Options

How the FUCK……

Comments

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,076
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:
    Uh, ok.  Does Chuck Berry rock?  What about the Beatles, but their softer stuff?
    Chuck Berry? Of course. Johnny B Goode? Roll Over Beethoven?

The Beatles softer stuff should preclude them?
    So what about Yellow Moon and Buckle Up? 
    That’s my point!  Saying only stuff that “rocked” belongs in the RRHOF will quickly get you to a band that earnestly released Backspacer. “Rocked” isn’t the standard for what belongs in a club that is about “rock” in name only.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:
    Uh, ok.  Does Chuck Berry rock?  What about the Beatles, but their softer stuff?

That’s my point!  Saying only stuff that “rocked” belongs in the RRHOF will quickly get you to a band that earnestly released Backspacer. “Rocked” isn’t the standard for what belongs in a club that is about “rock” in name only.
    Proves my point once again, the hall is not aptly named. 
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

Rock is what you believe it is.  Some might say Iron Maiden is metal.  Which is not the same as rock. Which then doesn’t belong in the hall. Who truly gives a fuck.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    ZoSoTim said:
    Did you vote? Its all voting based and they allow ballot stuffing. Flawed system.  
    The fan vote means absolutely nothing. Soundgarden was in the Top 5 and still got left out.
    True! Whats the point of fan vote then? 
    Engagement
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

Rock is what you believe it is.  Some might say Iron Maiden is metal.  Which is not the same as rock. Which then doesn’t belong in the hall. Who truly gives a fuck.
    Obviously you, as you are arguing so vehemently. 
    Maiden is metal…. but boy do they rock. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

See now I would classify metal as a "sub genre" of rock. Same for punk or new wave "grunge" or rockabilly or several others, but still under the "rock" umbrella.
    It gets blurry with some of the musicians inducted. Some are clearly straight country or straight pop.  Dolly Parton herself last year after being nominated said she didn't think she should have been, and that maybe she would have to do a rock album. But a guy like Johnny Cash, mainly a country artist definitely had cross over into the rock world to an extent.

Rap/hip hop is closer to falling under the rock umbrella than some of the other musical genres, and obviously many well known hip hop artists have used samples of famous rock songs.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

Just calling balls and strikes over here.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    Rage before Iron Maiden? That makes it worse than worse.

They need to do what MLB does. After so many years of not getting in players get placed into a seperate hall of fame pool.

For example. The New York Dolls, one of the most influential bands of all time are not in the hall of fame. Without them there would be no sex pistols, the clash, Aerosmith or Guns N roses just to name a few. At this point they are never going to get in when they go up against modern era finalists. They should be placed in a "pool" of other artists that have been nominated that have been passed over & every year the Hall should select one or two of those bands to also be inducted into the hall of fame.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. And yes, the NY Dolls with David Johansen on lead vocals was extremely influential. There definitely weren't too many bands dressing in drag back in the mid-1970's.

Another overlooked band IMO is the British glam rock band The Sweet. Many of the 1980's LA glam rock scene have expressed that The Sweet was a huge influence on them. Vince Neal, Tommy Lee, Bret Michaels, C.C. Deville, and Lars Ulrich (okay, Metallica is not really LA glam rock) have noted how influential The Sweet was on them in their formative years growing up. It may because The Sweet were much more popular in Europe than in the US, although they had several hit songs in the US (Fox On the Run, Love is like Oxygen, Ballroom Blitz, Little Willy). Maybe someday they will be recognized for their influence but since nobody under the age of 45 has ever heard of them I doubt they will.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

Balls and strikes hey. Sounds like what is happening to the HOF induction committee. Balls striking their chins judging by these selections. The only rock band has a member on the selection committee. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    vant0037 said:
    But where the argument gets dumb and loses traction is when people mask their tastes with semantics, and pretend it’s something more interesting.  Do people really care that much about the “rock and roll half of fame” allowing non-rock artists in, only because of some generic naming convention? (Hint: rock and pop merged decades ago!).  Or is it just that non-rock artists have gotten in before your own favorite artists?

if it’s truly the former, then I got news for you: people also drive on parkways and park on driveways.  Modern livin’ is tufffff!  Cope my dudes, cope.
    For me, I just can't stand any hip-hop or rap, and seems very far disconnected from rock to me.
    Older country, like Willie or Cash, definitely has a lot more in common with rock and has influenced it a lot more, so I can see them including those. I was actually surprised to hear Willie is only getting in this year, when Tupac got in years ago. 
    I can't stand the music and don't see a connection, so its out of place to me. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

Balls and strikes hey. Sounds like what is happening to the HOF induction committee. Balls striking their chins judging by these selections. The only rock band has a member on the selection committee. 
    To be fair, this was Rage's 6th time on the ballot, so they've missed out a few times too. And it's my understanding that as a member on the selection committee, Morello constantly advocates for Iron Maiden to be inducted, as he did for KISS years ago.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

To be fair, this was Rage's 6th time on the ballot, so they've missed out a few times too. And it's my understanding that as a member on the selection committee, Morello constantly advocates for Iron Maiden to be inducted, as he did for KISS years ago.  
    RATM deserves to be in there, but not ahead of SG, Maiden, Janie’s Addiction and a bevy of others. Hell, PJ didn’t deserve to be in before them either. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    out of the 5 you've listed above, my order of who should get in/have gotten in:

1. Rage
    2. Jane's
    3. PJ
    4. Maiden
    5. SG
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102

They need to do what MLB does. After so many years of not getting in players get placed into a seperate hall of fame pool.

For example. The New York Dolls, one of the most influential bands of all time are not in the hall of fame. Without them there would be no sex pistols, the clash, Aerosmith or Guns N roses just to name a few. At this point they are never going to get in when they go up against modern era finalists. They should be placed in a "pool" of other artists that have been nominated that have been passed over & every year the Hall should select one or two of those bands to also be inducted into the hall of fame.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. And yes, the NY Dolls with David Johansen on lead vocals was extremely influential. There definitely weren't too many bands dressing in drag back in the mid-1970's.

Another overlooked band IMO is the British glam rock band The Sweet. Many of the 1980's LA glam rock scene have expressed that The Sweet was a huge influence on them. Vince Neal, Tommy Lee, Bret Michaels, C.C. Deville, and Lars Ulrich (okay, Metallica is not really LA glam rock) have noted how influential The Sweet was on them in their formative years growing up. It may because The Sweet were much more popular in Europe than in the US, although they had several hit songs in the US (Fox On the Run, Love is like Oxygen, Ballroom Blitz, Little Willy). Maybe someday they will be recognized for their influence but since nobody under the age of 45 has ever heard of them I doubt they will.
    So influential bands.  Man there are a bunch.

Minor Threat, started a genre of Straight Edge.  Misfits started Thrash Metal.  Dead Kennedys started or furthered Punk. Joy Division started Emo and brooding music.  Sarah McClaglhin made women a force and started the Lilith Fair.

So many more I can list.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

RATM deserves to be in there, but not ahead of SG, Maiden, Janie’s Addiction and a bevy of others. Hell, PJ didn’t deserve to be in before them either. 
    Pearl Jam deserved to be first ballot HOF
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,816
    edited May 2023
    That's bullshit...at least Rage is in though
    Right on .still SoundGarden deserves to get in 10 years ago or whenever eligible 
    Post edited by trees on

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    Maybe they're waiting for 2027 to induct Soundgarden and Audioslave at the same time
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

In the popular music hall of fame (which this is) definitely. 

In a true RnR HOF - no chance 
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

They're not true rock?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

They're not true rock?
    Of course they are. You stated they were first ballot HOFers. I disagree. They got in on first ballot because it’s a popular music HOF.
    There are too many important bands ignored by the committee. Album sales aren’t everything. 

• Options

1. Rage
    2. Jane's
    3. PJ
    4. Maiden
    5. SG
    I can't stand Rage, so its hard for me to be a fair judge. But you think Jane's deserves it more than PJ? I'd say no way on that (and Rage too, but I just don't like them).
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

1. Rage
    2. Jane's
    3. PJ
    4. Maiden
    5. SG
    I can't stand Rage, so its hard for me to be a fair judge. But you think Jane's deserves it more than PJ? I'd say no way on that (and Rage too, but I just don't like them).
    our own criteria on why a band deserves to get in is obviously subjective, but I consider Jane's more influential and groundbreaking than PJ (even though I listen to PJ about a thousand times more often). and that's my main criterium. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

They're not true rock?
    Of course they are. You stated they were first ballot HOFers. I disagree. They got in on first ballot because it’s a popular music HOF.
    There are too many important bands ignored by the committee. Album sales aren’t everything. 

PJ were important and popular
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609

So influential bands.  Man there are a bunch.

Minor Threat, started a genre of Straight Edge.  Misfits started Thrash Metal.  Dead Kennedys started or furthered Punk. Joy Division started Emo and brooding music.  Sarah McClaglhin made women a force and started the Lilith Fair.

So many more I can list.

All of your suggestions should be in! We must always honor those that have come before.
  • Options
    Weezer started nerd rock!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    mace1229 said:
    Weezer started nerd rock!
    Talking Heads?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    Someone define Rock&Roll! More like a hall of bullshit 
    Dumbfounded about Warren Zevon.  

• Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    Someone define Rock&Roll! More like a hall of bullshit 
    Dumbfounded about Warren Zevon.  

Me too
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

They're not true rock?

😂😂
    I can’t continue to pretend that I care about this. The hall is a joke. I wish PJ would have told them to go fuck themselves with the “honour” the way others have. They did it with a Grammy, what is the difference. 

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:
    Poncier said:
    vant0037 said:

They're not true rock?

😂😂
    I can’t continue to pretend that I care about this. The hall is a joke. I wish PJ would have told them to go fuck themselves with the “honour” the way others have. They did it with a Grammy, what is the difference. 

about 30 years. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com