Options

Fan Club Scalpers

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    quimby20 said:

He wanted to meet me on tuesday. CASH $100 Bills. Could also be a setup

Yeah, no way I'd give cash up front. If you are hard up to go and buy this guys tickets insist on paypal or something that would protect you. Sounds sketchy considering he has raised the price multiple times.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    $2500
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Dear Pearl Jam,

Have you considered paperless tickets?

Signed,
    Everyone who hates scalper scum.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441

Dear Pearl Jam,

Signed,

While it would help that, I would personally have this since I love my ticket stubs!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited June 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

My best friend's brother is a major ticket broker and he has connections with scalpers all over north America in major cities (sorry to say - I don't respect what he does). He told me that scalpers just don't bother with this shit. Hardly ever. Way too much trouble for most scalpers, and they don't like to risk getting called out by the fan clubs or the fans. I trust this guy's knowledge of the industry, since he is a pretty big player within it.

Exactly, this new system has not created a scalper 'heaven' as many on here think. It's basically some random 10clubbers who won GA and are trying to make a proifit. Hardly a scalper epidemic.

• Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243

Dear Pearl Jam,

Signed,

While it would help that, I would personally have this since I love my ticket stubs!

I have paperless season tickets for my NHL team and they print me up a seat locator which is the same size and shape as a ticket. If I got the same for a PJ show I would have no problem framing it with a poster and I'm pretty particular about such things.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I've never been to a show at "Teh Joe" before.

i only know one person who spells 'teh'...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    eddiec said:

PJ_Soul said:

My best friend's brother is a major ticket broker and he has connections with scalpers all over north America in major cities (sorry to say - I don't respect what he does). He told me that scalpers just don't bother with this shit. Hardly ever. Way too much trouble for most scalpers, and they don't like to risk getting called out by the fan clubs or the fans. I trust this guy's knowledge of the industry, since he is a pretty big player within it.

Exactly, this new system has not created a scalper 'heaven' as many on here think. It's basically some random 10clubbers who won GA and are trying to make a proifit. Hardly a scalper epidemic.

exactly
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    RKCNDY said:

I've never been to a show at "Teh Joe" before.

i only know one person who spells 'teh'...
    Ahhhhhh, well played. Dude got everyone here all riled up including myself. Hahahahahaha
    6000 plus views and not even on the forum anymore!
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

eddiec said:

PJ_Soul said:

exactly
    Except now its much easier to do. This individual knows he/she has the best possible seats and has this sale flaunted out there. Hasn't been shut down or caught, and likely wont. Its only a matter of time before this becomes more wide-spread if the same exact system is in place.

If its all a lottery and GA is handled the same way 1st, 2nd, 9th, and 10th rows were handled, it would be much harder to peddle these things ahead of time, especially for those who get in with high 10c numbers who have maybe a 25% for GA and 75% low level 10c tix and wont know until they pick up their tickets 3PM the day of the show.

• Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    MayDay10 said:

eddiec said:

PJ_Soul said:

exactly
    Except now its much easier to do. This individual knows he/she has the best possible seats and has this sale flaunted out there. Hasn't been shut down or caught, and likely wont. Its only a matter of time before this becomes more wide-spread if the same exact system is in place.

If its all a lottery and GA is handled the same way 1st, 2nd, 9th, and 10th rows were handled, it would be much harder to peddle these things ahead of time, especially for those who get in with high 10c numbers who have maybe a 25% for GA and 75% low level 10c tix and wont know until they pick up their tickets 3PM the day of the show.

Again the elitist attitude toward new fans. This systems works and the only pissed off people are the ones who have been up front for every show the go to. Times have changed, this system is in place for awhile.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Im not someone who has been up front every show.... or any show for that matter.

How is that "elitist" anyways if everyone has an equal shot at GA?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    I would think if the problem actually becomes widespread, then they would address it in some way. As it is, I haven't seen any indication of an emerging market of GA tickets. 1 craigslist ad over 10 cities seems like an acceptable amount of ticket re-sale douchebaggery.

Before the lottery you would also see an occasional ebay auction or craigslist ad for someone with a low 10c number trying to peddle their tickets for a profit. Seems like an outlier more than a trend.

Just to play devil's advocate with your GA idea (I'd actually be fine with it, personally) - a GA ticket and a reserved ticket are a different beast when it comes to planning pre-show activities, coordinating with friends, finding extras, etc. Nothing will stop people from lining up to get in early...in fact, I could see a lot of people lining up to get in early on the chance they got GA tickets, and then being pretty upset that they were given reserved.

I also think there are a decent amount of "GA-or-bust" people out there who would be way less interested in going to the show if they had reserved seats. This system would alienate them.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    maybe pair it with the Springsteen-like policy that makes it a waste of time to spend all day in line and create "lists", etc. I think it would make the whole process much more fair.

Im more concerned with the "GA or bust" crowd, as well as the seedy underbelly of the fan club spiking the pot with extra memberships in the current system.

I would like as much of a chance at GA as everyone else, and I don't think this system delivers that, as it makes it very appealing to add on membership(s) and/or buddy up.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    MayDay10 said:

maybe pair it with the Springsteen-like policy that makes it a waste of time to spend all day in line and create "lists", etc. I think it would make the whole process much more fair.

Im more concerned with the "GA or bust" crowd, as well as the seedy underbelly of the fan club spiking the pot with extra memberships in the current system.

I would like as much of a chance at GA as everyone else, and I don't think this system delivers that, as it makes it very appealing to add on membership(s) and/or buddy up.

I support the Springsteen way 100%. Get your wristband show up at 5, pick a number , up front cool if not back to the preparty.

Que the " well if my member # is 1xxxxxx, I should get 10 chances vs the 999999xxxxxx member. I should be upfront for 130th show.....
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    Sorry for chiming in her but, I have been a dues paying member of this club since 1995. The best ticket's I've ever had were 5th row in Cincinnati in '06. My wife & I wanted to take my stepson, then 14, to his first P.J. concert. I went on TicketMaster & found an extra ticket higher up off the stage so that he & his mother could be as close to the band as possible. We all had a blast, something he will never forget. My point is, the "older" member's don't always get the best seats. As far as you "newbies" are concerned, I think you are confusing "elitist" & "entitled" with another word that starts with an "e", EARNED. Your lack of respect for the people who have been in this club for many years just shows your lack of maturity. You seem to act like the ones who should be "entitled" just because your now suddenly in the club. But really, most of you act that way about most things in your life, so it shouldn't be surprising. Down off the soapbox, please continue.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804

I would think if the problem actually becomes widespread, then they would address it in some way. As it is, I haven't seen any indication of an emerging market of GA tickets. 1 craigslist ad over 10 cities seems like an acceptable amount of ticket re-sale douchebaggery.

Before the lottery you would also see an occasional ebay auction or craigslist ad for someone with a low 10c number trying to peddle their tickets for a profit. Seems like an outlier more than a trend.

Just to play devil's advocate with your GA idea (I'd actually be fine with it, personally) - a GA ticket and a reserved ticket are a different beast when it comes to planning pre-show activities, coordinating with friends, finding extras, etc. Nothing will stop people from lining up to get in early...in fact, I could see a lot of people lining up to get in early on the chance they got GA tickets, and then being pretty upset that they were given reserved.

I also think there are a decent amount of "GA-or-bust" people out there who would be way less interested in going to the show if they had reserved seats. This system would alienate them.

The "G.A. Or Bust" people have me scratching my head.

For 10 years I watched people get their tickets through the 10club and go to the shows. These people have numbers anywhere from 150xxx to 350xxx. They were more than happy to get their tickets, and I am going to say 99% of them were quite content with their seats. But now some of those same people wouldn't think of sitting anywhere else but G. A. For 10 years they were content with the seats they were given through the 10club, using their 10club membership number. Yet now? Forget it. If they don't have G.A. they would rather stay home. It makes no fucking sense to me, and it is quite fucking ridiculous in my eyes.

They will buy the shirts, the posters, the stickers, the socks, the dog collars, the re-releases of 20 year old albums, etc, etc. But when it is time to go to the shows, when it is time to go see the band live, these people wouldn't spend $85 to sit in the middle of the floor, or side seats. It is G.A. or bust. Even though if you took away the G.A. option, their 10club memberships would have gotten them MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR OR SIDE STAGE.

Fucking weird.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    My ideal "system"

Lottery for each show. Members prioritize and can check a box that says no GA. Shows are filled for the 1st round, people who didnt get tix are eligible for the 2nd round and so on, then double back for people who won to get more shows. Say I and another dude go for DET and STL, I miss out on DET, but other dude gets DET, and there are still STL left after round 1, I would be eligible for STL for the next round, not the other dude. If its too much, just do it the current way with solely priority.

Ticket booths are open at 3PM and you get your tix. If you find out youre in GA, you are instructed to start lining up at 6 or so at one designated location and the order will be selected springsteen style. GA tix are paperless.

People who didnt win GA are seated based on seniority. Maybe have another sub-lottery for that group for the best seats right next to the stage.

I would also like to see some sort of single seat option/pool, but may be too difficult
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

Sorry for chiming in her but, I have been a dues paying member of this club since 1995. The best ticket's I've ever had were 5th row in Cincinnati in '06. My wife & I wanted to take my stepson, then 14, to his first P.J. concert. I went on TicketMaster & found an extra ticket higher up off the stage so that he & his mother could be as close to the band as possible. We all had a blast, something he will never forget. My point is, the "older" member's don't always get the best seats. As far as you "newbies" are concerned, I think you are confusing "elitist" & "entitled" with another word that starts with an "e", EARNED. Your lack of respect for the people who have been in this club for many years just shows your lack of maturity. You seem to act like the ones who should be "entitled" just because your now suddenly in the club. But really, most of you act that way about most things in your life, so it shouldn't be surprising. Down off the soapbox, please continue.

