Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

After going to three stores I finally found a brewery from Oregon: 10 barrel brewing company out of bend, Oregon. I ll let you guys know how it is.

They recently opened a brewpub in Denver.
    Won't be going. As was mentioned above that they are owned by AB Inbev.
    as in anaheiser busch?! (spelling is probably bad)
    so this was a popular beer before the take over?
    Yes and yes
    AB Inbev is a Belgian company.
    In the last 6 years they have bought up at least 8 well known craft breweries. Including Goose Island, Elysian, and Devils Backbone.
    They are no longer considered "craft breweries" by the Brewers Association.

Goose Island March 2011
    Blue Point Brewing Feb. 2014
    10 Barrel Brewing Nov. 2014
    Elysian Brewing Jan. 2015
    Golden Road Brewing Sept. 2015
    Breckenridge Brewing Dec. 2015
    Four Peaks Brewing Dec. 2015
    Devil’s Backbone Brewing April 2016
    goose island too (which I love)? wtf. And here I was all excited that I found an Oregon IPA all the way in New Jersey. Damn.
    Yeah, I still can't believe Goose Island sold out....you can definitely tell the difference in some of the beers now that they are being brewed at the big AB plants instead of the original brewery. Green Line Pale Ale especially.....that stuff is almost undrinkable at this point. The only nice thing is that they still do small batch beers at the original brewery here in Chicago.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

After going to three stores I finally found a brewery from Oregon: 10 barrel brewing company out of bend, Oregon. I ll let you guys know how it is.

Yes and yes
    In the last 6 years they have bought up at least 8 well known craft breweries. Including Goose Island, Elysian, and Devils Backbone.

Goose Island March 2011
    goose island too (which I love)? wtf. And here I was all excited that I found an Oregon IPA all the way in New Jersey. Damn.
    A clue to look for is a previously unknown brewery from far away suddenly showing up in all your beer stores and and on bar/restaurant taplines.
    Such as Lagunitas suddenly being everywhere.
    That's because they are part of Heineken.
    I feel like Lagunitas was already pretty huge even before they sold out to Heineken...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011
    A clue to look for is a previously unknown brewery from far away suddenly showing up in all your beer stores and and on bar/restaurant taplines.
    I feel like Lagunitas was already pretty huge even before they sold out to Heineken...
    They were big but not as big as they are now Thanks to Heineken having 50% ownership.
    I still drink them on occasion but there are so many more choices out there that they are often a last resort for me.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011
    They were big but not as big as they are now Thanks to Heineken having 50% ownership.
    I still drink them on occasion but there are so many more choices out there that they are often a last resort for me.
    Yeah same with me. Lagunitas IPA and Lil' Sumpin Sumpin are always a solid choice when you can't find anything else.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011
    you are telling me one of my favorite craft beers is half owned by heineken?! this is nuts. i'm sticking to mgd.

but it does make sense on why an oregon beer was found in new jersey.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011
    you are telling me one of my favorite craft beers is half owned by heineken?! this is nuts. i'm sticking to mgd.

Please don't drink MGD!!! That tastes like metal! LOL.

The Heineken thing was a bummer for Lagunitas. I'm pretty sure Lagunitas still runs all their own operations though...their beers aren't being brewed at Heineken plants or anything like that I don't think.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011

The Heineken thing was a bummer for Lagunitas. I'm pretty sure Lagunitas still runs all their own operations though...their beers aren't being brewed at Heineken plants or anything like that I don't think.
    They aren't
    It's a 50/50 partnership.
    Lagunitas still controls their operations.
    Here's another one for you...
    Oskar Blues owns Cigar City in Florida and Perrin in Michigan.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011

They aren't
    It's a 50/50 partnership.
    Lagunitas still controls their operations.
    Here's another one for you...
    Oskar Blues owns Cigar City in Florida and Perrin in Michigan.
    Cigar City is awesome....I drank a bunch of their stuff when I was in Florida last year. Really good beers.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011

I haven't had a mgd since my junior year of high school lol. (95)
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    mcgruff10 said:

Sell out aside they still have some good beer. I like the Joe IPA. I'm guessing you got Apocalypse.
    mcgruff10 said:

do you still have your first bartles and james that you consumed in high school? lol

What's a bartles and james?

#FHP
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sell out aside they still have some good beer. I like the Joe IPA. I'm guessing you got Apocalypse.
    mcgruff10 said:

do you still have your first bartles and james that you consumed in high school? lol

The Joe IPA is great & I also like the Pray For Snow
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I got the joe IPA. Bartles and James is a wine cooler.
  • Options
    Not a fan of the joe IPA. Yuck. Nasty after taste.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mcgruff10 said:

Funny, I think the same about their Apocalypse IPA.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

mcgruff10 said:

There s five in my beer fridge that I won't be drinking; come on over and take them.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mfc2006 said:

mcgruff10 said:

There s five in my beer fridge that I won't be drinking; come on over and take them.
    That's the worst when that happens....try a new 6 pack and don't like it and then those 5 just sit in your fridge staring at you.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,632
    edited February 2017
    mfc2006 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think AB trolled several Oregon breweries to see who would sell out. Word was the 10 Barrel guys were schmucks already and went for it. I just go two blocks past it to Sunriver brewing if I'm on foot. Everyone out east will see Deschutes showing up more, but they're ligit. They're opening a brewing facility in VA and should be in all 50 pretty soon. Gary Fish who owns Deschutes said he gets offers all the time to sell out.
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options
    Can beer be sent through usps? I think it would be cool if we created six packs of local brews and exchanged.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    mcgruff10 said:

Can beer be sent through usps? I think it would be cool if we created six packs of local brews and exchanged.

I've shipped to at least half a dozen board members. Just don't tell them whats in it.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Finally got some pseudo sue here in Illinois. Good stufff and for 9.99 for a four pack of pint cans it's well worth it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

I've shipped to at least half a dozen board members. Just don't tell them whats in it.
    yes, he has! :triumph:

living in this fucking church controlled state, I can't get ANY beer or liquor sent to me legally :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

living in this fucking church controlled state, I can't get ANY beer or liquor sent to me legally :angry:
    Tennessee?
  • Options

Finally got some pseudo sue here in Illinois. Good stufff and for 9.99 for a four pack of pint cans it's well worth it.

I know! That stuff is so good....I'm on my 3rd 4 pack already! So happy that's available around here now. Awesome beer.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

One of my favorites. Enjoyed this one a couple days ago
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Wobbie said:

Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

Tennessee?
    Communist China
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Wobbie said:

Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

Tennessee?
    Communist China
    seriously?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes and yes

Goose Island March 2011
    Yeah, I still can't believe Goose Island sold out....you can definitely tell the difference in some of the beers now that they are being brewed at the big AB plants instead of the original brewery. Green Line Pale Ale especially.....that stuff is almost undrinkable at this point. The only nice thing is that they still do small batch beers at the original brewery here in Chicago.
    Inbev does this to acquire DISTRIBUTION! I forgot that Blue Point got gobbled up by them too.

Also the sour sisters from GI are all still delicious. Give them a try and age them if you can. The Bourbon Barrel beers are still great too.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Wobbie said:

Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

Tennessee?
    Communist China
    seriously?
    Utard.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Wobbie said:

Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

Tennessee?
    Communist China
    seriously?
    Utard.

I was joking. Lol
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Wobbie said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Wobbie said:

Horos said:

mcgruff10 said:

Tennessee?
    Communist China
    seriously?
    Utard.

I was joking. Lol
    He's Chinese
    chinese-happy.jpg