Options

Fan Club Scalpers

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564

bazzer said:

I could, and I've thought about it in the past, it's easy money, like you say. But it would be a dick move, so I don't.

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I wouldn't sell for over face value ever, no matter where the tickets are from, because it's against my principles. Doing that contributes to the overall problem of outrageous prices for concert tickets on the secondary market. Sorry, concertaholic, but just because you're not scalping fan club tix doesn't make it okay for those of us who hate the fact that people are getting shut out from concerts because people like you are posting their tix for outrageous prices and rich people are buying them. IMO that totally sucks and I won't participate in that bullshit.

See... I don't get this... I don't begrudge you your opinion, but I don't get it. IMO, you would have a point if I were always buying up 20 tickets or so and doing this, but most of the time it's a single ticket. What's the difference to you if it's me sitting in the 3rd row for VH, or some hedge fund douchebag (sure... to some, there's no difference, since you think I'm a douchebag, too, but I digress)? On numerous occasions adding up to well over $1K, I've given away tickets to people who needed a 'miracle' when I've fucked up and double bought for 2 different shows the same night, when I've upgraded at the last minute because the box office released new seats, or when friends had to bail at the last minute for tix we were supposed to use together. I'm not a complete mercenary fuck, but what is so wrong about offering up my single 7th Row Billy Joel seat in November for stupid $ if I plan on and am more than willing to go myself if no one bites? The brokers own thousands of other tickets for that show... I'm not THE problem, and I really don't see how I'm even A problem with the way I do it. Whatevah...
    It doesn't matter to me who is in the seat. What matters to me is that with EACH AND EVERY ticket that is posted and sold for an inflated price, the price of EVERY SINGLE OTHER TICKET on the secondary market can be affected. If you sell your ticket for $1000, or even POST it for that much, that has a role in inflating the going price of all tickets on the secondary market. Your actions have a much wider influence that you seem to realize. Your attitude seems to be, "but it's only one ticket, what's the big deal?" .... Okay.... so if 100 other people think the same thing? You need to realize that you are very much contributing to the problem of inflated secondary market ticket prices. Lol, stop undercutting your influence. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    dude i dont care what you do but i felt that when you called out the Detroit seller for their actions, in my opinion you were doing the same thing. regardless of what you use your profit for, you did profit, like the detroit seller.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Why don't they number the GA tickets randomly for the line to get in. You start lining up at said time. Eliminates the list people. For those that don't care about lining up they just go in as usual. Probably makes too much sense though.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    ldent42 said:

I would buy your Billy Joel ticket. But not for stupid money.

Already sold, and I very well might have done that for you if it hadn't.
    MayDay10 said:

I would give you stupid money, but not for a Billy Joel ticket

I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.
    PJ_Soul said:

You need to realize that you are very much contributing to the problem of inflated secondary market ticket prices. Lol, stop undercutting your influence. ;)

Am I? Again, if I was buying up all the seats in all the good sections, that might applicable. If it's a single 2nd or 3rd row seat, that shit has been selling for top $ since well before my first show back in the early 1980s. I think you're overestimating my influence ;)
    Nami said:

dude i dont care what you do but i felt that when you called out the Detroit seller for their actions, in my opinion you were doing the same thing. regardless of what you use your profit for, you did profit, like the detroit seller.

Again... I don't see shame in making profit. TicketMaster has it's own reselling site. StubHub thrives, and has helped me get into events I wouldn't have otherwise. To me, the important distinction is that I obey fan club rules. PJ, AC/DC, NIN, Radiohead, Beck, Coldplay, Paul Simon, etc. have all offered tickets (the latter 4 in VERY SMALL venues) where I could have make HUGE $, but it was clear that they didn't want re-selling, and I respected their wishes and let friends or strangers have the tickets at face value. Prince, Van Halen, Billy Joel, etc. don't seem to give a damn as long as their tix sell. You might not think it, but I feel this is a key distinction.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564
    edited August 2014
    You're just not getting it I guess. One ticket or a block of seats. It affects secondary ticket prices. Just one $1000 CL sale/post has a real affect on what others buy and sell for. It very much contributes to the problem. Plus, the principle of it is a factor. You seem to actually be acting against your own principles, which is never a good thing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    concertaholicshirtconcertaholicshirt Posts: 263
    edited August 2014
    How am I acting against my own principle? My principle is to respect bands like PJ who implore me not to resell my 10C tix at a profit. Again, in Seattle this past Dec, a guy was offering $500 at the Will Call Window for a GA seat, and I stuck by my principle to sell it to the guy I said I would... at face. I could have screwed that guy over and took the $400+ in profit... we lived on separate coasts.... he wasn't an old friend or anything. But I didn't... I stuck by my principles, and never offered the tix for anything but face in the first place.

That said, I disagree with your overall premise. Again... decades before CL, StubHub, etc. existed, brokers were buying up all the good seats. I remember often being the 3rd, 7th or 10th person on line at the local head shop as tickets went up on TicketMaster on a Saturday morning, and winding up in nose bleed seats. Me offering a Van Halen 3rd row center ticket for over $1K doesn't affect the prices of tix that are in the back of or not even on the floor... I just don't think it does. At Prince, if the guy went on TicketMaster instead of StubHub, he could have bought for face value the seat 5 over from the one he did, which is exactly what I did on TicketMaster the minute after he bought mine on StubHub. That's just me profiting off of someone who has stupid amounts of money and is too lazy/dumb to check 2 sites. How am I the bad guy there?
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

• Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,089

That's just me profiting off of someone who has stupid amounts of money and is too lazy/dumb to check 2 sites. How am I the bad guy there?

How are you the bad guy for profiting off someone stupider than you? Um...

I guess I just wonder why you'd buy that second ticket on Ticketmaster?

Are you going to go, so you need a ticket? If so, you could've kept your original ticket and let someone "smart" enough to check two sites pick up the face value ticket.

Are you not going to go, so just want to grab another face value ticket to sell for a profit to stupid people? If so, I don't know what to say to that.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Do you happen to have any phish Halloween tickets? If so, please PM me :)
  • Options
    bean8969bean8969 Posts: 99
    When are those Earth, Wind and Fire tickets coming in? I'm planning on taking my little brother over here.
  • Options
    concertaholicshirtconcertaholicshirt Posts: 263
    edited October 2014
    bazzer said:

That's just me profiting off of someone who has stupid amounts of money and is too lazy/dumb to check 2 sites. How am I the bad guy there?

How are you the bad guy for profiting off someone stupider than you? Um...
    I didn't say he was dumber than me, overall, he just was dumb or lazy in that instance, and clearly has more money than he needs.
    I guess I just wonder why you'd buy that second ticket on Ticketmaster?
    Because he bought mine on StubHub, and I wanted to go.
    Are you going to go, so you need a ticket? If so, you could've kept your original ticket and let someone "smart" enough to check two sites pick up the face value ticket.
    Or, I could see Prince in the 2nd Row for free and still have about $60 left over to pay for gas & food to get there and back. If that makes me an Evil Profiteer to you, so be it.

Heck... when PJ went on sale for this tour and I got shut out the main show I wanted on fan club tix, I had to buy on the public sale. All I could find was a halfway decent single seat for myself on the lower level, and a pair of nose bleeds in the back. I was online here at 10C offering to buy the nosebleeds for any fan at cost before the time ran out. No one acted quick enough, so I just let the tix go... I'm not a complete dick about this stuff. Not fer nuthin', but I'm not out trading on people's love and loyalty to stuff another Halloween shirt down their throats to get a few more $ profit for The Corporation. And that's in no way to disparage PJ or their operation... more power to them, but let's have a little perspective here.

Do you happen to have any phish Halloween tickets? If so, please PM me :)

No, but if my buddy doesn't come to town, maybe we can work something out for Jane's Addiction at the Odgen in Denver.... yup... the FREAKIN' OGDEN!!! How awesome is that gonna be? Just saw Hank3 there last night... what a show that was.
    Post edited by concertaholicshirt on
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

• Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    lolobugg said:

Agree^^^ he is just playing the loop hole that is general admission. It is def not in the spirit of the 10 club community. but i can't condemn him... who knows what his situation is. maybe he lost his job and has kids that he needs to feed... yeah i know i am a bleeding heart liberal.

Hey! Nothing wrong with seeing the big picture, lolobugg, you are not a bleeding heart, you are a Pearl Jam fan. I wasn't crazy about the earlier suggestion to kick the guy's ass- there's no reason for that!!
    The truth that there are nasty people in the world always stings, especially in our little 10 Club world, where everyone else is so nice :x
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,442
    bean8969 said:

When are those Earth, Wind and Fire tickets coming in? I'm planning on taking my little brother over here.

No, I don't have any B O C tickets!

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    bgirl59 said:

lolobugg said:

Agree^^^ he is just playing the loop hole that is general admission. It is def not in the spirit of the 10 club community. but i can't condemn him... who knows what his situation is. maybe he lost his job and has kids that he needs to feed... yeah i know i am a bleeding heart liberal.

Hey! Nothing wrong with seeing the big picture, lolobugg, you are not a bleeding heart, you are a Pearl Jam fan. I wasn't crazy about the earlier suggestion to kick the guy's ass- there's no reason for that!!
    The truth that there are nasty people in the world always stings, especially in our little 10 Club world, where everyone else is so nice :x
    thanks, bgirl59.
    your post was very nice to read first thing this morning.
    hope you make it out to some shows on this tour.
    just saw them in Cinci and it was AMAZING!!!
    and all the fans that I met there were awesome.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore