Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    JK_Livin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    On another note,  DMB Red Rocks remastered by Chris Bellman sounds fantastic.  All of the Live Trax are great but this is another level.  Hard to get now but it will come in black soon.  Highly recommended. 
    Up for preorder now on DMB's site.
    Yeah I ordered it again...  It says "Warehouse Exclusive".. do you think that means the record or the pre-order?  
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    mrussel1 said:
    reesdog said:
    I do! Glad to revive this thread. An album I highly consider as not just a classic rock album, but also one to see what your system can do..... Definitely recommend Steely Dan Aja, but in the AB-1006.. not the AA version. This is the true original first run and an absolute gem. It's what audiophiles use to show off their system, due to the gorgeous texturing and layering of the music throughout the album. There's also a Kevin Gray version, a Simply Vinyl, Cisco, and lots of other ones. But the one to have, IMO..and I went through several, is the original AB-1006.
    I have to appreciate your suggestion, as yes, that album is known in audiophile circles as a great test record for a sound system, but Steely Dan really don't do it for me sorry. Not enough edge or agression for my tastes these days. Now have you heard the band Wire? That's my kinda stuff. But hey, each to their own and all that and any suggestions are always welcome..
    That's funny... I'm going more mellow these days. Getting old I guess. I enjoy jazz on vinyl.
    Yeah I've tried to get into jazz, brought a couple of the classics on vinyl, so far I'm struggling with that genre, but I'll keep trying and hopefully get it one of these day. UK Post-punk on the other hand or anything by Talking Heads, can't get enough of that shit!
    For me it's just mood.   I assume you have Blue Train and Kind of Blue?  Those are two of my best sounding records.  Not cheap but gorgeous.  
    I have Miles Davis - Around Midnight and Coltrane's - A Love Supreme, both great records, but Jazz, hmmm I'm trying. Just I'm on such a early eighties/late seventies fix of anything weird/catchy/punky of late. Jazz might come to me later I suspect..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited May 2017
    reesdog said:
    mrussel1 said:
    reesdog said:
    I do! Glad to revive this thread. An album I highly consider as not just a classic rock album, but also one to see what your system can do..... Definitely recommend Steely Dan Aja, but in the AB-1006.. not the AA version. This is the true original first run and an absolute gem. It's what audiophiles use to show off their system, due to the gorgeous texturing and layering of the music throughout the album. There's also a Kevin Gray version, a Simply Vinyl, Cisco, and lots of other ones. But the one to have, IMO..and I went through several, is the original AB-1006.
    I have to appreciate your suggestion, as yes, that album is known in audiophile circles as a great test record for a sound system, but Steely Dan really don't do it for me sorry. Not enough edge or agression for my tastes these days. Now have you heard the band Wire? That's my kinda stuff. But hey, each to their own and all that and any suggestions are always welcome..
    That's funny... I'm going more mellow these days. Getting old I guess. I enjoy jazz on vinyl.
    Yeah I've tried to get into jazz, brought a couple of the classics on vinyl, so far I'm struggling with that genre, but I'll keep trying and hopefully get it one of these day. UK Post-punk on the other hand or anything by Talking Heads, can't get enough of that shit!
    For me it's just mood.   I assume you have Blue Train and Kind of Blue?  Those are two of my best sounding records.  Not cheap but gorgeous.  
    I have Miles Davis - Around Midnight and Coltrane's - A Love Supreme, both great records, but Jazz, hmmm I'm trying. Just I'm on such a early eighties/late seventies fix of anything weird/catchy/punky of late. Jazz might come to me later I suspect..
    I have also explored the jazz genre, and I discovered that I only like "dirty" jazz, i.e. a Bitches Brew kind of sound. Turns out I don't really go for the smoother jazz (i.e. a Kind of Blue sound). It just isn't very interesting for me. It's gotta be ugly as fuck, and then I'm all over it, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    reesdog said:
    mrussel1 said:
    reesdog said:
    I have also explored the jazz genre, and I discovered that I only like "dirty" jazz, i.e. a Bitches Brew kind of sound. Turns out I don't really go for the smoother jazz (i.e. a Kind of Blue sound). It just isn't very interesting for me. It's gotta be ugly as fuck, and then I'm all over it, lol.
    Well that's definitely a classic jazz album too!  
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    On another note,  DMB Red Rocks remastered by Chris Bellman sounds fantastic.  All of the Live Trax are great but this is another level.  Hard to get now but it will come in black soon.  Highly recommended. 
    Yeah I ordered it again...  It says "Warehouse Exclusive".. do you think that means the record or the pre-order?  
    The pre-order.  I think this may be released wider than just the Warehouse.
  • Options
    kramer73 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The pre-order.  I think this may be released wider than just the Warehouse.
    It is.. It's on Bull Moose now.  I guess the good news is that the Warehouse is releasing it a month before the overall release.  Warehouse says shipped on or before May 27.  The Bull Moose says like June 27th.  
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I just listened to Van Morrison's Moondance olive label. Sweet pixie dust sprinkled on that one I tell ya!!!!
  • Options
    lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    This record is perfect... sound and pitch..,, amazing

• Options

Yep and his last record Black Star sounded absolutely top-notch too..
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Most of the Bowie pressings are very good to my knowledge..
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    reesdog said:

I was surprised and disappointed to find that I actually can't stand Next Day. It's the only Bowie album I've ever not liked at all. I bought it because the title song is GREAT. That is all I'd heard from the album and assumed the rest of the album would be great too, since up until then, all of his albums were great IMO. Sadly for me, I felt that Next Day was the only song on the whole album that I could tolerate. I found the rest of it literally unlistenable, and I ended up trading the album in at the record store. :frowning: But Black Star is indeed fantastic!! 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    reesdog said:

I was surprised and disappointed to find that I actually can't stand Next Day. It's the only Bowie album I've ever not liked at all. I bought it because the title song is GREAT. That is all I'd heard from the album and assumed the rest of the album would be great too, since up until then, all of his albums were great IMO. Sadly for me, I felt that Next Day was the only song on the whole album that I could tolerate. I found the rest of it literally unlistenable, and I ended up trading the album in at the record store. :frowning: But Black Star is indeed fantastic!! 
    Not 100% sure, but I think the OP was more referring to the quality of the pressing than the actual music PJ_Soul. But agreed, Black Star is a much better album than The Next Day..
  • Options
    reesdog said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    reesdog said:

Not 100% sure, but I think the OP was more referring to the quality of the pressing than the actual music PJ_Soul. But agreed, Black Star is a much better album than The Next Day..
    Oh, yes, I know it's the best sounding thread... I was just sayin', lol. I honestly don't remember how good the sound quality was because I was too distracted by how awful the music was, haha, but I know for sure I at least didn't think the sound quality was bad. ;)
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    Got a new record yesterday, and I LOVE the sound of it: Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song. One of the best I have!
  • Options
    lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    Blackstar is also a perfect record and include the No Plan RSD 2017 12 Inch pressing as well.
    reesdog said:

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited July 2017
    Sounds Of The South original 1st pressing. KENDUN mastering.
    If you like this album, this is the best followed by the Analogue Productions remaster.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,729
    MedozK said:
    If you like this album, this is the best followed by the Analogue Productions remaster.
    I was just thinking how absolutely stellar all of the Analogue Productions LP's I have or have heard are.  They do it right!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    I was just thinking how absolutely stellar all of the Analogue Productions LP's I have or have heard are.  They do it right!
    Yea, I'm a big AP fan, you just gotta pay a little more for that nice cut and pressing though.
  • Options

This is US original pressing and it sounds absolutely on point if you can find one in decent condition. Most I have stumbled across have been in the poor/rough category, found this one in NM condition and its a real treasure.
  • Options
    With all this talk of the QOTSA and their new release, I pulled out my 45 cut of Like Clockwork, absolutely stunning....
  • Options
    With all this talk of the QOTSA and their new release, I pulled out my 45 cut of Like Clockwork, absolutely stunning....
    Nice, the deluxe edition? That one sounds particularly good..
  • Options
    reesdog said:
    Black Friday version 
  • Options
    reesdog said:
    Black Friday version 
    Nice! They're selling one of those in my local for NZ$99, very tempting but already have two versions of it..
  • Options

This 2 LP Record is superb with sound... recommended 
  • Options

These reissues are done really well, nearly have all Lanegan's stuff on vinyl now, its that good. But, of course makes a difference if the pressings are done right and these certainly are..
  • Options
    Glad this thread is back!  
    Crows,  August... 45 rpm analog productions.  Expensive,  but perfect sounding

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Glad this thread is back!  
    Crows,  August... 45 rpm analog productions.  Expensive,  but perfect sounding

How much if you don't mind me asking? 
  • Options
    I think it was 55 or 60 list price,  new.  There's a 33 version in print that is supposed to be nice but I don't know if it's pure analog like this one. Here's the listing... read the reviews. https://www.discogs.com/Counting-Crows-August-And-Everything-After/release/3963109

It actually challenges my Clotrane Blue Train mono... which is a very high bar. 
  • Options
    This is my favorite thread - sort combines the what’s on my turn table and what new vinyl did I pick up...
  • Options
    For those that have this album in your collection. This is by far the best I have ever heard it sound. Now I have not heard an original 6 eye to compare it to, but this 2 x 12" 45RPM wows, I promise.