handle their operations in a greener (for lack of a better term) way. PJ benefits from getting the dedicated promotional backing of a retailer that is in nearly every U.S. market. Target benefits by getting some exclusive content to drive people to their stores. We all benefit from the charitable giving and more efficient/greener distribution of goods to Target stores.

"Target ended up allowing us to have other partners. We'll be able to take care of all levels of the Pearl Jam fan...We wish we could tell the whole story right now, but all the deals aren't done. Target was cool enough to realize that little independent record stores are not their competition."
    -Kelly Curtis, Billboard online, http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/exclusive-pearl-jam-confirms-target-tie-1003978374.story
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,323
    If there is a false rumor out there, just say, "this rumor is false. details will be announced at the proper time. please discuss."

That's completely reasonable, but I think them reacting/responding to this kind of stuff would do more harm than good. Pissing into the wind.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited June 2009
    HeavyHands wrote:

Nope.. Curtis said so in his interview.

EDIT: Notes this was already answered.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited June 2009
    Kat wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

xo

I agree, we should/could wait until the finished product is ready. All I'm asking is for better and possibly more communication. That's all. There's no harm in communicating.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    Kat wrote:

xo

ooooOOOOoooo Kat... got my mouth watering!! :D:D
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    If there is a false rumor out there, just say, "this rumor is false. details will be announced at the proper time. please discuss."

That's completely reasonable, but I think them reacting/responding to this kind of stuff would do more harm than good. Pissing into the wind.

deleting threads is reacting/responding to this kind of stuff. and that does WAY more harm than good, IMO.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    If there is a false rumor out there, just say, "this rumor is false. details will be announced at the proper time. please discuss." We are your biggest fans, your base, and we come here specifically to discuss these little things that excite us that nobody else cares about. Like 20 seconds of poorly recorded new material. Handling things in this manner only serves to alienate us, and cause a tiny situation to balloon into a tornado of bitching.

exactly.

Very well said.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,323
    deleting threads is reacting/responding to this kind of stuff. and that does WAY more harm than good, IMO.

I understand, and you might be right. But I think them officially speaking/responding to these kinds of rumors would encourage more of them, and that there's nothing they could say that would satisfy people.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

One can't come out and say this rumor is false when part of it is true but it's not time yet to confirm anything because the arrangements haven't been completed and, and, and...

It's just not possible, I'm sorry...I really am. Again, Patience is Good.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant exclusive distribution by big box retailers. I understand that independent record stores are not going to be shut out on this one and never were. I am probably splitting hairs here but the sentence "including Target as the "big box" retail partner" doesn't actually exclude other big box partners. To me it just means that the PJ organization is going to make a joint marketing push with Target instead of others, where people will still be able to buy the new album. I know I'm probably wrong but it is something that just occurred to me.

"Kelly Curtis, who has managed Pearl Jam since day one, conducted a wide-ranging interview with Billboard on Sunday night, confirming that the band's next release - rumored to be called "Backspacer" and currently scheduled for an early fall release - would come without a U.S. label, but a consortium of partners, including Target as the "big box" retail partner."
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/exclusive-pearl-jam-confirms-target-tie-1003978374.story
  • Options
    mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    Kat wrote:

xo

mmmmmm apple pie,
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant exclusive distribution by big box retailers. I understand that independent record stores are not going to be shut out on this one and never were. I am probably splitting hairs here but the sentence "including Target as the "big box" retail partner" doesn't actually exclude other big box partners. To me it just means that the PJ organization is going to make a joint marketing push with Target instead of others, where people will still be able to buy the new album. I know I'm probably wrong but it is something that just occurred to me.

"Kelly Curtis, who has managed Pearl Jam since day one, conducted a wide-ranging interview with Billboard on Sunday night, confirming that the band's next release - rumored to be called "Backspacer" and currently scheduled for an early fall release - would come without a U.S. label, but a consortium of partners, including Target as the "big box" retail partner."
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/exclusive-pearl-jam-confirms-target-tie-1003978374.story

I read that as Target will be the only big-box retailer to carry the album.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I understand that independent record stores are not going to be shut out on this one and never were. I am probably splitting hairs here but the sentence including Target as the "big box" retail partner"

'the' not 'a'....

Yep... seems we are splitting hairs :lol:
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    edited June 2009
    Kat wrote:
    Patience is Good.

indeed it is.

and in this instantaneous internet world we live in, it truly has become a virture we have lost.
    Post edited by QuarterToTen on
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

I understand, and you might be right. But I think them officially speaking/responding to these kinds of rumors would encourage more of them, and that there's nothing they could say that would satisfy people.

It is definitely tricky, and I'm glad it's not my job. It's easy to criticize from my living room..hahaha...plus I'm sure hind sight is 20/20 in a lot of these cases. There are many different ways to address the situation, but banning talking about something does several things - it validates the rumor, it causes more people to talk about it more than they would have otherwise, and it alienates the people that love Pearl jam most.

">here</a>.
    or

This discussion has been closed.