Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    A quick word on masks. It's never been about a magic bullet. It's always been about mitigating risk of infection. 
  • Options
    14%, 2, 0. Like dots.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,766
    3days said:
    A quick word on masks. It's never been about a magic bullet. It's always been about mitigating risk of infection. 

Exactly.  So simple.  And very helpful during a pandemic or even during normal flu season. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

Exactly.  So simple.  And very helpful during a pandemic or even during normal flu season. 
    Along with surgery or a trip to the dentist.

Although to be fair, when I had surgery in May, I insisted the surgeon not wear a a mask because they are useless and I don’t want a virtue signaling woke surgeon touching me. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

Although to be fair, when I had surgery in May, I insisted the surgeon not wear a a mask because they are useless and I don’t want a virtue signaling woke surgeon touching me. 

And no Democrat surgeons, damn it!  :tongue:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

lol, this was funny.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    3days said:
    It's really amazing that people cannot grasp this. It's black-and-white; it either stops it 100% or it's worthless.

"Mitigate" needs to be a more prominent word...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

Worse, they might lose consciousness and pass out right on top of you and plunge their scalpel into your leg.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,544
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    I can't remember who he reminds me of..but that doesn't stop me from laughing every time I see him..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,154
    Not sure why some believe they must attack vaccine supporters. Was it perfect? No

Did Covid deaths drastically reduce after it was released? Yes.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    23scidoo said:
    I can't remember who he reminds me of..but that doesn't stop me from laughing every time I see him..

"My name... Is Lyman Zerga" - Oceans Eleven 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 646
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:

I'm concerned that lifting restrictions has given a lot of people cause to lower their common sense precautions regarding the virus.  I think a lot of people seem to equate lowering restrictions with meaning the virus is gone.  But of course we know it is not and it is still spreading.  I am one of the very few people I see out in public (post office, grocery store, etc.) who still wears a mask.  It's amazing to me that the vast majority of people don't seem to be concerned about COVID any more.  That attitude is driving me further and further into isolation.  For me, too many people are problematic and dangerous.
    What do you mean by too many people are problematic and dangerous? 
    Too many people don't cover their mouths when they cough, don't practice common sense hygiene, are not not considerate around older people like myself who can't afford to get COVID, let alone the flu.
    brianlux said:

I'm concerned that lifting restrictions has given a lot of people cause to lower their common sense precautions regarding the virus.  I think a lot of people seem to equate lowering restrictions with meaning the virus is gone.  But of course we know it is not and it is still spreading.  I am one of the very few people I see out in public (post office, grocery store, etc.) who still wears a mask.  It's amazing to me that the vast majority of people don't seem to be concerned about COVID any more.  That attitude is driving me further and further into isolation.  For me, too many people are problematic and dangerous.
    I don't see many people with masks but definitely a handful. It's odd to me that people are so triggered by masks. Maybe you're protecting us? My doctor's office still requires them.

One thing that is kind of irritating is seeing "Masks are mandatory" signs up on the doors of restaurants, etc., and you go in and no one is wearing a mask. IF you don't mean it take the fucking thing down.

Yeah, I don't know why people are triggered by masks.  Deep seated guilt maybe?  But more likely an "it's my right" attitude.  Maybe it is their right.  It's also their right to be hemorrhoids , which is also often the case. 

As for protecting, I'd say both, although probably more myself because I am more careful than most people I see in public (which I do as seldom as possible).  It may not be great protection, but it can't hurt and I'll take any precaution I can to stay well and alive. I won't live forever and I'm not obsessively afraid of death, but I really don't want to waste away from some frickin' damn disease! 

The triggering all comes from right wing media. They used to yammer on about seeing people in their cars wearing masks and how stupid liberals must be for doing that.
    Left wing media should help these poor people and cover a story on driving alone in your car with a mask on. It's imbecilic. Doesn't get any worse. I'm on Long Island. I see it every day. 

You have a problem with strangers wearing a mask while driving a car?  And to you nothing is worse than that, right? You're kidding, right? 

No need to answer.  They're just rhetorical questions for your amusement  ( the prefix "a" meaning not, followed by the root "muse" derived from the Greek "to think".)
    Amusement, indeed. I always do the thumbs up and, when possible, I try to ask if they're wearing a condom in bed while sleeping alone.

You seem easily bothered by things other people to that don't affect you or have anything to do with you. 
    Rather than be so bugged by people who wear masks, maybe consider that each of them/us is one fewer people likely to cough on you and give you some kind of disease- and not just COVID.  Like infectious mononucleosis, for example.  That one was a thrill ride.  Ran a fever for three months straight, had to crawl to get to the bathroom.  Woo hoo, good times.  Or how about Epstein Barr virus?  Talk about fatigue.  You hold yourself up best you can until break time and then collapse for 15 minute with tears running down your face. Then get up and do it again.  Hack or pack, baby.  What joy!
    I think we're getting hypocritical again. You were bothered by "problematic, dangerous" - unmasked and unvaccinated. Meanwhile, lone drivers with face masks don't give me anxiety. They put a smile on my face. True story. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 646
    edited February 2023
    3days said:
    I'll go one better on masks and proclaim that it's a magic bullet when alone in a car. 100% effective in preventing covid infection if exposed to a steering wheel.
    Post edited by AW124797 on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,302
    All I know is I went to the Oakland PJ shows with two friends.  Out of the three of us, one wore an N95, and the other two of us didn't.  We got Covid and my friend who wore the mask did not.

The thing was, I don't think it matter. Both our cases were super mild, so the biggest consequence of not wearing the mask was missing a few days of work with pay due to my employers covid policy ;)
  • Options
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:

Too many people don't cover their mouths when they cough, don't practice common sense hygiene, are not not considerate around older people like myself who can't afford to get COVID, let alone the flu.
    brianlux said:

I don't see many people with masks but definitely a handful. It's odd to me that people are so triggered by masks. Maybe you're protecting us? My doctor's office still requires them.

One thing that is kind of irritating is seeing "Masks are mandatory" signs up on the doors of restaurants, etc., and you go in and no one is wearing a mask. IF you don't mean it take the fucking thing down.

Yeah, I don't know why people are triggered by masks.  Deep seated guilt maybe?  But more likely an "it's my right" attitude.  Maybe it is their right.  It's also their right to be hemorrhoids , which is also often the case. 

As for protecting, I'd say both, although probably more myself because I am more careful than most people I see in public (which I do as seldom as possible).  It may not be great protection, but it can't hurt and I'll take any precaution I can to stay well and alive. I won't live forever and I'm not obsessively afraid of death, but I really don't want to waste away from some frickin' damn disease! 

The triggering all comes from right wing media. They used to yammer on about seeing people in their cars wearing masks and how stupid liberals must be for doing that.
    Left wing media should help these poor people and cover a story on driving alone in your car with a mask on. It's imbecilic. Doesn't get any worse. I'm on Long Island. I see it every day. 

You have a problem with strangers wearing a mask while driving a car?  And to you nothing is worse than that, right? You're kidding, right? 

No need to answer.  They're just rhetorical questions for your amusement  ( the prefix "a" meaning not, followed by the root "muse" derived from the Greek "to think".)
    Amusement, indeed. I always do the thumbs up and, when possible, I try to ask if they're wearing a condom in bed while sleeping alone.

You seem easily bothered by things other people to that don't affect you or have anything to do with you. 
    Rather than be so bugged by people who wear masks, maybe consider that each of them/us is one fewer people likely to cough on you and give you some kind of disease- and not just COVID.  Like infectious mononucleosis, for example.  That one was a thrill ride.  Ran a fever for three months straight, had to crawl to get to the bathroom.  Woo hoo, good times.  Or how about Epstein Barr virus?  Talk about fatigue.  You hold yourself up best you can until break time and then collapse for 15 minute with tears running down your face. Then get up and do it again.  Hack or pack, baby.  What joy!
    I think we're getting hypocritical again. You were bothered by "problematic, dangerous" - unmasked and unvaccinated. Meanwhile, lone drivers with face masks don't give me anxiety. They put a smile on my face. True story. 

There is a difference between be bothered by and feeling unsafe around.  Because of my age and compromised immune system.  Getting a bad flu or COVID incurs a higher than average risk of death for me. Nothing hypocritical there- just common sense. 
    As for what you think of drivers with masks or anyone else for that matter, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

There is a difference between be bothered by and feeling unsafe around.  Because of my age and compromised immune system.  Getting a bad flu or COVID incurs a higher than average risk of death for me. Nothing hypocritical there- just common sense. 
    As for what you think of drivers with masks or anyone else for that matter, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

yep...protect yourself and screw the anti maskers

It's amazingly common in some countries (Japan for one) to wear a mask if you are sick or compromised. The magats have made it a target for some reason.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,919
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

It's amazingly common in some countries (Japan for one) to wear a mask if you are sick or compromised. The magats have made it a target for some reason.

imagine how many all to common respiratory illnesses would go away here if we had a similar mindset here.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Sorry, English is not my mother language..but did he said that??..

"Moderna made 100,000 doses in 2019 for the whole year and I remember walking AFTER DAVOS into the office of manufacturing and saying 'how do we make a billion doses next year.' And they look at me a bit funny say 'what?' and I say 'yeah, we need to make a billion dose next year there's going to be a pandemic.'"..

https://youtu.be/JOgP3w98gY8
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    except they didnt make a billion doses in 2020.

and it wasnt hard to guess there would be an issue of that magnitude at some point
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Here’s a number greater than 2 but less than 14. Or was it 16? 11.

https://apple.news/AgMUYuzAZSZeGUcp_OEAhGA
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

and it wasnt hard to guess there would be an issue of that magnitude at some point
    He said something about 2019 and ''next year pandemic''..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    Sorry, English is not my mother language..but did he said that??..

"Moderna made 100,000 doses in 2019 for the whole year and I remember walking AFTER DAVOS into the office of manufacturing and saying 'how do we make a billion doses next year.' And they look at me a bit funny say 'what?' and I say 'yeah, we need to make a billion dose next year there's going to be a pandemic.'"..

https://youtu.be/JOgP3w98gY8
    Laser eyes, pop up of incredulous face, sudden end of interview or panel discussion clip and YouTube, I’m convinced!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    prob better to have the whole panel discussion...

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    mickeyrat said:

Why would Moderna release a pandemic that was no worse than a cold?  And why would they then ensure that the vaccine didn't work for the "nothing worse than a cold" pandemic?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:
    AW124797 said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

imagine how many all to common respiratory illnesses would go away here if we had a similar mindset here.

Right on, both!

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,680
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mickeyrat said:

Why would Moderna release a pandemic that was no worse than a cold?  And why would they then ensure that the vaccine didn't work for the "nothing worse than a cold" pandemic?
    And why would someone who created such a diabolical plot just let that slip out like that? Way to keep a secret there buddy! 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mickeyrat said:

And why would someone who created such a diabolical plot just let that slip out like that? Way to keep a secret there buddy! 
    World's stupidest arch-villains.  They make a shitty virus and then a shittier vaccine. 
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    I can only hope this is as promising as it sounds.

Scientists discover receptor that blocks COVID-19 infection
    by University of Sydney

https://phys.org/news/2023-02-scientists-receptor-blocks-covid-infection.html

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    prob better to have the whole panel discussion...

And??..his English are worst of mine..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.