Options

Are you aware of what's going on? Dakota Pipeline

SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
edited November 2016 in A Moving Train
I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
#standingman #duranadam
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,731
    This is so cool! Right on! Very cool to see excellent American Indian writer Sherman Alexie (“It feels like 1875 because Natives are still fighting for our land,” tweeted Native American writer Sherman Alexie) mentioned her as well as Bill McKibben, Leonardo DiCaprio, and of course all the tribe members who stood up to protect their land. Also cool to see that, "They were joined by a smattering of earthy white folk and a crew of Black Lives Matters activists from Minneapolis."

"I was told that many of the activists came from Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, home to the Wounded Knee Massacre of 1890 and uprising in 1973, still bearing a stamp of badassery from the days of the American Indian Movement"..."Nonetheless, in five days I witnessed no violence, lawlessness, alcohol, or even hostility. A couple speakers even welcomed “European relatives” such as myself. " Excellent!

If I were able to right now I would so go up and stand with these people.

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, SOLAT!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    This is utterly disgusting:

"...construction crews destroyed American Indian burial and cultural sites..."

This demolition is devastating," Archambault said. "These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings there cannot be replaced. In one day, our sacred land has been turned into hollow ground."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-oil-pipeline-protest-north-dakota-20160903-story.html

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    http://m.democracynow.org/web_exclusives/2981

VIDEO: Dakota Access Pipeline Company Attacks Native American Protesters with Dogs and Pepper Spray
  • Options
    Free said:

http://m.democracynow.org/web_exclusives/2981

VIDEO: Dakota Access Pipeline Company Attacks Native American Protesters with Dogs and Pepper Spray

Yep. The same kind of repression of indigenous people that has been going on for centuries. And so much of that repression has focused for so long in the Dakotas. Terrible.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    This event is so frustrating to me that I can't even talk about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Not to be pushy, but in what way is it frustrating to you?

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

The way Natives have been and are treated in North America makes me so mad and sad I can't even stand it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

The way Natives have been and are treated in North America makes me so mad and sad I can't even stand it.
    I hear you, PJ_Soul.

If this helps any... we always hear the horrible things that happen to Native Americans (and the incidents are nearly countless) but there are some great stories of success and examples of amazing creativity. If you get a chance, check our Paul Chaat Smith's books Like A Hurricane which covers a lot of the history of the Indian Movement and Everything You Know about Indians is Wrong a collection of essays that mainly focus on American Indian artists and film makers.

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    A Native co-worker from my school spent several weeks at the Standing Rock camp and has been going back and forth as work allows. The wife and I have friends who work and live on the rez as well. It has been very interesting to see and hear their perspective of what's happening out there verse what is in the news.
  • Options

A Native co-worker from my school spent several weeks at the Standing Rock camp and has been going back and forth as work allows. The wife and I have friends who work and live on the rez as well. It has been very interesting to see and hear their perspective of what's happening out there verse what is in the news.

What's their take? Would be great to hear more incites from your neck of the woods.

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    brianlux said:

What's their take? Would be great to hear more incites from your neck of the woods.
    Their accounts are that the camps and those there have been peaceful and are well organized. It has also energized the Native community, not just the Lakota, but Native people from all over the country in a way that hasn't been seen in generations. My co-worker was at Pine Ridge during the stand off in the 70s and has been an active member of AIM since and he told me it was the largest gathering of Native he has ever seen. Those there are viewing the protest as the last stand from their people and are committed to being there for the long haul.

The authorities are trying like he'll to limit any access to the camps. The major highway out of the closest city is closed and smaller roadways not on tribal land are being closed as well. Also the word about heavy-handed reaction/response by authorities appears to be truth. State patrol helicopters regularly circle the camp, heavy survalience in the area and people in vehicles are being stopped on the roads for no reason and hassled. The sherrif in the county where this is occurring appears to be a piece of work and a puppet for the energy company to limit media access. Some friends who went out there on Thursday reported being stopped questioned for no reason. This didn't last long when my my friend handed the state patrol officer the business card of his law firm.

It's also interesting to read about the pushbavk on this pipeline that is beginning now in Iowa. Groups of farmers who agreed to allow access for compensation instead of fighting out an eminent domain case are starting to push back.

Anyways here's a good source for updates on the happenings in Indian Country:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com
  • Options

brianlux said:

Their accounts are that the camps and those there have been peaceful and are well organized. It has also energized the Native community, not just the Lakota, but Native people from all over the country in a way that hasn't been seen in generations. My co-worker was at Pine Ridge during the stand off in the 70s and has been an active member of AIM since and he told me it was the largest gathering of Native he has ever seen. Those there are viewing the protest as the last stand from their people and are committed to being there for the long haul.

The authorities are trying like he'll to limit any access to the camps. The major highway out of the closest city is closed and smaller roadways not on tribal land are being closed as well. Also the word about heavy-handed reaction/response by authorities appears to be truth. State patrol helicopters regularly circle the camp, heavy survalience in the area and people in vehicles are being stopped on the roads for no reason and hassled. The sherrif in the county where this is occurring appears to be a piece of work and a puppet for the energy company to limit media access. Some friends who went out there on Thursday reported being stopped questioned for no reason. This didn't last long when my my friend handed the state patrol officer the business card of his law firm.

It's also interesting to read about the pushbavk on this pipeline that is beginning now in Iowa. Groups of farmers who agreed to allow access for compensation instead of fighting out an eminent domain case are starting to push back.

Anyways here's a good source for updates on the happenings in Indian Country:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com
    Thank you so much for this update, jerparker. Really appreciate the close-to-the-scene view of what's going on. Please tell your co-worker "thank you" for working with AIM and to know that others like myself support the efforts. It's more than a little disheartening to hear that American Indians are still getting the shaft on their own homeland from outside their community but at the same time it is very good to hear about the solidarity of Native people in this struggle. In spirit at least, I and others stand with them.

• Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jill-stein-north-dakota-protest_us_57d07a55e4b06a74c9f264de

"A sheriff’s department in North Dakota filed charges against the U.S. Green Party presidential candidate, Jill Stein, for damaging equipment during protests on Tuesday over construction of an oil pipeline.

Stein was part of a group protesting the Dakota Access pipeline and spray-painted construction equipment, the Morton County Sheriff’s Department said. Stein does not dispute the account. The department said Stein and her running mate Ajamu Baraka was charged with criminal trespass and criminal mischief."

Hardly what I would call "damaging equipment" but right on Jill Stein. Oil companies have no place on sacred Native ground.

• Options
    http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8678fb62cc9aa4aaad18ca8d2&id=4047b36340&e=0862270622

Bernie Sanders Joins DAPL Opposition
    Designated a “Day of Action,” September 13 saw a rally of about 500 people in front of the White House that was highlighted by the appearance of former presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. “If there is one profound lesson that the Native American people have taught us, it is that all of us as human beings are part of nature,” Sanders said. “Our species will not survive if we continue to destroy nature, so today we stand united in saying, ‘Stop the pipeline, respect Native American rights, and let us move forward to transform our energy system away from fossil fuels.’”

Right on Bernie!

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    As much as im for drilling this is wrong and I side with the Native Americans...talk about the forgotten ones...the Indians
  • Options
    brianlux said:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8678fb62cc9aa4aaad18ca8d2&id=4047b36340&e=0862270622

Bernie Sanders Joins DAPL Opposition
    Designated a “Day of Action,” September 13 saw a rally of about 500 people in front of the White House that was highlighted by the appearance of former presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. “If there is one profound lesson that the Native American people have taught us, it is that all of us as human beings are part of nature,” Sanders said. “Our species will not survive if we continue to destroy nature, so today we stand united in saying, ‘Stop the pipeline, respect Native American rights, and let us move forward to transform our energy system away from fossil fuels.’”

Right on Bernie!

Right on!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    where's obama? where's hilary?
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Good question.
  • Options
    Yes, excellent question. Or Trump even. Imagine him chiming in on this issue. That'd be a hoot.

• Options

• Options
    The fight for indigenous people rights continues at Standing Rock and it's worth noting that this article makes the connection between native rights and global warming.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/10/14/standing-rock-sioux-protectors-intensify-fight-against-dakota-pipeline-construction

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    polaris_x said:

And you wonder why I've been Green Party for 3 years. Stein is the only one that gives a fuck.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    pjalive21 said:

As much as im for drilling this is wrong and I side with the Native Americans...talk about the forgotten ones...the Indians

I agree...bottom line it's their land and not for anybody to destroy of trespass on without permission, I'm all for drilling as well but breaching
    contracts and destroying burial grounds is just big oil and government over stepping their bounds.

Godfather.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    polaris_x said:

At the bank cashing their checks.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Nowhere to be found. But Bernie is sounding out:

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2016/10/bernie-sanders-dakota-access-pipeline

Bernie Sanders Just Asked President Obama to Halt the Dakota Access Pipeline
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    unsung said:

polaris_x said:

I don't see Gary Johnson or the non libertarian republicans you're being an apologist for there but that's none of Kermits business.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

polaris_x said:

I don't see Gary Johnson or the non libertarian republicans you're being an apologist for there but that's none of Kermits business.
    You're starting to bore me. They are all crooked, can I be any more clear?
  • Options
    Amy Goodman Is Facing Prison for Reporting on the Dakota Access Pipeline. That Should Scare Us All.

https://www.thenation.com/article/amy-goodman-is-facing-prison-for-reporting-on-the-dakota-access-pipeline-that-should-scare-us-all/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Massive standoff w/ police happening now. Where are our leaders?? Where are Trump and Hillary? Nowhere to be found...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=259442404452591&id=100011604996574
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    This whole thing disgusts me.

In the meantime a jury has just reached a verdict on 12/13 counts of the Malheur protestors.
    Post edited by unsung on