Options

*** MSG 1 Fanviews Here 6/24/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    slug420 wrote:
    We do know that they are planning another record?

Someone who went to bonaroo was telling me they heard a rumor that this was a final tour and eddie was going solo after this. I think that rumor is BS for a number of reasons..if they are working on a new album that kind of seals the deal.

Don't these rumors pop up EVERY tour? Haven't they been in the studio this year? The crowds keep getting better and better, I don't see why they would hang it up, unless they just want to go out on a strong note. But I would imagine that there will at least be 1 more record and full tour.
  • Options
    joseducajoseduca Posts: 1,272
    been to south american PJ shows
    been to european PJ shows
    been to many many PJ shows in the US
    been to a few MSG PJ shows

crowd last night was incredibly insane

have not heard that energy ever before

cheers, NY, you rock!
    Make records, not war...
  • Options
    WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    Great show eventhough I couldn't see anything from section 8 row R :(
    I am short so I just saw peoples heads and not the band. I hope tonight's seats are way better at least the back stage or sides...don't really care to be on the floor. I'll be bringing a newbie to see PJ...I want him to get all the experience of seeing such a great band.

But I can say that the show sounded awesome. except for some technical problems during one of the songs which I can't remember.

Highlights for me:
    Hard to Imagine - always a good opener.
    Why Go - the audience went crazy on this one...specially me.
    Faithful & Present Tense - Are always great to see live...these songs get the crowd bumped up and are great sing alongs...
    Love Reign O'er me - First time hearing PJ do this song and it was amazing..they covered it very well.
    WMA was awesome...I've been waiting to hear this song in full.
    I believe in Miracles - with CJ Ramone was an honor to see him live since I didn't get a chance to see at all The Ramones when they were a band. :( I was too young back then.
    All along the WatchTower- First time hearing PJ do it. saw people rocking to it made me want to dance to it eventhough i've never heard the song before.

Over all I had fun. Let's see what's in store for MSG2.

Have fun!
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    BarackStar wrote:
    I'm not new to this board...Used to write under a different name many moons ago, and then, well, then kind of ran out of things to say. I recently, rejoined, as it appeared that we all had more to say - and as this tour went on I was anxious to join in the conversation.

I should let you know before we get any further, that I have been to some of the pantheon shows in the history of this band...9/28/96 and 9/29/96 (the gold standard), 9/11/98, The No Code show from Jones Beach III (as well as the other two and 12 other that tour, MSG's 03, The Gorge's 05' and '06, Vote for Change...all told about, and I mean exactly, 51 shows by my last count.

Tonight, tonight was different that all that came before. Every fan of this band was looking forward to these shows at MSG, and it turns out, the band knew it. I remember the second night in '03 when Ed made reference to like 7,000 fan club night 1, and 9,000 or something night II. Make no mistake about it, this band knows what MSG means to us, and the great thing is, we know what MSG means to this band.

This was my 4th show of this tour (Camden's and DC) and while unreal...tonight was, it was just on another level. Tonight was a night were it felt like the whole building knew the words to Down...We're 20,000 people sang along to Faithfull. If you were milling around the garden before these shows tonight, you know how hard people were trying to get tickets. You would've thought they were playing Irving Plaza with the amount of die-hard fans scratching and clawing there way into the garden. It was unlike anything I have ever seen.

I'll write more the show after I come down and digest. But, I really, REALLY, must stress the "vibe" tonight. It was the Vic with 20,000 people...I have never seen an audience react to a band like that...Springsteen in Jersey, you name it - nothing touched that crowd tonight. I love boots, and I have more than I can listen too - but if you want a boot that sounds like life depends on enjoying the next song...well, this is the show for you.

Kudos to New York, kudos to all you lucky ones who came from and wide...and most importantly, kudos to this band - who despite years, despite fan apathy for their greatest hits, despite our age and our inability to rock like we did in '92...god bless, their ability, their desire, their newfound acceptance of their iconic status, their joy in knowing our joy, and, shit, why not, their ability to never cease to amaze and grow (and by grow I mean back-up singers...and CJ Ramone).

Just, unreal, unreal in every sense of the word.

MSG tonight rocked unlike anything I've ever seen - until tomorrow :-). I hope, I pray, and - the best part - I know.

Great post. Thanks.

I can't even conceive of how it could get any better than last night but if it's anywhere close tonight I'll be in heaven.
  • Options
    jmspazola wrote:
    tonight was the greatest night of my life. PJ was on fire. I've seen 14 shows and hands down no other show compares. If anyone argues dfferently they are smoking crack.

...I can't believe i was privilged to see the greatest performance of pearl jam all time.

Word. I'm going back, of course, but I feel like I've now had the ultimate experience, and I feel so lucky that I got that, given that I didn't start seeing PJ till 2003 and missed a lot of the earlier 'epics'
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Damn, me neither. I'm going to be a mess tomorrow :o

It's tomorrow now and I am definitely a mess. Could barely sleep, still can't focus, still on the high even though thoroughly exhausted.

I got invited to a Mansfield show but I don't know if my body can take this. On the other hand, how can I pass up the opportunity? I don't think I can!
  • Options
    Life short GO! Great show sat sec88 L seat 3-4 wish I was going tonight. If you thought that was a good crowd MSG1 "03" was INSANE not only did the stage shake the building SHOOK!
  • Options
    Awwwww :o I love that moment when other people finally get it :)

Me too!
    Last night my husband finally got it. I mean, he enjoyed previous shows, but this time he got why I am going to such lengths to see multiple shows.
  • Options
    Wow. Just Wow. I think I need time to digest what happened last night, but I don't want to lose anything if I don't put this down somewhere soon.

Let me just start by saying that I couldn't find anyone to go with me to this stupid concert for the longest time. Everyone backed out on me. My brother said he didn't feel like coming from Connecticut. (You think I was asking him to fly to California? But I digress.) I finally find a coworker who wants to go. Ok, great. Yesterday rolls around and I have every supervisor up my ass at work and I start to wonder if I'm even going to make it. I finally get out and make my way down to MSG, not knowing what awaits me.

I roll into MSG and there's people everywhere, the lines for posters, etc. It was pretty crazy. I finally find the Ten Club window and get my tickets. I sign the little envelope and the guy says, "Enjoy the front row." I start to walk away from the window and stop. "Front row? No shit!" So little old me who's been a fan club member since only '99 with the 271xxx number whose never won anything in his life, somehow pulled off front row, almost dead center between Ed and Mike.

It was certainly the most amazing concert I had ever been to, and not solely because of how close I was. Mike pointed at me and flung me a pick and I actually caught it. That was my personal highlight. And drinking from Eddie's wine bottle was certainly a cool, unexpected moment.

As far as the music, they were on fire. And when you're that close, you really can tell how much fun they're really having. The people around me were awesome and really into the concert and I could really tell the band was feeding off of everyone's energy.

Most of it is a blur at this point, but some of the other highlights:

*The floor absolutely shaking to the point I thought I would fall during Corduroy

*Eddie looking blown away during one of the first songs after hearing the crowd singing as loud as it did (The crowd volume was awesome)

*Hearing a bunch of neat songs live I hadn't heard in my 7 shows, ala Spin the Black Circle, Leash, W.M.A., Who You Are

*The real excitement in the air when Love Reign O'er Me was playing...lots of energy

*Present Tense

*Taking a picture behind me during small town and seeing everyone's hands waving hello

Thanks Ten Club for making the impossible possible. I thought with my member number, I'd never even smell the 10th row, never mind front row center. And never mind Madison Square Garden! I never thought last night would ever happen in a million years, but it did and it was unreal, and I'm glad so many awesome, positive, energetic Pearl Jam fans were there to share it with.
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    WOW!!!WOW!!!WOW!!! What a EPIC show holy shit next time i am there for sure. I cant even imagine after all that energy last night what they will do next. Hey u all have a blast and enjoy!!!
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    slug420 wrote:
    We do know that they are planning another record?

Yeah with Brendan O'Brien. They went into the studio for a little bit before the tour.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Im Ready For Night 22222222222222
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i got thrown out for throwing my shirt on stage during alive !!!lol

great show though
    Damn, I hope it was near the end of the show! Hope you had an extra to wear home! hehe
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    joseduca wrote:
    been to south american PJ shows
    been to european PJ shows
    been to many many PJ shows in the US
    been to a few MSG PJ shows

crowd last night was incredibly insane

have not heard that energy ever before

cheers, NY, you rock!

This is why people from EVERYWHERE travel to the NYC shows. And why people complain they can't get tix during the 10C presale. But it's soooo worth it in the end. And this is my hometown show, so for me and my homies, it's EXTRA awesome.

My cousins went to Tweeter Center, but I couldn't be bothered with MSG shows coming right up. Plus, I like the band better indoors. The energy just rocks the house like nothing else.

Four words: Live From New York.
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
  • Options
    MrFadedGloryMrFadedGlory Posts: 207
    NY PJ1 wrote:

great show though

Haha, I saw that I think...a black tee shirt over by Mike?
    Left the Porch
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    My first PJ concert.... I can't find the words to describe it!!!!!

And tonight.... AGAIN!!!!!
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    This was one of those shows you can't really explain to people who weren't there. The setlist ... a mere list of songs, words on paper, can't do it justice.

I've been to 14 PJ shows in my day, all over the country. And I have never experienced anything like before. Whoever said you have to stress the "vibe" of the show absolutely nailed it.

That was probably the loudest building I've ever been in, certainly for a rock show. I joked afterward that I don't think I heard Ed sing all night. And that's only halfway a joke.

From the very first song, I was blown away. 25,000 people were singing along to Hard to Imagine. I mean, Alive would be one thing. Jeremy another. But an entire arena belting out a fragile little B side? Unreal. I can't think of another band that pulls that off.

Anyway ... some notes on the show:

HTI: Love this as an opener. Glad I got it. As mentioned before, Ed gets drowned out on the "things were different then" bit. Already, I can tell this is going to be a show different than anything I've ever seen.

Why Go: Holy. Fucking. Shit. You were fucking loud as shit on this one, NY. You could tell Ed was impressed, and so was I. Everyone around me -- and as far as I could tell, everyone in the entire arena -- was going apeshit nuts.

All Night: Before this one, Ed stops to tell us they've negotiated with the venue to extend curfew. By the way, they went on about 10 minutes early. This news is fairly well received throughout the arena. Then they bring on the backup singers. Anybody know what the deal is with them? Ed said they were part of the "crew" but I was unsure if that meant they were part of the PJ crew or the MSG crew. At any rate, nice touch.

Corduroy: Did I mention the crowd was fucking loud? Ed probably sang "the waiting drove me mad," but I couldn't be sure. I couldn't hear him.

Small Town: One of the songs I'd been hoping for, precisely for this reason: 25,000 people in unison, screaming hello. And there go the goosebumps.

Down: Now we're singing along to another B-side as if it's Even Flow. This does not happen in Texas.

Who You Are: Sounds real good. Real good. The extended outro bit -- "you are who you are, are you who you are" -- sounds fuckin' beautiful.

Do the Evolution: Is dedicated to George Carlin. He probably would have liked that song.

WMA: You guys are right, the new intro does sound a little bit like wonderwall. But fuckin' a, this song is so tight. Jeff is masterful on this track, and the "police stopped my brother again part" fucking rocks now. I mean rocks. I mean, if it were 1993, there would have been a mosh pit.

Leash: Ed misses his cue, but it doesn't matter. We sang almost the entire first verse for him, clear as a bell. He comes in a few bars later and starts from the beginning. We get to sing "troubled souls unite" twice. Afterward, Ed remarks it's the perfect New York song ... "get outta my fuckin' face."

No More: From the time this song began showing up on various boots and videos, I developed a pretty strong distaste for it. It seemed a little too naive, a little too simple. But I'll say it now: This song is good live. Ed pulls it off. Again, the crowd makes it happen. They knew their part -- "No More" -- without Ed even telling them. It was quiet as a church, except for that part. Yes, I got goosebumps to a song I don't even like. And also, I've decided "took a bullet in the back for his pay" is a hell of a line.

Watchtower: Saw in SF in '06. Still rocks.

Indifference: Glad they closed with this. 25,000 fuckin' New Yorkers screaming their lungs out till it filled that room. Just seemed fitting.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    *I was there and the crowd was quite impressive, one of the best I've seen.

*The main set was good but not spectacular. Not a fan of All Night, a few technical slip ups, not my favorite Daughter although the "Lets Go Rangers" Chant was awesome! Present Tense = excellent

*Second set was very good with Love Reign over me and WMA (also thought it was wonderwall for a second haha). Only time the crowd underwhelmed was during Leash IMO, thought they'd be more into that.

*Third set, very good again. Crazy Mary is always a personal favorite. I like No More. I like I Believe in Miracles, although I love the accoustic version.

*Had the same feeling when they went off after Alive that I had at Gorge2. That "I think it might be over but it really shouldnt be ... oh plzzzz come back on for a 3rd encore". THIS TIME, they didn't disappoint.

*The rare 3rd encore with not one but two great songs (and i never saw indifference either), made this one of those really good concerts. Not *epic*, but really good.
    WashMyLove wrote:
    Great show eventhough I couldn't see anything from section 8 row R :(
    I am short so I just saw peoples heads and not the band. I hope tonight's seats are way better at least the back stage or sides...don't really care to be on the floor.

Just got to any of the low side sections and say anyone want to buy me a beer if I trade my 2 floor tix for your seats? I'm not tall enough to see down there. You'll have a dozen offers within 5 seconds, you'll be able to see, and you'll make someone's night too. Just an idea.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    MrFadedGloryMrFadedGlory Posts: 207
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Best crowd of any show I have been to. Bar none. Not even close.

As for the show, it was a great one, but certainly not "epic" as some have suggested.

Tomorrow will be crazy. :D

Thank you. I thought the energy on the floor was meh, hit or miss at best. It took Love Reign O'er Me (and that entire uber energetic set) to get everyone going. Finally Ed started talking again after that set and the energy was up...I'm telling you, he feeds off it and if he ain't talking you ain't rockin hard enough.

I hope the crowd does a better job tonight on the floor - most of the 10c fans were amongst the many in the balcony, which is where it was rockin all night IMO. Something needs to happen with how many tickets go to promoters - too many tickets wind up in the hands of people like the quote on the first page "did they play 10 yet?" - there is no way for someone like that to be able to fully appreciate and respond to what they are experiencing. I'm glad they get to see the show, but the lack of energy takes away from all.

Last years Vic and Cinci shows were "Epic" - this one was really good.
    Left the Porch
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Amazing setlist!! Glad you guys got to experience that!! :)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    I think the roar from the audience when they came on for the 2nd encore deafened me. seriously, i cannot hear well from my left ear.

shit.

review later.

HAHAHAHAHA! That made me crack up!! :D Hope you're doing ok now!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    I thought that was an awesome performance!
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    though words could never express my amazing feelings for this show, i'm going to give it a shot.

this was my second pj show. my first was hartford of 06.

hard to imagine was an amazing opener, uniting the crowd right from the start. then bashing right into save you was so intense. when ed yelled "help yourseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelf" i nearly shit. his voice was amazing the whole night.

seeing faithfull and who you are were big highlights for me .. was dying to see those 2

present tense may have been the best live song experience i ever had. gave me chills from head to toe. so unbelievable

wma, down, and 1/2 full were also huge treats for me. that had to be the BEST version of half full i had ever seen/heard. "don't see george bush as half empty, see him always completely full of shit" and "the haves be havin more, yet still boored .. WHAT THE FUCK!?!?" .. fantastic

reign o'er me was EPIC. leash and stbc were rockin as hell .. especially spin spin. wasted reprise into porch was pretty special for me. when he played wasted reprise, something about it just made me think of how lucky i was to be there and enjoy the night. so great

i enjoyed no more alot more then i ever would have expected and i love eds rants so it was sweet. crazy mary was intense, during comatose i thought the whole place shook, ibim with cj ramone was mint, and alive was monstrous. this crowd was INSSSSSAAAAAAAANNEE!!!! dont think i'll ever see anything like it again

closing with indifference was huge for me. loved it

that show was absolutely ridiculous. i'm still in awe. wish i could do night 2.
    BUT HARTFORD AND MANSFIELD 2 HERE I COME!!

love this band so much. had the time of my life. thank you for being the GREAT FUCKING BAND IN THE WORLD!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    NY PJ1 wrote:

great show though

holy shit i saw you i was 14th row and i said to myself damm he looks familiar damm good throw i saw mike pick up the shirt after alive i believe damm j ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    YESTERDAY WAS THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im still in fucking awe, words really cannot describe what i went thru yesterday.

Well let me first start of by saying, that i had NO expectation to win the Lottery at MSG, but i went and got my Tix yesterday, and sure enough

ROW A SEC 3 SEAT 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was FIRST ROW DEAD CENTER, in front of Eddie, im not bragging im just amazed.

NEVER NEVER did i think i would win the lottery at MSG, if anything i thought one of the Camden shows.

THANK YOU 10c for making this show the greatest show of my life!!

the show was beyond spectacular, it was unbeleivable, in fact my friend and i kept turning to each other saying, " is this really happening"

i took a ton of pics, and a soon as im done with tonites show i will post them,

the audience last night was incredible, so fucking LOUD, and the setlist was amazing

out of all the PJ shows i have gone to, i have not heard my favorite song. and i have been bummed out many times because of it , but i couldnt have asked for a better night for them to Play INDIFFERENCE, thank you PEARL JAM
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    people with 300xxx+ where were your seats??
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    people with 300xxx+ where were your seats??

I'm 369xxx

http://www.thegarden.com/seating/index.html

I was the last row in section 111.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et2ySwpBKuc

Encore Break 2, plus Ed Talking for awhile, plus No More.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Thank you. I thought the energy on the floor was meh, hit or miss at best. It took Love Reign O'er Me (and that entire uber energetic set) to get everyone going. Finally Ed started talking again after that set and the energy was up...I'm telling you, he feeds off it and if he ain't talking you ain't rockin hard enough.

I hope the crowd does a better job tonight on the floor - most of the 10c fans were amongst the many in the balcony, which is where it was rockin all night IMO.

Honestly, maybe you were in a dead spot or something, but I was in section 8, and for much of the night, the entire floor in front of me looked like a sea of people jumping and bobbing and stuff. Aside from a few GA shows, it was the best energy I'd ever seen down front at a PJ show.

I left very, very impressed -- and it made my night.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do