Options

police kill unarmed black man

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2016

the stat's ????? how about giving us the whole truth in the "stat's" why are black men more likely to be shot by police and please don't tell me it's the color of their skin because that's straight up bullshit.
    Godfather.

A societal issue dating back centuries that has caused poverty including and not limited to slavery, the great migration and subsequent development of ghettos, the lack of voting rights, Jim Crow, a broken education system, the war on drugs, etc. I would get into details, but it would be a lost cause.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I'm wondering what that cop in Tulsa was supposed to do. The guy did have his hands up, but continued to back up towards his vehicle, then turns his back to the officer while reaching into the vehicle, no?

Taser? 4 vs 1? lots of stuff.

But you're right, shooting dead was probably the only option.
    A man who backs up 20 feet back towards HIS vehicle and reaches inside all while the police are telling him to stop. All comes down to following simple instruction.
    Taser him somwhere in that 20 feet. pretty simple.

Again, you're probably right. Shooting people dead should always be option #1
    I'm convinced I did not say,that was option number 1. I know I'm right when I said the bottom line is if he had followed a simple instruction, he would not have been shot at all.
    We get it, you are right, he should have followed commands, but that apparently didn't happen and now another black man is dead. Who wasn't armed, and wasn't reaching for a gun. So now how do we move forward so less people die? Just saying he should have followed orders does not offer any kind of solution to this problem. We will get no where if we keep blaming the victim.
    Does the fact he was black matter? Do you think he wouldn't have been shot if he was white?
    I don't see how this has anything to do with my comment, but I will answer your question. We will never know for sure, but the stats show that he was more likely to be shot because of the colour of his skin.

Care to address anything else I mentioned in my comment?
    I will. I think saying he should have followed orders does present a solution. Kids in minority communities are often taught to not obey cops, and as a result are getting shot more. They are being told to not obey cops, teachers, or almost anyone else of authority. so they have a higher drop out rate, arrest rate, getting-shot-by-cops rate.
    I'm not saying its the fault of the black communities, I mentioned some reasons why earlier. But I do think that is why groups like BLM and these self serving black leaders like Sharpton don't do any favors for these communities because they just spread the fear which feeds into this ideology of victimization and not needing to listen to authority. Which gets them killed.
    ??? Exactly by whom are kids in minority communities being taught to NOT to obey cops, teachers, or almost anyone of authority?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited September 2016

the stat's ????? how about giving us the whole truth in the "stat's" why are black men more likely to be shot by police and please don't tell me it's the color of their skin because that's straight up bullshit.
    Godfather.

I'm not even going to try and argue scientific findings and numbers with someone who's barely literate......and can suspend logical thought enough to vote for Trump.

• Options
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I'm wondering what that cop in Tulsa was supposed to do. The guy did have his hands up, but continued to back up towards his vehicle, then turns his back to the officer while reaching into the vehicle, no?

A man who backs up 20 feet back towards HIS vehicle and reaches inside all while the police are telling him to stop. All comes down to following simple instruction.

I'm convinced I did not say,that was option number 1. I know I'm right when I said the bottom line is if he had followed a simple instruction, he would not have been shot at all.
    We get it, you are right, he should have followed commands, but that apparently didn't happen and now another black man is dead. Who wasn't armed, and wasn't reaching for a gun. So now how do we move forward so less people die? Just saying he should have followed orders does not offer any kind of solution to this problem. We will get no where if we keep blaming the victim.
    Does the fact he was black matter? Do you think he wouldn't have been shot if he was white?
    I don't see how this has anything to do with my comment, but I will answer your question. We will never know for sure, but the stats show that he was more likely to be shot because of the colour of his skin.

I will. I think saying he should have followed orders does present a solution. Kids in minority communities are often taught to not obey cops, and as a result are getting shot more. They are being told to not obey cops, teachers, or almost anyone else of authority. so they have a higher drop out rate, arrest rate, getting-shot-by-cops rate.
    These are bold claims. Care to provide any evidence to back up this assertion that minorities are told to not obey anyone?

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited September 2016
    I work in a school, so does my wife. We both have had multiple parents tell us directly they teach their children they don't have to listen to us or do anything we say. One mom even said, and I can almost remember exactly "Ever since that cop molested that girl I tell him not to listen to cops either." I have no idea what case she was referring to. Unfortunately it is not rare in some communities to have this mentality. I wouldn't say it is what most parents do, but even if only 5% teach their kids that, then that's a huge number.
    Those are just the ones that directly say it to our face in front of their kids. I'm sure there's even more who I've never had a parent meeting with, or they could learn it through example as well.
    My father and brother are both in law enforcement in LA county and they would witness that on a daily basis. A lot of these kids their only perception of law enforcement is when they come to take mom or dad to jail. They might show up for a domestic disturbance call, but as soon as they show up they are the bad guys. Kids learn from all that.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

You don't think that "blaming the victim" will do any good? Then let's not blame the victim and just hold him personally accountable for not listening? Does that terminology help?

I certainly do not know all of the fact in this case. But again, as in many of these police shootings, the common denominator is the victim did not follow simple instructuon. Do your stats take into consideration anything other than the race of the victim?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    We only have to look as far as the judicial system for hard proof that black males have a higher conviction rate for longer jail times than white males to see that systemic racism exists. To think that this would only apply to the judicial system would be naive.

Racial Gap in Men's Sentencing
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324432004578304463789858002

What It’s Like to Be Black in the Criminal Justice System
    These eight charts suggest there are racial disparities at every phase of the justice system.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/08/racial_disparities_in_the_criminal_justice_system_eight_charts_illustrating.html

Drug Sentencing Disparities

About 14 million Whites and 2.6 million African Americans report using an illicit drug
    5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites
    African Americans represent 12% of the total population of drug users, but 38% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 59% of those in state prison for a drug offense.
    African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months). (Sentencing Project)

http://www.naacp.org/pages/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

• Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

You don't think that "blaming the victim" will do any good? Then let's not blame the victim and just hold him personally accountable for not listening? Does that terminology help?

I certainly do not know all of the fact in this case. But again, as in many of these police shootings, the common denominator is the victim did not follow simple instructuon. Do your stats take into consideration anything other than the race of the victim?
    Yeah, I don't think victim blaming will solve the problem. Holding him personally accountable will not bring him back to life or save the life of the next unarmed black man who is shot by police. The change has to start with how police deal with these situations, because these situations will always happen. We don't know if this man was mentally ill at the time and confused.....that is no reason to get killed.

As far as the stats, I've posted peer reviewed research in the police abuse thread addressing shot times and race. I don't have the time to find it all again...it's all over there if you're interested.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,562
    Tulsa Police Officer Will Face Manslaughter Charge In Unarmed Man's Death
    http://n.pr/2ddbs7r
  • Options
    dignin said:

We only have to look as far as the judicial system for hard proof that black males have a higher conviction rate for longer jail times than white males to see that systemic racism exists. To think that this would only apply to the judicial system would be naive.

These eight charts suggest there are racial disparities at every phase of the justice system.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/08/racial_disparities_in_the_criminal_justice_system_eight_charts_illustrating.html

About 14 million Whites and 2.6 million African Americans report using an illicit drug
    5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites
    African Americans represent 12% of the total population of drug users, but 38% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 59% of those in state prison for a drug offense.
    African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months). (Sentencing Project)

Legalize drugs.

It's time.

The upside to doing so socially and financially is sky high.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dignin said:

I would be interested in other stats too, like average amount a white person spends on a lawyer vs black. The difference could be in representation. Better lawyers can mean better deals, lesser charges, less time in jail..
    Would also be interested in subcategories, like which drug offenses are gang related. Many cities/counties have stiffer penalties for gang relations.
    How many were multiple offenders.

Not that I'm interested enough to do the research myself, but interested enough to point it out....
  • Options

dignin said:

Legalize drugs.

It's time.

Just weed I'm assuming??
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    dignin said:

Godfather.

I'm not even going to try and argue scientific findings and numbers with someone who's barely literate......and can suspend logical thought enough to vote for Trump.

scientific findings ? suspend logical thought ? dude you and a few others are living a fairy tale dream of self pity, are you one of those guy's who wears a t shirt that has "I'm so sorry" printed on the front ? your using race baiting babble and half truths to push a point that has no real logic to back it up.....fuck man just look at the news streaming any riot, notice anything similar about every friggin one ?
    you do the math on that one..why would anybody destroy their own neighborhood ? why are stores always looted at these "protest's"
    then they have the ball to chant kill white people...I just can't imagine anybody being that stupid...but every time there they are.

Godfather.

• Options

dignin said:

Legalize drugs.

It's time.

Just weed I'm assuming??
    I used to be just a weed/hash kind of person.

I'm beginning to wonder about some of the other drugs though.

Our kids are smoking doped laced with fentanyl. Gangsters are reaping the profits. People are being thrown in prison and running afoul of the law working to distribute the drugs to the users (more complicity on the part of the privileged by the way).

Let's regulate it (work on quality control... also create many jobs in the science field of research and development).
    Sell it legally (create multiple levels of jobs).
    Tax it (create government revenue to support public sector industries).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

dignin said:

Godfather.

scientific findings ? suspend logical thought ? dude you and a few others are living a fairy tale dream of self pity, are you one of those guy's who wears a t shirt that has "I'm so sorry" printed on the front ? your using race baiting babble and half truths to push a point that has no real logic to back it up.....fuck man just look at the news streaming any riot, notice anything similar about every friggin one ?
    you do the math on that one..why would anybody destroy their own neighborhood ? why are stores always looted at these "protest's"
    then they have the ball to chant kill white people...I just can't imagine anybody being that stupid...but every time there they are.

Godfather.

Is it because black people are deficient human beings? Is that the point you're trying to make? I'm at a loss as to what you're getting at.

• Options

dignin said:

Legalize drugs.

It's time.

That would be a great start. It would have a huge impact.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    just one person's opinion: (I know the source isn't objective but it's pretty compelling evidence that his hands weren't raised)
    http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/20/terence-crutcher-shot-hands-heres-definitive-proof/
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Family of Keith Lamont Scott want videos released, Charlotte police say no.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    black residents of the North Carolina city "hate white people because white people are successful and they're not."

Who said it?
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    JC29856 said:

black residents of the North Carolina city "hate white people because white people are successful and they're not."

Who said it?

Hilary?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather, you appear to be dealing w/ someone who has stage 4 liberalism. Common sense is futile....
  • Options
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather, you appear to be dealing w/ someone who has stage 4 liberalism. Common sense is futile....
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Ahhh. Two of the spades found each other.....
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Smellyman said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Ahhh, now this is really interesting. Calling someone a Spade is especially Racist where I come from.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    edited September 2016
    muskydan said:

Smellyman said:

muskydan said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Ahhh, now this is really interesting. Calling someone a Spade is especially Racist where I come from.
    I haven't heard that term used in a way referring to race in ages. Is that common knowledge here? Isn't it sort of like referring to someones coiffure as a "DA haircut"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Is it because black people are deficient human beings? Is that the point you're trying to make? I'm at a loss as to what you're getting at.

absolutely not.

Godfather.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

just one person's opinion: (I know the source isn't objective but it's pretty compelling evidence that his hands weren't raised)
    http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/20/terence-crutcher-shot-hands-heres-definitive-proof/

here's the thing. if a 2nd cop fired a tasered which means he felt at least somewhat threatened how can a jury honestly convict the officer in the killing? 2 different police officers felt threatened at the exact same moment, not just one. it seems like they charged this woman in a haste to quell the growing firestorm but sadly it will most likely lead to another firestorm if/when she is found not guilty.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

mcgruff10 said:

here's the thing. if a 2nd cop fired a tasered which means he felt at least somewhat threatened how can a jury honestly convict the officer in the killing? 2 different police officers felt threatened at the exact same moment, not just one. it seems like they charged this woman in a haste to quell the growing firestorm but sadly it will most likely lead to another firestorm if/when she is found not guilty.
    The argument would be, I'm guessing, that the taser is not lethal force. It doesn't require as high level of threat to use a taser than to you a gun. In fact, I believe cops don't even need to fear for their safety to use a taser, just need to justify using force which would only require noncompliance.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

dignin said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Lord have mercy ! ain't it the truth !

Godfather.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    pjhawks said:

mcgruff10 said:

exactly!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......