"Dark Matter" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,451
    Next test is to stay in the top 50 next week
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,407
    That will be tough. Gigaton dropped to No. 7 in sales in its second week but to No. 66 on the Billboard 200. You need to recruit a few hundred more people to your non-stop streaming project.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    That will be tough. Gigaton dropped to No. 7 in sales in its second week but to No. 66 on the Billboard 200. You need to recruit a few hundred more people to your non-stop streaming project.
    I tried on the fb groups but I just get laughed at
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,326
    igotid88 said:
    If Pearl Jam started in the 60s and this came out in 1994. I could see this album selling 300k the first week 
    They could have started at the same time and released this album in 94 and still sold a ton of copies. I think it's that good. It's just a completely different time for rock music now. 

The good news, in my opinion, is there are a lot of single worthy songs here that might give them album some staying power that their previous 3-5 albums didn't provide them. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    If Pearl Jam started in the 60s and this came out in 1994. I could see this album selling 300k the first week 
    They could have started at the same time and released this album in 94 and still sold a ton of copies. I think it's that good. It's just a completely different time for rock music now. 

The good news, in my opinion, is there are a lot of single worthy songs here that might give them album some staying power that their previous 3-5 albums didn't provide them. 
    I just meant as a band 30+ years in. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 264
    edited April 26
    Dark Matter (album)

#2 in Australia
    #2 in Germany
    #2 in Ireland
    #2 in UK (9,835 sales)
    #3 in Italy
    #3 in New Zealand
    Post edited by kramerica4 on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,326
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

I just meant as a band 30+ years in. 
    I agree with you. Yeah

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Matter (album)

#2 in Australia
    #2 in Germany
    #2 in Ireland
    #2 in UK (9,835 sales)
    #3 in Italy
    #3 in New Zealand
    Image Taylor did not release her album on the same day - Dark Matter would be number 1 in many places...
  • Options
    edited April 26
    The early estimates (which do not reflect the numbers from Luminate that Billboard will report on Sunday) show Dark Matter with 60,248 total units, of which 52,102 represent pure sales (CD, vinyl and full-album digital downloads). These totals typically slightly undershoot the Luminate numbers, so I would expect the final pure sales number to be around 53-55,000 and the total unit number to be about 61-63,000. These numbers would be almost exactly in line with the first-week performance of Gigaton (57,000 "pure" sales, of which 14,000 were vinyl/63,000 total units).

I still don't have any information as to whether direct-to-consumer pre-orders via the Ten Club are reported to Luminate. I have reason to believe they are not, but I don't know for sure, and I could be wrong.

This should place Dark Matter, as expected, at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 and No. 2 on the Top Album Sales chart. The albums at Nos. 2 through 4 in the projections are all mere thousands ahead of Pearl Jam in total units at 69,000 (Future & Metro Boomin), 66,000 (Beyonce) and 63,000 (Morgan Wallen), so it's possible that the final numbers could put Pearl Jam above one or more of these acts. Pearl Jam has a little bit more of a cushion over the projected No. 6 (54,000, also Future & Metro Boomin). By the way, of Future & Metro Boomin's 69,000 projected total at No. 2, only 244 are actual album sales. The chart formula is so broken.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,118
    Dark Matter (album)

#2 in Australia
    #2 in Germany
    #2 in Ireland
    #2 in UK (9,835 sales)
    #3 in Italy
    #3 in New Zealand
    Image Taylor did not release her album on the same day - Dark Matter would be number 1 in many places...
    Imagine Taylor Swift, Robbie Williams and Metallica realising their album on the same day - Dark Matter would be number 4 in many places…
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Curious about the real numbers when they are released.
    Hope they give information about the sales of the different formats (CD, Deluxe CD, Vinyl).
  • Options
    edited April 27
    Dark Matter (album)

#2 in Australia
    #2 in Germany
    #2 in Netherlands
    #2 in Ireland
    #2 in Scotland
    #2 in UK (9,835 sales)
    #3 in Italy
    #3 in New Zealand
  • Options
    Curious about the real numbers when they are released.
    Hope they give information about the sales of the different formats (CD, Deluxe CD, Vinyl).
    I should be able to get the number of vinyl and CD sales numbers, but there won't be any differentiation for the Deluxe CD.
  • Options
    Final numbers:

Total units: 59,000
    Total sales: 52,000
    Vinyl sales: 24,000

There were 9.33 million on-demand streams of the 11 songs on the album, which translates, along with free streams, to the 7,000 streaming-equivalent units that account for the difference between 52,000 and 59,000.

The album debuts at No. 5 on the Billboard 200.

(Taylor Swift had 2.61 total units, of which 1.91 million were pure sales, of which 859,000 were vinyl.)
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Final numbers:

There were 9.33 million on-demand streams of the 11 songs on the album, which translates, along with free streams, to the 7,000 streaming-equivalent units that account for the difference between 52,000 and 59,000.

