Options

Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,723
    Wow 49 notifications because of this thread.
    The shit storm you started, Thoughts!   :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, considering that Eddie had every right in the world to express his very valid and even verifiable opinion through song under the Constitution, and considering how much damage Bush's war did to America and the world, and considering how it all started on a bed of lies, I think it is actually fairly easy to say who was right in this particular case. ;)
    I think everyone agrees the war in Afghanistan was warranted however Iraq was always the one that people argued about. Some people thought we didn't belong there and others thought it was better to fight the terrorists five thousand miles away instead of here while taking out a pretty horrible leader. 
    Both Eddie and W were protected under the  constitutional to either go to war or record a song. 
    What? You're comparing going to war with recording or singing a song? Sorry, that just doesn't compute in this context. The point is that many of the misguided "patriots" at that show wanted to shut Eddie up, shut him down, and that does not represent patriotism in America if the Constitution and the belief in freedom has anything to do with it, which it does.
    As for everyone agreeing the war in Afghanistan was warranted... No, I don't think that's the case. I think there are plenty of people who would not agree with that. I personally did agree with it at the time, but in retrospect feel that it was a terrible mistake and literally EVERYTHING should have been done differently.
    so four planes were hijacked and three were flown into buildings killings thousands and you wanted to respond how exactly?

Yes going to war and singing a song are both covered under the Constitution.
    Why are the people who were booing Eddie "misguided patriots"?  They had a belief and didn't like Ed's opinion. They showed their disapproval by booing and even yelling out "play rock n'roll!!"; Ed even commented how this was good open discussion (or something like that).  I don't recall anybody leaving the show but I do know that songs were omitted from the set list which resulted in the show ending early. So if anything, Ed couldn't handle the criticism, not the other way around.
    Because he has the right to voice his opinion from the stage, but the fans don't have the right to voice their opinions from the floor.  Duh.
  • Options
    What gets me is the "USA, USA" chant thing.  It's hollow, thoughtless, war-like without a real cause and just fucking stupid.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguwlTSzc80

I thought the majority of PJ fans are democrats?
    awesome stuff! when was that?
    uniondale '03.  (Nassau coliseum)
    when you say it turned ugly you mean, like fights broke out or throwing things at the band?
    I was there too 4th row dead center i didn't see any fights at all i just heard a bunch of assholes booing maybe some threw stuff Ed was pissed and they broke into KNOW YOUR RIGHTS by THE CLASH , that was the last show on Long Island you won't see them back here ever again Long Island is shit i can't wait to move out ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I was not pissed that they played the song i thought it was very fitting ...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    brianlux said:
    What gets me is the "USA, USA" chant thing.  It's hollow, thoughtless, war-like without a real cause and just fucking stupid.
    War-like?  how so?  It's a quick chant that gathers steam quickly.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited January 2018

JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguwlTSzc80

I thought the majority of PJ fans are democrats?
    awesome stuff! when was that?
    uniondale '03.  (Nassau coliseum)
    when you say it turned ugly you mean, like fights broke out or throwing things at the band?
    I was there too 4th row dead center i didn't see any fights at all i just heard a bunch of assholes booing maybe some threw stuff Ed was pissed and they broke into KNOW YOUR RIGHTS by THE CLASH , that was the last show on Long Island you won't see them back here ever again Long Island is shit i can't wait to move out ...
    I don't recall anyone throwing anything at Ed (but I definitely could be wrong)....this isn't boston! lol
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    it's a brainless rallying cry. i have always found it quite unintelligent. not just in the states. anyone that chants the name of their nation in solidarity of anything to me is bizarre and reminds me of something like what brian said. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    Wow 49 notifications because of this thread.
    The shit storm you started, Thoughts!   :lol:
    I know huh.
    Halts maul everyone.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    this was an absolute killer of a setlist:
    04/30/03 - Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum: Uniondale, NY
    support act: Sparta
    set: Long Road, Rearviewmirror, Animal, Save You, Get Right, I Am Mine, Corduroy, Present Tense, In Hiding, Even Flow, Elderly Woman, Jeremy, You Are, I Am A Patriot, Blood, Not For You, Better Man, Porch
    enc 1: Last Kiss, Thumbing My Way, Crazy Mary, Down, Do The Evolution, Daughter/(WMA), Alive

and then it went downhill lol.  'Smile,' 'Indifference' and 'Soldier Of Love' were on the setlist and not played.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    That's how I hear it anyway, McG. 

Think of it this way:  What happens when a crowd begins to chant?  For one thing, adrenaline starts pumping.  The only purpose for adrenaline  coursing through the body is to stimulate a flight or fight response.  A crowd of people like that are definitely not in flight mode.  They're picking for a fight.  And when they are in fight mode and that hormone is flooding their system, they are not in a critical thinking mode, they are in an animal mode.  They are reading to go in for the kill.  And it's not even about survival.  They don't really even know why they are doing it because they are temporarily out of their minds.

So you get a stadium full of people zoned out on fight hormones and that's about as war-like as it gets. 

