Options

Vancouver N1 and N2 - Thread

Comments

• Options
    nc_jammer1nc_jammer1 Posts: 520
    anyone thats interested, violent femmes are playing Sunday night in Vancouver at the commodore ballroom.

Marriott Delta Downtown Vancouver has a Pearl Jam rate, unfortunately only avail sun through wed for some reason. https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1709765324617&key=GRP&app=resvlink
    yup, just called,  only May 5-8 available. Sat May 4 is over $700 , yikes!
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Salzburg / Calgary / Hamilton Posts: 79
    Damn, I would love to see PJ in Vancouver this year, but the timing was way too short for me to plan a trip. Love the city, love the country. Hopefully I will have another chance (maybe for a full Canada tour like in 2005 or 2011?) :D 
  • Options
    Full Canada tour would be sweet.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 609
    edited March 23
    Full Canada tour would be sweet.
    Yes!  With the tour opener at the Langley, B.C. Events Center!!
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • Options
    I didn't know they were even selling tickets in this section?
    Might have a hard time selling at this price. lol

" Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,238
    I didn't know they were even selling tickets in this section?
    Might have a hard time selling at this price. lol

And apparently it’s a “super seller” at that price! What a bargain 💰🤣
  • Options
    blairs1blairs1 Ontario, Canada Posts: 146
    has anyone made the drive from Seattle to Vancouver? That's the likely plan for my flight/travel.
  • Options
    blairs1 said:
    has anyone made the drive from Seattle to Vancouver? That's the likely plan for my flight/travel.
    Nope, but I’ll be doing the same thing actually. Looks like it’s about a 3 hour drive, so shouldn’t be too bad. 
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 316
    blairs1 said:
    Yeah many times. Easy drive. Did it after the Home Shows in ‘18 to avoid paying the inflated hotel rates. 
  • Options
    edited March 26
    ekwipt said:
    blairs1 said:
    Yeah many times. Easy drive. Did it after the Home Shows in ‘18 to avoid paying the inflated hotel rates. 
    3 hours should be about right going home late evening although be wary of the potential lineups at the border earlier in the day and the Seattle and Vancouver traffic. A  Nexus Card is a huge time saver at the border if it’s really busy.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    blairs1 said:
    Off topic but I’m making the drive from Seattle to Portland for the show. How’s that drive?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    blairs1 said:
    Off topic but I’m making the drive from Seattle to Portland for the show. How’s that drive?
    Haven’t done it personally, but my sister lives in Seattle and has done it many times. She told me it’s not bad- usually takes her around 3 hours as leaves as she leaves around the right time (i.e., not rush hour). 
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    steven87 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    blairs1 said:
    Haven’t done it personally, but my sister lives in Seattle and has done it many times. She told me it’s not bad- usually takes her around 3 hours as leaves as she leaves around the right time (i.e., not rush hour). 
    Good to know. I’ll be driving overnight.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

We've done Vancouver through Seattle down to Portland a few times, usually on the weekend. Out last time was brutal around Tacoma and as you get close to Olympia. There were also a couple of spots where the highway loses a lane and traffic can bog down pretty badly. 
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 379
    blairs1 said:
    It's not a bad drive at all, I do it several times a year. Timing can be key though because rush hour traffic around Seattle is no joke, it can drastically affect your total time. Border waits too. What time and days do you plan to be driving here and back?
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,144
    We live across from Seattle, and we are staying just on the US side of the border so we miss the Seattle and Everett traffic. That way we only have to deal with the border before and after the show.  Hope this doesn't suck for us.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    TA243471 said:
    We live across from Seattle, and we are staying just on the US side of the border so we miss the Seattle and Everett traffic. That way we only have to deal with the border before and after the show.  Hope this doesn't suck for us.
    Going across after the shows should really be no problem late at night. Going through during the day into Canada might not be so bad on Saturday but Monday might be busier depending on the time of day (rush hour). On the weekend it's busier in the mornings going south and busier in the afternoon going north so you may want to think about making a day of it and head into Canada in the morning.

I'm kinda lost when it comes to border waits since we got Nexus cards. Wait times posted can say 60 minutes and it's 5 minutes for us. It's crazy sometimes.
  • Options
    TA243471 said:
    Keep in mind there are 2 crossings in the Blaine/White Rock area. I believe what Shifty has said above is accurate. That said I haven"t used these crossings in some time. There is the Peace Arch crossing(just stay on I5) or you can catch what's known the truck customs which is just slightly east of Peace Arch and may save a person some time, just keep an ear on the traffic report.
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,311
    edited March 29
    Locals, how is the Grandview Woodland area, near Commercial Dr? Is it a good neighborhood to stay in? 
    Post edited by NewfieintheUSA on
  • Options
    UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 778
    How's the area around Granville St and Nelson St?
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 206
    edited March 29
    Locals, how is the Grandview Woodland area, near Commercial Dr? Is it a good neighborhood to stay in? 
    It's not the greatest looking area (certain blocks may look run down), but it's residential and is a safe place to stay. Lot's of bars and restaurants along Commercial Drive.
    Post edited by Original_Shifty on
  • Options
    How's the area around Granville St and Nelson St?
    Granville Street is fine during the day but can be a rowdy area at night with all the bars and clubs. You may see homeless young people and people with mental issues. Not to say they are dangerous, but some may be unsettled by seeing them. The city will try and revive the area from time to time, but these days I think it's on a down turn.
  • Options
    It's not the greatest looking area (certain blocks may look run down), but it's residential and is a safe place to stay. Lot's of bars and restaurants along Commercial Drive.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 30
    I'm not good with posting a link but check out a recent article from a publication called Time Out I believe naming Commercial Drive one of coolest streets in the world. Also just 10ish minutes by skytrain right to the Rogers arena door step. Tons of independent restaurants,  a good choice. I've not stayed as we're about 40 km away but have always felt safe when dining or hitting J.J.Bean for great coffee on a day trip.
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772
    We're flying into Bellingham, WA on Friday. From there, we will cross the border early Saturday. 

After the shows, we'll eventually wind our way down through WA and into Portland.

There's so much to do do in all the areas, and I don't know that we will get any time in/around Seattle. However we absolutely will be making a return to Washington, so I think we are putting more of an emphasis of focusing on BC and OR. We will also return to Vancouver someday, but that focus will be on Vancouver Island. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    DJ253147 said:
    I'm not good with posting a link but check out a recent article from a publication called Time Out I believe naming Commercial Drive one of coolest streets in the world. Also just 10ish minutes by skytrain right to the Rogers arena door step. Tons of independent restaurants,  a good choice. I've not stayed as we're about 40 km away but have always felt safe when dining or hitting J.J.Bean for great coffee on a day trip.
    Thanks. We're staying just across the street from Woodland park, so not really close to the Skytrain. Looks like a pretty easy bus ride though
  • Options
    We've said "eff it" and have booked a room at the Coast Hotel for the Monday night show. I have to get up at 4:30am to get to work and my spouse didn't like what time we could potential get home from the show and how little sleep I'll be getting. Staying downtown will help. :-)
  • Options
    mpuentempuente Posts: 23
    edited March 31
    Booked at Opus. Across the street from Skytrain. Easy access to transit system and an easy walk to Rogers Arena.
    PJ
    Spokane, WA: 11-30-13
    Seattle, WA: 8-8-18
    Seattle, WA: 8-10-18
    Montana, MT: 8-13-18
    Oakland, CA: 5-12-22
    Oakland, CA: 5-13-22
    *Las Vegas, NV: 5-20-22
    Vancouver, BC: 5-4-24
    Vancouver, BC: 5-6-24
    Portland, OR: 5-10-24
    Seattle, WA: 5-28-24

EV
    Florence, Italy: 6-24-17
    Seattle, WA: 2-21-22
    Seattle, WA: 2-22-22
    Seattle, WA: 10-23-23

TOTD
    Seattle, WA: 11-21-16
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 206
    edited April 1
    DJ253147 said:
    Thanks. We're staying just across the street from Woodland park, so not really close to the Skytrain. Looks like a pretty easy bus ride though
    TBH when you described the neighbourhood, I thought you were further south than Woodland Park. You should still be good, but it may not be as nice as I first described, but it's not awful.

For transit, you're probably catching a bus on Hastings Street. This is only informational, but you will be travelling through what may be the poorest postal code in Canada. I feel completely safe taking the bus through this area, so you should too. I am bringing this up because it can be sad and overwhelming to what you may see. Open drug use, people passed out on the sidewalks, tents being used, garbage littering the streets, and everything else that goes along with people suffering from their addictions. It really does break my heart when I go through this area. If this troubles you to see this, I would suggest going to Commercial Drive and catch a bus going south to Broadway and then take the Skytrain to Stadium Station.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772
    Staying at Blue Horizons in Coal Harbour area. Is this a drive to and park at the show sort of thing or a walk to/from the hotel type of deal?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory