Options

Fan Club Scalpers

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Absolutely, the new system is going to encourage new members(high numbers) to shoot for the stars and test their luck for GA tickets. Why would they want to get stuck with less than desirable seats high up on the sides or behind the GA on the floor....

Yes, older members(lower numbers) will most likely play the better odds and take their chances on the reserved seating, thus kicking in the only real benefit of seniority left in the club with their membership number.

That is exactly what I have done for 3 out of 4 shows I have attempted since the start of GA lotto.
    I can def see the point Mayday is making, and there is absolutely truth to it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,237
    SS9981 said:

To Mr. MCCREADY,
    Have tried TicketMaster, as I did before. Nosebleeds high above back of stage, while tempting, are difficult at best for my wife & myself. As far as StubHub, we have a family to support, perhaps you don't, so the money aspect comes into play. I understand the "supply/demand" theory, but thank you for the update.
    But, don't you ever question my maturity. The disdain & disrespectful nature of your comments just proves my point all the more!

Just reading this jocularity now, and from what I see, Speedy quoted your previous post to illustrate that you and your family were able to enjoy a show with seats "higher up off the stage" and he said that he questioned the maturity of some others who will only go if they get GA, using you as an illustration of the exact opposite. Seems to me you completely misinterpreted him and then jumped on him. Just what I got from it.

Carry on.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

Absolutely, the new system is going to encourage new members(high numbers) to shoot for the stars and test their luck for GA tickets. Why would they want to get stuck with less than desirable seats high up on the sides or behind the GA on the floor....

Yes, older members(lower numbers) will most likely play the better odds and take their chances on the reserved seating, thus kicking in the only real benefit of seniority left in the club with their membership number.

That is exactly what I have done for 3 out of 4 shows I have attempted since the start of GA lotto.

They crappy thing was that with Cincy the odds were better going for GA... and I def wanted Reserved.
    Maybe an anomaly since it was the tour kickoff.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,237
    lolobugg said:

They crappy thing was that with Cincy the odds were better going for GA... and I def wanted Reserved.
    Maybe an anomaly since it was the tour kickoff.

May have had to do with the size of the pit and the allotment of reserved 10c got from LiveNation/Ticketmaster....possible for this show there were actually more GA available than reserved...it seemed that way for a couple shows last fall though we didn't have the odds feature then as a tool.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    lol @ "jocularity"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    jdopj said:

MayDay10 said:

people arent currently debating lottery vs F5.

its the ability for risk-free dummy 500xxx accounts to go for GA tickets when they should be put in a lottery after the fact.

People werent signing up 500xxx accounts to get extra on f5. There is no advantage in that. As it is now, I can X4 my chances for GA without even getting creative (*disclaimer: but I wont).

how many ids tou have??how many from your family and friends u will add and lets say boston u live will fly ti chicago for wrigley show??to pick up the tickets??how many shows they play close to your hometown??how often?every year??will u buy membership to all friends and wife without know they will tour for sure this year,?u can only score tix only if was a member before the tour announcement....the scenarios are unreal..when they tour for only 10-15 shows every 2 years at usa..where u can list the ticket as fan club and not get reported thw same day??
    Example: my buddy and I have been in the 10c for awhile. We would take friends, family, and wives under our tickets, because they would be the better seats.

New system: sign up friends, family, wives we would normally take under our tickets in the 10c for increased odds and more opportunities for GA.
    Instead of 2 people going for tix, now it's 4.

Not the same as 100 tix for 500 accounts. Now 100 tix for 750 accounts. Worse odds.

Not sure how you all don't see that this is happening.
    lets say tonigh you sign 10 new memnerships..20x 10= 200$
    you know how many shows will play this band till 2015 june at your country or near u??fir have chance to score?..let me help u..Zero..
    next year you sign again??another 200$??
    how many shows will do at 2016??
    what if us like 2012?? europe..eddie solo and usa festivals??how many shiws will see with your memberahip??Zero...
    lets say at 2016 after your third 200$ all score 10c tix...who will pick them if u live at boston and they do west cost shows???how many wifes can follow u?how many fake ids and fake faces u can wear at box office??this working for a couple ..both wife and husband has memberships..both win trade tix for another shiw..as happena before lottery
    whay if all loose??u will cintinue pauly members
    we are talking about scenarios isnt working
    and
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    you do know the weeks before an announcement, we generally know the framework of cities. I dont think its ever come out of the blue. Plus we get the "get your memberships up to date" warning shot.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited June 2014
    how many rumors we had for May canada tour and shows at east cost??..so lets say someone add 5 memnerrahips..april 2014-april2015.u know how many shows will play at thatt period at canada and east cost??
    zero
    you just spent 100$ for nothing
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    there were no solid rumors for the East coast. We pretty much had confirmation it would be mid-West
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have been around this circle too many times and keep getting drawn back in and repeating the same arguments. I believe they do have merit and I know it has been posted enough for someone who matters in 10c to consider whether or not there is merit or improvements to come out of it. I also believe the suggestions are 100% equitable to fans of all seniority levels, much more than the current framework. Its a lot more sophisticated than "F5!" Or "Seniority should have preference!" which I feel my point of view gets lumped into.