(Taylor Swift had 2.61 total units, of which 1.91 million were pure sales, of which 859,000 were vinyl.)
    And here we thought it might go up from the 61k. It ended up being less. Hopefully we can stay in the top 50 this week
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Final numbers:

And here we thought it might go up from the 61k. It ended up being less. Hopefully we can stay in the top 50 this week
    Yeah, I can't remember an HDD estimate coming in too high, which was why I assumed it would be slight underprojection. (Admittedly, I very rarely look at the HDD projections, so I'm working from a small sample size.)

By the way, it just occurred to me that Taylor Swift's streams were worth 100 times Pearl Jam's streams: 700,000 units for her to 7,000 for them. She "only" outsold them by a ratio of about 36.7-to-1. (Someone had projected in the Taylor Swift thread that she would outsell them 20-to-1, and I almost posted that it would probably be twice that. Of course, it's easy for me to say that now. :) )
  • Options
    Hey, number five is cool with me -- the streak continues! 🥑 
  • Options
    DoogieDoogie Posts: 14
    All studio albums in the top five on the Billboard 200. Great achievement!
  • Options
    And all have reached either No. 1 or No. 2 in sales except for Riot Act, which reached No. 5.
  • Options
    Imagine if they got rid of cd/vinyl. They wouldn't even make the top 200
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Imagine if they got rid of cd/vinyl. They wouldn't even make the top 200
    That would be the end of the album as a format. If there were no more physical albums, artists would probably just release individual tracks intermittently.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Dark Matter (album)

#2 / #23 in Australia
    #2 in Germany
    #2 in Netherlands
    #2 in Ireland
    #2 in Scotland
    #2 in UK (9,835 sales)
    #2 in Swiss
    #2 in Belgium
    #3 in Italy
    #3 / #18 in New Zealand
    #5 in US (59' sales)
    #13 in France

Without Swift, there would be a couple of number one coiuntries for PJ.
    Disappointed about the US numbers. Even with RSD, the regional variants  and the 10-C exclusive Vinyl, the US shows the worst chart position of all countries. Sad.
  • Options
    Dark Matter (album)

#2 in Australia
    #2 in Germany
    #2 in Netherlands
    #2 in Ireland
    #2 in Scotland
    #2 in UK (9,835 sales)
    #2 in Swiss
    #2 in Belgium
    #3 in Italy
    #3 in New Zealand
    #5 in US (59' sales)

Without Swift, there would be a couple of number one coiuntries for PJ.
    Disappointed about the US numbers. Even with RSD, the regional variants  and the 10-C exclusive Vinyl, the US shows the worst chart position of all countries. Sad.
    I think that may be because the other countries' charts are measuring only sales, whereas the Billboard 200 measures sales and streaming. In the U.S., the album is also number two on Top Album Sales.

Or, if the other charts do measure sales and streaming, it just means that Future & Metro Boomin, Beyonce and Morgan Wallen are not as popular in those places, and there isn't anything else getting a particularly large number of streams this week in those countries. Country music generally does not do well overseas, so I wouldn't expect Morgan Wallen to be streaming much in the countries you list. And the Beyonce album is a country album, so it may not be as big overseas as a typical Beyonce album.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,980
    BF25394 said:
    Final numbers:

• Options
    Original post updated for charts for the week ending May 4, 2024. There are a lot of updates, as the album debuts on several charts, "Wreckage" debuts on several charts, and nine of the album's eleven songs appear on the Hot Hard Rock Songs chart. As is typical, the songs chart in roughly the order in which they appear on the album, with singles ranking ahead of album tracks. Singles get more traffic, and then people tend to listen to the album in order, with earlier tracks in the sequence consumed more because people don't always make it all the way through to the end. However, it is interesting that "Setting Sun" charted ahead of both "Something Special" and "Got to Give" (neither of which made the 25-song chart), which suggests that some number of people are skipping the latter two tracks.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Original post updated for charts for the week ending May 4, 2024. There are a lot of updates, as the album debuts on several charts, "Wreckage" debuts on several charts, and nine of the album's eleven songs appear on the Hot Hard Rock Songs chart. As is typical, the songs chart in roughly the order in which they appear on the album, with singles ranking ahead of album tracks. Singles get more traffic, and then people tend to listen to the album in order, with earlier tracks in the sequence consumed more because people don't always make it all the way through to the end. However, it is interesting that "Setting Sun" charted ahead of both "Something Special" and "Got to Give" (neither of which made the 25-song chart), which suggests that some number of people are skipping the latter two tracks.
    Got to Give deserves more love. That could easily be a single
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    Wait, did we conclude that orders from 10C counted towards the totals?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Got to Give deserves more love. That could easily be a single
    I agree. Fantastic song.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    We didn't conclude anything. I expressed my doubts about whether those orders are included, but I noted that I have no definitive information one way or the other.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    We didn't conclude anything. I expressed my doubts about whether those orders are included, but I noted that I have no definitive information one way or the other.
    Gotcha.  

I would THINK they would be included, yeah?  I mean, thats a lot of orders. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission