igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:
    Uh, ok.  Does Chuck Berry rock?  What about the Beatles, but their softer stuff?
    Chuck Berry? Of course. Johnny B Goode? Roll Over Beethoven?

The Beatles softer stuff should preclude them?
    So what about Yellow Moon and Buckle Up? 
    That’s my point!  Saying only stuff that “rocked” belongs in the RRHOF will quickly get you to a band that earnestly released Backspacer. “Rocked” isn’t the standard for what belongs in a club that is about “rock” in name only.
    Proves my point once again, the hall is not aptly named. 
    Rock is what you believe it is.  Some might say Iron Maiden is metal.  Which is not the same as rock. Which then doesn’t belong in the hall. Who truly gives a fuck.
    Obviously you, as you are arguing so vehemently. 
    Maiden is metal…. but boy do they rock. 
    Just calling balls and strikes over here.
    Balls and strikes hey. Sounds like what is happening to the HOF induction committee. Balls striking their chins judging by these selections. The only rock band has a member on the selection committee. 
    To be fair, this was Rage's 6th time on the ballot, so they've missed out a few times too. And it's my understanding that as a member on the selection committee, Morello constantly advocates for Iron Maiden to be inducted, as he did for KISS years ago.  
    RATM deserves to be in there, but not ahead of SG, Maiden, Janie’s Addiction and a bevy of others. Hell, PJ didn’t deserve to be in before them either. 
    Pearl Jam deserved to be first ballot HOF
    In the popular music hall of fame (which this is) definitely. 

In a true RnR HOF - no chance 
    They're not true rock?
    Of course they are. You stated they were first ballot HOFers. I disagree. They got in on first ballot because it’s a popular music HOF.
    There are too many important bands ignored by the committee. Album sales aren’t everything. 

PJ were important and popular
    😂😂
    I can’t continue to pretend that I care about this. The hall is a joke. I wish PJ would have told them to go fuck themselves with the “honour” the way others have. They did it with a Grammy, what is the difference. 

a chance to celebrate with their families and the people who have worked tirelessly for them.  there is a reason Stone named them all
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    edited May 2023
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:
    Uh, ok.  Does Chuck Berry rock?  What about the Beatles, but their softer stuff?
    Chuck Berry? Of course. Johnny B Goode? Roll Over Beethoven?

The Beatles softer stuff should preclude them?
    So what about Yellow Moon and Buckle Up? 
    That’s my point!  Saying only stuff that “rocked” belongs in the RRHOF will quickly get you to a band that earnestly released Backspacer. “Rocked” isn’t the standard for what belongs in a club that is about “rock” in name only.
    Proves my point once again, the hall is not aptly named. 
    Rock is what you believe it is.  Some might say Iron Maiden is metal.  Which is not the same as rock. Which then doesn’t belong in the hall. Who truly gives a fuck.
    Obviously you, as you are arguing so vehemently. 
    Maiden is metal…. but boy do they rock. 
    Just calling balls and strikes over here.
    Balls and strikes hey. Sounds like what is happening to the HOF induction committee. Balls striking their chins judging by these selections. The only rock band has a member on the selection committee. 
    To be fair, this was Rage's 6th time on the ballot, so they've missed out a few times too. And it's my understanding that as a member on the selection committee, Morello constantly advocates for Iron Maiden to be inducted, as he did for KISS years ago.  
    RATM deserves to be in there, but not ahead of SG, Maiden, Janie’s Addiction and a bevy of others. Hell, PJ didn’t deserve to be in before them either. 
    Pearl Jam deserved to be first ballot HOF
    In the popular music hall of fame (which this is) definitely. 

In a true RnR HOF - no chance 
    They're not true rock?
    Of course they are. You stated they were first ballot HOFers. I disagree. They got in on first ballot because it’s a popular music HOF.
    There are too many important bands ignored by the committee. Album sales aren’t everything. 

PJ were important and popular
    😂😂
    I can’t continue to pretend that I care about this. The hall is a joke. I wish PJ would have told them to go fuck themselves with the “honour” the way others have. They did it with a Grammy, what is the difference. 

Eddie has been involved with the Hall since about 93. He inducted four bands/artists 
    I miss igotid88
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited May 2023
    It either rocks or it doesn’t.  No argument really. Maiden and SG rock. George Michael, Willie Nelson, etc do not rock. They probably belong in a hall, just one that doesn’t rock 

Billy Ray Cyrus might be a "rockstar" in the world of country.

Put him in the country hall of fame, definitely. In the rock hall? Hard pass.

Hell, some 22 year old with 2.5 million TikTok followers might be a "rockstar" but can't sing worth a damn. They absolutely do not belong in Cleveland.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2023
    You can all name a bunch of reasons why they should care about an induction to a hall of sham. They are involved, they are older, it was for the crew, to influence future inductees, etc etc.  
    It all falls flat to me. Awards for art are completely subjective and have never meant anything to me. Awards shows of any kind are just butthole sniffing exercises.for industry suits. Always have been, always will be. 

TBH, the Grammy snub is one of my favourite PJ moments, because EV was right, it doesn’t mean anything. Neither does a selection to the hall. Most of my favourite artists aren’t in there, and it doesn’t change a thing. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    It’s probably already been said, but it feels like the RRHOF gets more attention over the bands they don’t let in. 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Gibson said:
    It’s probably already been said, but it feels like the RRHOF gets more attention over the bands they don’t let in. 
    the fact that the Smashing Pumpkins aren't in over bands like Green Day is a fucking joke. I lost all respect for the Hall when they didn't even put the Pumpkins on the ballot. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I agree that awards for art are pretty meaningless, especially when all they do is follow the trends, not the art itself. But the hall, while a joke for its induction process, I think to artists would be different. this is an acknowledgement not only of a piece of work, but their influence of other artists and and ability to stand the test of time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,957
    I know that I am very biased as a huge fan of Maiden, and I know that Steve Harris wouldn't accept an induction anyway.  But the numbers that Maiden have put up, with over 130 milllion album sales and 2500 live shows blow away most other bands whether they have been inducted or not.  Their list of influence over the past 40+ years probably blows away most bands as well.  It is a complete farce that they haven't been included.

