Options

police kill unarmed black man

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

I'm wondering what that cop in Tulsa was supposed to do. The guy did have his hands up, but continued to back up towards his vehicle, then turns his back to the officer while reaching into the vehicle, no?

Taser? 4 vs 1? lots of stuff.

But you're right, shooting dead was probably the only option.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

People are just too sensitive nowadays... Where's Dave Chappelle when you need him

What's interesting is what group people think are too sensitive.

Words are words and in America you have the right to use them freely even if other find them offensive. You can use any adjective you want to describe a group or persons behavior. Get over it. Savage can apply to an animal as well. No need to differentiate the color of fur to determine if it's offensive or racist.

Yes, words are words. And as you pointed out, savage also applies to animals, and in this case (and historically) racial minorities. If you say something, expect hearing something in response.
    It comes down to intent. If you can prove to me that the word was intentionally used as a racist reference then you have something. If not then the word is just an adjective(fierce, violent, uncontrolled), noun(primaries and uncivilized), or verb(attack or maul). The word can describe a group or people or a person regaurdless of their skin color. Appearently in your world if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
    historical context also matters. if the duck was named a duck by a bunch of oppressive geese 200 years ago because of the colour of its feathers and the shortness of its neck, then yeah, calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
    "Boy" was also used to talk down to slaves back in the day. Didn't know I was calling my three male offsprings a derogatory racist name all these years.
    Relationship context also matters.
    Seems like you have all these rules for the convience of your stance. My turn then...no it doesn't.

Wow, seriously? You think that's a rule of convenience? It's called a societal rule of basic respect. You can't understand that you can call your son "boy", but not a black person boy? You think that's some sort of PC rule that's oppressing you?
    A random black person...no, but I can talk pretty damn freely to my black friends and co workers
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited September 2016
    Smellyman said:

I'm wondering what that cop in Tulsa was supposed to do. The guy did have his hands up, but continued to back up towards his vehicle, then turns his back to the officer while reaching into the vehicle, no?

A man who backs up 20 feet back towards HIS vehicle and reaches inside all while the police are telling him to stop. All comes down to following simple instruction.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited September 2016

Smellyman said:

A man who backs up 20 feet back towards HIS vehicle and reaches inside all while the police are telling him to stop. All comes down to following simple instruction.
    Taser him somwhere in that 20 feet. pretty simple.

Again, you're probably right. Shooting people dead should always be option #1
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I'm convinced I did not say,that was option number 1. I know I'm right when I said the bottom line is if he had followed a simple instruction, he would not have been shot at all.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I'm convinced I did not say,that was option number 1. I know I'm right when I said the bottom line is if he had followed a simple instruction, he would not have been shot at all.
    We get it, you are right, he should have followed commands, but that apparently didn't happen and now another black man is dead. Who wasn't armed, and wasn't reaching for a gun. So now how do we move forward so less people die? Just saying he should have followed orders does not offer any kind of solution to this problem. We will get no where if we keep blaming the victim.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

he was taser'd and it had no effect. Its being reported he was on PCP and had PCP in his vehicle.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

We get it, you are right, he should have followed commands, but that apparently didn't happen and now another black man is dead. Who wasn't armed, and wasn't reaching for a gun. So now how do we move forward so less people die? Just saying he should have followed orders does not offer any kind of solution to this problem. We will get no where if we keep blaming the victim.
    Yeah another black man is dead. Where is all the outrage over the 100 black men shot and killed every week in cities like Chicago. You don't see anyu riots happening on the south side of Chicago. So in their eyes I guess those killings are OK or justified?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I would love to see how some of you Monday morning quaterbacks would handle these situations with your lives on the line
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    edited September 2016

eddiec said:

Walk up to a black guy on the street, drop a nickel on the ground and say 'Pick that up for me, boy.'
    When we all cut the bullshit and agree that is a racist statement maybe we can move on and have a real discussion.

Uh, ok...
    If that black guy is 12 years old or younger I would say no. If that black is a man hell yes that's a racist and demeaning way to speak to a person. Would anyone would walk up to a white man with the same situation and say, *Pick that up for me, boy?* How would that white person feel about that question?

Peace

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

Actually... it wasn't the first option. Multiple commands that were disobeyed were the first options.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

So personal responsibility doesn't matter... It's basically blame someone else for not following rules, laws, etc. The cops shouldn't ALWAYS shoot to kill, but no matter what color you are why would you not follow commands. WTF. Oh, well. Let's just riot. That solves everything...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    it's kind of ironic that the ones who are complaining the loudest here about oppression of blacks are the ones with the most rules for how we should talk to and/or deal with them. here is a thought, stop,telling people how to do that. i don't need directions on how to talk with friends, acquaintances or even strangers. common sense really should be more common.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,917
    don't resist arrest.
    follow the officers commands.

seems pretty simple to me.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    eddiec said:

Walk up to a black guy on the street, drop a nickel on the ground and say 'Pick that up for me, boy.'
    When we all cut the bullshit and agree that is a racist statement maybe we can move on and have a real discussion.

That would actually be pretty rude no matter what the race is....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    pjhawks said:

it's kind of ironic that the ones who are complaining the loudest here about oppression of blacks are the ones with the most rules for how we should talk to and/or deal with them. here is a thought, stop,telling people how to do that. i don't need directions on how to talk with friends, acquaintances or even strangers. common sense really should be more common.

they aren't "rules". it's basic human decency in 2016. that's it. how you talk in your inner circle is meaningless in the context of this discussion. I can call my buddy "motherfucker", but I wouldn't say that to a stranger on the street. same shit.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

Very simple. Even if you are innocent. Comply and let the cops do what they have to do to investigate the situation.
  • Options

the police reacted to a threatening situation and unfortunately a man died there is no race issue here, misinformation and the media once again led to another riot, some folks are and have been to quick to react in violent way...so the actions of rioters are defended with accusations of racism towards their accusers because it's a great way to turn off the lime light they have shined upon themselves.
    even here on the AMT the ugly finger of racism is pointed freely in the direction of anybody who dare call it out as it truly is.

Godfather.

you don't even know what racism is. speaking the truth is "black crime is XX% of all crime". saying "blacks need to get their shit together" is not truth, it's racist.

I haven't watched the video of this instance, but from what I've read, it wasn't a race issue. I think cops in america are trigger happy (justified or not is another discussion-I personally think US cops are incredibly stressed and for good reason), and black people seem to be on the brunt of the end of that because of societal issues, not because of racial issues from cop to victim.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    KC138045 said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

Yeah another black man is dead. Where is all the outrage over the 100 black men shot and killed every week in cities like Chicago. You don't see anyu riots happening on the south side of Chicago. So in their eyes I guess those killings are OK or justified?
    Take a second and think about how relevant a dumbass comment like that is before you pass on a Rushism.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    KC138045 said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

But...but....but....but.............Hey guys! Look over here! Something else bad is happening.....why aren't we talking about this?

If you care so much about that topic start a thread about it. Bad and tired try at a deflection.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,674

PP193448 said:

People are just too sensitive nowadays... Where's Dave Chappelle when you need him

What's interesting is what group people think are too sensitive.

Words are words and in America you have the right to use them freely even if other find them offensive. You can use any adjective you want to describe a group or persons behavior. Get over it. Savage can apply to an animal as well. No need to differentiate the color of fur to determine if it's offensive or racist.

Yes, words are words. And as you pointed out, savage also applies to animals, and in this case (and historically) racial minorities. If you say something, expect hearing something in response.
    It comes down to intent. If you can prove to me that the word was intentionally used as a racist reference then you have something. If not then the word is just an adjective(fierce, violent, uncontrolled), noun(primaries and uncivilized), or verb(attack or maul). The word can describe a group or people or a person regaurdless of their skin color. Appearently in your world if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
    historical context also matters. if the duck was named a duck by a bunch of oppressive geese 200 years ago because of the colour of its feathers and the shortness of its neck, then yeah, calling it a duck is offensive and racist.
    "Boy" was also used to talk down to slaves back in the day. Didn't know I was calling my three male offsprings a derogatory racist name all these years.
    Relationship context also matters.
    Seems like you have all these rules for the convience of your stance. My turn then...no it doesn't.

Wow, seriously? You think that's a rule of convenience? It's called a societal rule of basic respect. You can't understand that you can call your son "boy", but not a black person boy? You think that's some sort of PC rule that's oppressing you?
    A random black person...no, but I can talk pretty damn freely to my black friends and co workers
    So we're in agreement. You speak differently to different people based on the relationship context. E.g. friends, co-workers, strangers.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

And if a white person doesn't follow these rules, they're less likely to get shot then when a black person doesn't follow them. This is the crux of the issue that some people seem to be ignoring.
  • Options
    I still can't for the life of me understand why people continue to disobey simple police instructions. especially with guns drawn. I guarantee you, I'm always innocent, and if they tell me to get on the ground with my hands on my head, damn skippy I'm doing it, and asking if there is anything else I need to do.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

And if a white person doesn't follow these rules, they're less likely to get shot then when a black person doesn't follow them. This is the crux of the issue that some people seem to be ignoring.
    I don't think anyone is ignoring it.

The issue is far bigger than white cops being eager to shoot black people because they're scared of them. The issue is systematic oppression that serves the fortuitous (such as yourself).

That is the issue people are ignoring. Don't just point fingers at cops handling the face of the problem-and point fingers in the mirror too.

Kap is donating $1,000,000 to help with the problem. Maybe all you righteous MT people can put your money where your mouth is as well if you feel so strongly about it: to scale... say $100?
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

I still can't for the life of me understand why people continue to disobey simple police instructions. especially with guns drawn. I guarantee you, I'm always innocent, and if they tell me to get on the ground with my hands on my head, damn skippy I'm doing it, and asking if there is anything else I need to do.

I agree with you on all but the "damn skippy" phrase... Never heard that one before... :lol:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    edited September 2016

the police reacted to a threatening situation and unfortunately a man died there is no race issue here, misinformation and the media once again led to another riot, some folks are and have been to quick to react in violent way...so the actions of rioters are defended with accusations of racism towards their accusers because it's a great way to turn off the lime light they have shined upon themselves.
    even here on the AMT the ugly finger of racism is pointed freely in the direction of anybody who dare call it out as it truly is.

Godfather.

you don't even know what racism is. speaking the truth is "black crime is XX% of all crime". saying "blacks need to get their shit together" is not truth, it's racist.

I haven't watched the video of this instance, but from what I've read, it wasn't a race issue. I think cops in america are trigger happy (justified or not is another discussion-I personally think US cops are incredibly stressed and for good reason), and black people seem to be on the brunt of the end of that because of societal issues, not because of racial issues from cop to victim.
    I don't know if citing factual data and calling out a group of people or community that is engaging in criminal activity as racist. ISIS is in the news everyday and there have been several people that have called out muslims to step up and take charge in the atrocities that ISIS commits. Is that racist??

The second part of your comment is disrespectful to the police force as a whole. With any group you are going to have bad actors or bad decisions. I still have faith in the police force and have noticed that many local police around where I live have gone out of their way to be more involved and visible to the community.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

I agree with you on all but the "damn skippy" phrase... Never heard that one before... :lol:
    Winnipeg guy. They say all kinds of stuff. (Googly eyed emoticon with toque)
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    U

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

The issue is far bigger than white cops being eager to shoot black people because they're scared of them. The issue is systematic oppression that serves the fortuitous (such as yourself).

That is the issue people are ignoring. Don't just point fingers at cops handling the face of the problem-and point fingers in the mirror too.

Kap is donating $1,000,000 to help with the problem. Maybe all you righteous MT people can put your money where your mouth is as well if you feel so strongly about it: to scale... say $100?
    Fairness, responsibility, accountability and justification is totally lost in all this non sense.
    That's all anybody wants, whether it's your job, your relationships, if your Jewish Muslim or Irish Catholic. Whether you're a cop politician or CEO of a bank, THAT'S ALL PEOPLE WANT!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

The societal aspect is the larger issue, but that is slow change. Change with how cops interact with people can happen quickly.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    PP193448 said:

I've heard that phrase before *damn skippy*.....however I prefer *damn jiffy* I like Jif peanut butter. :smile:

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)