Options

Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm not saying that there is no enjoyment to be had from hockey but it just seems sad to me that people put so much of themselves into something like that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2018
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    When I hear the U-S-A! chant, blind patriotism doesn't come to mind at all; this does:

https://youtu.be/qSkc6c35A4Q

And that was one of the happiest days of my young life.
    One of the happiest days of your life was spent watching other people engage in meaningless pursuits?
    That makes me sad.
    This was hardly a mealiness pursuit considering the political climate between the USA and Soviet Union at the time and the 1980 summer Olympic boycott.
    My young life was mostly being abused and moved around from project to trailer park to ramshackle shack, so yeah, this was pretty freaking amazing.

Come to think of it. Most of my happiest days have been watching other people engage in "meaningless pursuits": the Rangers winning the cup in 1994, the Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004, Pearl Jam finally playing Fenway Park in 2016. When I accomplish something "meaningful" with mine, that usually involves work. I'd rather watch other people's "meaningless pursuits" than have to do anything myself.

My favorite thing to do is sleep. Second to that, it's investing my time and money in other people's "meaningless pursuits" (i.e., listening to music, watching movies, reading books, going to museums, attending baseball and hockey games, seeing shows, etc.). 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    rgambs said:
    I'm not saying that there is no enjoyment to be had from hockey but it just seems sad to me that people put so much of themselves into something like that.
    People put so much of themselves in a lot of things.  Sports, music, art, literature.  Are those all meaningless pursuits?  What you view as meaningless some people have a lot of passion for and may also hold a special meaning to them for personal reasons.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    rgambs said:
    Me serious or dankind serious?
    You.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    People put so much of themselves in a lot of things.  Sports, music, art, literature.  Are those all meaningless pursuits?  What you view as meaningless some people have a lot of passion for and may also hold a special meaning to them for personal reasons.
    Yeah, these are the things that actually make life fun and enjoyable (among other things). Fun and excitement and a shared happy experience is anything but meaningless.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    When I hear the U-S-A! chant, blind patriotism doesn't come to mind at all; this does:

One of the happiest days of your life was spent watching other people engage in meaningless pursuits?
    That makes me sad.
    This was hardly a mealiness pursuit considering the political climate between the USA and Soviet Union at the time and the 1980 summer Olympic boycott.
    My young life was mostly being abused and moved around from project to trailer park to ramshackle shack, so yeah, this was pretty freaking amazing.

Come to think of it. Most of my happiest days have been watching other people engage in "meaningless pursuits": the Rangers winning the cup in 1994, the Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004, Pearl Jam finally playing Fenway Park in 2016. When I accomplish something "meaningful" with mine, that usually involves work. I'd rather watch other people's "meaningless pursuits" than have to do anything myself.

My favorite thing to do is sleep. Second to that, it's investing my time and money in other people's "meaningless pursuits" (i.e., listening to music, watching movies, reading books, going to museums, attending baseball and hockey games, seeing shows, etc.). 
    The 94 Stanley cup is probably my favorite sports memory of all time. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

That makes me sad.

Oh God. The '94 Stanley Cup is definitely one of the most memorable moments of my life, that's for sure, but not my favorite! Tear gas and pepper spray fucking hurt. Almost as much as seeing how disgusting and mindless people can be. And more than seeing your team lose like that. So fucking close man. Fuck.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

That makes me sad.

Oh God. The '94 Stanley Cup is definitely one of the most memorable moments of my life, that's for sure, but not my favorite! Tear gas and pepper spray fucking hurt. Almost as much as seeing how disgusting and mindless people can be. And more than seeing your team lose like that. So fucking close man. Fuck.
    Ha ha!  Bure gets stopped by richter!!!!!  Such a great moment in my life.  It really was a fantastic series. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:
    jesus. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Damn people, get out and DO something!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

That makes me sad.

Ha ha!  Bure gets stopped by richter!!!!!  Such a great moment in my life.  It really was a fantastic series. 
    And before that series. 

Matteau!! Matteau!! Matteau!!

The guarantee!

Come the fuck on.

The best!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    dankind said:

Great moment. I was at the MSG game a few weeks before when the Soviet Union railroaded us. Those were college kids against an All-Star team of professionals.
    But I the USA chant meant something different back then. The 60's was only a decade earlier. We hadn't sold our souls yet.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    rgambs said:
    There’s no such thing as doing nothing. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:
    everyone! sit on a message board and yell at people to get outside! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguwlTSzc80

I thought the majority of PJ fans are democrats?
    awesome stuff! when was that?
    uniondale '03.  (Nassau coliseum)
    when you say it turned ugly you mean, like fights broke out or throwing things at the band?
    The crowd turned on him real quick.  People were screaming "fuck you" and giving him the finger.  It got really tense in my section; it felt like a fight could break out in any moment.  The walk out was interesting too, people yelling how Ed was a douche, he should stick to music and just play rock n roll, people paid for music not politics...others defended him.  It was a really decisive moment for the band and the country.

This 2003 tour was definitely crazy; the most upset I ever was at a pearl jam show was at Hershey not at Uniondale.  Ed said some pretty fucked up shit that night.
    okay. Now you have to explain. What did he say that night?
    Hershey rant

https://youtu.be/bLHTfKueFL4
    Wow, never heard that before.
    Kinda of surprises me that he would make fun of a girl for her chest size. I know he was calling her out for flashing which I guess he didn't appreciate, but seemed like a little too far to call her out like that. Especially for that this band stands for.
    Wonder what Stone said to Matt.
    "Nobody here gets out alive"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    everyone! sit on a message board and yell at people to get outside! 
    Classic hugh lol
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

That makes me sad.

And before that series. 

The guarantee!

Come the fuck on.

The best!
    Just awesome. Can't believe it s been 24 years!!
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824

dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

That makes me sad.

How DARE you call that a meaningless pursuit? :)

A lot of my favorite moments are "meaningless."  My wife and I still talk about when Chris Cornell came on stage at PJ20.  My freshman year at Wisconsin, the Badgers went to their first Rose Bowl in 30 years.  That was an incredible night where everyone was having a blast.  The Twins 1987 and 1991 titles were the highlights of 7th and 11th grade for me.  Could I have lived had those moments never happened?  Of course.  But life is not about the necessities. 

Regarding that miracle on ice clip (which, sadly, I am just a bit to young to recall), I happen to think "USA" chants are more reminiscent of WWE crowds.  It's your right to feel that way, to dislike Bu$hleaguer, to like Bush, etc. but I think there was a fundamental lack of understanding, frankly, about what is American by many (how many? I don't know).  It was, for a brief period of time, not OK to criticize the president or the Country.  It's not about what Pearl Jam, or their detractors, felt, but about the idea that those who did not like Bush "hated America."  Bush's detractors were often accused of hating America, and that's where the lack of understanding of patriotism comes into play.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    I really had no idea so many have such a negative vibe on the "U-S-A" chant. I don;t go to political rallies or things like that, so my experience has always been when something positive happens, never to shut someone down. And, orobably equally as often, just being silly and sarcastic just to be funny. Like winning the lowest division adult softball league, while having a few beers during the game, chanting USA when you win the last game of the season. Thats what I associate that chant with, not Bush's speech, or trying to shut others down. Mostly cheering for your olympic team, cheering during an air show, or trying to dare your drunk friend to do something stupid.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

That makes me sad.

And before that series. 

The guarantee!

Come the fuck on.

The best!
    Just awesome. Can't believe it s been 24 years!!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    I don't think I see what the difference between really getting into a hockey series and really getting into an album is, except that that particular hockey series was infinitely more dramatic and exciting and emotionally charged for everyone. Damn rgambs, I've never seen this side of you before, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I really had no idea so many have such a negative vibe on the "U-S-A" chant. I don;t go to political rallies or things like that, so my experience has always been when something positive happens, never to shut someone down. And, orobably equally as often, just being silly and sarcastic just to be funny. Like winning the lowest division adult softball league, while having a few beers during the game, chanting USA when you win the last game of the season. Thats what I associate that chant with, not Bush's speech, or trying to shut others down. Mostly cheering for your olympic team, cheering during an air show, or trying to dare your drunk friend to do something stupid.
    Well the politically charged, war-related, chest-beating, uninformed context is the only time the rest of the world ever sees it done, so everyone outside of America tends to connects it to that. So if they happen to see it done at a football game or something while visiting the US or whatever, that is still how they're going to take it in essence. It will be viewed as low brow and obnoxious at best - a "tradition" rooted in blind nationalism. In any case, whenever it's done so that people outside of America actually see it on the news, it's definitely not doing Americans any favours in terms of international reputation.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't think I see what the difference between really getting into a hockey series and really getting into an album is, except that that particular hockey series was infinitely more dramatic and exciting and emotionally charged for everyone. Damn rgambs, I've never seen this side of you before, lol.
    Art and sport don't even come close to belonging in the same league, to use some sports talk.

I've been through this argument with most of the sports fans on here so there's no need to rehash.
    It's been unanimously decided that I'm an arrogant fuck and I've agreed and I'm ok with that lol

I have done some amazing shit in my life so far, I can think of some amazing high points and epic fun times...summiting the Kemacher, opening my Sega Genesis of Xmas morning, rappelling 876 feet from the New River Gorge Bridge at 18, conceiving my son, the first time I ate mushrooms with my wife and best friend, every single hug from my boy, that's not even a scratch in surface of course, but I can honestly say that not a damn one of the high point funnest times was spent in front of a TV! 
    I'd be sad to have to admit that to myself if it were true.  If that makes me an arrogant prick, I can handle it. 

Edit to add that meaningless was a very poor choice of words.
    Anything that means something to a person is not meaningless by definition, obviously.
    I'm not going to bother thinking of a better word as it wasn't my intention to insult Dankind, but that's what happens when you're an arrogant fuck lol
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Art and sport don't even come close to belonging in the same league, to use some sports talk.

I've been through this argument with most of the sports fans on here so there's no need to rehash.
    It's been unanimously decided that I'm an arrogant fuck and I've agreed and I'm ok with that lol

I have done some amazing shit in my life so far, I can think of some amazing high points and epic fun times...summiting the Kemacher, rappelling 876 feet from the New River Gorge Bridge, conceiving my son, the first time I ate mushrooms with my wife and best friend, every single hug from my boy, that's not even a scratch in surface of course, but I can honestly say that not a damn one of the high point funnest times was spent in front of a TV! 
    I'd be sad to have to admit that to myself if it were true.  If that makes me an arrogant prick, I can handle it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqPA0M_R-0&has_verified=1
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I have done some amazing shit in my life so far, I can think of some amazing high points and epic fun times...summiting the Kemacher, rappelling 876 feet from the New River Gorge Bridge, conceiving my son, the first time I ate mushrooms with my wife and best friend, every single hug from my boy, that's not even a scratch in surface of course, but I can honestly say that not a damn one of the high point funnest times was spent in front of a TV! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqPA0M_R-0&has_verified=1
    Hahahaha that's great!  

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I wish this thread was a crypto currency ;)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Would be worth boocoup bucks.

I know... sorry, it's been a day.  :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    It builds and builds and builds and then..... massive crash, it all falls apart. :lol:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    PJ SHOW 2003>PATRIOTISM>HOCKEYGAME >SEX VIDEO lol 
    We all have scatter brain ...Like the bafoon 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ SHOW 2003>PATRIOTISM>HOCKEYGAME >SEX VIDEO lol 
    We all have scatter brain ...Like the bafoon 
    The fucker's rubbing off on us all, lol.