But, they don't care, so we shouldn't care.....but there is always that little bit of me that does!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    lolobugg said:
    Gibson said:
    the fact that the Smashing Pumpkins aren't in over bands like Green Day is a fucking joke. I lost all respect for the Hall when they didn't even put the Pumpkins on the ballot. 
    I don't know. I'll take Pumpkins over GD any day of the week. But I think there's an argument for both. Pumpkins were massive when Melon Collie came out, but GD's  relevance/popularity/influence seems like it was longer
    edited May 2023
    mace1229 said:
    lolobugg said:
    Gibson said:
    I don't know. I'll take Pumpkins over GD any day of the week. But I think there's an argument for both. Pumpkins were massive when Melon Collie came out, but GD's  relevance/popularity/influence seems like it was longer

Good point. Green Day is popular with the sk8r crowd which seems to think they're a "punk rawk" band.

Meanwhile, bands like MxPx, NoFX and other real punk bands are probably never getting in, but I digress. What about the Meat Puppets and MC5? The Buzzcocks?

But hey, I'm sure Shania Twain has a better chance than anything Fat Wreck Chords ever was involved with.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    IT WOULD BE A BLASPHEMY IF SOUNDGARDEN GETS IN AND NOT MAIDEN OR  JOY DIVISION FROM THAT LIST 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Kate Bush in uk was massive in the 80s. Probably made more relevant by t.v programmes now
     Fully agree 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    As I said earlier, I’ll go to Fat Mike’s Punk Museum in Vegas. Green Day is in there, even though they profess they are not a punk band. 
    As I said earlier, I’ll go to Fat Mike’s Punk Museum in Vegas. Green Day is in there, even though they profess they are not a punk band. 

The first rule of punk is if you're pop, you're not punk, right?

Green Day definitely started punk, but Dookie and after? You can't say September is a punk song. Eyeliner doesn't make you punk, Avril.
    Green Day professes they aren't punk? I would agree, but shocking they'd say that about themselves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

The first rule of punk is if you're pop, you're not punk, right?

Green Day definitely started punk, but Dookie and after? You can't say September is a punk song. Eyeliner doesn't make you punk, Avril.
    got that right, Skater Boi
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Green Day professes they aren't punk? I would agree, but shocking they'd say that about themselves. 
    It’s what Fat Mike said in a recent YouTube video interview I watched with that guy that does the Punk Rock MBA channel.
    mace1229 said:
    lolobugg said:
    Gibson said:
    I don't have a problem with Green day per se but for them to get in before the Pumpkins and Soundgarden just isn't right IMO. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

mace1229 said:
    lolobugg said:
    Gibson said:

Good point. Green Day is popular with the sk8r crowd which seems to think they're a "punk rawk" band.

Meanwhile, bands like MxPx, NoFX and other real punk bands are probably never getting in, but I digress. What about the Meat Puppets and MC5? The Buzzcocks?

But hey, I'm sure Shania Twain has a better chance than anything Fat Wreck Chords ever was involved with.
    I saw MxPx in a high school gym for 10 bucks........ now that is PUNK ROCK!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Billy Corgan is an insufferable media whore. No one likes to hear themselves talk more than that guy. That HOF acceptance speech would be the most self-congratulating piece of drivel ever recorded lol

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2023
    People talking about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
    Billy Corgan is an insufferable media whore. No one likes to hear themselves talk more than that guy. That HOF acceptance speech would be the most self-congratulating piece of drivel ever recorded lol

i was really critical of him for this exact thing for a very long time; recently all the interviews I've read have been a lot less "ME ME ME WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE LOVE ME" and more "this is my art, like it or don't like it". FINALLY. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i was really critical of him for this exact thing for a very long time; recently all the interviews I've read have been a lot less "ME ME ME WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE LOVE ME" and more "this is my art, like it or don't like it". FINALLY. 
    Yes, and he is finally talking good about his peers. He was playing the heel for a long time and it really made him come off as pretentious and smug. He actually hung out with Daniel Johns from Silverchair at the Australia concert he played a few weeks ago. Back in the day, he wouldn't be caught dead talking to the singer from Silverchair. He has mellowed in his old age. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

do you think he was playing, though? It came off to me as legitimately feeling like he wasn't getting the respect he thought he deserved. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mace1229 said:
    lolobugg said:
    Gibson said:

mxpx and nofx, no.  MC5 and the Meat Puppets?  Yes. Buzzcocks earlier stuff moved people.  I didn't bother with the reforming.

I love chatting about music because everyone is right in a way.  
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

I hope at the awards ceremony the president of the company comes up and tells the world they have finally made a decision to change the name to Music Hall of Fame cause THAT makes a lot of sense.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    demetrios said:

I hope at the awards ceremony the president of the company comes up and tells the world they have finally made a decision to change the name to Music Hall of Fame cause THAT makes a lot of sense.
    You can be Punk and not be punk rock, it's an idea.

People need to stop worrying about the term Rock n roll.  It's a music museum at the end of the day that Iron Maiden still isn't in.  It's also a museum sponsored by a magazine that thought Def Leppards Pyromania was garbage and reviewed it poorly.  It only sold 6 million copied upon it's initial release.

So relax.  Enjoy the museum for what it is.  An eclectic mix of really good music with a funny name...
    agreed. the name makes no difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

The defending of the “hall” is baffling.