I guess I am most vocal because like I said, people in my 10c# range, say 275xxx through 400xxx are especially disadvantaged in this system due to the number of newer members going for GA... and old/longtime members grabbing reserved. I also typically go to shows with a non-member or alone, so I feel Im already starting out with a 50% less chance than most to even get the tickets now.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    JimmyV said:

jamburger said:

How many more albums/tour cycles do you think this band has left in them that would make any of this matter?

The elephant in the room. I do worry they will follow the R.E.M. model. One day we will wake up to a statement out of the blue and they will be gone.

I have friends who laugh at me for going to so many shows. My response is always the same. "They won't be around forever."

It's true, but I don't like thinking about. Back to burying my head in the sand on this one. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I would say the amount of 10c members selling their tickets for profit is the same percentage as before the lottery. I have no proof but there aren't a lot out there. Let's say you wanted to score a pair of GA for $1000 for Detroit. Where do you find the tickets? Stubhub? No. There just aren't many out there except for these occasional listings.
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    My thoughts if anyone is interested...

As a kid I'd go with my dad to football. We had season tickets at Arsenal but away games,cup games was not a guarantee to get tickets so dad would hit up touts outside to game. It was the norm to me. Dad would be away on holiday and I'd have the spare tix to sell as a gift from dad so essentially I was touting tix to Arsenal 5/6 times a season.

As I got older and we no longer had season tickets I'd use touts. And to see bands. I also tried touting a bunch of Aerosmith tickets once but took a bath.

The second band I ever saw was Judas Priest from the back row upstairs at the Hammersmith Odeon. Never again I swore.

So I kept using touts,got good n bad deals.

Then I started to think. Fans with spares mostly don't want to sell to scalpers. There's always a box office pick up. There are always spares. But it needs patience and a little faith on the day.

For years now I've always sold a spare at face,traded or given it away.

Touts/scalpers are part of life. I don't like them as they pretty much always feel seedy. And even if you'd guarantee me a great income I'd hate the 'job'.

We don't have to buy from touts. 10c tix get traded,sold for face I'd guess 98% of the time.

This is a very long thread about a couple of people trying their luck.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2014
    MayDay10 said:

I have been around this circle too many times and keep getting drawn back in and repeating the same arguments. I believe they do have merit and I know it has been posted enough for someone who matters in 10c to consider whether or not there is merit or improvements to come out of it. I also believe the suggestions are 100% equitable to fans of all seniority levels, much more than the current framework. Its a lot more sophisticated than "F5!" Or "Seniority should have preference!" which I feel my point of view gets lumped into.

I guess I am most vocal because like I said, people in my 10c# range, say 275xxx through 400xxx are especially disadvantaged in this system due to the number of newer members going for GA... and old/longtime members grabbing reserved. I also typically go to shows with a non-member or alone, so I feel Im already starting out with a 50% less chance than most to even get the tickets now.

Feel your frustrations. 237xxx and this system moved me back. Sucks to have paid year after year inching your way forward and Bam, rules change.

In grand scheme of things it's minor and is what it is.

Just so grateful PJ still puts out great music and plays live.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

For one reason or another the 10club has gone to a lottery system. Personally I think they did it partially because of 'supply and demand", and partially to give every member here a fair chance of sitting or standing up close to the stage. Either way, it is what it is. Yet some long time members, who lose out on the lottery, now refuse to go to shows because they may have to sit a little farther from the stage? To me, those members are acting like 3 year olds.

The main reason is the lottery won't cause the website to crash. There is probably a good chance that the ticketing method wouldn't have changed if the F5 scenarios hadn't changed. The lottery won't change ever again because they don't want to risk another ticket mess. Think about how many bad F5 sales it took before they finally changed (they were spending a lot of time/resoursces to not go to a lottery). Finally when the third party used for the Euro 2012 failed they probably gave up and went with the lottery.

I really think that was the main reason for the change. The lottery for Rows 1-2 and 9-10 were probably sufficient enough to keep the front rows changing.
  • Options
    jamburger said:

How many more albums/tour cycles do you think this band has left in them that would make any of this matter?

I think at least 5-10 years. It is easy for them now (like Ed said at PJ20). Too much easy money.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Lottery is great, Perfect solution to avoid fked up F5 and gives everyone fair shot. As fair as possible.

GA happened due to increased number of people to put in same area $$$ and is probably more fun for band and more folks get close.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Yes, GA is cool and I get it.

However it should not be a separate lottery choice. I like the idea of having a sub-lottery for a more even distribution.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804

For one reason or another the 10club has gone to a lottery system. Personally I think they did it partially because of 'supply and demand", and partially to give every member here a fair chance of sitting or standing up close to the stage. Either way, it is what it is. Yet some long time members, who lose out on the lottery, now refuse to go to shows because they may have to sit a little farther from the stage? To me, those members are acting like 3 year olds.

The main reason is the lottery won't cause the website to crash. There is probably a good chance that the ticketing method wouldn't have changed if the F5 scenarios hadn't changed. The lottery won't change ever again because they don't want to risk another ticket mess. Think about how many bad F5 sales it took before they finally changed (they were spending a lot of time/resoursces to not go to a lottery). Finally when the third party used for the Euro 2012 failed they probably gave up and went with the lottery.

I really think that was the main reason for the change. The lottery for Rows 1-2 and 9-10 were probably sufficient enough to keep the front rows changing.
    I stand corrected.
    You are 100% correct.
    F5 and all the nonsense that went along with it is the main reason we now have the lottery system.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

I stand corrected.
    You are 100% correct.
    F5 and all the nonsense that went along with it is the main reason we now have the lottery system.
    Hopefully I didn't sound like I was lecturing or I was a know-it-all.

I just put myself in Tim Bierman's shoes. Would I ever want to have to deal with the roasting he took during the PJ20 SiriusXM show? I think his vote is going to be a controlled lottery every time.
  • Options
    Nami said:

Nami said:

The person is a douche, plain and simple. I've made decent $ over the years as a re-seller, including VH (3rd Row Center) and Prince (2nd Row Center) tickets that I sold for over $1,000 each. As my name here implies, I'm an addict... I use my profits to fund my concert addiction. In the case of VH, I netted about $650 after buying another really good seat, and Prince I netted a little over $100 and got a 2nd Row Left seat. (face on Prince's "VIPs" was about $450.... and the VIP was meaningless... no extras.)

That said, the two times I got GA from PJ were for Missoula and Seattle, which were very far from home. It was very tempting to list one of them on CL for a large profit to help defray my travel costs, but I respected the band's wishes. I sold both at cost to a 10C fan, and Seattle I could have gotten $500 from a guy standing by the Will Call window... I still didn't have the other guy's $, but I wasn't going to fuck him and take the extra $400+.

Fuck this Detroit douche. Karma, Bay-BEE... Karma.

this is funny...sorry but your wrong on so many counts
    Didn't realize I had more than a few counts ;) Where did I really drop the ball?
    Don't see the difference between your actions and Detroit seller first of all.... Selling at a profit for your own benefit for non 10c tix..

Good on you for selling you 10c for face. Does that excuse you to other fan groups for selling above value?

But then you call them a douche? And bring karma into it?

Happy Saturday
    Sorry... just seeing this. The difference is that the other tickets were all TicketMaster only purchases... they had nothing to do with fan clubs. I guess the main difference for me its that I'm willing to go to the show... I generally buy a single ticket or a pair, knowing that I'm willing to use it. In the case of Van Halen, I put it up for STOOOOPID money... never expecting anyone to buy it. But someone did. If they didn't, I'd have used the seat. That's the thing... I buy a ticket that I want to use, but sometimes put it up for sale at a price for which I just couldn't say no. If no one buys it, poor me... I have to go see Billy Joel in the 7th row. If they do buy it, then we're both happy. I don't have a single computer terminal locking up hundreds of tickets the second they go on sale, which is what the brokers have, and I don't ignore the band's wishes for the fan clubs from which I buy. I think it's a difference, but you're welcome to view it differently.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,089

Nami said:

Nami said:

The person is a douche, plain and simple. I've made decent $ over the years as a re-seller, including VH (3rd Row Center) and Prince (2nd Row Center) tickets that I sold for over $1,000 each. As my name here implies, I'm an addict... I use my profits to fund my concert addiction. In the case of VH, I netted about $650 after buying another really good seat, and Prince I netted a little over $100 and got a 2nd Row Left seat. (face on Prince's "VIPs" was about $450.... and the VIP was meaningless... no extras.)

That said, the two times I got GA from PJ were for Missoula and Seattle, which were very far from home. It was very tempting to list one of them on CL for a large profit to help defray my travel costs, but I respected the band's wishes. I sold both at cost to a 10C fan, and Seattle I could have gotten $500 from a guy standing by the Will Call window... I still didn't have the other guy's $, but I wasn't going to fuck him and take the extra $400+.

Fuck this Detroit douche. Karma, Bay-BEE... Karma.

this is funny...sorry but your wrong on so many counts
    Didn't realize I had more than a few counts ;) Where did I really drop the ball?
    Don't see the difference between your actions and Detroit seller first of all.... Selling at a profit for your own benefit for non 10c tix..

Good on you for selling you 10c for face. Does that excuse you to other fan groups for selling above value?

But then you call them a douche? And bring karma into it?

Happy Saturday
    Sorry... just seeing this. The difference is that the other tickets were all TicketMaster only purchases... they had nothing to do with fan clubs. I guess the main difference for me its that I'm willing to go to the show... I generally buy a single ticket or a pair, knowing that I'm willing to use it. In the case of Van Halen, I put it up for STOOOOPID money... never expecting anyone to buy it. But someone did. If they didn't, I'd have used the seat. That's the thing... I buy a ticket that I want to use, but sometimes put it up for sale at a price for which I just couldn't say no. If no one buys it, poor me... I have to go see Billy Joel in the 7th row. If they do buy it, then we're both happy. I don't have a single computer terminal locking up hundreds of tickets the second they go on sale, which is what the brokers have, and I don't ignore the band's wishes for the fan clubs from which I buy. I think it's a difference, but you're welcome to view it differently.
    I'm a bit like you, I go to a lot of shows and I usually score great tickets. I've never been shut out of a show I've tried to get tickets for. I would never sell tickets for over face value, it's just against my personal ethics. It's not because of 10C rules.

I could, and I've thought about it in the past, it's easy money, like you say. But it would be a dick move, so I don't.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I'm with you. I wouldn't sell for over face value ever, no matter where the tickets are from, because it's against my principles. Doing that contributes to the overall problem of outrageous prices for concert tickets on the secondary market. Sorry, concertaholic, but just because you're not scalping fan club tix doesn't make it okay for those of us who hate the fact that people are getting shut out from concerts because people like you are posting their tix for outrageous prices and rich people are buying them. IMO that totally sucks and I won't participate in that bullshit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i have 8 new cousins
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

just because you're not scalping fan club tix doesn't make it okay for those of us who hate with the fact that people are getting shut out from concerts because people like you are posting their tix for outrageous prices and rich people are buying them. IMO that totally sucks and I won't participate in that bullshit.

+1
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    good mojo, bad mojo,

Instant Karma's gonna get you
    Gonna knock you off your feet
    Better recognize your brothers
    Everyone you meet

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Scalper will be identified and dealt with. Please forward any scalper info to: santos_l_halper@tenclub.net
    slh

Holy shit that's bad ass!

Thanks, Santos!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    bazzer said:

I could, and I've thought about it in the past, it's easy money, like you say. But it would be a dick move, so I don't.

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I wouldn't sell for over face value ever, no matter where the tickets are from, because it's against my principles. Doing that contributes to the overall problem of outrageous prices for concert tickets on the secondary market. Sorry, concertaholic, but just because you're not scalping fan club tix doesn't make it okay for those of us who hate the fact that people are getting shut out from concerts because people like you are posting their tix for outrageous prices and rich people are buying them. IMO that totally sucks and I won't participate in that bullshit.

See... I don't get this... I don't begrudge you your opinion, but I don't get it. IMO, you would have a point if I were always buying up 20 tickets or so and doing this, but most of the time it's a single ticket. What's the difference to you if it's me sitting in the 3rd row for VH, or some hedge fund douchebag (sure... to some, there's no difference, since you think I'm a douchebag, too, but I digress)? On numerous occasions adding up to well over $1K, I've given away tickets to people who needed a 'miracle' when I've fucked up and double bought for 2 different shows the same night, when I've upgraded at the last minute because the box office released new seats, or when friends had to bail at the last minute for tix we were supposed to use together. I'm not a complete mercenary fuck, but what is so wrong about offering up my single 7th Row Billy Joel seat in November for stupid $ if I plan on and am more than willing to go myself if no one bites? The brokers own thousands of other tickets for that show... I'm not THE problem, and I really don't see how I'm even A problem with the way I do it. Whatevah...
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I would buy your Billy Joel ticket. But not for stupid money.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I would give you stupid money, but not for a Billy Joel ticket