Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited September 2016

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.
    follow the officers commands.

seems pretty simple to me.

Very simple. Even if you are innocent. Comply and let the cops do what they have to do to investigate the situation.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

the police reacted to a threatening situation and unfortunately a man died there is no race issue here, misinformation and the media once again led to another riot, some folks are and have been to quick to react in violent way...so the actions of rioters are defended with accusations of racism towards their accusers because it's a great way to turn off the lime light they have shined upon themselves.
    even here on the AMT the ugly finger of racism is pointed freely in the direction of anybody who dare call it out as it truly is.

Godfather.

you don't even know what racism is. speaking the truth is "black crime is XX% of all crime". saying "blacks need to get their shit together" is not truth, it's racist.

I haven't watched the video of this instance, but from what I've read, it wasn't a race issue. I think cops in america are trigger happy (justified or not is another discussion-I personally think US cops are incredibly stressed and for good reason), and black people seem to be on the brunt of the end of that because of societal issues, not because of racial issues from cop to victim.
    I don't know if citing factual data and calling out a group of people or community that is engaging in criminal activity as racist. ISIS is in the news everyday and there have been several people that have called out muslims to step up and take charge in the atrocities that ISIS commits. Is that racist??

The second part of your comment is disrespectful to the police force as a whole. With any group you are going to have bad actors or bad decisions. I still have faith in the police force and have noticed that many local police around where I live have gone out of their way to be more involved and visible to the community.
    how is it disrespectful? I am not saying all cops are bad. FAR FROM IT. I am sure 99% are fabulous. Just like muslims. I am saying they are in an impossible situation, not knowing day to day and situation to situation if someone will comply or turn around and shoot at them. that would make the most hardened cop a little fucking jumpy. I'd be nervous every day I go to work if I'm a copy in a major american city. I'm not saying it is their fault at all.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

And if a white person doesn't follow these rules, they're less likely to get shot then when a black person doesn't follow them. This is the crux of the issue that some people seem to be ignoring.
    I don't think anyone is ignoring it.

The issue is far bigger than white cops being eager to shoot black people because they're scared of them. The issue is systematic oppression that serves the fortuitous (such as yourself).

That is the issue people are ignoring. Don't just point fingers at cops handling the face of the problem-and point fingers in the mirror too.

Kap is donating $1,000,000 to help with the problem. Maybe all you righteous MT people can put your money where your mouth is as well if you feel so strongly about it: to scale... say $100?
    The societal aspect is the larger issue, but that is slow change. Change with how cops interact with people can happen quickly.
    Sure.

"For the time being... until we figure out how to treat our minority populations fairer... can you cops take additional risks while on the job? Can you just drop your guard?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    rgambs said:

KC138045 said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I'm wondering what that cop in Tulsa was supposed to do. The guy did have his hands up, but continued to back up towards his vehicle, then turns his back to the officer while reaching into the vehicle, no?

Taser? 4 vs 1? lots of stuff.

But you're right, shooting dead was probably the only option.
    A man who backs up 20 feet back towards HIS vehicle and reaches inside all while the police are telling him to stop. All comes down to following simple instruction.
    Taser him somwhere in that 20 feet. pretty simple.

Again, you're probably right. Shooting people dead should always be option #1
    I'm convinced I did not say,that was option number 1. I know I'm right when I said the bottom line is if he had followed a simple instruction, he would not have been shot at all.
    We get it, you are right, he should have followed commands, but that apparently didn't happen and now another black man is dead. Who wasn't armed, and wasn't reaching for a gun. So now how do we move forward so less people die? Just saying he should have followed orders does not offer any kind of solution to this problem. We will get no where if we keep blaming the victim.
    Yeah another black man is dead. Where is all the outrage over the 100 black men shot and killed every week in cities like Chicago. You don't see anyu riots happening on the south side of Chicago. So in their eyes I guess those killings are OK or justified?
    Take a second and think about how relevant a dumbass comment like that is before you pass on a Rushism.
    dignin said:

KC138045 said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I'm wondering what that cop in Tulsa was supposed to do. The guy did have his hands up, but continued to back up towards his vehicle, then turns his back to the officer while reaching into the vehicle, no?

A man who backs up 20 feet back towards HIS vehicle and reaches inside all while the police are telling him to stop. All comes down to following simple instruction.

I'm convinced I did not say,that was option number 1. I know I'm right when I said the bottom line is if he had followed a simple instruction, he would not have been shot at all.
    We get it, you are right, he should have followed commands, but that apparently didn't happen and now another black man is dead. Who wasn't armed, and wasn't reaching for a gun. So now how do we move forward so less people die? Just saying he should have followed orders does not offer any kind of solution to this problem. We will get no where if we keep blaming the victim.
    Yeah another black man is dead. Where is all the outrage over the 100 black men shot and killed every week in cities like Chicago. You don't see anyu riots happening on the south side of Chicago. So in their eyes I guess those killings are OK or justified?
    But...but....but....but.............Hey guys! Look over here! Something else bad is happening.....why aren't we talking about this?

If you care so much about that topic start a thread about it. Bad and tired try at a deflection.
    It was not a dumbass comment or a deflection. In all of these cases there is a rush to judgement my the media and the public before any facts have come to light. All they see is black man shot by cop and riots ensue. If BLM really cared about black lives they should focus more on than just the issues with cops. Black on black crime, % of blacks with no father figure, % of teenage pregnancies amongst blacks, % off abortions amongst blacks and so on. There is a higher percentage of these problems amongst the black community than any other race.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited September 2016

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

And if a white person doesn't follow these rules, they're less likely to get shot then when a black person doesn't follow them. This is the crux of the issue that some people seem to be ignoring.

The issue is far bigger than white cops being eager to shoot black people because they're scared of them. The issue is systematic oppression that serves the fortuitous (such as yourself).

That is the issue people are ignoring. Don't just point fingers at cops handling the face of the problem-and point fingers in the mirror too.

Kap is donating $1,000,000 to help with the problem. Maybe all you righteous MT people can put your money where your mouth is as well if you feel so strongly about it: to scale... say $100?
    The societal aspect is the larger issue, but that is slow change. Change with how cops interact with people can happen quickly.
    How about how people interact with the police? Especially with people like you feeding the frenzy by parroting that the police are evil and all blacks are victims

Some of you people have zero fucking clue what is really going on out there
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    KC138045 said:

rgambs said:

KC138045 said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

Take a second and think about how relevant a dumbass comment like that is before you pass on a Rushism.
    dignin said:

KC138045 said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

But...but....but....but.............Hey guys! Look over here! Something else bad is happening.....why aren't we talking about this?

If you care so much about that topic start a thread about it. Bad and tired try at a deflection.
    It was not a dumbass comment or a deflection. In all of these cases there is a rush to judgement my the media and the public before any facts have come to light. All they see is black man shot by cop and riots ensue. If BLM really cared about black lives they should focus more on than just the issues with cops. Black on black crime, % of blacks with no father figure, % of teenage pregnancies amongst blacks, % off abortions amongst blacks and so on. There is a higher percentage of these problems amongst the black community than any other race.
    Those are irrelevant to the issue. Who do you protest for black on black crime? Protest the gangs???? Where is the potential to seek redress??
    If your child argues with and gets punched by a teacher will you take it the same way as an altercation with another student?
    If your boss disrespects you does it provoke the same reaction as disrespect from a coworker?

When authority is abused it is OBVIOUSLY not the same as abuse by peers.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

the police reacted to a threatening situation and unfortunately a man died there is no race issue here, misinformation and the media once again led to another riot, some folks are and have been to quick to react in violent way...so the actions of rioters are defended with accusations of racism towards their accusers because it's a great way to turn off the lime light they have shined upon themselves.
    even here on the AMT the ugly finger of racism is pointed freely in the direction of anybody who dare call it out as it truly is.

Godfather.

you don't even know what racism is. speaking the truth is "black crime is XX% of all crime". saying "blacks need to get their shit together" is not truth, it's racist.

I haven't watched the video of this instance, but from what I've read, it wasn't a race issue. I think cops in america are trigger happy (justified or not is another discussion-I personally think US cops are incredibly stressed and for good reason), and black people seem to be on the brunt of the end of that because of societal issues, not because of racial issues from cop to victim.
    I would look at the second statement of "blacks need to get their shit together" as a very insensitive way of expressing the fact in your first statement of "black crime is XX% of all crime," and not necessarily racist, at least not by intent.

black oppression leads to more crime, which leads to more oppression, which leads to more crime and so on, and as a result they get shot by police more. Which then leads to parents teaching their kids to not listen to cops, which leads to even more shootings.

I fail to see modern society as a whole keeping minorities down. To me it seems like this oppression is rooted down from previous generations and have been unable to break this cycle even after the times have changed.

I don't think you can blame the cops, or society. I don't think you can put all the blame on the black communities. I'm not sure what the answer is other than blaming cops will most likely make it worse, blaming black communities will most likely make it worse. Before my dad retired he was told flat out they didn't give him a promotion because they had to give it to someone of color. Our HR rep at my work has stated multiple times that he tells the hiring team to hire minorities over whites if they have a choice, and I don't think that solves anything either, maybe even makes it worse.
  • Options

Godfather.

I don't know if citing factual data and calling out a group of people or community that is engaging in criminal activity as racist. ISIS is in the news everyday and there have been several people that have called out muslims to step up and take charge in the atrocities that ISIS commits. Is that racist??

The second part of your comment is disrespectful to the police force as a whole. With any group you are going to have bad actors or bad decisions. I still have faith in the police force and have noticed that many local police around where I live have gone out of their way to be more involved and visible to the community.
    how is it disrespectful? I am not saying all cops are bad. FAR FROM IT. I am sure 99% are fabulous. Just like muslims. I am saying they are in an impossible situation, not knowing day to day and situation to situation if someone will comply or turn around and shoot at them. that would make the most hardened cop a little fucking jumpy. I'd be nervous every day I go to work if I'm a copy in a major american city. I'm not saying it is their fault at all.

I would agree that their mindset may be different now as they approach their day to day activities.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Godfather.

I would look at the second statement of "blacks need to get their shit together" as a very insensitive way of expressing the fact in your first statement of "black crime is XX% of all crime," and not necessarily racist, at least not by intent.

black oppression leads to more crime, which leads to more oppression, which leads to more crime and so on, and as a result they get shot by police more. Which then leads to parents teaching their kids to not listen to cops, which leads to even more shootings.

I fail to see modern society as a whole keeping minorities down. To me it seems like this oppression is rooted down from previous generations and have been unable to break this cycle even after the times have changed.

I don't think you can blame the cops, or society. I don't think you can put all the blame on the black communities. I'm not sure what the answer is other than blaming cops will most likely make it worse, blaming black communities will most likely make it worse. Before my dad retired he was told flat out they didn't give him a promotion because they had to give it to someone of color. Our HR rep at my work has stated multiple times that he tells the hiring team to hire minorities over whites if they have a choice, and I don't think that solves anything either, maybe even makes it worse.
    I put my second statement as far from inflammatory as possible, so people couldn't come back and say "but I didn't say THAT".

yes, I agree with everything you said here.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,673
    my2hands said:

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

How about how people interact with the police? Especially with people like you feeding the frenzy by parroting that the police are evil and all blacks are victims

Some of you people have zero fucking clue what is really going on out there
    Fortunately, you're in a forum where ypu can tell us what's going on.

I never said cops are evil, I'm saying they're human, and all humans carry around prejudicial garbage we've picked up on the way. I'm saying part of the cops job is to not respond to the prejudice in their head that gets triggered under stress, specifically "blacks are more prone to violence" prejudice. Departments can, and some do, effectively work with this issue through training and hiring.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Ok I want to get something seriously straight in this Tulsa shooting which I think is critical in this ongoing investigation. Was the victim reaching into an open window or was that said window closed? I'm reading reports and links that shows the window closed and a streak of blood running down on visibly closed window as shown below......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/19/man-fatally-shot-by-tulsa-police-was-unarmed-chief-says-as-disturbing-video-is-released/?utm_term=.84ec439c8f17

So which scenario is it....window closed or open?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:

U

mcgruff10 said:

don't resist arrest.

Fairness, responsibility, accountability and justification is totally lost in all this non sense.
    That's all anybody wants, whether it's your job, your relationships, if your Jewish Muslim or Irish Catholic. Whether you're a cop politician or CEO of a bank, THAT'S ALL PEOPLE WANT!
    Don't mix the message
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    g under p said:

Ok I want to get something seriously straight in this Tulsa shooting which I think is critical in this ongoing investigation. Was the victim reaching into an open window or was that said window closed? I'm reading reports and links that shows the window closed and a streak of blood running down on visibly closed window as shown below......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/19/man-fatally-shot-by-tulsa-police-was-unarmed-chief-says-as-disturbing-video-is-released/?utm_term=.84ec439c8f17

Peace

Looks closed to me.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Rap music..this wasnt a daily issue before rap music. When all the music you listen to is full of hate, it breeds hate.
    Or you could blame it on bad parenting. I was brought up to obey police. I have had a few run ends and have always been respectful.
    I am pretty sure had I been disobeying a direct order I may have been treated more harshly..
    Shame is no one is going to want to be a cop. And that is gonna be a bad thing folks..

Notice there was no mention of race in this opinion.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options

Rap music..this wasnt a daily issue before rap music. When all the music you listen to is full of hate, it breeds hate.
    Or you could blame it on bad parenting. I was brought up to obey police. I have had a few run ends and have always been respectful.
    I am pretty sure had I been disobeying a direct order I may have been treated more harshly..
    Shame is no one is going to want to be a cop. And that is gonna be a bad thing folks..

1988 called and it wants it Straight Outta Compton cassette back!
  • Options
    dignin said:

g under p said:

Peace

Looks closed to me.
    You should always listen to police and follow their orders and investigations of themselves, always! Always go by what the police say, always!
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

g under p said:

Peace

Looks closed to me.
    You should always listen to police and follow their orders and investigations of themselves, always! Always go by what the police say, always!
    No..just be respectful and obey obvious commands..ya know..like "stop" is a good one...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options

1988 called and it wants it Straight Outta Compton cassette back!
    Bring back Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

That rock and roll musix makes the kids crazy! Ban it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016
    g under p said:

Peace

Window was closed and the Tulsa shooting is disturbing, but the Charlotte case is much different and appears justified at this point, but as always we need the full facts to come out before burning our cities down to the ground

• Options

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

g under p said:

Peace

Looks closed to me.
    No..just be respectful and obey obvious commands..ya know..like "stop" is a good one...
    Yes correct that's what I'm saying...obey their commands, always!
    When they say PCP was found inside the vehicle believe it, when they say he was reaching for a gun believe it, when they say he looked like he was on PCP believe it, believe it, always!
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

g under p said:

Peace

Looks closed to me.
    Pretty sure that's what got us into this predicament in the first place. Police have known for a long time now that they won't be held accountable for their actions. As a result, they now consistently cross the line of what is reasonable and necessary. The Police are not the judge, jury or executioner and need to be reminded of their role in society. That role is to enforce the rule of law, not indiscriminately kill citizens.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

g under p said:

Peace

Window was closed and the Tulsa shooting is disturbing, but the Charlotte case is much different and appears justified at this point, but as always we need the full facts to come out before burning our cities down to the ground

Justified? How so?
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

g under p said:

Peace

Looks closed to me.
    Pretty sure that's what got us into this predicament in the first place. Police have known for a long time now that they won't be held accountable for their actions. As a result, they now consistently cross the line of what is reasonable and necessary. The Police are not the judge, jury or executioner and need to be reminded of their role in society. That role is to enforce the rule of law, not indiscriminately kill citizens.
    consistently? doubtful. if it was consistently, we'd have hundreds of innocent people being shot every day. we don't. think of the amount of check stops that are done in the US daily. this is by FAR a miniscule percentage of stops that go awry. is it still a problem? absolutely. but to say they consistently cross the line is egregious.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

g under p said:

Peace

Looks closed to me.
    Yes correct that's what I'm saying...obey their commands, always!
    When they say PCP was found inside the vehicle believe it, when they say he was reaching for a gun believe it, when they say he looked like he was on PCP believe it, believe it, always!
    The government can't be trusted and can't do anything right! We needs smaller government and they need to get out of the way! Wait, I mean always do what your told! You can trust the government, especially the ones carrying a gun!
  • Options
    When will Charlotte authorities release dash cam video of the guy pointing or dropping or going for a gun?
    Maybe they are reviewing the tape to frame their story around what the video reveals? If attorneys are involved it may take some time.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

Does the fact he was black matter? Do you think he wouldn't have been shot if he was white?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

Does the fact he was black matter? Do you think he wouldn't have been shot if he was white?
    I don't see how this has anything to do with my comment, but I will answer your question. We will never know for sure, but the stats show that he was more likely to be shot because of the colour of his skin.

Care to address anything else I mentioned in my comment?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    the stat's ????? how about giving us the whole truth in the "stat's" why are black men more likely to be shot by police and please don't tell me it's the color of their skin because that's straight up bullshit.
    Godfather.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    dignin said:

dignin said:

Smellyman said:

Smellyman said:

I don't see how this has anything to do with my comment, but I will answer your question. We will never know for sure, but the stats show that he was more likely to be shot because of the colour of his skin.

Care to address anything else I mentioned in my comment?
    I will. I think saying he should have followed orders does present a solution. Kids in minority communities are often taught to not obey cops, and as a result are getting shot more. They are being told to not obey cops, teachers, or almost anyone else of authority. so they have a higher drop out rate, arrest rate, getting-shot-by-cops rate.
    I'm not saying its the fault of the black communities, I mentioned some reasons why earlier. But I do think that is why groups like BLM and these self serving black leaders like Sharpton don't do any favors for these communities because they just spread the fear which feeds into this ideology of victimization and not needing to listen to authority. Which gets them killed.