Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Music on Vinyl release of Lost Highway Soundtrack sounds phenomenal.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769
    edited November 2016

lolobugg said:

My local has used copy of the In Rainbows box $125 USD, should I?

sounds a bit steep. I think I paid $75 used for mine.
    I was going to say I would give him a crisp benjamin
    Payed $150 Canadian for mine and was worth it for me sounds amazing!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

The Music on Vinyl release of Lost Highway Soundtrack sounds phenomenal.

Thanks, good to know Dr. Delight, wouldn't mind getting that reissue myself..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    A little pricey, but well worth it....... Music Matters John Coltrane - Blue Train - mono

Absolutely fantastic!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

A little pricey, but well worth it....... Music Matters John Coltrane - Blue Train - mono

Absolutely fantastic!

Yes, that will be my next purchase. If you don't mind me asking how much was it and where did you get it.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Absolutely fantastic!

Yes, that will be my next purchase. If you don't mind me asking how much was it and where did you get it.
    Sure, no problem! Elusive Disc $59.99 plus shipping. They do a great job! I'm sure you have used them before?
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,665

MedozK said:

Absolutely fantastic!

Sure, no problem! Elusive Disc $59.99 plus shipping. They do a great job! I'm sure you have used them before?
    How funny. I sent this to my wife to buy me for Christmas. We're all kinda on the same ride...

Here's the link I gave to my wife. It's directly from Music Matters. Plus you can pay an extra 25 bills and get the blue copy, if 60 bucks isn't enough for a record: http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/category_s/92.htm

And here's a detailed review that will make you very excited to buy it. http://robertmusic.blogspot.com/2013/12/music-matter-blue-note-33-rpm-series.html
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

Absolutely fantastic!

How funny. I sent this to my wife to buy me for Christmas. We're all kinda on the same ride...

Here's the link I gave to my wife. It's directly from Music Matters. Plus you can pay an extra 25 bills and get the blue copy, if 60 bucks isn't enough for a record: http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/category_s/92.htm

And here's a detailed review that will make you very excited to buy it. http://robertmusic.blogspot.com/2013/12/music-matter-blue-note-33-rpm-series.html
    Thanks mrussel1! Great review! This is by far the best copy of Blue Train, that I own. I will be purchasing more from Music Matters.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Fantastic sounding record, very well recorded, so in your face! Recommended..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Category number: SP1100
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    reesdog said:

Fantastic sounding record, very well recorded, so in your face! Recommended..
    Category number: SP1100

agreed. great sounding record!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Is there a better sounding record from these guys than this?! I don't think so...
    Catalogue number: 494590 1.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2017
    reesdog said:

Is there a better sounding record from these guys than this?! I don't think so...

Yea, its their best. I think. I want an EU version like yours.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

Yeah, it's a good version, I got this sent to me from some guy in Russia here to NZ about 4-5 years ago, paid a good price, but it's gone up even more in value.. I'll never sell it.

• Options
    Couple of records I'd put in the 'sounding very good' category...

Great job done here on this US version that came out last year..
  • Options

Euro version that came out last year also, sounds perfect..
  • Options
    Anyone else have any suggestions on great sounding vinyl or ones to avoid?
  • Options
    I do! Glad to revive this thread.

An album I highly consider as not just a classic rock album, but also one to see what your system can do..... Definitely recommend Steely Dan Aja, but in the AB-1006.. not the AA version. This is the true original first run and an absolute gem. It's what audiophiles use to show off their system, due to the gorgeous texturing and layering of the music throughout the album. There's also a Kevin Gray version, a Simply Vinyl, Cisco, and lots of other ones. But the one to have, IMO..and I went through several, is the original AB-1006.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769
    mrussel1 said:

An album I highly consider as not just a classic rock album, but also one to see what your system can do..... Definitely recommend Steely Dan Aja, but in the AB-1006.. not the AA version. This is the true original first run and an absolute gem. It's what audiophiles use to show off their system, due to the gorgeous texturing and layering of the music throughout the album. There's also a Kevin Gray version, a Simply Vinyl, Cisco, and lots of other ones. But the one to have, IMO..and I went through several, is the original AB-1006.

I have a MOFI pressing and it's the tits!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    A few of my best sounding on wax are

Boozoo bajou- satta (a German duo more known in Europe and this album is pricey)
    Garcia & Grisman - self titled mofi SL
    Parliament- mothership connection 1975
    Doors- the doors monarch pressed brown elektra label 1967
    Austra- feel it break 2011

I don't have tons on regular rotation but when I pull a random and it sounds just so much better than others I try to remember it.

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I have to appreciate your suggestion, as yes, that album is known in audiophile circles as a great test record for a sound system, but Steely Dan really don't do it for me sorry. Not enough edge or agression for my tastes these days. Now have you heard the band Wire? That's my kinda stuff.

But hey, each to their own and all that and any suggestions are always welcome..
  • Options
    reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

I have to appreciate your suggestion, as yes, that album is known in audiophile circles as a great test record for a sound system, but Steely Dan really don't do it for me sorry. Not enough edge or agression for my tastes these days. Now have you heard the band Wire? That's my kinda stuff.

But hey, each to their own and all that and any suggestions are always welcome..
    That's funny... I'm going more mellow these days. Getting old I guess. I enjoy jazz on vinyl.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I have this version of Aja. It's the only Steely Dan album I own. I'm not a huge fan of Steely Dan, by any means, but this album sounds fantastic! I believe I paid $5 for it. The vinyl is in near perfect condition. Great recommendation mrussel1!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

That's funny... I'm going more mellow these days. Getting old I guess. I enjoy jazz on vinyl.
    Yeah I've tried to get into jazz, brought a couple of the classics on vinyl, so far I'm struggling with that genre, but I'll keep trying and hopefully get it one of these day. UK Post-punk on the other hand or anything by Talking Heads, can't get enough of that shit!
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference/preference between the EU and US? Mine has the sticker on it as pictured above as well, is this how you instantly know it is EU?
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    reesdog said:
    I do! Glad to revive this thread. An album I highly consider as not just a classic rock album, but also one to see what your system can do..... Definitely recommend Steely Dan Aja, but in the AB-1006.. not the AA version. This is the true original first run and an absolute gem. It's what audiophiles use to show off their system, due to the gorgeous texturing and layering of the music throughout the album. There's also a Kevin Gray version, a Simply Vinyl, Cisco, and lots of other ones. But the one to have, IMO..and I went through several, is the original AB-1006.
    I have to appreciate your suggestion, as yes, that album is known in audiophile circles as a great test record for a sound system, but Steely Dan really don't do it for me sorry. Not enough edge or agression for my tastes these days. Now have you heard the band Wire? That's my kinda stuff. But hey, each to their own and all that and any suggestions are always welcome..
    Yeah I've tried to get into jazz, brought a couple of the classics on vinyl, so far I'm struggling with that genre, but I'll keep trying and hopefully get it one of these day. UK Post-punk on the other hand or anything by Talking Heads, can't get enough of that shit!
    For me it's just mood.   I assume you have Blue Train and Kind of Blue?  Those are two of my best sounding records.  Not cheap but gorgeous.  
  • Options
    On another note,  DMB Red Rocks remastered by Chris Bellman sounds fantastic.  All of the Live Trax are great but this is another level.  Hard to get now but it will come in black soon.  Highly recommended. 
  • Options
    pjpitt89 said:
    Is there a better sounding record from these guys than this?! I don't think so... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Catalogue number: 494590 1.
    Can someone enlighten me as to the difference/preference between the EU and US? Mine has the sticker on it as pictured above as well, is this how you instantly know it is EU?
    Good question, but I'm not sure sorry, I only have the EU version. Sounds really great though if thats the one you're after..
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    mrussel1 said:
    On another note,  DMB Red Rocks remastered by Chris Bellman sounds fantastic.  All of the Live Trax are great but this is another level.  Hard to get now but it will come in black soon.  Highly recommended. 
    Up for preorder now on DMB's site.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer