Options

*** MSG 1 Fanviews Here 6/24/2008 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
edited February 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Set List: Hard To Imagine, Save You, Why Go, All Night (With guest vocalists Fonzi Thornton, Arif St. Michael, Vaneese Thomas), Corduroy, Faithfull, Small Town, Down, Unemployable, Given To Fly, Who You Are (With guest vocalists Fonzi Thornton, Arif St. Michael, Vaneese Thomas), Whipping, 1/2 Full, Even Flow, Present Tense, Daughter, Do The Evolution

Encore 1: Love Reign O'er Me (Pete Townshend), W.M.A. (With guest vocalists Fonzi Thornton, Arif St. Michael, Vaneese Thomas), Leash, Spin The Black Circle, Wasted Reprise, Porch

Encore 2: No More, Crazy Mary (Victoria Williams), Comatose, I Believe In Miracles (with guest C.J. Ramone playing bass guitar) (Ramone, Rey), Alive

Encore 3: All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan), Indifference

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    this was my 13th pearl jam and i would say so far it was the best. the energy was great and they mixed up the songs nicely. I would say the highlights of the night would be No More, Who You Are and Love Reign Over Me. I'm thinkin tomorrow night has the potential to be even better!
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    great show, very few songs from the newer albums which i guess means that they are reserved for tomorrow.
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Holy crap. That was insane! And I was in the last row in the 400s too. I'm not listening to anyone anymore when they say the upper section at MSG sucks. It was the best concert EVER! I'm hoping that my 10C tix tomorrow will be even better (they have to be, right?)

I Believe In Miracles was my absolute favourite from the night. The rest were pretty darn awesome too. Can't wait till tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Sometimes, when more profound words fail, it's good to have these to fall back on: holy shit.

From the pristine beauty of Present Tense, to the bright intensity of Given to Fly, to the slamming power of Comatose... this evening had it all.

And we get to do it again tomorrow.

And so I repeat: holy shit.
  • Options
    Thank you, Tony for the 4th row seat!! It was freaking amazing!
  • Options
    ItIsEvolutionBabyItIsEvolutionBaby Rogers, AR Posts: 397
    I'm currently in the subway as I type this. best show I've ever seen - bar none! I was fortunate enough to get floor seats in the Garden. ground was shaking at Corduroy and from that point forward. Eddie made mention of this. The guys were on absolute fire tonight. Many thanks to the 10C for everything!!!! Much thanks to the band for being awesome in general!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Insane show. Will write a nice review at some point - maybe. Cannot wait for tomorrow.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i got thrown out for throwing my shirt on stage during alive !!!lol

great show though
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    Well... 23 Pearl Jam show... MOST CONSISTENT ENERGY EVER BY FAR... my god how does this band have so much energy??? IM dyin right now, sittin in the SOHO GRAND IN NYC trying to get the energy to go out

HOW THE HELL DO WE DO THIS AGAIN TOMORROW??

show wise... they just crushed you from the beginning.. thats all you can say.... 30 songs 2 hrs 40 min approx... energy and crowd singing was best ive ever witnessed... including all past boston and NYC shows ... just amazing.. .GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD- GREATEST FANS IN THE WORLD... lets give us a hand! hahaha

great great show, i expect tomorrow to be maybe a little bit heavier on slower/unpredictable songs.. i would imagine YL to end for sure... black, rvm, god knows what else, band had a blast and told the curfew to go screw what 5 songs in??? love it... 4 to go for me still
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    edit: wrong thread sorry
  • Options
    BarackStarBarackStar Posts: 20
    I'm not new to this board...Used to write under a different name many moons ago, and then, well, then kind of ran out of things to say. I recently, rejoined, as it appeared that we all had more to say - and as this tour went on I was anxious to join in the conversation.

I should let you know before we get any further, that I have been to some of the pantheon shows in the history of this band...9/28/96 and 9/29/96 (the gold standard), 9/11/98, The No Code show from Jones Beach III (as well as the other two and 12 other that tour, MSG's 03, The Gorge's 05' and '06, Vote for Change...all told about, and I mean exactly, 51 shows by my last count.

Tonight, tonight was different that all that came before. Every fan of this band was looking forward to these shows at MSG, and it turns out, the band knew it. I remember the second night in '03 when Ed made reference to like 7,000 fan club night 1, and 9,000 or something night II. Make no mistake about it, this band knows what MSG means to us, and the great thing is, we know what MSG means to this band.

This was my 4th show of this tour (Camden's and DC) and while unreal...tonight was, it was just on another level. Tonight was a night were it felt like the whole building knew the words to Down...We're 20,000 people sang along to Faithfull. If you were milling around the garden before these shows tonight, you know how hard people were trying to get tickets. You would've thought they were playing Irving Plaza with the amount of die-hard fans scratching and clawing there way into the garden. It was unlike anything I have ever seen.

I'll write more the show after I come down and digest. But, I really, REALLY, must stress the "vibe" tonight. It was the Vic with 20,000 people...I have never seen an audience react to a band like that...Springsteen in Jersey, you name it - nothing touched that crowd tonight. I love boots, and I have more than I can listen too - but if you want a boot that sounds like life depends on enjoying the next song...well, this is the show for you.

Kudos to New York, kudos to all you lucky ones who came from and wide...and most importantly, kudos to this band - who despite years, despite fan apathy for their greatest hits, despite our age and our inability to rock like we did in '92...god bless, their ability, their desire, their newfound acceptance of their iconic status, their joy in knowing our joy, and, shit, why not, their ability to never cease to amaze and grow (and by grow I mean back-up singers...and CJ Ramone).

Just, unreal, unreal in every sense of the word.

MSG tonight rocked unlike anything I've ever seen - until tomorrow :-). I hope, I pray, and - the best part - I know.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    BarackStar wrote:
    I'm not new to this board...Used to write under a different name many moons ago, and then, well, then kind of ran out of things to say. I recently, rejoined, as it appeared that we all had more to say - and as this tour went on I was anxious to join in the conversation.

I should let you know before we get any further, that I have been to some of the pantheon shows in the history of this band...9/28/96 and 9/29/96 (the gold standard), 9/11/98, The No Code show from Jones Beach III (as well as the other two and 12 other that tour, MSG's 03, The Gorge's 05' and '06, Vote for Change...all told about, and I mean exactly, 51 shows by my last count.

Tonight, tonight was different that all that came before. Every fan of this band was looking forward to these shows at MSG, and it turns out, the band knew it. I remember the second night in '03 when Ed made reference to like 7,000 fan club night 1, and 9,000 or something night II. Make no mistake about it, this band knows what MSG means to us, and the great thing is, we know what MSG means to this band.

This was my 4th show of this tour (Camden's and DC) and while unreal...tonight was, it was just on another level. Tonight was a night were it felt like the whole building knew the words to Down...We're 20,000 people sang along to Faithfull. If you were milling around the garden before these shows tonight, you know how hard people were trying to get tickets. You would've thought they were playing Irving Plaza with the amount of die-hard fans scratching and clawing there way into the garden. It was unlike anything I have ever seen.

I'll write more the show after I come down and digest. But, I really, REALLY, must stress the "vibe" tonight. It was the Vic with 20,000 people...I have never seen an audience react to a band like that...Springsteen in Jersey, you name it - nothing touched that crowd tonight. I love boots, and I have more than I can listen too - but if you want a boot that sounds like life depends on enjoying the next song...well, this is the show for you.

Kudos to New York, kudos to all you lucky ones who came from and wide...and most importantly, kudos to this band - who despite years, despite fan apathy for their greatest hits, despite our age and our inability to rock like we did in '92...god bless, their ability, their desire, their newfound acceptance of their iconic status, their joy in knowing our joy.