I question the 'maturity" of some longtime 10club members who throw a fit when they don't get picked for lottery tickets. These longtime members, who now are forced to go through ticketmaster or stubhub, because of the new lottery system, would rather just skip the shows all together, Right? Not all, but some. These longtime members would rather stay home, because GOD FORBID they cant sit within the 1st 10 rows of the stage. That's not to 'mature" in my eyes.

For one reason or another the 10club has gone to a lottery system. Personally I think they did it partially because of 'supply and demand", and partially to give every member here a fair chance of sitting or standing up close to the stage. Either way, it is what it is. Yet some long time members, who lose out on the lottery, now refuse to go to shows because they may have to sit a little farther from the stage? To me, those members are acting like 3 year olds.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    MayDay10 said:

100% agree
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    MayDay10 said:

My ideal "system"

Lottery for each show. Members prioritize and can check a box that says no GA. Shows are filled for the 1st round, people who didnt get tix are eligible for the 2nd round and so on, then double back for people who won to get more shows. Say I and another dude go for DET and STL, I miss out on DET, but other dude gets DET, and there are still STL left after round 1, I would be eligible for STL for the next round, not the other dude. If its too much, just do it the current way with solely priority.

Ticket booths are open at 3PM and you get your tix. If you find out youre in GA, you are instructed to start lining up at 6 or so at one designated location and the order will be selected springsteen style. GA tix are paperless.

People who didnt win GA are seated based on seniority. Maybe have another sub-lottery for that group for the best seats right next to the stage.

I would also like to see some sort of single seat option/pool, but may be too difficult

OK... I am ready to officially endorse your idea.

And I lost out but I will be sitting in Nosebleed in Cincy... no way would I miss it just because I am not in the first few rows. Call me weird but my favorite PJ of all time was when I had the worst seats. :-/

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    MayDay10 said:

eddiec said:

PJ_Soul said:

exactly

no..all members..old or new can go for GA .noone said only new young members can go for GA only...is only luck to win..and all has the same chances..fair for the same money all paying...
    if waz f-5 again things will be the same ..the fact they add GA tic for the american shows has nothing to do with the method they sell tickets..Lottery is the method they sell tickets
    GA Tickets and seniority has nothing to do with lottery..they could just throw the tix from empire state building for fans waiting downstares..would be the same number of tickets..the same number will win..the same numbers will shut out ..all members old or new would have the chance..and seniority will mean the same..better reserved tic after u score tix..
    no matter what u do..more strategy more thinking..the tickets 10c has avaiilable for sale are the same..how many want them are the same..how many will score are the same..how many shut out are the same..only the method change..they do a lottery..they had f-5..the could choose only the old fans..they could choose only new fans..they could choose fans their name srarts from A-M..or what ever
    numbers will not change..100 tickes for 200 people means half will score..half will lose no matter the method
    and this method has one HUGE PLUS
    no fan can do anything to beat the system..no power means fair for all
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    yeah, I didnt say anything about F5, abolishing GA, nor loading the deck for seniority.

• Options
    To Mr. MCCREADY,
    Have tried TicketMaster, as I did before. Nosebleeds high above back of stage, while tempting, are difficult at best for my wife & myself. As far as StubHub, we have a family to support, perhaps you don't, so the money aspect comes into play. I understand the "supply/demand" theory, but thank you for the update.
    But, don't you ever question my maturity. The disdain & disrespectful nature of your comments just proves my point all the more!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I wouldn't spend my money on high up seats behind the stage, either. Front of the stage is a different story. We have nosebleed tickets for St. Louis and plan to enjoy the shit out of that show. The music will sound great and we paid face value for the tickets.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

To Mr. MCCREADY,
    Have tried TicketMaster, as I did before. Nosebleeds high above back of stage, while tempting, are difficult at best for my wife & myself. As far as StubHub, we have a family to support, perhaps you don't, so the money aspect comes into play. I understand the "supply/demand" theory, but thank you for the update.
    But, don't you ever question my maturity. The disdain & disrespectful nature of your comments just proves my point all the more!

There was nothing disrecptful about my response.
    My response was not directed at YOU.
    Nothing I said was questioning or judging YOU personally.

I didn't question YOUR maturity.
    But I am now.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited June 2014
    SS9981 said:

To Mr. MCCREADY,

Hi Pot, may I introduce you to Kettle. You should get along swimmingly.

I have to admit that for what GA tickets go for, it's tempting to sell them. Not gonna do it, but it would be pretty sweet to finish paying off my house. A buddy told me there were St Louis GA tix going for almost 8 grand a pop. Glad it only paid $80.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Sorry, when you use my quote & then make the comment's you make, it certainly appears directed towards myself. Maybe you should take a minute & read what you're posting before you hit the button. BTW, seen some of your opinions on these boards, what someone like you question's about me, is laughable.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

Sorry, when you use my quote & then make the comment's you make, it certainly appears directed towards myself. Maybe you should take a minute & read what you're posting before you hit the button. BTW, seen some of your opinions on these boards, what someone like you question's about me, is laughable.

Ok.
    I guess we are done here.

Been a pleasure.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    How many more albums/tour cycles do you think this band has left in them that would make any of this matter?