Ed In Milwaukee

Comments

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    Dank wrote:
    Why he bothered to put on one of these classic, intimate shows for that city is beyond me. Lesson learned I guess for Ed. Way to go cheeseheads.

Yeah, after Arc I asked my wife if she was ready to leave, she asked if I was sure it was over. My logic was that Arc was an awesome way to close a show, it was after 11:00, and why would he reward a crowd with another song?

I do think it was a massive evening of highs and lows for him. Obviously the lows have been discussed in great length, but there were times when he seemed like he was loving the hell out of the crowd singing. Guess you can't have one without the other. But he mentioned the "Hey!"s in "You've got to hide your love away" were the best of the tour so far, and he even extended the song for more of them. Also he seemed to be impressed with the singing in "Small Town". You know, a performer can cater to a crowd by praising their singing, but his face really seemed to show his enjoyment. Once again, he extended the song for more "Awaaaaaaaay"s. Maybe it was the room flattering the singing of the crowd. Who knows. But there were highs and lows for him, and I think both were on the extreme ends. Wouldn't be surprised if there were no more solo tours.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    as you'd suspected would be the case??? plese explain.

The guy dragged out was from Chicago from what I hear.

Just like a-hole Cub fans take over Miller Park because Brewer fans are gready and sell their souls (tickets) to them I "suspect" Chicago fans came to the Riverside and ruined it for us.

No way.

First of all, random fans dont travel too far to see a show. So unless he was a ten clubber, he was from wisconsin. And I doubt that ten clubbers would do that.

Besides, half of wisconsin likes the Cubs for some reason anyway. I dont get it......
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    lowlight10 wrote:
    go cubs.

where are the cubs going? i know where they usually go.........and it ain't the World Series.

See you in the NLCS.
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Alright, I've been to 9 of these now. Mostly out west. So I have quite of material to go on. Look Mlwaukee, you ruined it for yourself. Blackbird and Arc were both way off compared to past shows. Other than the shouting, which has been at every show (just not this bad), there was a heavy hum of just general chatter. Similar to a cafeteria. That is why Ed said "do you guys wanna have a conversation or something". As far as the guy who got tossed, big guy, but not 400 lbs. and I'm not going to be so hard on him yet. From what I can tell he got kinda of raw deal from a couple equally as big security guys. This was not Ed security, it was venue security, so they may not be any better. One guy did yell "You Suck" and walked out. Even though it was kinda close to the stage, Ed just said something into the mic and I'm 80% sure he didn't here it.

How about this, did anyone here some guy yell "Where is your wife" just seconds before Arc?

I just gotta say. Good job Milwaukee. Good job at meeting every single negative stereotype that someone who has never been here has about Milwaukee.
    tacos
  • JLF78JLF78 Posts: 96
    The guy that was dragged out was absolutely a 10c member. He was 4 rows directly in front of me. He screamed, "Fuck you, I'm a 10c Member" as he was being dragged up the aisle.
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    No way.

First of all, random fans dont travel too far to see a show. So unless he was a ten clubber, he was from wisconsin. And I doubt that ten clubbers would do that.

Besides, half of wisconsin likes the Cubs for some reason anyway. I dont get it......

guy was in 5th row or so........

A lot of it's random but there were people up from IL, I sat next to two of them, good guys.
    JLF78 wrote:
    The guy that was dragged out was absolutely a 10c member. He was 4 rows directly in front of me. He screamed, "Fuck you, I'm a 10c Member" as he was being dragged up the aisle.

"Do you know who I am... Do you know who I am.....!!!..........I'm a 10 club member!!!!" :)
    And someone yelled "Freebird!"

Really. They really did.

They should have been sniped on sight.

It would be more of a story if it hadn't happened. Every show.
    tacos
  • spappyspappy Posts: 21
    I just want to say that I was also thoroughly embarrassed for the good name of Wisconsin at that show. I felt horrible.

The first wave of yells and "requests" is something that Ed probably understands fully. But when he has to tell you at least 3 or 4 times to "shut the fuck up" - and you can't respect that...well, you're giving the whole crowd a bad name.

I am so thankful that Ed didn't decide to just say "fuck this" and bail early. I think he knew there were just a few bad apples (although seemingly more than he's used to)

He WAS impressed by our singing on Elderly Woman!

I'm sorry for all of the fans that couldn't respect you, Ed! Please come back to Wisconsin again....maybe Alpine Valley!!!!!

I believe he did say "fuck this" after he fell out of his chair. I thought he was done at that point. Not only were the requests bad, there is a time and a place for the 2 guys in row q to yell "go cubs" the place is the park, the time is during a game. Act like rhe Cubs have won before. Oh wait...
    I got id
  • gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    pjbiaas wrote:
    Great show, but at one point security had to drag a 400 pd guy from 5th row out at which point eddie fell over and laid on the ground for about a minute. Then a guy sitting (next to us) in Left front center row K seat 1 (95% SURE ON SEAT # WILL VERIFY)(marked so the fan club can cancel his membership, and ship him a deads pigs head) got up yelled u suck and left. (After soon forget????WTF)

Ed saw through, but I was embarrassed, I could tell he was not impressed with "old milwaukee". When done with Hard Sun (which he made sure rocked) the way he said good bye I could tell he wanted to go.

anyway had to get that seat number out before bed, a waste of a seat when so many fans had to sit behind him. Some fans joked after the show ed will not be back soon.. Lets go Chicago.....

Besides the negative I can't wait for Chicago, It was a great show... opening w/ sometimes kicked but, enjoyed Liam as well. Arc, millworker, other

-p

sounds like these yahoos outdid the drunken frat boys in toronto...
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
    JLF78 wrote:

I'm in 10 club! Fuck you! I'm in 10 club!

still.... what did he do? I'm not dogging this guy til I know. Did venue security get a little outta line, which is very possible, or is the guy just a knucklehead.
    tacos
    This is comical...

It was a bad night, I agree. Worst crowd I've been a part of but come on...

Everything was fine with Milwaukee in 95 and 06....

Milwaukee is a hard working, blue collar town the focus should be on people not a city. I heard a lot of "Go Cub" random yelling etc...

About 10 guys ruined the night, where they are from... who cares........what they have in common is they are a$$holes
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    wow you're smart

east coasters think > midwesters

midwesters too smart to bother with east coasters cockiness and move on
    By responding to her, didn't you just "bother with her cockiness?"
    :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    where are the cubs going? i know where they usually go.........and it ain't the World Series.

See you in the NLCS.

hmmm, you seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase, "go _____."

it's actually a phrase of encouragement, not location or destination. just like I will be saying "go Bears" in December when we are 2-10.

and I will not argue that the cubs traditionally bite the big one, but I am pretty sure that we will not be seeing YOU in the NLCS.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
    iwasthere wrote:
    I'm in 10 club! Fuck you! I'm in 10 club!

still.... what did he do? I'm not dogging this guy til I know. Did venue security get a little outta line, which is very possible, or is the guy just a knucklehead.

While in line for the bathroom at the coffee shop next door after the show (we legitimized its use by purchasing a bottle of water and a black and white cookie) some girls were talking who said they were in the row right behind them. I hope I'm not spreading bad information, but they said "about 4 or 5 people got up to complain about the guy". So that could be why he was removed.
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
  • PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    As a Chicagoan, I am 99% sure that the bastards yelling were FIBS. These are a bunch of frat boy types from the Chicago suburbs.

I just hope this doesn't effect 2009 Alpine.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
    lowlight10 wrote:
    hmmm, you seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase, "go _____."

it's actually a phrase of encouragement, not location or destination. just like I will be saying "go Bears" in December when we are 2-10.

and I will not argue that the cubs traditionally bite the big one, but I am pretty sure that we will not eb seeing YOU in the NLCS.

I'm pretty sure CC and our staff can get by the East just as I'm sure the Cubs can get by the West just like last ye............wait nevermind.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    iwasthere wrote:
    How about this, did anyone here some guy yell "Where is your wife" just seconds before Arc?

I absolutely did hear that. Ugh... my wife was so angry by the end because it just did not stop. It really was like seeing someone constantly taking punches and having no way out.

I'm not going to condemn an entire city because of this, but I can't believe some people.

My thought was at the beginning of the show Ed could just say "hey, we're all here to have a good time but if you're going to ruin it for everyone else we'll get you out of here" and actually follow through on that. I know it's a bit uncomfortable, but it has to be done. It just gets out of hand so fast... I'm still shocked he played as long as he did all things considered.
  • Bibbs wrote:
    Forget Alpine Valley come up to The Big Top in Northern Wisconsin. We'll give you all the respect you need! or (The Deck MN) We have Northwoods "Hippie Class" up here and thrive on acoustical music.

Hell yeah to that!! Would LOVE to see Eddie solo at The Big Top:
    http://www.bigtop.org/
    Although didn't realize it's only 900 seat capacity, maybe a little small for him. But that crowd knows how to treat a guy with a guitar.

Also, I grew up in the midwest and now I've lived on both coasts - and this geographical bicker snicker is the dumbest thing on the board. (Strong statement I know!) Every town has both jackasses and rockstars. It's the beauty of the world.
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    As a Chicagoan, I am 99% sure that the bastards yelling were FIBS. These are a bunch of frat boy types from the Chicago suburbs.

I just hope this doesn't effect 2009 Alpine.
    Was the 2009 Alpine stuff for real anyway?
    Also, I grew up in the midwest and now I've lived on both coasts - and this geographical bicker snicker is the dumbest thing on the board. (Strong statement I know!) Every town has both jackasses and rockstars. It's the beauty of the world.

That is absolutely true... every area has them and unfortunately it only takes a few to make you really feel it.

That being said I will say that of my family/friends on the east coast... they seem to take pride in being rude. "it's the way things are done out east." I guess....
    Poncier wrote:
    By responding to her, didn't you just "bother with her cockiness?"
    :D

no ...that was me "moving on" ;)
  • pjfan9110pjfan9110 Posts: 145
    i thought the show was amazing...i was 4th row dead center...the setlist was awesome...with that being said and it's been said before...there were some people who really ruined a great evening...the idiot who was getting dragged out of the theater was sitting across the aisle from me...possibly the most annoying concert goer i've ever seen...he was hammered before he even got into the show...he apparently thought it would be cool to scream at the top of his lungs the lyrics to all the songs...and while singing along with songs is fine this was just obnoxious...i think ed just needs to ignore people...i think the people in the crowd are just trying to get a response to ed, and for the most part, ed gives them acknowledgement...besides that, the highlights for me had to be throw your arms around me, won't back down, gone, soon forget, and broken hearted...such a great show minus the drunk idiots...
    1998-06-27 Alpine Valley, WI / 2000-10-08 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-06-21 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-04-26 Mellon Arena, PA / 2004-10-03 Grand Rapids VFC, 2006-05-17 United Center, IL / 2006-06-29 Milwaukee, WI / 2006-06-30 Milwaukke, WI / 2011-09-03 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2011-09-04 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2013-07-19 Wrigley Field / 2014-10-19 St. Paul / 2014-10-20 Milwaukee, WI
    vedhead011 wrote:
    While in line for the bathroom at the coffee shop next door after the show (we legitimized its use by purchasing a bottle of water and a black and white cookie) some girls were talking who said they were in the row right behind them. I hope I'm not spreading bad information, but they said "about 4 or 5 people got up to complain about the guy". So that could be why he was removed.

I was I was 2 rows behind him. I still am trying to figure out why he was removed. He was just getting down. I admit a little too intense, but atleast he wasn't yelling stupid shit.
  • I went to the show with a professional touring musican, we talked alot about the yelling fans on the drive back to Chicago and he mentioned a few things that I found interesting from his perspective. He said that when they have encountered the drunk asshats they usually ignore or make fun of them, which is what Ed was trying to do last night, to a point... he also said that usually he would hope the fans would take it upon themselves to alert security or shut the "fan" up somehow so he wouldnt have to act like a prick or stop the show to deal with it.

I wouldnt have blammed Ed for cutting th gig short last night, it was so disrespectful the way some folks acted. Ed really crafted a wonderful show. I can't imagine the idiots who were drunk and yelling would appreciate someone comming to their office or place or work and yelling at them for 2 hours to "use Excel!" "F5! F5!" "Print that thing!"

I hope in chicago its better, I have a feeling it won't be.

by the way, Arc is just amazing.
    drsluggo wrote:
    Was the 2009 Alpine stuff for real anyway?

I figure a 2009 summer tour. AV would be a possibility.
    And I'd also like to say to the Wisconsin crowd blaming the Illinois people...

Just as you're trying to deflect blame and say don't let a few individuals ruin the reputation of all of you, please also don't let a few idiotic Illinoisans characterize your view of all of us. I was among a handful of people that were good soldiers last night from Illinois, and I was wearing a Cubs hat to boot. We're not all evil. And that goes for the obnoxious Cubs fans at Miller Park, too. A lot of us are just there to enjoy the game as well, support our team, and not take the opportunity to insult you guys. The louder the jerk, the more noticeable they're going to be. A quieter more respectful person is less likely to stick out in a crowd.

And I think that the half the state of Wisconsin as Cubs fans that someone else said may be a carryover from the Brewers AL days.
    it seemed to me after the guy got dragged out, some yellers got scared straight, too bad it had to come to that.
    vedhead011 wrote:
    And I'd also like to say to the Wisconsin crowd blaming the Illinois people...

Just as you're trying to deflect blame and say don't let a few individuals ruin the reputation of all of you, please also don't let a few idiotic Illinoisans characterize your view of all of us. I was among a handful of people that were good soldiers last night from Illinois, and I was wearing a Cubs hat to boot. We're not all evil. And that goes for the obnoxious Cubs fans at Miller Park, too. A lot of us are just there to enjoy the game as well, support our team, and not take the opportunity to insult you guys. The louder the jerk, the more noticeable they're going to be. A quieter more respectful person is less likely to stick out in a crowd.

And I think that the half the state of Wisconsin as Cubs fans that someone else said may be a carryover from the Brewers AL days.

You were wearing a Cubs hat, doesn't that define evil.

1908!