How the FUCK……

Comments

• HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,468
    When I went to the R&R HOF last summer there’s an area to vote who should get in next. Soundgarden was top 3 voted for
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    The whole hall of fame thing is silly.  All very subjective.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    We know they are awesome. Eventually others will. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,920
    edited May 2023
    There should be 9 or so hall of fames of equal stature:

- Classical HoF (modern film & TV composers eligible after 25 yrs)
    - Blues HoF
    - Jazz HoF
    - Country HoF (already exists)
    - Pop Music HoF (include R&B)
    - Rock n' Roll HoF (already exists, needs Metal)
    - Hip Hop HoF 
    - Electronic HoF (Kraftwerk first)
    - Songwriter's HoF

If you did well in each genre, you can be in multiple. If you're a hybrid act, you can be in multiple. 

Bob Dylan can be in Country, Pop & Rock. RATM can be in Rock & Hip-Hop. Billy Joel's classical album stinks, so he can be in Pop & Rock lol.

Willie Nelson feels like royalty for Country & Pop, but never did anything "Rock". Missy can have Pop & Hip-Hop, love her. Bernie Taupin should've gone in with Elton, but didn't. So, songwriting HoF it is.

Soundgarden was there for the beginning & end of grunge. Something that kept Rock alive after almost being destroyed by hair bands. They are OVERDUE.

Lumping everyone into the RnR HoF seems lazy & feels like we're not acknowledging how important each artist is to their most associated genre.

If they're gonna keep doing it the way they're doing it now, they should just put everybody into the pop music hall of fame 🙃
    Post edited by Go Animal on
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    FC28207 said:
    Anyone questioning the Rock attitude and Rock career of Missy Elliott is clearly a racist and hates inclusion
    I assume this is a sarcastic post
  • motleygunnermotleygunner Arizona Posts: 132
    Don't forget that Jeff Ament wore a shirt with all the bands he felt should be in but weren't at that point when PJ was enshrined:

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I don't agree with a lot of that shirt, but there are a few where I think "they aren't in yet?".
    And I didn't see SG on there either?
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Soundgarden is middle left.
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    Rage before Iron Maiden? That makes it worse than worse.

They need to do what MLB does. After so many years of not getting in players get placed into a seperate hall of fame pool.

For example. The New York Dolls, one of the most influential bands of all time are not in the hall of fame. Without them there would be no sex pistols, the clash, Aerosmith or Guns N roses just to name a few. At this point they are never going to get in when they go up against modern era finalists. They should be placed in a "pool" of other artists that have been nominated that have been passed over & every year the Hall should select one or two of those bands to also be inducted into the hall of fame.
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,167
    edited May 2023

My favorite part of this is the Rock Hall advertising/selling soundgarden merch and then snubbing them. I know SG had to sign off on it and both will get their money buts its just ironic  
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,004
    The stupid part of the voting is Missy Elliot was like dead last in fan votes but gets in anyway, so what's the whole point of the fan vote then?
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    Missy Elliot over Warren Zevon........WOW.

A true travesty.
    Ridiculous!  RRHOF has lost the plot.
  • motleygunnermotleygunner Arizona Posts: 132
    MKSNYC said:

A true travesty.
    Kate Bush got in because one of her songs is used on TikTok all the time... There's no other reasonable explanation after all these years of her not even being on the radar. 

Who gets in is clearly guided by factors well beyond what you'd expect to get in to a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I tuned in when PJ was a part of it along with some other bands in other years but it's a joke otherwise... 

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    bobear05 said:
    How the FUCK does Soundgarden not get elected to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame???
    HOW?
    Because they have to be politically correct and put people from every genre in these days.  I mean Willie Nelson is great but come on rock and roll hall of fame?  Kate Bush really?  I mean I liked Jeff's shirt there but most of those groups should not be a full on music hall of fame. a lot of them would be hall of pretty good.  Most of those groups are the Harold Baines of the rock and roll world.

agree with the person above saying they should start breaking it into different categories and maybe have one or two in each categories each year.   and have different fan votes by categories.  there is no reason people should be voting for Soundgarden vs.  Soul Artists, Rap Artists, and Country artists.   That way you can start to define groups more by their peers.  How do you determine Soundgarden vs.  Garth Brooks you know.  At least if you do it by different categories it's more of a fair comparison.   Group A is a rock hall of famer well is Soundgarden better than that group?  Is Soundgarden better than Motley Crue or Iron Maiden?  At least those would be fair comparisons.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    If you're one of big rock bands that had insane popularity and influence I think you get in right away (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc..).    Soundgarden and AIC weren't quite as big or influential.   I love them a lot, but I'd consider them middle-popularity kind of thing.

With those kind of bands the RRHOF seems to wait a bit to induct them.  Which makes sense.  If they inducted everyone right away, they're going to have no middle to big rock acts to induct down the road, and draw attention to their ceremonies.

They'll get in there, but it's pretty normal for the RRHOF to take this approach.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    That’s the correct take
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Also, just change the name to Music HOF. Genres are so dumb. 
    pjhawks said:
    bobear05 said:
    How the FUCK does Soundgarden not get elected to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame???
    HOW?
    Because they have to be politically correct and put people from every genre in these days.  I mean Willie Nelson is great but come on rock and roll hall of fame?  Kate Bush really?  I mean I liked Jeff's shirt there but most of those groups should not be a full on music hall of fame. a lot of them would be hall of pretty good.  Most of those groups are the Harold Baines of the rock and roll world.

agree with the person above saying they should start breaking it into different categories and maybe have one or two in each categories each year.   and have different fan votes by categories.  there is no reason people should be voting for Soundgarden vs.  Soul Artists, Rap Artists, and Country artists.   That way you can start to define groups more by their peers.  How do you determine Soundgarden vs.  Garth Brooks you know.  At least if you do it by different categories it's more of a fair comparison.   Group A is a rock hall of famer well is Soundgarden better than that group?  Is Soundgarden better than Motley Crue or Iron Maiden?  At least those would be fair comparisons.  
    Willie makes a lot more sense to me than people like Tupac. At least willie covered a Pearl Jam song. 
    Zod said:
    If you're one of big rock bands that had insane popularity and influence I think you get in right away (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc..).    Soundgarden and AIC weren't quite as big or influential.   I love them a lot, but I'd consider them middle-popularity kind of thing.

With those kind of bands the RRHOF seems to wait a bit to induct them.  Which makes sense.  If they inducted everyone right away, they're going to have no middle to big rock acts to induct down the road, and draw attention to their ceremonies.

They'll get in there, but it's pretty normal for the RRHOF to take this approach.
    I agree with this. But SG has been eligible for 8 or 9 years, so it wouldn't be right away. And while I don't think Chris' other works may not be HoF worthy, combine all his work together and he definitely deserves to be there. I think it would be an appropriate nod to just Chris to have SG in sooner than later.
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    And New Order! 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2023
    MKSNYC said:

A true travesty.
    Kate Bush got in because one of her songs is used on TikTok all the time... There's no other reasonable explanation after all these years of her not even being on the radar. 

Who gets in is clearly guided by factors well beyond what you'd expect to get in to a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I tuned in when PJ was a part of it along with some other bands in other years but it's a joke otherwise... 

Really it was because her song (Running Up That Hill) was on Stranger Things last year, and young people went bananas for it, and it spread everywhere, like TikTok. And then blammo, she's inducted.
    Running Up That Hill is a really fucking good song though. I'll give her that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    bobear05 said:
    HOW?
    Purely speculation but I would think this may be a difficult group to honor without his wife accepting with them(?).  And which daughter should go?  Just speculating.  
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    RNR Hall has been a joke for the last 5 years. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    bobear05 said:
    HOW?

At least Missy Elliott...wait...what?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    bobear05 said:
    HOW?

At least Missy Elliott...wait...what?
    someone post the drunk driving scene from 40 Year Old Virgin

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    ComeToTX said:
    One rock band got in. Lol. 
    If that doesn’t convince people the Hall is a joke, nothing will. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Go Animal said:
    There should be 9 or so hall of fames of equal stature:

- Classical HoF (modern film & TV composers eligible after 25 yrs)
    - Blues HoF
    - Jazz HoF
    - Country HoF (already exists)
    - Pop Music HoF (include R&B)
    - Rock n' Roll HoF (already exists, needs Metal)
    - Hip Hop HoF 
    - Electronic HoF (Kraftwerk first)
    - Songwriter's HoF

If you did well in each genre, you can be in multiple. If you're a hybrid act, you can be in multiple. 

Bob Dylan can be in Country, Pop & Rock. RATM can be in Rock & Hip-Hop. Billy Joel's classical album stinks, so he can be in Pop & Rock lol.

Willie Nelson feels like royalty for Country & Pop, but never did anything "Rock". Missy can have Pop & Hip-Hop, love her. Bernie Taupin should've gone in with Elton, but didn't. So, songwriting HoF it is.

Soundgarden was there for the beginning & end of grunge. Something that kept Rock alive after almost being destroyed by hair bands. They are OVERDUE.

Lumping everyone into the RnR HoF seems lazy & feels like we're not acknowledging how important each artist is to their most associated genre.

If they're gonna keep doing it the way they're doing it now, they should just put everybody into the pop music hall of fame 🙃
    There is a Songwriters Hall of Fame
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Rage before Iron Maiden? That makes it worse than worse.

They need to do what MLB does. After so many years of not getting in players get placed into a seperate hall of fame pool.

For example. The New York Dolls, one of the most influential bands of all time are not in the hall of fame. Without them there would be no sex pistols, the clash, Aerosmith or Guns N roses just to name a few. At this point they are never going to get in when they go up against modern era finalists. They should be placed in a "pool" of other artists that have been nominated that have been passed over & every year the Hall should select one or two of those bands to also be inducted into the hall of fame.
    They do do that. It's call musical excellence or some other name. That's how they got Nile Rodgers in after Chic was nominated 11 times and never got in. And LL and Judas Priest got in the same way. This year Chaka Khan
    I miss igotid88
  • qcreteqcrete Posts: 133
    Iron Maiden got snubbed also - 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    ComeToTX said:
    One rock band got in. Lol. 
    If that doesn’t convince people the Hall is a joke, nothing will. 

I fear it'll get worse before it gets better.

At the rate things are going, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys and Taylor Swift are shoe-ins. Heck, Justin Timberlake could also be in as a solo artist.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"