Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    RIP “Chef of the Century,” Joël Robuchon. Died of cancer at age 73 today.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    RIP!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    BTW, I much prefer your other avatars of you.  You looked like you were having fun . Cubs NoHo Dyer is less likeable.

JK.  Do what you like - I like you, I just don't like the Cubs!  ;) 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited August 2018
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    So who has an easy recipe for a great authentic spaghetti sauce?  I have tomatoes coming hard and fast from the garden and I want to make a good authentic spaghetti sauce. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    blanch a couple of pounds of tomatoes
    skin, cut core out
    put in a saucepan
    cut an onion in half
    simmer on low, stirring on occasion
    mash the tomatoes up with your spoon
    salt to your taste
    once it is the way you like, consistency-wise, pull the halves of onion

That is it.  Mark Bittman, author of my bible, and as simple as it gets.

I used to do essentially the same thing but I would start a base with some olive oil heated...add a handful of chopped garlic and red pepper flakes...once they are right, add the tomatoes.

Six of one, half a dozen of another.  Depends if you want a little more kick to it.

For pizza sauce I add some good red wine as it bubbles.
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the response but I eat plenty of fresh tomatoes so I'm looking for something more.  A nice rich marinara with herbs and dense flavours for canning and using later right out of the jar.  
  • Options
    BTW, I much prefer your other avatars of you.  You looked like you were having fun . Cubs NoHo Dyer is less likeable.

Ha, I had a Cubs hat on in the old one, too.  :smiley::tongue:
  • Options

True but there was a dinosaur or something in the back to distract the eye from that
  • Options

True but there was a dinosaur or something in the back to distract the eye from that
    That was Sue the T-Rex, at the Chicago Field Museum.  And my sunglasses were also blocking the Cubs logo on the hat. :lol:
  • Options
    onions are up, lost about half of what I planted, that's average for me
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    rgambs said:
    Thanks, I appreciate the response but I eat plenty of fresh tomatoes so I'm looking for something more.  A nice rich marinara with herbs and dense flavours for canning and using later right out of the jar.  
    Generally speaking, fresh tomatoes don't have the depth of flavour for a rich tomato sauce. High quality canned tomatoes are usually better for marinara, bolognese, etc.
    However, if I had a some home grown tomatoes I would dive straight into a nice Puttanesca sauce. Southern Italian style.
    Heat some Extra Virgin oil. Toss in sliced garlic and some Anchovy fillets. Mash the Anchovies with a fork. They basically dissolve in the oil.
    (In the end most people won't know there are Anchovies in the sauce. The flavour blends in.)
    Add a bunch of capers and a handful of black olives.
    After a minute add your chopped tomatoes. Season. It only needs to cook for 10-15 minutes. 
    Throw your cooked spaghetti into the pan. Toss a few times. (Remember- always add pasta to the pan of sauce. Never sauce onto the pasta. This goes for any pasta.)
    Finish it on the plate with high quality Pecorino Romano.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    My new toy:

• Options
    I've always wondered about the Almazan knives.  I don't have facebook and apparently that's the only fucking way you can buy one, which is just stupid.  I'm sure they're well out of my price range anyway.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    From my garden to my dinner plate. What we have here are tomatoes, mozzarella and basil topped with Luger sauce....stuffed Mexibelle peppers (the red ones) and a stuffed regular bell pepper...and a thinly cut ribeye. 

Whoa doctor. The Mexibelle packs quite the punch. I didn’t devain them as much as I should have and the wife was NONE TOO PLEASED. I was not expecting them to be that hot. Tasty little fuckers. 

Tomatoes turned out really well this year. We were worried because they took longer to ripen than usual-probably because of all the rain. But man are they juicy. 

And there’s a glass of henepin from the ol’ garage kegerator that pairs nicely with everything because it is awesome. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I've always wondered about the Almazan knives.  I don't have facebook and apparently that's the only fucking way you can buy one, which is just stupid.  I'm sure they're well out of my price range anyway.
    They are nothing compared to Cutco’s
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    From my garden to my dinner plate. What we have here are tomatoes, mozzarella and basil topped with Luger sauce....stuffed Mexibelle peppers (the red ones) and a stuffed regular bell pepper...and a thinly cut ribeye. 

Whoa doctor. The Mexibelle packs quite the punch. I didn’t devain them as much as I should have and the wife was NONE TOO PLEASED. I was not expecting them to be that hot. Tasty little fuckers. 

Tomatoes turned out really well this year. We were worried because they took longer to ripen than usual-probably because of all the rain. But man are they juicy. 

And there’s a glass of henepin from the ol’ garage kegerator that pairs nicely with everything because it is awesome. 

That’s good stuff. Talk to me about the stuffed peppers. What’s in them?
  • Options
    Very nice!
  • Options
    I’m not a fan of tomatoes but those look good!!
  • Options
    Looking good @The Juggler!

I'll get some garden/produce pics going soon
  • Options

That’s good stuff. Talk to me about the stuffed peppers. What’s in them?
    Pretty basic. Lean ground beef, taco seasoning, water, and tomato sauce.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Crossed the river over to Minneapolis the other night to a place called Quang’s and chowed down on some pho (whole cow pho - sliced beef, tongue, tendon, and tripe), shrimp spring rolls, and a pork and egg steamed bun that was to die for.  I would have eaten four more of those buns if my wife wasn’t there to keep my gluttony in check.

I will say one of the best things about living in the Twin Cities is being able to grab a great bowl of world class noodles whenever I want.

• Options
    Crossed the river over to Minneapolis the other night to a place called Quang’s and chowed down on some pho (whole cow pho - sliced beef, tongue, tendon, and tripe), shrimp spring rolls, and a pork and egg steamed bun that was to die for.  I would have eaten four more of those buns if my wife wasn’t there to keep my gluttony in check.

I will say one of the best things about living in the Twin Cities is being able to grab a great bowl of world class noodles whenever I want.

That’s awesome. Philly has a big Vietnamese population and great pho as well, just so happens to be blocks from my house 
  • Options
    Pho vs Ramen - who wins?
    (I go Ramen but damn they are both good when done right!)
  • Options
    Pho vs Ramen - who wins?
    I’d go pho just because I haven’t had enough proper ramen and but have had a crap load of good pho
  • Options
    Pho vs Ramen - who wins?
    I’d go pho just because I haven’t had enough proper ramen and but have had a crap load of good pho
    Understandable.
    Living in LA for years the emphasis was more on Japanese food than Vietnamese food....so while I believe I have had Pho that knocks me over, the variety of good Ramen I have had makes my decision.
    Wheat noodles vs Rice noodles.
    Egg or no Egg?  (Although I have seen pho with eggs, just not usually whole eggs)
    Nori?

I have not found the Philly mecca for Ramen.  Need to seek this out.
  • Options
    I've never had a decent bowl of Asian noodles.  I suspect I wouldn't be bowled over (haha) because I tend to prefer bold flavours and even the very best broth or soup is usually just a side attraction to me.

Pros and cons to country living...
    I can grow and buy the absolute best possible ingredients for making amazing food.

I can't eat amazing food unless I make it myself.
  • Options
    I've never had pho but I've had really good ramen, so I can't really vote either way.  Where I live, if it isn't a chain restaurant or fast food, it doesn't exist - and we have very little variety of those to begin with.  So unless I'm out of town a couple hours, fine dining and good food just isn't a thing.  It sucks.
    The ramen shop in DC was freakin excellent though! I went right when the opened up and word hadn't got out about them yet. A month later they were featured in a magazine and they blew up to having a waiting list to get in.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    I've never had a decent bowl of Asian noodles.  I suspect I wouldn't be bowled over (haha) because I tend to prefer bold flavours and even the very best broth or soup is usually just a side attraction to me.

Pros and cons to country living...
    I can grow and buy the absolute best possible ingredients for making amazing food.

I can't eat amazing food unless I make it myself.
    Some of the Ramen shops in LA turned up the heat -- knowing how you like peppers, I think you would love some of them.
    Part of the attraction, at least for me, is that it can be anywhere from $6-$10 and you are pressed to eat it all.
    In a good bowl of Ramen you can get some great noodles, a soft boiled egg, pork, and some other nice items.
    One of the best things to eat on a Sunday afternoon  after partying throughout the weekend.  We would go, frequently, and eat in early afternoon (2-3 pm) and not need lunch/dinner. 
  • Options
    Next time I am in a real city, I might have to make it a priority.

A Ramen spot or Pho joint wouldn't serve Cashew chicken would they??