Options

Are you aware of what's going on? Dakota Pipeline

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Free said:

Massive standoff w/ police happening now. Where are our leaders?? Where are Trump and Hillary? Nowhere to be found...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=259442404452591&id=100011604996574

Only Jill Stein has addressed this issue fully while on the campaign.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    And that's unfortunate. People care more about stupid stuff these days.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited October 2016
    Free said:

Massive standoff w/ police happening now. Where are our leaders?? Where are Trump and Hillary? Nowhere to be found...

Yes, if either of them had any balls they would talk about this and pick a side. That isn't a very realistic expectation though. They are trying to win an election right now, and they aren't going to do anything that they think will hurt their chances, and with this issue, I don't think they'd even know which side would hurt their chances. I think it's a lot more relevant to ask where in the fuck Obama is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Yes, if either of them had any balls they would talk about this and pick a side. That isn't a very realistic expectation though. They are trying to win an election right now, and they aren't going to do anything that they think will hurt their chances, and with this issue, I don't think they'd even know which side would hurt their chances. I think it's a lot more relevant to ask where in the fuck Obama is.
    They don't care. They care about phony votes and following the money.
  • Options
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

They don't care. They care about phony votes and following the money.
    They care about winning the election.
    That's why I'm wondering where in the hell Obama is. I actually expect better from him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Campaigning for Hillary.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Campaigning for Hillary.
    Well yeah, but that doesn't exclude him from addressing this matter. I'm sure you're saying this tongue in cheek, but it did occur to me that he might not be saying anything because people will assume that whatever his take on it is will be what Hillary's take would be, or would force her to speak to the issue.... But I am not assuming that is what's happening. I am actually fairly surprised that Obama hasn't said anything about this one yet. I guess he'll be forced to if it gets any more out of control, and I hope it does.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Campaigning for Hillary.
    ...And that takes precedence.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Campaigning for Hillary.
    Well yeah, but that doesn't exclude him from addressing this matter. I'm sure you're saying this tongue in cheek, but it did occur to me that he might not be saying anything because people will assume that whatever his take on it is will be what Hillary's take would be, or would force her to speak to the issue.... But I am not assuming that is what's happening. I am actually fairly surprised that Obama hasn't said anything about this one yet. I guess he'll be forced to if it gets any more out of control, and I hope it does.
    If a black person was the victim Barry would have gone there in person but he doesn't give a shit about any of this
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Sadly there's nothing new about this. Looking back at history, past and present, the "Great Father" always distanced themselves from Native issue, affairs and conflict. Sometimes the Great Father entertained Native Americans like when Sitting Bull thought the treaty of 1868 was valid and he accepted an invitation to the White House by Grant. The treat was broken of course and later on Sitting Bull was murdered by police.

Then there was Chief Joseph who by process of elimination (due to more dead Indians) became leader of a band of Nez Perce, and was chased around a big chunk of the country by the cavalry until he and his people became exhausted had their number thinned along the way and then were sent off on dismal train rides from one shitty reservation to another. After caught, Joseph somehow managed a meeting with President Hayes only to get sent back down the tracks in hellish conditions, finally to waste away in exile not all that far from his homeland which he so desperately wanted to see again.

And later in the 70's, dealing with the Red Power movement activities of groups like AIM were generally left to bureaucrats, military and police.

Same thing today. Nothings changed.

But did I mention about Jill Stein...?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

Thousands of Wild Buffalo Appear Out of Nowhere at Standing Rock (VIDEO)

http://usuncut.com/resistance/thousands-wild-buffalo-appear-nowhere-standing-rock/
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

Sadly there's nothing new about this. Looking back at history, past and present, the "Great Father" always distanced themselves from Native issue, affairs and conflict. Sometimes the Great Father entertained Native Americans like when Sitting Bull thought the treaty of 1868 was valid and he accepted an invitation to the White House by Grant. The treat was broken of course and later on Sitting Bull was murdered by police.

Then there was Chief Joseph who by process of elimination (due to more dead Indians) became leader of a band of Nez Perce, and was chased around a big chunk of the country by the cavalry until he and his people became exhausted had their number thinned along the way and then were sent off on dismal train rides from one shitty reservation to another. After caught, Joseph somehow managed a meeting with President Hayes only to get sent back down the tracks in hellish conditions, finally to waste away in exile not all that far from his homeland which he so desperately wanted to see again.

And later in the 70's, dealing with the Red Power movement activities of groups like AIM were generally left to bureaucrats, military and police.

Same thing today. Nothings changed.

But did I mention about Jill Stein...?
    Jill Stein should find a different job IMO. She could do more good elsewhere. She is not an effective political leader.
  • Options
    Free said:

http://usuncut.com/resistance/thousands-wild-buffalo-appear-nowhere-standing-rock/

Fantastic!

The animals know. Years ago when a Sea Shepherd ship and crew were investigating illegal fishing operations in eastern Russia a Russian naval ship tried to ram the Sea Shepherd ship but was prevented from doing so by a whale that came between the two vessels. The whale was unharmed and the Sea Shepherd crew escaped.

The animals know.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know. Years ago when a Sea Shepherd ship and crew were investigating illegal fishing operations in eastern Russia a Russian naval ship tried to ram the Sea Shepherd ship but was prevented from doing so by a whale that came between the two vessels. The whale was unharmed and the Sea Shepherd crew escaped.

The animals know.
    They really do. :)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know.
    No, they don't. They're ruminants, herd animals, and they're moving around over their range. I really don't think they're watching the news or getting tweets on their phones. The roaming charges alone would be atrocious.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know.
    No, they don't. They're ruminants, herd animals, and they're moving around over their range. I really don't think they're watching the news or getting tweets on their phones. The roaming charges alone would be atrocious.
    :weary:
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know.
    :weary:
    Don't fall for it free.
    Back away and vote Hillary.
  • Options
    The UN hears us, but where are our leaders ( besides Jill Stein ).
  • Options

Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know.
    I know this may sound far fetched, but I really truly honest to god (Buddha, Jesus, Mohamed, or "Other Divine Being") believe they do. If you read the account of the whale that saved the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society ship and crew you might believe it too. I'll try to find it and post it.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know.
    I know this may sound far fetched, but I really truly honest to god (Buddha, Jesus, Mohamed, or "Other Divine Being") believe they do. If you read the account of the whale that saved the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society ship and crew you might believe it too. I'll try to find it and post it.
    Whales are damn smart, Bison...not as smart lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2016
    brianlux said:

BLux - you've just posted two pics in a row that have serious words.
    Usually you use your words.
    Everything ok?
    Are the pics you just posted with words on them a cause that you are 100% for?
  • Options

brianlux said:

BLux - you've just posted two pics in a row that have serious words.
    Usually you use your words.
    Everything ok?
    Are the pics you just posted with words on them a cause that you are 100% for?
    A pictures worth a thousand words so a picture plus words must be worth...

ah dang it, I suck at math.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:

Free said:

brianlux said:

Free said:

Fantastic!

The animals know.
    I am definitely willing to consider that cetaceans would come close enough to investigate. They are intelligent and social animals, and there are other reports of cetaceans socializing with humans and even "rescuing" them. I don't for a minute believe that they know the difference between the SSCS and a Russian ship. Why would they?

And bison? Glorified cows, acting exactly as a herd of ruminants does.

I have enormous respect for pretty much any animal in the natural world, but that respect means recognizing it as purely itself in its niche, and not anthropomorphizing it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Fear enough, but that is obviously not what the faithful Natives believe, apparently. They trust in their connection with nature and animals, and their connection with buffalo and the symbolism of them is very real to them. From what I know, they quite likely think that they are connected enough so that the bison did appear for a reason, as symbolic protectors. The appearance of that herd seems to have been very meaningful to them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    OK, found it. Watson and crew went to Siberia in the Sea Shepherd II to document illegal whaling there. They were being chased by the Russian Navy who obviously wanted to do them great harm. And then... (from Watson book Ocean Warrior, pp81-82)...

"...suddenly, without warning, the space between the two ships erupted in a shower of water. It obscured out view of the Russian ship for a moment and then the mist disappeared in rainbow-tinted droplets. My crew continued to cheer wildly. The Soviets looked surprised.

A large California grey whale had surfaced between the two ships and spouted. It remained for a few moments then dove beneath the surface. The space between the two boats opened as the Soviets turned to starboard and Marc instinctively turned to port.

A whale! A glorious, beloved, wonderful whale! Like a hand coming up from the sea between us and the Russians. I shuddered. Damn! Nobody who experienced this moment [Watson is referring to a very sea-worthy crew who are very familiar with marine life] could help but feel that something mystical had taken place, something beyond the pale of anything we had a rational hope of expecting.

Years before, a man who knew more about whales than I ever will told me that if I could ever get my act together enough to get out to sea and go to the aid of the whales, I could depend on whales for help. "The whales will come to you when you need them, Paul Sprong had promised. "You can trust them to be there." ...

Eric raced to the bridge. "Christ, did you see that" It was incredible.

I didn't answer.

The Russians were falling behind.

Animals know more than we give them credit for.