MSG tonight rocked unlike anything I've ever seen - until tomorrow :-)
    I love this review,
    that's what I'm talking about! Thanks!
    Can't wait till (later today!)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    edit: wrong thread sorry
    I saw that! The security guards over there were being dicks to people all night.

Amazing show though. I don't know how anywhere can match the energy of msg. The place was shaking by the third song!
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Tonight was awesome but also tough to gauge. I was in msg on 7/8/03, it was the best show i think ive ever experienced. Since i woke up today I carried a crazy amount of anticipation and excitement. I grabbed my ten club tickets around 515 and met my girl downstairs at Stout. Stout televised the aforementioned 7/8/03 show which was a nice touch, everyone seemed anxious for the show for sure. Surprisingly to me PJ went on at exactly 845. This was communicated earlier I realize, but i was expecting 9 or so. The setlist was nice - for me Down, Given to Fly and Watchtower were highlights. The crowd was as expected at MSG, mostly enthusiast, except for a few people. It was a great show and you simply cannot deny the energy, vibe and atmosphere of a PJ show at MSG. I can't say it was better than the past but I feel blessed to enjoy a night with PJ. Until tomorrow...
    4/30/03 - Nassau Coliseum
    7/8/03 - Madison Square Garden
    7/14/03 - PNC Arts Center
    6/3/06 - Continental Arena
    6/24/08 - Madison Square Garden
    6/25/08 - Madison Square Garden
    8/7/08 - EV NJPAC
    10/31/09 - Philly Spectrum
    5/18/10 - Prudential Center
    5/20/10 - Madison Square Garden
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field
    10/18/13 - Barclays Center
    9/26/15 - Central Park
    5/1/16 - Madison Square Garden
    5/2/16 - Madison Square Garden
    8/7/16 - Fenway Park
    8/8/18 - Safeco Field
    8/10/18 - Safeco Field
    9/18/21 - Asbury Park Boardwalk

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Sea wrote:
    Set List: Hard To Imagine, Save You, Why Go, All Night (With guest vocalists Fonzi Thorton, Arif St. Michael, Vaneese Thomas), Corduroy, Faithfull, Small Town, Down, Unemployable, Given To Fly, Who You Are (With guest vocalists Fonzi Thorton, Arif St. Michael, Vaneese Thomas), Whipping, 1/2 Full, Even Flow, Present Tense, Daughter, Do The Evolution

Encore 1: Love Reign O'er Me (Pete Townshend), W.M.A. (With guest vocalists Fonzi Thorton, Arif St. Michael, Vaneese Thomas), Leash, Spin The Black Circle, Wasted Reprise, Porch

Encore 2: No More, Crazy Mary (Victoria Williams), Comatose, I Believe In Miracles (with guest C.J. Ramone playing bass guitar) (Ramone, Ray), Alive

Encore 3: All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan), Indifference

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

What to say what to say... what a great show.

Honestly, I have to say the MSG crowd was not worse than the best Italian crowds I have been a part of. What energy... the floor was beautiful to see from up above.

I was stunned by how fantastic Who You are and WMA sounded. True masterpieces, I am so glad I witnessed that.

Also, the sound in the building was phenomenal. Nothing to envy to the Arena in Verona, which so far had been the venue with the best sound for me.

The absolute highlight for me was Love Reign O'er Me. I could not move from the first note to the last. Truthfully, cried my little meme's heart out.

Thank you for a beautiful night. See you tomorrow!
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    i agree with what has been mentioned! This show was epic, i've never come across a crowd like it before! From front to back, the whole building were singing and dancing to everything! I was disappointed when I got my tickets, as they were pretty much last row on the floor,but as soon as the band took the stage I forgot all about it and rocked out! Who You Are was just breath-taking... Thank you Pearl Jam!!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    well according to Eddie, the album isn't out yet, so he said before Unemployable. Loved it!

Arakias wrote:
    great show, very few songs from the newer albums which i guess means that they are reserved for tomorrow.
  • Options
    whome13whome13 Posts: 72
    Whoa.

I was in the 300 section off to the side of stage, in the very last row but it didn't even matter. Me and the random people back by me all had an awesome time. Granted, this was only my third show, but I've never seen the ENTIRE place so into it. EV commented on the place shaking after the first handful of times, and compared it to doing mushrooms. The only songs that could even may be considered filler were Even Flow (which is hilarious to see half of the Ten Club get up and head for the aisles, by the way) and Crazy Mary.

Sure, they had some repeats from earlier in the tour but people have to remember that the majority of the crowd didn't go to Florida and DC.

I honestly don't know how they will top it tomorrow.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Sometimes, when more profound words fail, it's good to have these to fall back on: holy shit.

From the pristine beauty of Present Tense, to the bright intensity of Given to Fly, to the slamming power of Comatose... this evening had it all.

And we get to do it again tomorrow.

And so I repeat: holy shit.

How could I forget about Present Tense? The best version I have ever seen, without question.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    sweet water-walking jesus!!! what a fucking show!!!!!
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    well according to Eddie, the album isn't out yet, so he said before Unemployable. Loved it!

Serioulsy..the one "lowlight" of the night..."This song is off the NEXT record, (I have a heart attack) it's called Unemployable (I regain my strength, albeit less than pleased :-) )

But, Unemployable rocked - and the crowd was all over the Oh, Oh Oh's - I mean, ALL OVER...Shania would've been jealous no doubt.
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    can anyone elaborate on what the backup singers were like? I'd be curious to here because all night has tons of harmonies going on in the studio version and would be cool to hear live.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    That was sick. The best I have ever seen....ever.
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options
    shemp1178shemp1178 Posts: 8
    I am deaf. Good videos on youtube.com/brookemalloy

lots to post, so be patient!
  • Options
    BarackStar wrote:
    "This song is off the NEXT record, (I have a heart attack)

Oh, yes. Me too. I think I nearly fell over. Then he started describing the song, and I thought "This sounds an awful lot like Unemployable." And then it was Unemployable. And then I realized that, bless his dear heart, Eddie was most likely drizzunk.

As the kids say. The weird kids.
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    Oh, yes. Me too. I think I nearly fell over. Then he started describing the song, and I thought "This sounds an awful lot like Unemployable." And then it was Unemployable. And then I realized that, bless his dear heart, Eddie was most likely drizzunk.

As the kids say. The weird kids.

lol yeah poor ed...i was wondering where he was going with that
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    I'm enjoying the reviews so keep 'em coming so I can live vicariously through all of you!! Man it sucks being an adult sometimes!!! Please come to the West Coast and play a 5 night run at the Fillmore, I promise I will come to each and every show!

Peace on ya

RM
  • Options
    pjfan020 wrote:
    can anyone elaborate on what the backup singers were like? I'd be curious to here because all night has tons of harmonies going on in the studio version and would be cool to hear live.

Sure - they basically sang the harmonies from the studio version...They were three people from the crew. It was very cool, especially seeing something that random on the 4th song. Ed prefaced All Night with something to the effect of...(he spoke about getting the curfew pushed back after much haggling, and then said so we got all night tonight..."But that doesn't mean we can't experiment, here's a song we wrote 12 years ago, and played for the first time about a week ago...But we never got it sound as good as it did this afternoon, so please welcome 3 of our crew"

They came out and it was awesome...They hammed it up and had some Temptations like dance moves...Clearly, the time of their lives....They came out again for WMA and Who You Are (which was flawless - jack fans be damned)...It's all such a blur right now. Hope that helped.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    For now, all I have to say is that if you took rubber bands from the package near the B Poster line, you have me to thank! And to all of you who were grabbing them over my shoulder as I was trying to get my poster wrapped nicely without asking, you are very rude individuals.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume