Options

Fan Club Scalpers

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564

Dear Ten Clubbers and/or Intrepid Moderators,
    Please take a few moments to check out this abhorrent disgrace:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tix/4492818865.html

This is a firsthand example of how true fans get shat on. To quote the Craigslist poster, "rock on"...

-Hypnotist Collector

The lottery is heaven on earth for scalpers.

Best possible situation for them.
    That is not actually true. Hardly any scalpers mess with fan club tix. Not worth the trouble.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    So, lolobugg, you think this scalper is a kind of modern day Jean Valjean? Santos will have to be our Javert.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

Nami said:

The person is a douche, plain and simple. I've made decent $ over the years as a re-seller, including VH (3rd Row Center) and Prince (2nd Row Center) tickets that I sold for over $1,000 each. As my name here implies, I'm an addict... I use my profits to fund my concert addiction. In the case of VH, I netted about $650 after buying another really good seat, and Prince I netted a little over $100 and got a 2nd Row Left seat. (face on Prince's "VIPs" was about $450.... and the VIP was meaningless... no extras.)

That said, the two times I got GA from PJ were for Missoula and Seattle, which were very far from home. It was very tempting to list one of them on CL for a large profit to help defray my travel costs, but I respected the band's wishes. I sold both at cost to a 10C fan, and Seattle I could have gotten $500 from a guy standing by the Will Call window... I still didn't have the other guy's $, but I wasn't going to fuck him and take the extra $400+.

Fuck this Detroit douche. Karma, Bay-BEE... Karma.

this is funny...sorry but your wrong on so many counts
    Didn't realize I had more than a few counts ;) Where did I really drop the ball?
    Don't see the difference between your actions and Detroit seller first of all.... Selling at a profit for your own benefit for non 10c tix..

Good on you for selling you 10c for face. Does that excuse you to other fan groups for selling above value?

But then you call them a douche? And bring karma into it?

Happy Saturday

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    PJ_Soul said:

Dear Ten Clubbers and/or Intrepid Moderators,
    Please take a few moments to check out this abhorrent disgrace:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tix/4492818865.html

This is a firsthand example of how true fans get shat on. To quote the Craigslist poster, "rock on"...

-Hypnotist Collector

The lottery is heaven on earth for scalpers.

Best possible situation for them.
    That is not actually true. Hardly any scalpers mess with fan club tix. Not worth the trouble.
    Yep..scalping has nothing to do with method selling tix...whatever people dont knkw or like thwy blame lottery...for some people..lottery ..is like communism
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2014
    MayDay10 said:

The system unfortunately makes this very easy to do. Been saying this for a year now

People scalped their tickets under the old system, especially guys with low numbers that could guarantee tickets in the first 10 rows... i personally have heard of members funding entire road trips/vacations by selling their pairs under the old non GA system... it is a lot easier to sell a ticket in the 5th row then it is to sell a GA ticket where people have to wait in line and battle for position... and we all know F5 was actually easier for veterans to get tickets than the lottery is (I never got shut out in the past)... I actually think this lottery system and GA eliminates a lot of the hijinks

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

MayDay10 said:

The system unfortunately makes this very easy to do. Been saying this for a year now

People scalped their tickets under the old system, especially guys with low numbers that could guarantee tickets in the first 10 rows... i personally have heard of members funding entire road trips/vacations by selling their pairs under the old non GA system... it is a lot easier to sell a ticket in the 5th row then it is to sell a GA ticket where people have to wait in line and battle for position... and we all know F5 was actually easier for veterans to get tickets than the lottery is (I never got shut out in the past)... I actually think this lottery system and GA eliminates a lot of the hijinks

Yep..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited May 2014
    Can't duplicate low numbers. Can duplicate ga chances.

And I'm not advocating f5 in any way
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

You cant list anywhere ga tix for sale..every knows is 10c..so u could easily reported to 10c
  • Options
    F5 forever!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    mcrok said:

they could do the ticketless entry...you'd have to swipe your credit card at the gate to get in...i see it coming

Agree.

Went to two Red Hot Chili Peppers' shows last year and they were ticketless.

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    scurtis said:

mcrok said:

they could do the ticketless entry...you'd have to swipe your credit card at the gate to get in...i see it coming

Agree.

Went to two Red Hot Chili Peppers' shows last year and they were ticketless.

The problem there is that not everyone bought their tix with their own credit card. I'm sure there are tons of people who got someone else to pay for their tix for them but don't bring them to the show. I.e. teenagers, spouses of the one who paid, people who were broke and got a friend to pay, etc.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Yep..

dude, i haven't seen you in this part of the forum for some time now... welcome back \m/
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

Yep..

dude, i haven't seen you in this part of the forum for some time now... welcome back \m/
    Exactly where da f you been? Lol
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    PJ_Soul said:

10C really needs to tweek its ticket pickup policy - force people to enter the venue and then pick up their tix/wristband inside the door, and put on said wristband there too. That would make it impossible to scalp GA tix. Sure it would take a bit more manpower to make sure it went smoothly, but big deal. I've seen it work, so it's totally doable. But meanwhile, incentives see that SLH is going to try and take some action!

I agree with this. I'm sure other bands do it, but at the Tom Waits show a few years back I had to swipe my CC inside the venue, at which time my tickets were printed and immediately ripped before I even had a chance to touch them, leaving ZERO room for scalping. It's a very doable system which PJ should consider.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    Nami said:

Yep..

;)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040

Nami said:

Yep..

;)
    LOOK WHO'S BACK!!!

YES!!!!
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306

PJ_Soul said:

10C really needs to tweek its ticket pickup policy - force people to enter the venue and then pick up their tix/wristband inside the door, and put on said wristband there too. That would make it impossible to scalp GA tix. Sure it would take a bit more manpower to make sure it went smoothly, but big deal. I've seen it work, so it's totally doable. But meanwhile, incentives see that SLH is going to try and take some action!

I agree with this. I'm sure other bands do it, but at the Tom Waits show a few years back I had to swipe my CC inside the venue, at which time my tickets were printed and immediately ripped before I even had a chance to touch them, leaving ZERO room for scalping. It's a very doable system which PJ should consider.
    This is the way Altitude Tickets does it with flash tickets at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Otherwise they charge $25 for mail or will call.You can also transfer them between credit cards online.

I assume Ten Club will have them all printed and in envelopes,since they did not say you would need to bring your cards, but it seems technically possible they could have used the flash tickets.

Charles
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

seriously folks, yes he/she is a jag for violating the sacred no scalp pact, but physical violence really? Joke or not, call for his membership to be revoked, but Santos violence requests, this is not the mafia, and Santos is not Don Corleone

Agreed. Terminate his Ten Club membership for life and please, no threats of physical violence. Not a good message.

Interesting fan club story that I've read recently: there was a Metclub member (Metallica fan club) that was shutout of the metclub for their metallica by request show in bogota, Colombia in March 2014. The reason: it was discovered that all metclub actually the exact same code and someone leaked the code so that the non-metclub people buy tickets.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981

Scalper will be identified and dealt with. Please forward any scalper info to: santos_l_halper@tenclub.net
    slh

awesome

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

You cant list anywhere ga tix for sale..every knows is 10c..so u could easily reported to 10c

Yes. But it's a lot harder or impossible to replace a good fan club number. If someone who recently joined or is using fluff memberships and taking advantage is caught, they can still go to the end of the line and still specify they want the best seats and really haven't lost anything.

And I'm sure there are plenty of ways to sell ga tickets other than waiving a flag like an idiot on Craigs list.

• Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited June 2014
    If you want this person banned do not contact them. Let Santos do his thing. If everyone starts sending him hate mail the ad will go down and they will sell them day of show at the event and will never be found/banned.

PJ tries hard to stop this so we just need to let 10c do their thing. Linkin Park let you sign up for their fan club during the club pre-sale right on ticketmaster when you bought 'their fan club' tickets, which happened to be GA. If you go look on stubhub there are hundreds of fan club tickets for sale for each show. That is shatting on your true fans for extra fan club dues. After hearing the Sublime beef with them I get it. Linkin Park are douches.

Despite all that happens people here are generally respectful and I 10c does a good job keeping everyone on the straight and narrow. Just report it to 10c and don't get your panties in a wad too much over it. Overall people are here for their love of PJ minus a few tools.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,805
    So this guy is selling his fan club tickets for a profit?

No different than the lying, cheating, and backstabbing I have witnessed over the years, in regards to the precious tickets.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

So, lolobugg, you think this scalper is a kind of modern day Jean Valjean? Santos will have to be our Javert.

OMG.. i feel stupid because I had to look up your reference... :))

I guess maybe I was projecting a little. but i am against violence. I wonder if Santos identified him yet? Does anyone know if the posting is still up on Craigslist?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SV45424SV45424 Posts: 27
    there's another jag bag selling his milwaukee GA pair for $2300+ APIECE! Insane. Scalpers becoming fan club members for this very reason. Taking advantage of the real diehard fans that miss out on lottery tickets.
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    SV45424 said:

there's another jag bag selling his milwaukee GA pair for $2300+ APIECE! Insane. Scalpers becoming fan club members for this very reason. Taking advantage of the real diehard fans that miss out on lottery tickets.

Who the hell in their right mind would even pay that?? I wouldn't even pay close to that for GUARANTEED front row seats...
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    lolobugg said:

OMG.. i feel stupid because I had to look up your reference... :))

I guess maybe I was projecting a little. but i am against violence. I wonder if Santos identified him yet? Does anyone know if the posting is still up on Craigslist?
    Yes it is still up and it is now 1500 dollars.

• Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    I attempted to contact him and he is not answering any emails... I think he is pricing the market
  • Options
    SV45424 said:

Tell Santos where you saw the ad.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,206
    PJ_Soul said:

I would disagree. Last year when it was a new thing I don't think scalpers had much (if any time) to adjust to the new system of a GA pit section in the front. Now that Pearl Jam has sort of set it as their new path, scalpers can now expect it. All they have to do is sign up all of their staff for memberships for $20/piece. If they enter GA for each one, even with a 1/5 chance, thats a pair of GA tickets for $100 premium. They can probably sell them for thousands because they are so hard to get. It's a huge incentive.

The longer they do a seperate lotto for the GA the more ripe it is for abuse. I would think the easy way to deal with it, is to do one lotto per show, and random draw for GA (include an opt out button for people that don't want ga). That way you don't know if you are GA until you show up the day of the show. Scalpers know they have GA well in advance, they can coordinate to pick up the tickets and deliver them day of the show. If they don't know they have GA tickets months in advance then it would be really hard.

The GA system is ripe open for abuse so I don't know if it's a good idea to use it for a prolonged period of time.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    ^^^ yup. Well put.

Thats my biggest (and nearly only) complaint with this system, and one that is easily corrected.

They don't even need to have a 2nd draw/lottery. Just mix up the selection to make it easy. Pick the 200xxxs or the 400xxxs, or all 10c numbers that end between 600-800.

If the GA drawing was "shielded", there is much less incentive to stack memberships, get friends to sign up, spouse "memberships", multiple friends trying (and getting) tickets when they only need a pair... because frankly, I dont want an 80% chance of getting stuck with 550xxx 10c tickets.

Its nice that the newer fans get a shot at GA, so they still have that. This change wouldnt exclude anyone.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on