Options

*** MSG 1 Fanviews Here 6/24/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I was the relayer for the show last night, and my god what a fantastic show the guys put on. I got my tickets, section 111, side of the stage on Mikes side, about 12 rows back from the stage. For my 359XXX number, these seats were probably the best I've had. I could see the band very clearly, and was even offered to trade by a guy who was middle floor with a 178XXX number, (which made me feel kinda good about my tickets for once!)

Ted Leo was done by 8, giving the impression that the band would come on a little early. The crowd was a little late arriving, but by 8:40 when the show started, seats were full. HTI was great to hear again, the crowd was into it. Before All Night, Ed announced that after some tentative arguments with the folks in NY, they got the curfew pushed back, and then some guys who have gone on the road with them came out and sang backup on All Night which was sweet. During the start of Corduroy, the Garden WAS Bouncing, you could feel the sway up and down. AMAZING!

Faithful was a great treat, as was Down. I think nearly everyone in the building was jumping up and down during GTF. Whipping was played to perfection, and 1/2 Full was on point, although during the jam at the end the amps cut out for about a second which got everyone a little nervous.

The encores just blew me away. LROM, W.M.A, STBC, Miracles, Watchtower...the band just nailed all of these songs...and, the crowd was singing along with every word. I'd certainly say that this show rivaled the crowd of Philly 05, and I don't know if I can pick which one was better, but the energy in the building was something I had never felt.

On a more personal note, I brought my dad to the show for his first time seeing PJ. He was absolutely floored. On the way out, he said to me "You know, I never really understood where you were coming from when you talked about this band...and now I absolutely do."

I can only hope that tonight brings on a show that is equal if not better. Thank you to PJ for a memorable night, and we'll see you at the show tonight!

Thank you so much for the relay last night! :D
    I'm glad you had a great time at the show and I hope tonight is not different!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    In all my years MSG 1 had the best crowd I have ever seen in this entire area.
    Especially the first 10 songs or so. Wow. Last time they were there the stage and ground shook late in the show, this time the ground shook starting at song 2.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    This was my 12th show, and while I thought it was a good one...it didn't feel like anything special to me.

I've always said seat location doesn't matter to me, but thats really the only thing I can think of as to why I didn't enjoy it more.

I was row 30 on the floor, or 4th row after the break in the floor. And I would say these were the 3rd furthest back I've been.

Maybe I'm just getting old...I dunno (I'm only 27) but once the 2nd encore started I was dead. I still rocked my ass off, and I did so the whole night, but I dunno I just wasn't feeling it.

It was cool hearing songs I haven't heard live yet, but yeah, I guess it being my first show since San Fran III in '06 and the awsomeness of being in the pit only about 5-6 people deep is hard to live up too?
    I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with this; got tired quickly and my seats keep getting worse each show I go to even though I've been a member for over 10 years. I understand it's MSG and I liked these seats better than Camden. I thought the crowd was great and loud, but there weren't any surprises and the set was too similar to Camden I (the only other show I have seen so far). They opened each set with the same song. Did I mention, No More sucks.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Fucking Amazing. It's all i can say right now. BRILLIANT.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Great Fucking Show!!!

:D
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    This setlist looks the most average so far of the tour
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Hopefully they will mix the set list up tonight.

I can't stand hearing Ed bitch about the war....... I appreciate his ability to have his own views... but come up with something new.

I love this band, and because of that i fell as if i have the ability to critique now come on boys... tonight open with something new.... Ed, change your shirt, play Comeback damn it, and for the love of god.... please please please open with Long Road......
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    over_bends wrote:
    Everyone needs to stop what they are doing and watch this. The camera work needs well... work but I tried my best to keep my hands steady, although I think it came out just fine. Anyway, chills will run down your spine. This is a performance for the ages. Mark it down. LROM - MSG/08... classic. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7PuHTqiGTw

Chill is right. Pat yourself on the back because i think you did a pretty good job with the camera. Thanks for letting me relive that again. Was i the only one who almost "CAME", after they played LROM?>LOL!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    good show last night. was in the last row on the floor before the incline, so sightlines were an issue for my 5'5'' friend. :) that said, great crowd, and pearl jam did something tonight to live up to their name, and that is JAM. i came away with the memories of the guys jamming more than i can remember, which certainly extended the show, but provided enough room for improvisation. this was my first show of the year, so i'm comparing it to other years and not against the other shows so far.

looking forward to 3 more, but like 3IC said, i'd love to see a little more variety with opening/closing songs. very jealous of those hitting tonight's show...i have a feeling it will be epic.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Hail Hail Madison Square Garden... The Worlds Greatest Arena hosted the Worlds Greatest Rock Band last nite and they tore it up!!!

i think PJ OWNS the Garden... Some of their best shows have been in that building and last nite was no exception!!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    Sad2113Sad2113 Posts: 35
    So..yes it was a sick show..1 of my top by far ( and I have been to about 20)
    I was expecting F**n up or Rockin' in the free world after..did anyone feel the same? Cannot wait for 8:40PM tonight for round 2!!!
  • Options
    My second PJ show, first being MSG1 In July '03. I'm inclined to say that this was the better show - the crowd was definitely more into it, and I prefered this set list. All in all, a wonderful, spiritual, inspiring experience. And it confirms why PJ are one of the greatest bands to ever walk the earth.

Cheers to everyone else who made it out for this amazing event. It was more than just a performance. It was history.
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    Being my first show of '08, I loved the setlist. Heard lots of tunes I've either never heard or haven't heard in ages. But the setlist can never do this show justice. You had to be there to feel this place bouncing. It was incredible.
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    BarackStar wrote:
    I'm not new to this board...Used to write under a different name many moons ago, and then, well, then kind of ran out of things to say. I recently, rejoined, as it appeared that we all had more to say - and as this tour went on I was anxious to join in the conversation.

I should let you know before we get any further, that I have been to some of the pantheon shows in the history of this band...9/28/96 and 9/29/96 (the gold standard), 9/11/98, The No Code show from Jones Beach III (as well as the other two and 12 other that tour, MSG's 03, The Gorge's 05' and '06, Vote for Change...all told about, and I mean exactly, 51 shows by my last count.

Tonight, tonight was different that all that came before. Every fan of this band was looking forward to these shows at MSG, and it turns out, the band knew it. I remember the second night in '03 when Ed made reference to like 7,000 fan club night 1, and 9,000 or something night II. Make no mistake about it, this band knows what MSG means to us, and the great thing is, we know what MSG means to this band.

This was my 4th show of this tour (Camden's and DC) and while unreal...tonight was, it was just on another level. Tonight was a night were it felt like the whole building knew the words to Down...We're 20,000 people sang along to Faithfull. If you were milling around the garden before these shows tonight, you know how hard people were trying to get tickets. You would've thought they were playing Irving Plaza with the amount of die-hard fans scratching and clawing there way into the garden. It was unlike anything I have ever seen.

I'll write more the show after I come down and digest. But, I really, REALLY, must stress the "vibe" tonight. It was the Vic with 20,000 people...I have never seen an audience react to a band like that...Springsteen in Jersey, you name it - nothing touched that crowd tonight. I love boots, and I have more than I can listen too - but if you want a boot that sounds like life depends on enjoying the next song...well, this is the show for you.

Kudos to New York, kudos to all you lucky ones who came from and wide...and most importantly, kudos to this band - who despite years, despite fan apathy for their greatest hits, despite our age and our inability to rock like we did in '92...god bless, their ability, their desire, their newfound acceptance of their iconic status, their joy in knowing our joy, and, shit, why not, their ability to never cease to amaze and grow (and by grow I mean back-up singers...and CJ Ramone).

Just, unreal, unreal in every sense of the word.

MSG tonight rocked unlike anything I've ever seen - until tomorrow :-). I hope, I pray, and - the best part - I know.

WOW just got chills just from reading this...
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    better enjoy avery while u can, he is a goner! he declined to even talk to the rangers before july 1st, so he will test the market, and it looks like the blue shirts don't want to poney up the dough for him.

pretty cool story none the less.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    This setlist looks the most average so far of the tour

Yeah, sorry you couldn't be there...
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    Stupidly posted thoughts in 'unofficial' thread in my excitement last night, so...

Had such a good time! The energy of the band amazed me and I thought the sound was great. The guys around me (section 410!) were so energetic and enthusiastic too, and that was great and really infectious. Who you end up standing next to can really make a difference to the experience, I think - and luckily this was positive!

Song I was most happy to hear: Present Tense. I had been really hoping for it.

Favourite moment I think was when Ed reflected spotlight off his guitar all round the different sections of the audience and you saw everyone's hands going up.

All so worth the 3500 mile trip! Can't wait to do it all again tonight - this time with my Ten Club tickets :-)
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210

I can't stand hearing Ed bitch about the war....... I appreciate his ability to have his own views... but come up with something new.
    As the mom of a 12 yr old boy and was a preteen myself when Vietnam ended, I am afraid they will bring back the draft soon if we are not vigilant and my kid ain't no fortunate one. So I get what he's saying. That said, as an ex NYCer it is so cool you all felt the bounce. Sounds like a good show/hope you get an even better show tonight.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,690
    Can anyone else confirm that Pete Townshend was in attendence last night? If so...maybe tonight's show will have a very "special guest"
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Sometimes, when more profound words fail, it's good to have these to fall back on: holy shit.

From the pristine beauty of Present Tense, to the bright intensity of Given to Fly, to the slamming power of Comatose... this evening had it all.

And we get to do it again tomorrow.

And so I repeat: holy shit.

beautifully said!
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i better get my voice back bu tonight
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i better get my voice back bu tonight

amen to that. I knew my vocal chords would be shattered the first night but I don't care!!! where were you last night? were you at the pre-party fundraiser?

I cannot wait for tonight. The fact that floor was shaking 3 songs in has me bouncing with anticipation. Aside from the pre-party fundraiser with No Code, last night...the first note of Hard to Imagine was the first Pearl Jam I've heard in 2 weeks....my own, self imposed moratorium The waiting was killing me.....and the boys didn't disappoint...AT ALL. As a few here have said....HOLY SHIT!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Good show..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    rxtasy wrote:
    Man oh man..what a freakin show! What a CROWD! Simply awesome. Thanks Ten Club for the excellent seats! Thanks to band for puttin on an epic show! Thanks to NYC...the best!

I went to WPB and although the band was great the crowd sucked royal. Tonight made up for it and them some! I mean the cement floor was shaking on at least 4-5 songs! Everyone is just sooo cool in NYC. I didnt see anyone leave at the end of the show...they just cheering and cheering! You can just see how in awe the band is by the folks that are here in NYC and that flock to this mecca have this experience.

I really am speechless. I am very fortunate and I can't wait till tomorrow.
    I WISH I WAS AS FORTUNATE, AS FORTUNATE AS YOU...
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    I think the roar from the audience when they came on for the 2nd encore deafened me. seriously, i cannot hear well from my left ear.

shit.

review later.
    my signature.
  • Options
    2003/04/28 - The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
    2004/10/01 - Sovereign Center - Reading, PA
    2005/09/01 - The Gorge - George, WA
    2006/05/28 - Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ
    2008/06/18 - Susquehanna Center - Camden, NJ
    2008/06/24 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
  • Options
    b-siderb-sider Posts: 23
    awesome show. we were somewhere in the 400's on mike's side of the stage, hopped over the rail and climbed into the 300's sometime around 'why go' and just rocked out like hell...my neck is completely f'ed up.

also, question, did w.m.a. sound like a wonderwall cover at first? maybe i just heard it that way cus i was learning wonderwall on guitar last week...
    He's alive but feels absolutely nothing. So is he?
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RFOMwwFDc - WATCHTOWER

Great shots of the crowd here. I was just having fun with this one. :D
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    slug420slug420 Posts: 316
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Oh and, if we didn't know that they were planning another record, I would totally say that this was their farewell tour. As sad as that is to think about, it really has that kind of vibe about it, ESPECIALLY with these MSG shows.

We do know that they are planning another record?

Someone who went to bonaroo was telling me they heard a rumor that this was a final tour and eddie was going solo after this. I think that rumor is BS for a number of reasons..if they are working on a new album that kind of seals the deal.
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    b-sider wrote:
    awesome show. we were somewhere in the 400's on mike's side of the stage, hopped over the rail and climbed into the 300's sometime around 'why go' and just rocked out like hell...my neck is completely f'ed up.

also, question, did w.m.a. sound like a wonderwall cover at first? maybe i just heard it that way cus i was learning wonderwall on guitar last week...

Yes, good call on Wonderwall. I was thinking the same thing. I hadn't heard the new WMA, so it caught me completely off guard. One of the highlights of the show for me. I need to hear it again to hear the re-worked version in more detail, while not just screaming along like a maniac.

As for the show overall, not much more to be added, since there are some great reviews in this thread. It was my 19th show, and I'd say it was one of the best, probably top 5. I'm not sure that it immediately goes up there with the pantheon of shows, as some are indicating. A lot depends on personal experience. For me, it might be #3 behind Borgata 1 and Irving Plaza, which would make it my top large arena show. We're all still on a high, though. We'll see how it hold up over time. It was probably the best crowd I've been a part of.

One thing's for sure - when we all went into work today, it's hard to explain it to co-workers who asked how the show was. How can you put into words the energy of last night's show? How can you explain what it was like to hear WMA, Who You Are, and LROM for the 1st time?