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Think of it this way:  What happens when a crowd begins to chant?  For one thing, adrenaline starts pumping.  The only purpose for adrenaline  coursing through the body is to stimulate a flight or fight response.  A crowd of people like that are definitely not in flight mode.  They're picking for a fight.  And when they are in fight mode and that hormone is flooding their system, they are not in a critical thinking mode, they are in an animal mode.  They are reading to go in for the kill.  And it's not even about survival.  They don't really even know why they are doing it because they are temporarily out of their minds.

So you get a stadium full of people zoned out on fight hormones and that's about as war-like as it gets. 

I never thought of it that way, good points Bri.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, considering that Eddie had every right in the world to express his very valid and even verifiable opinion through song under the Constitution, and considering how much damage Bush's war did to America and the world, and considering how it all started on a bed of lies, I think it is actually fairly easy to say who was right in this particular case. ;)
    I think everyone agrees the war in Afghanistan was warranted however Iraq was always the one that people argued about. Some people thought we didn't belong there and others thought it was better to fight the terrorists five thousand miles away instead of here while taking out a pretty horrible leader. 
    Both Eddie and W were protected under the  constitutional to either go to war or record a song. 
    What? You're comparing going to war with recording or singing a song? Sorry, that just doesn't compute in this context. The point is that many of the misguided "patriots" at that show wanted to shut Eddie up, shut him down, and that does not represent patriotism in America if the Constitution and the belief in freedom has anything to do with it, which it does.
    As for everyone agreeing the war in Afghanistan was warranted... No, I don't think that's the case. I think there are plenty of people who would not agree with that. I personally did agree with it at the time, but in retrospect feel that it was a terrible mistake and literally EVERYTHING should have been done differently.
    so four planes were hijacked and three were flown into buildings killings thousands and you wanted to respond how exactly?

Yes going to war and singing a song are both covered under the Constitution.
    Why are the people who were booing Eddie "misguided patriots"?  They had a belief and didn't like Ed's opinion. They showed their disapproval by booing and even yelling out "play rock n'roll!!"; Ed even commented how this was good open discussion (or something like that).  I don't recall anybody leaving the show but I do know that songs were omitted from the set list which resulted in the show ending early. So if anything, Ed couldn't handle the criticism, not the other way around.
    Eddie handled it just fine.
    I personally think that yelling at someone to shut up and play music is an attempt and shutting them down.

I don't want to get into a discussion about how the 9/11 response could have been better handled, in retrospect, in this thread - it would be a complete derailment. Though I'm a bit surprised that anyone wouldn't agree that, in retrospect, it would have been better if done another way, even in terms of Afghanistan.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

That's why I don't feel too bad about not having been to a pro football game before.  All those people, all that adrenaline AND massive amounts of beer?  Amazing more shit doesn't happen at those types of  games- :lol:

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    it's a brainless rallying cry. i have always found it quite unintelligent. not just in the states. anyone that chants the name of their nation in solidarity of anything to me is bizarre and reminds me of something like what brian said. 
    I agree. I think most non-Americans find it quite unsettling and icky. There is something quite aggressive and barbaric and mindless about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    I agree. I think most non-Americans find it quite unsettling and icky. There is something quite aggressive and barbaric and mindless about it.
    It encourages mob mentality. I can't think of any context where it makes sense in our current free world existence. The only time it is ever used is as a response when an American is making a statement that doesn't 100% support the military or when some blow hard is preaching an inflated ideal that this country is the greatest ever.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

That's why I don't feel too bad about not having been to a pro football game before.  All those people, all that adrenaline AND massive amounts of beer?  Amazing more shit doesn't happen at those types of  games- :lol:
    People def were ramped up for war after 9/11 I almost got into a weird situation that night I was wearing my gray getright shirt the shirt writing was Arabic looking , when I walked into arena that night some idiot started yelling at me about my shirt i was glad my friend was with me I had to tell the idiot it was a PJ shirt ...
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Just like any chant it brings people together. Before the Foo Fighters encore at the show I was at everyone chanted “foo fighters” because that’s what was on peoples minds, idk, chants don’t bother me at all. Neither does Eddie being political. Eddie did something, people didn’t like it. They changed for 5 seconds, and life went on. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    It encourages mob mentality. I can't think of any context where it makes sense in our current free world existence. The only time it is ever used is as a response when an American is making a statement that doesn't 100% support the military or when some blow hard is preaching an inflated ideal that this country is the greatest ever.
    i remember when i watched wrestling in the 80's, most of the 'bad guys' were foreigners, iraqi, russian, etc. the 'good guy' would inevitably start or encourage a chant of USA USA USA. i always found it humorous. until i would see people in the crowd actually spit on the 'bad guy' , little did they realize (fucking idiots) he was a character and he was actually born in new york. then i saw people doing it in real life at rallies and shit. very unsettling. it almost seems to come from a place of anger, not pride. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    i remember when i watched wrestling in the 80's, most of the 'bad guys' were foreigners, iraqi, russian, etc. the 'good guy' would inevitably start or encourage a chant of USA USA USA. i always found it humorous. until i would see people in the crowd actually spit on the 'bad guy' , little did they realize (fucking idiots) he was a character and he was actually born in new york. then i saw people doing it in real life at rallies and shit. very unsettling. it almost seems to come from a place of anger, not pride. 
    Oh yeah, it does!
    People love to blame their troubles on the "other" and rally together as a mob.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Proves many Americans are ignorant stooges and it hasn't changed in 15 years.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure how Bush's war did damage to the world but the overall lesson is, don't mess with the United States.  ;)
    It's been 15 years so my memory isn't perfect. Correct me on what I get wrong.
    I agree with the Afgahn war, I don't think you could find 2 people in the whole country who didn't want to go to water after 9/11.
    What my memory isn't clear on is the Iraq war. The claims of WMD turned out to not be true I agree. What I don't remember is why was that Bush's fault? Wasn't it just bad info? Didn't he go to war thinking there was WMDs, and his department had bad intel?
    And I personally don't blame it all on bad intel. Wasn't the UN trying to do an inspection and they were denied? Therefore even further assuming their [bad] intel was accurate? This could have been avoided if Iraq cooperated with the UN for a WMD inspection.
    Wasn't Saddam a tyrant who murdered thousands, even tens or hundreds of thousands of his own people for political reasons? It didn't seem like a stretch that he could have WMDs he was willing to use, and to not cooperate with an inspection would all but confirm that to me. I can;t recall any evidence that this WMD thing was made up for the sole purpose to pursue a war in Iraq, possibly further his father's legacy. There's a difference between bad intel and Iraq refusing to cooperate, and forging fake evidence to start a war.
    I don't think Bush was a great president. But it just seems like history is writing him down to be a lot worse than he was, as some sort of war hungry modern-day tyrant who intentionally started a war to have his name in history, or revenge his father, depending on who you ask.
    I didn't want to go to war after 9/11 and I bet there is at least one more in this thread.  Those who think the proper response was killing a million innocent people needs their head examined imo.
  • Options
    Someone help me out here.

9-11 attackers were Saudi Arabian.

Why attack Afghanistan? Yah... I know of the 'training grounds' pitch... but I'm not buying it.

And then why attack Iraq? Yah... I know of the 'weapons of mass destruction' pitch... but that was proven to be unequivocally false (a massive lie).

The motives were sinister and criminal. Leaders have been imprisoned for less.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Why attack Afghanistan? Yah... I know of the 'training grounds' pitch... but I'm not buying it.

And then why attack Iraq? Yah... I know of the 'weapons of mass destruction' pitch... but that was proven to be unequivocally false (a massive lie).

Becauuuuse, cousin, all them A-rabs is the same!

• Options

Afghanistan was the training grounds, the location of al qaeda and the taliban, as well as where the master mind of 9/11 was located.  

Iraq was a cluster fuck in my opinion but like I said in previous posts I respect that fact that we tried to bring democracy to the country.

Saudia Arabia....yeah definite head scratcher Del.  We should have went there but ya know, oil and stuff lol.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

Afghanistan was the training grounds, the location of al qaeda and the taliban, as well as where the master mind of 9/11 was located.  

Iraq was a cluster fuck in my opinion but like I said in previous posts I respect that fact that we tried to bring democracy to the country.

Saudia Arabia....yeah definite head scratcher Del.  We should have went there but ya know, oil and stuff lol.
    You must be confusing democracy with death and displacement.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I respect the fact the US killed 100's of thousands of innocent civilians
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    What about the Eddie chants that happen at almost every show or the Ole' chants and all the other ones that seem to be a constant at South American shows?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay.

I thought this little bit was plain as day. My point being: why are people like Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld not brought to charges? The war on terror was clearly misplaced. For all intents and purposes... they could have sold 'Canada' to a public that just needed any country to put in their sights.

These assholes protected their Saudi friends. They knew an ounce of flesh was necessary- the US public would have no less- but Saudi Arabia was off limits given the trade agreements in place so they invaded Afghanistan and then Iraq under false pretenses (any brown will do!).

Cheney relaxes with his millions and nary a peep from the US public who are victims of fraud (let alone all the innocent lives taken abroad and all the soldiers dying or maimed).

How the f**k does that happen?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Okay.

I thought this little bit was plain as day. My point being: why are people like Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld not brought to charges? The war on terror was clearly misplaced. For all intents and purposes... they could have sold 'Canada' to a public that just needed any country to put in their sights.

These assholes protected their Saudi friends. They knew an ounce of flesh was necessary- the US public would have no less- but Saudi Arabia was off limits given the trade agreements in place so they invaded Afghanistan and then Iraq under false pretenses (any brown will do!).

Cheney relaxes with his millions and nary a peep from the US public who are victims of fraud (let alone all the innocent lives taken abroad and all the soldiers dying or maimed).

How the f**k does that happen?
    Fear. 9/11 sucked. At least here in New Jersey and New York people were scared as hell. At first these blue states seemed to be supporting W and his crew but then things turned after Iraq. I still think Afghanistan was the right call but Iraq was not. 

I have no clue why they weren't brought up on charges but they definitely should have been. 

It s ironic that I just brought up to my class how Hitler and the burning of the reichstag could have been so similiar to 9/11.