Options

Fan Club Scalpers

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited June 2014
    Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

That is not actually true. Hardly any scalpers mess with fan club tix. Not worth the trouble.

I would disagree. Last year when it was a new thing I don't think scalpers had much (if any time) to adjust to the new system of a GA pit section in the front. Now that Pearl Jam has sort of set it as their new path, scalpers can now expect it. All they have to do is sign up all of their staff for memberships for $20/piece. If they enter GA for each one, even with a 1/5 chance, thats a pair of GA tickets for $100 premium. They can probably sell them for thousands because they are so hard to get. It's a huge incentive.

The longer they do a seperate lotto for the GA the more ripe it is for abuse. I would think the easy way to deal with it, is to do one lotto per show, and random draw for GA (include an opt out button for people that don't want ga). That way you don't know if you are GA until you show up the day of the show. Scalpers know they have GA well in advance, they can coordinate to pick up the tickets and deliver them day of the show. If they don't know they have GA tickets months in advance then it would be really hard.

The GA system is ripe open for abuse so I don't know if it's a good idea to use it for a prolonged period of time.

My best friend's brother is a major ticket broker and he has connections with scalpers all over north America in major cities (sorry to say - I don't respect what he does). He told me that scalpers just don't bother with this shit. Hardly ever. Way too much trouble for most scalpers, and they don't like to risk getting called out by the fan clubs or the fans. I trust this guy's knowledge of the industry, since he is a pretty big player within it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

That is not actually true. Hardly any scalpers mess with fan club tix. Not worth the trouble.

I would disagree. Last year when it was a new thing I don't think scalpers had much (if any time) to adjust to the new system of a GA pit section in the front. Now that Pearl Jam has sort of set it as their new path, scalpers can now expect it. All they have to do is sign up all of their staff for memberships for $20/piece. If they enter GA for each one, even with a 1/5 chance, thats a pair of GA tickets for $100 premium. They can probably sell them for thousands because they are so hard to get. It's a huge incentive.

The longer they do a seperate lotto for the GA the more ripe it is for abuse. I would think the easy way to deal with it, is to do one lotto per show, and random draw for GA (include an opt out button for people that don't want ga). That way you don't know if you are GA until you show up the day of the show. Scalpers know they have GA well in advance, they can coordinate to pick up the tickets and deliver them day of the show. If they don't know they have GA tickets months in advance then it would be really hard.

The GA system is ripe open for abuse so I don't know if it's a good idea to use it for a prolonged period of time.

How many ids u have??how many different tickets can u pick up with the same name..wjile 10c not allowed same meberships..with the same face??how many shows will be at your hometown so no need to travel to other towns to pick them the day of the show??where u can list fan club ticket and not get reported to 10c the same day?
    What will be your reserved seats so tell the buyer where his seats are since will know after u take them in hand?
    when u join the club if dont know when will tour??and when thwy announce tour u cant be able to score tix after the announcement?
    let me tell u what a pro scalper does...he buy frkm ticketmasrer 50 tix...best in the house besides fan club...not paying 20$membership to 10c and sells them online without move his ass from his couch..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

How many ids u have??how many different tickets can u pick up with the same name..wjile 10c not allowed same meberships..with the same face??how many shows will be at your hometown so no need to travel to other towns to pick them the day of the show??where u can list fan club ticket and not get reported to 10c the same day?
    What will be your reserved seats so tell the buyer where his seats are since will know after u take them in hand?
    when u join the club if dont know when will tour??and when thwy announce tour u cant be able to score tix after the announcement?
    let me tell u what a pro scalper does...he buy frkm ticketmasrer 50 tix...best in the house besides fan club...not paying 20$membership to 10c and sells them online without move his ass from his couch..
    Exactly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I basically have 2-3 accounts I can readily throw into the ring and go for GA tickets for myself. My wife has an account and doesnt even realize it. I am also friends with 3 people local, in 10c who dont go to all the shows I do who would help me out. I would easily be able to borrow ID to pick up the tickets for a night or 2.

Any extras, I dont think Id sell... but I can trade for other GA tickets if I get "stuck" with another pair.

I cant wrap my head around why anyone could be against 1 lottery for every show, with an additional "lottery" for GA.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    members must sell their unwanted tickets to scalpers right outside the venue after they pick them up at will call. an obvious scalper leaning against his car in london asked me if i needed an upgrade to fan club tickets as i walked by.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Personally I like this system and I see a lot of people posting the negatives of this system. Even if I get 10 separate memberships, I still need to be at that venue to pick up the tickets. If a scalper wins all 10, that is 10 people who have to show up to pick up the tickets. Expenses will get quite high. the people who are selling these tickets are not scalper but opportunist he would rather have the money then see the band. They will get caught. Again it all comes back to the elitist mentality of membership seniority. The 1%....
  • Options
    I think "scalper" is a bit misused. I dont think we are talking about the agencies/networks/businesses so much (although this system is a bit more appealing as it specifies best in house seat location months in advance).

Its those flippers amongst us who would step over anyone to get what they want, have their own PJ ebay "stores" (Ive seen them). They are out there and this system is ripe to abuse. And no, Im not saying F5. Just tuck GA away into the entire pool.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I basically have 2-3 accounts I can readily throw into the ring and go for GA tickets for myself. My wife has an account and doesnt even realize it. I am also friends with 3 people local, in 10c who dont go to all the shows I do who would help me out. I would easily be able to borrow ID to pick up the tickets for a night or 2.

Any extras, I dont think Id sell... but I can trade for other GA tickets if I get "stuck" with another pair.

I cant wrap my head around why anyone could be against 1 lottery for every show, with an additional "lottery" for GA.

Is anyone against that idea? I don't think I've seen anyone say they didn't think having a second lottery for GA was a bad idea. This is pretty obviously the one improvement that 10C could make that no one would be disappointed about, no?
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    PJ_Soul said:

scurtis said:

mcrok said:

they could do the ticketless entry...you'd have to swipe your credit card at the gate to get in...i see it coming

Agree.

Went to two Red Hot Chili Peppers' shows last year and they were ticketless.

The problem there is that not everyone bought their tix with their own credit card. I'm sure there are tons of people who got someone else to pay for their tix for them but don't bring them to the show. I.e. teenagers, spouses of the one who paid, people who were broke and got a friend to pay, etc.
    I honestly don't remember how it went down. But I'm pretty sure they only gave the tickets to the card holder, you had to bring your visa that you used to pay for the tickets and your ID.

I also think it was just for floor seats, I'm really not 100% though, I guess my memory isn't that good.

I do remember the show was a complete joke cause Kiedis kept leaving the stage and seemed totally uninterested in being there. He probably left the stage a half dozen times. But that's for a different thread. haha
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I hear ya..but is your right u and wife have different acounts..and if u both score u can trade for another show...but isnt scalping..u dknt make any profit of it..u dont resell tix for money...
    personaly i have one account..is enough..if i dknt score the show i want..ill find the way to be in the show
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited June 2014

members must sell their unwanted tickets to scalpers right outside the venue after they pick them up at will call. an obvious scalper leaning against his car in london asked me if i needed an upgrade to fan club tickets as i walked by.

Exactly. Some legit member out for a buck very likely sold their club tix to the scalper after they picked them up. This has nothing to do with scalpers getting in on the lottery, but it's a good example as to why 10C should get an entry policy that combines ticket pick up, so no one has a chance to resell their tix after they've picked them up at will call. It's also a good example.of how insane PJ fans are btw. The amount of $$$ that some fans are willing to pay is the ONLY cause of ticket reselling and flipping.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,531
    I recall being approached outside Wrigley by a guy that looked to be in his late 40s/early 50s, and I remember the 1st thing I noticed about him was the dour body language. He asked me if I had spare GA tickets and mentioned that when he went to pick up his 10C tickets he was told they were confiscated and that his membership was revoked and he was shutout as a result. I asked him if he got caught scalping and he replied that it was all a big misunderstanding, that someone saw a message his wife posted on the Facebook offering up his GA tickets for sale and reported him.

I sometimes wonder if he and his wife are still good.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I did the credit card entry for RHCP. It was OK. It was a bit stressful having nothing on hand... and also we had to all go in (4 of us) in one group as I had to have the card swiped at the turnstile. The thing printed out the tickets right there.

But yeah, that would pretty much eliminate resale, and really make it more difficult for folks who get doubles.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I did the credit card entry for RHCP. It was OK. It was a bit stressful having nothing on hand... and also we had to all go in (4 of us) in one group as I had to have the card swiped at the turnstile. The thing printed out the tickets right there.

But yeah, that would pretty much eliminate resale, and really make it more difficult for folks who get doubles.

Seems a good idea..from the other ha d as an international buyer may have a pro..sometimes cc doesnt work out of my country and everywhere..so will be crazy if i travel all the way from greece and cant scan my cc
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    PJ_Soul said:

Exactly. Some legit member out for a buck very likely sold their club tix to the scalper after they picked them up. This has nothing to do with scalpers getting in on the lottery, but it's a good example as to why 10C should get an entry policy that combines ticket pick up, so no one has a chance to resell their tix after they've picked them up at will call. It's also a good example.of how insane PJ fans are btw. The amount of $$$ that some fans are willing to pay is the ONLY cause of ticket reselling and flipping.
    We saw this happen at the shows last fall. People would walk in get their 10C tickets only to walk out to directly sell them to the scalpers. I probably still have a picture of one of the scalpers with the plain ticketmaster tickets and the 10c tickets in his hand as he was trying to sell. Just made me feel really bad seeing that happen.

I agree the pick up should be similar to the Vic.... No entry without a wristband or something....
    There's gots be a better way.

“This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

I recall being approached outside Wrigley by a guy that looked to be in his late 40s/early 50s, and I remember the 1st thing I noticed about him was the dour body language. He asked me if I had spare GA tickets and mentioned that when he went to pick up his 10C tickets he was told they were confiscated and that his membership was revoked and he was shutout as a result. I asked him if he got caught scalping and he replied that it was all a big misunderstanding, that someone saw a message his wife posted on the Facebook offering up his GA tickets for sale and reported him.

That doesn't sound like a misunderstanding to me. Sounds like he and his wife decided to sell his 10c tix at a profit and got caught.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

MayDay10 said:

Seems a good idea..from the other ha d as an international buyer may have a pro..sometimes cc doesnt work out of my country and everywhere..so will be crazy if i travel all the way from greece and cant scan my cc
    Another good point.
    I just think this is discriminatory. Only people who have their own credit card can buy tickets and see the show. Very exclusionary IMO.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2014
    100 Pacer said:

That doesn't sound like a misunderstanding to me. Sounds like he and his wife decided to sell his 10c tix at a profit and got caught.

Yeah, I would have dour body language if I knew I had to explain to someone that they came to the show and I didn't have the tickets I promised to sell them. Sounds like he got busted.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,202

I saw documentary on TM once. For most shows they get an in and directly buy tickets from the ticket agency. There are shows they don't get to do that for, and they had a guy showing off a giant binder full of credit cards issued under different names (presumedly under the name of staff members at the ticket broker company).

All the best tickets to the fan club. All the ones that are remotely close to the stage. Scalpers make more money off the close tickets than they do the rest of them. If it takes 3 or 4 memberships to get one GA pair there still going to come out smelling like roses. It's less hard that you think.
  • Options
    Zod said:

I saw documentary on TM once. For most shows they get an in and directly buy tickets from the ticket agency. There are shows they don't get to do that for, and they had a guy showing off a giant binder full of credit cards issued under different names (presumedly under the name of staff members at the ticket broker company).

All the best tickets to the fan club. All the ones that are remotely close to the stage. Scalpers make more money off the close tickets than they do the rest of them. If it takes 3 or 4 memberships to get one GA pair there still going to come out smelling like roses. It's less hard that you think.
    Let me know where at secondary market u can list that u selling your ga 10c ticket without get reported...
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Zod said:

Let me know where at secondary market u can list that u selling your ga 10c ticket without get reported...
    They can get reported, but unless someone goes undercover or gets the person's legit info, there isn't anything they can do. Someone in the fan club could easily use a spouse or friend to sell the ticket and then show up to pick it up themselves. It is GA, if they still did seated tickets I guess they could track it that way if the person put the exact seat location. Some people are dumb enough to sell it under their own name, which would almost certainly get you kicked I think. There are ways to be anonymous up until the point of handing the tickets over.
  • Options

Zod said:

They can get reported, but unless someone goes undercover or gets the person's legit info, there isn't anything they can do. Someone in the fan club could easily use a spouse or friend to sell the ticket and then show up to pick it up themselves. It is GA, if they still did seated tickets I guess they could track it that way if the person put the exact seat location. Some people are dumb enough to sell it under their own name, which would almost certainly get you kicked I think. There are ways to be anonymous up until the point of handing the tickets over.
    I hear ya...still..where ..which site someone can list ..exable'1ga 10c ticket fir denver 1000$' 'and get away with it??at any name u like..
    there alot of theories..but in action..
    which site someine can list 10c and sell tix online without pro and all goes smooth for his scalping business?
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    Fuck Cincy
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Fuck Cincy

We need a cincy fishing forum thread
  • Options

Fuck Cincy

How ya been?
  • Options

Fuck Cincy

How ya been?
    Its ok..alot of health issues..but will be ok...
    you all good??where u going at fall??cincy?
  • Options

Fuck Cincy

How ya been?
    Its ok..alot of health issues..but will be ok...
    you all good??where u going at fall??cincy?
    Milwaukee

Just 1 show for me.

Health issues?
    Whats up?
    Send me a pm.
    You OK?
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    Going back to selling 10c tickets , here's a theory , if say for instance, I failed to get a 10c standing ticket for a show, but buy a GA ticket from ticketmaster for an example , technically I have the same ticket as I would if I had them from 10c , do you agree? Which I have done before , would there be the same hoohar about him selling the tickets for $500 a piece, I don't think there would, somebody might say robbing bastard! But hey if you don't like the price don't buy simple. but arent rules there to be broken ?? My point is that the 10c ticketing is not always best , as normally for us in the UK the exchange rate makes them more expensive , than paying TM prices with the extras, never failed to get a ticket to a gig I wanted to go to, GA and seats Let's look at this another way I have posted on the site I have a spare ticket to Leeds at face price , can't even sell that the venue holds 13k tops.

I guess the saying supply and demand comes to mind,

Only way to stop this happening is guess what ? don't buy from touts ( scalpels ) but people won't so there will always be a market for ticket sales , no mater what rules and regulations say
  • Options
    Now at 2 grand. He must think all the inquiries from people trying to get his info are people really interested. I hope he holds out for a long time and has to dump them for way less than the greedy bastard is hoping to get. What a douche.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    He wanted to meet me on tuesday. CASH $100 Bills. Could also be a setup