How the FUCK……

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited May 2023
    They should do one act a month. Make a special night of it, similar to the music cares benefit for the Grammys. Set up performances by the inductee maybe some covers by other artists. You can knock out 12 acts out a year. Small theater in LA or NY. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I said this in another thread, but it bears repeating: "rock n roll" hall of fame is a misnomer. it's never been exclusively rock. it's been all genres, and people that predated but influenced rock artists. 

pop and country artists are going to get in. 

the criteria is "influence and significance to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll". But I think in this context "rock and roll" just means "popular music". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

this is interesting: Starting in 2012, fans could vote on a fan ballot with an equal weight to the other ballots

EACH YEAR, THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION'S NOMINATING COMMITTEE SELECTS THE GROUP OF ARTISTS NOMINATED IN THE PERFORMER CATEGORY.

Ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class. Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Hoagie BreathHoagie Breath Philly Yo Posts: 105
    FC28207 said:
    Anyone questioning the Rock attitude and Rock career of Missy Elliott is clearly a racist and hates inclusion
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

The only reason Missy Eliot is in, and not only in, but first ballot in, is because the RRHOF had gone overboard with the whole inclusion thing. They fear being labeled by people like you as "racist", plain and simple. As soon as the list of this years nominees was announced I said she was going to get in. Even made 100 bucks because I bet a friend who said she had no chance lol. 

I'm not say Missy Eliot doesn't belong in the RRHOF. But first ballot inductee? No fucking way. Thats a real short list, an no, she doesn't deserve to be on it. When you start giving out awards based on skin color, gender identity, anything other than merit, it loses a little bit of value each time it occurs.

Rock N' Roll Hall of Lame.
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '96 Columbia 09.24, NYC 09.29, Hartford 10.02
    '98 DC 06.14, Camden 08.28, Camden 08.29, E. Rutherford 09.08, NYC 09.10, NYC 09.11, Hartford 09.13, Columbia 09.18
    '00 Camden 09.01, Camden 09.02, Columbia 09.04
    '03 Philly 04.23, Camden 07.05, Camden 07.06, NYC 07.09, Hershey 07.12, Holmdel 07.14
    '04 Reading 10.01, DC 10.11
    '05 AC 09.30, AC 10.01, Philly 10.03, Chicago 10.05
    '06 NYC 05.05, Camden 05.27, Camden 05.28, DC 05.30, E. Rutherford 06.03
    '08 Camden 06.19, Camden 06.20, DC 06.22, NYC 06.24, NYC 06.25
    '09 Philly 10.27, Philly 10.28, Philly 10.30, Philly 10.31
    '10 Hartford 05.15, Newark 05.18, NYC 05.20, NYC 05.21
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '13 Philly 10.21, Philly 10.22
    '16 Philly 04.28, Philly 04.29
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

• vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    I miss when the ire was being directed at things that matter, like lotteries, seat reassignments, sandwiches, Greta Van Fleet and ten club.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • GruntruckGruntruck Phoenix, AZ Posts: 17
    Agree - Why Soundgarden and Iron Maiden are not in yet is just a joke. The folks who make these final decisions most likely don't have a clue that Maiden will sell out any stadium in the freckin world 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    BV84003 said:
    Honestly, Kate Bush is one of the most deserving artist to get in on that ballot. Her first album she wrote when she was 15. Most may not like it or accept, but she is deserving to get in.
    She got in because of Stranger Things...
    She's been nominated several times in the last 5 years, way before Stranger Things was a thing.
    Aaaaaand she got in this year because she was a thing again from Stranger Things...  Connect the dots man.
    FC28207 said:
    Anyone questioning the Rock attitude and Rock career of Missy Elliott is clearly a racist and hates inclusion
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

The only reason Missy Eliot is in, and not only in, but first ballot in, is because the RRHOF had gone overboard with the whole inclusion thing. They fear being labeled by people like you as "racist", plain and simple. As soon as the list of this years nominees was announced I said she was going to get in. Even made 100 bucks because I bet a friend who said she had no chance lol. 

I'm not say Missy Eliot doesn't belong in the RRHOF. But first ballot inductee? No fucking way. Thats a real short list, an no, she doesn't deserve to be on it. When you start giving out awards based on skin color, gender identity, anything other than merit, it loses a little bit of value each time it occurs.

Damn racist.  How dare you, lol.
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

I would argue the hall doesn't give two fucks about inclusion. look at the list of inductees the first few years. 99% black people. 

I am not a fan of hip hop whatsoever, but I can recognize that Missy Elliot is a massively influential female artist and trailblazer in the genre. if they are including all genres into the rock hall moving forward, she absolutely deserves first ballot. 

I would argue even more than Maiden or SG. They are huge names in music, but they were far from as original or inspiring. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

I would argue the hall doesn't give two fucks about inclusion. look at the list of inductees the first few years. 99% black people. 

I am not a fan of hip hop whatsoever, but I can recognize that Missy Elliot is a massively influential female artist and trailblazer in the genre. if they are including all genres into the rock hall moving forward, she absolutely deserves first ballot. 

I would argue even more than Maiden or SG. They are huge names in music, but they were far from as original or inspiring. 
    I'll say this about Missy Elliott, If she gets in then Timbaland should.
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

Why not just say Missy Eliot is a massively influential artist and trailblazer in the genre? Then its a matter of opinion and people can have a debate on that.

But as soon as "female" is inserted into the statement, well, now the door is open for someone to call another anti-feminist if they don't agree with her induction.

Insert "black female" into the statement, double whammy. And it becomes a debate most people will shy away from these days.

Race, gender, gender identity are thrown into statements these days more often then not, when they are not needed. It closes the door on a debate. And when we do that, they lose their meaning and their value. Like the little boy who cried wolf. So when a true racist, anti-feminist, homophobe, etc.  is deserving of being called out as one, no one will listen.
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '98 DC 06.14, Camden 08.28, Camden 08.29, E. Rutherford 09.08, NYC 09.10, NYC 09.11, Hartford 09.13, Columbia 09.18
    '03 Philly 04.23, Camden 07.05, Camden 07.06, NYC 07.09, Hershey 07.12, Holmdel 07.14
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

Why not just say Missy Eliot is a massively influential artist and trailblazer in the genre? Then its a matter of opinion and people can have a debate on that.

But as soon as "female" is inserted into the statement, well, now the door is open for someone to call another anti-feminist if they don't agree with her induction.

Insert "black female" into the statement, double whammy. And it becomes a debate most people will shy away from these days.

Race, gender, gender identity are thrown into statements these days more often then not, when they are not needed. It closes the door on a debate. And when we do that, they lose their meaning and their value. Like the little boy who cried wolf. So when a true racist, anti-feminist, homophobe, etc.  is deserving of being called out as one, no one will listen.
    because it's relevant. she was one of the first female rappers that hit the masses. it gives visibility to others who are like her. 

stop debating idiots. problem solved. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Stranger Things did boost Kate's chances. But it's not like she wasn't nominated before. Soundgarden needs to make a documentary and be in people's minds. 
    I miss igotid88
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

Absolutely correct.  
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

because it's relevant. she was one of the first female rappers that hit the masses. it gives visibility to others who are like her. 

Salt-N-Pepa came way before Missy Eliot. They were the first female rappers to hit the masses. They paved the road for all future female rappers including Missy Eliot. Since we are now debating female rappers. 

We weren't before. We were debating the validity of the inductees. 
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

edited May 2023
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

Salt-N-Pepa came way before Missy Eliot. They were the first female rappers to hit the masses. They paved the road for all future female rappers including Missy Eliot. Since we are now debating female rappers. 

I may be wrong but they didn’t write any of their own music, lyrics, did they? 
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

To be honest I have no idea. It's just an opinion that is up for debate I guess lol.

I'll save you the time though of fact checking it and take the loss on this one. I made it to prove a point.
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

To be honest I have no idea. It's just an opinion that is up for debate I guess lol.

I'll save you the time though of fact checking it and take the loss on this one. I made it to prove a point.
    Oh I wasn’t trying to be shitty, I promise.  I only know what ME has done so that’s why I asked.  It’s not a contest….I wouldn’t take the time to look it up..I just thought you knew. 
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

Oh I wasn’t trying to be shitty, I promise.  I only know what ME has done so that’s why I asked.  It’s not a contest….I wouldn’t take the time to look it up..I just thought you knew. 
    It's all good. :-)
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    But Missy and Timbalands music pushed what hip hop could do way forward. It was visionary shit. 

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

I'll say this about Missy Elliott, If she gets in then Timbaland should.
    you m fucker!!! 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    So name it the Museum of Popular Music. 

Most people know when an artist rocks, and when they don’t. A lot of artists influence, but they don’t rock. Therefore, this isn’t the rock n roll hall of fame. 

edited May 2023
    But where the argument gets dumb and loses traction is when people mask their tastes with semantics, and pretend it’s something more interesting.  Do people really care that much about the “rock and roll half of fame” allowing non-rock artists in, only because of some generic naming convention? (Hint: rock and pop merged decades ago!).  Or is it just that non-rock artists have gotten in before your own favorite artists?

if it’s truly the former, then I got news for you: people also drive on parkways and park on driveways.  Modern livin’ is tufffff!  Cope my dudes, cope.
    Post edited by vant0037 on
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    It either rocks or it doesn’t.  No argument really. Maiden and SG rock. George Michael, Willie Nelson, etc do not rock. They probably belong in a hall, just one that doesn’t rock 
    Uh, ok.  Does Chuck Berry rock?  What about the Beatles, but their softer stuff?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    FC28207 said:
    Guess I'm a racist lol.

they did, but I wouldn't put them and Missy in the same category. Missy was/is on a different level. I think she paved a different way than they did. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It either rocks or it doesn’t.  No argument really. Maiden and SG rock. George Michael, Willie Nelson, etc do not rock. They probably belong in a hall, just one that doesn’t rock 
    look at all the winners starting in 1983, when the hall started. very, very few of them "rocked". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

look at all the winners starting in 1983, when the hall started. very, very few of them "rocked". 
    Exactly. I will stand by my sentiment that it is not an aptly named hall. Leave a rock hall to the rockers.

I’m going to Fat Mike’s Punk Museum in Vegas before I’d ever visit that Hall of Shame anyways.  If a hall is truly “all inclusive” it wouldn’t have the sham of the voting to get in. That’s how Fat Mike has set up his punk museum. If you want to be a part of it, send him something and you will be honoured in the place. That museum is a true rock n roll hall of fame, in my humble opinion. Can’t wait to find time to get down there and see it. Apparently, punk legends give you the tour and there is a music room where you can play punk icons instruments. 
    Beautiful… and it rocks.  
    vant0037 said:
    Uh, ok.  Does Chuck Berry rock?  What about the Beatles, but their softer stuff?
    Uh, ok. You should have started with AABA if you wanted to alphabetically quiz me on every artist in history that rocked or didn’t. Cmon Man! 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    vant0037 said:
    Chuck Berry? Of course. Johnny B Goode? Roll Over Beethoven?

The Beatles softer stuff should preclude them?
    So what about Yellow Moon and Buckle Up? 
    This weekend we rock Portland