Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,649
    If I had a kid I wouldn’t give it a vaccine for something that statistically won’t be an issue.   I did the original C19 vax and boosters but done with it at this point unless required too in order to travel.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,831
    If I had a kid I wouldn’t give it a vaccine for something that statistically won’t be an issue.   I did the original C19 vax and boosters but done with it at this point unless required too in order to travel.
    If you had an elderly or immunocompromised person (someone going through chemo as an example) living in the house,  would you give the child a vaccine? 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    If you had an elderly or immunocompromised person (someone going through chemo as an example) living in the house,  would you give the child a vaccine? 
    I would need to know if the vaccine has any impact on the kid’s ability to catch the virus and spread it.  My understanding is the vaccines don’t prevent you from catching it.  

I think my answer would be no.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I would need to know if the vaccine has any impact on the kid’s ability to catch the virus and spread it.  My understanding is the vaccines don’t prevent you from catching it.  

When your symptoms are lighter,  you are less contagious.  You sneeze less,, have lower viral load,  less mucus.  So the only way that it would not make your child less contagious is if the the vaccine literally did nothing.  

The reason I bring this up is that reason that schools closed was not directly about the child being at risk.  It was the teachers,  staff and families that were at a greater risk. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

When your symptoms are lighter,  you are less contagious.  You sneeze less,, have lower viral load,  less mucus.  So the only way that it would not make your child less contagious is if the the vaccine literally did nothing.  

The reason I bring this up is that reason that schools closed was not directly about the child being at risk.  It was the teachers,  staff and families that were at a greater risk. 
    If I were a parent, I wouldn’t like being told to inject something into my kid while they are still developing because they might catch something and might spread it.  I am not anti-pharma, but am anti taking a drug that isn’t necessary.  Not an easy choice.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,399
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If I were a parent, I wouldn’t like being told to inject something into my kid while they are still developing because they might catch something and might spread it.  I am not anti-pharma, but am anti taking a drug that isn’t necessary.  Not an easy choice.

so you would refuse measels, mumps, rubella and the other assorted vaccines geared toward kids, then?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,396
    This thread has become confusing....

@bootlegger10 vaccines and drugs are different things. Not wanting to give "unnecessary" meds to a child is one thing, vaccines are a different matter in my opinion (spelled out that abbreviation for Brian's benefit! :-) ). Your kids gets DPT vaccines, HIB, influenza (I assume), measles vaccine, etc. etc. Why would the Covid vaccine be any different? That's the part that I don't understand, really. 

I feel like I banged on and on about this a few years ago, but it bears repeating: the Covid-19 vaccine won't necessarily prevent you from catching Covid; its chief purpose is to prevent you from being hospitalized/ dying from it (same goes for the flu vaccine). I don't know if we know enough about Covid yet to know if there are long-term health risks for children from Covid infections. We *do* know that older adults continue to be at higher risk. Which brings us to another reason to get vaccinated: to protect members of the herd whose ability to fight the disease is limited or non-existent. That includes: the elderly, the obese, people with suppressed or compromised immune systems (organ transplant recipients, people undergoing cancer treatment, people with certain chronic health conditions), people with kidney disease. That's a lot of people, and odds are pretty damn good, I'd wager, that you and/or your child know multiple people who fall into those categories. 

So we vaccinate kids partly to protect their own little bodies from some diseases and partly to protect everyone else against those adorable, germy little disease vectors we all love.   
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Vaccine for measles, mumps, polio,  etc… sounds good to me.  Those things can be harmful if caught by children and I would vaccinate. 

Covid doesn’t seem to harm children statistically.   So I don’t think I would vaccinate a child with a new vaccine for something that likely won’t harm them.  I would want to see things play out after studies are completed after several years to deem safe.  If Covid was like polio for kids then I would go with a fast tracked drug that makes pharma billions and politicians’ pockets full.

I read that in the UK children 5-17 are not to get the vaccine unless they are in an at risk group.  I am sure other countries also don’t see the need to vaccinate against something that is unlikely to be harmful.   But the CDC is pushing it for kids over six months.   Thus I choose to not trust the CDC on this one as I will go with the science which says kids aren’t at risk statistically.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,983
    23scidoo said:
    brianlux said:
    I don't know why we argue about things like vaccines.  You either get them like me, or you don't.  I know people that have never had a vaccination.  That's cool.  I'm guessing they are cool with the fact that I do get them. 
    I have only ever known one person who gave me a bad time about my getting vaccinations.  But then, she sincerely believes there are huge giants in a remote part of the Grand Canyon that are being trained for attack purposes.  She never quite explained who or what they are supposedly going to attack.  In any case, I figure her thinking I'm wacky and me thinking she is wacky is a draw.  We're still friends.  Go figure.  :lol:
    I've never disagree with someone whose TV is bigger than his library Βrian..
    "Her" TV, scidoo, but you are correct about the TV being bigger than her library, lol!
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    I don't know why we argue about things like vaccines.  You either get them like me, or you don't.  I know people that have never had a vaccination.  That's cool.  I'm guessing they are cool with the fact that I do get them. 
    I have only ever known one person who gave me a bad time about my getting vaccinations.  But then, she sincerely believes there are huge giants in a remote part of the Grand Canyon that are being trained for attack purposes.  She never quite explained who or what they are supposedly going to attack.  In any case, I figure her thinking I'm wacky and me thinking she is wacky is a draw.  We're still friends.  Go figure.  :lol:
    Great, now the secret's out. She wasn't supposed to say anything!

My and my big..
    Idiom of the Week Put Your Foot in Your Mouth  US Adult Literacy

brianlux said:
    Grand Canyon's huge bro, you don't know for sure. 

Haha!  Yes... and all those mysterious side canyons!  We best be prepared!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,983
    Here are some interesting quotes from Mr. Henry Rollins latest book, Sic:
    "I spent at least a few minutes reading posts arguing about vaccinations.  Thinking you're going to change the mind of an adult is a perfect waste of time."  (page 219, entry dated 12-21-21)

"What a mess.  I read arguments people have online about the COVID vaccine.  It's the last thing I'll argue about with anyone.  You'll get the vaccine or you won't. [Henry did.] I read an article about a flight attendant who was punched by a passenger who resented being asked to put a mask on.  The attendant got chipped teeth from the altercation.  Can you imagine?  The woman who did the punching is going to serve a few weeks in jail.  That's not the part that got me...  What made me pause were the people defending the actions of the assaulter, saying masks don't work so she should be able to attack the attendant."   (Page 226, entry dated 12-25-21)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ^^^ Yes, but I keep wondering why? Why does this happen? We had one -- since debunked -- claim that vaccines cause autism, and years later people are convinced that vaccines are unsafe, or they don't understand what vaccines are (I was a humanities major; one, just one, halfway decent biology class should be enough to grasp the science here), or they think they're being injected with microchips.

I guess it's good, in a way, that we don't remember what life was life before polio and smallpox vaccines (or antibiotics, for that matter). But, bigger picture, our lack of basic scientific knowledge/ understanding and critical thinking skills strikes me as a problem that is not going to resolve on its own. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that everyone has a clear picture of how the FDA works, but a basic understanding of how diseases spread and how they can be stopped seems like a pretty important part of anyone's life skills toolkit.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    MRNA are what people are concerned about not conventional vaccines.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I'd dispute that assertion. Anti-vax sentiment preceded the mRNA technology, and I'm willing to bet that 80%+ of Americans couldn't tell you what mRNA is.

• Options
    It's not an American problem. In this thread it has been about mRNA. I don't think many in here dispute the other age old vaccines.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,060
    edited October 2023
    It's not an American problem. In this thread it has been about mRNA. I don't think many in here dispute the other age old vaccines.
    I was about to say this. The anti vax in general is much smaller than the anti covid vax. 
    I don't really fault someone for being weary of it. At the beginning of covid we were told it would take years for a vax to be available. People question our government all the time. But when it comes to covid were not supposed to question anymore?

I'm not anti vax. But I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to say they don't want to take it, they are relatively healthy, their kids are young and low risk, they don't live with anyone who is high risk, and chose not to take it. I have no issue with that stance. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    And if we're worried about spreading it, I probably know more people who have gotten sick and refuse a covid test just so they don't have to miss work. I don't see anyone guilting those people going to work sick nearly as much as I see people guilting those who don't take the vaccine. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,845
    mace1229 said:
    And if we're worried about spreading it, I probably know more people who have gotten sick and refuse a covid test just so they don't have to miss work. I don't see anyone guilting those people going to work sick nearly as much as I see people guilting those who don't take the vaccine. 
    I think we did shame them early on but as we drift into "Covid is over" so are most of the precautions we used to take. No more plexiglass up at the grocery checkout, few if any "stay six feet apart" decals on store floors, doctors not wearing masks for routine appoints, more acceptance of coughing, sneezing, etc. at work, and so on.

I'm also not sure we're shaming people for not being vaccinated like we used to. The negative jabs (no pun intended) at the anti-(covid) vax crowd seems to be because they're the ones flipping out that Travis Kelce did a Pfizer commercial. They're the ones hilariously suggesting that being vaccinated actually makes you more likely to spread it. They're the ones who blame it for what happened to Damar Hamelin and for the deaths of so many celebrities (I even saw Betty White on one of the lists of vax victims).

I think the early vaccine rollout was a disaster. Not that we were taking it but that people lost their jobs and livelyhoods to something that was not particularly effective at stopping the spread. I say this as someone that's had three or four shots and is scheduled for the new one next Sunday. But at this point, the vax (and to a lesser extent vaccines in general) is a political talking point and the actual impacts don't even matter anymore in terms of shaping anyone's outlook.

Many in here? Maybe not. I do think that established vaccines are probably less universally accepted today than they were a few years ago. I think there have been outbreaks of things like measles because of it.

The funny thing is that early anti-vaxers were left-wingers for the most part; hippy types in many instances. Now it's one of the boxes you have to check to not be a RINO (despite the fact that their messiah is not particularly anti-vax). I think some former hippies have even become MAGA on this issue...it's probably why MAGA loves RFK Jr. and why his entire shtick is about owning the Dems.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

No one can make you or your kids take any vaccine or medicine.  But don't start complaining when they can't fully participate in society,  including school.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

No one can make you or your kids take any vaccine or medicine.  But don't start complaining when they can't fully participate in society,  including school.
    I would argue that is "making" them do it if they can't participate in society. Many vaccines should be required. I'm not on board with requiring the covid vaccine yet. We don't require the flu shot, and kids get the flu and spread it to elderly all the time. 

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Doesn't all of this just make you want to go out and procreate today? What are you waiting for??? 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Doesn't all of this just make you want to go out and procreate today? What are you waiting for??? 
    No interest in having kids.  I am sure when I am mid-50’s I will regret it and have a lonely existence, but for now I am cool with it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Choices.  They suck sometimes.  I won’t be getting the jab again (I go the first booster), but if I had to in order to travel I would.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I would argue that is "making" them do it if they can't participate in society. Many vaccines should be required. I'm not on board with requiring the covid vaccine yet. We don't require the flu shot, and kids get the flu and spread it to elderly all the time. 

But we knew in 2020/21 what the virus was doing to the elderly.  Let's not conflate that higher mortality strain to the strains of the past 18 months

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,792
    My brain cells are too precious to keep wasting them with you..
    anyway my shepherd is calling me back to the fold..and unlike someone else here i will keep my promise..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

But we knew in 2020/21 what the virus was doing to the elderly.  Let's not conflate that higher mortality strain to the strains of the past 18 months

I'm not disagreeing with that.
    But we didn't have the vaccine until almost halfway though 2021. It wasn't approved for kids until even later. So vaccinating children didn't;t impact the high death dolls for the elderly in the early months of the virus.
    I'm just saying at this stage, I don't think kids should be mandated to take the vaccine. And refusing them an education is making someone do something. I don't think any states have done that, but that was your example I responded to. If denied entry to school over a vaccine, that is making someone take it.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,399
    they are denied entry without mmr and polio vax arent they?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that.
    But we didn't have the vaccine until almost halfway though 2021. It wasn't approved for kids until even later. So vaccinating children didn't;t impact the high death dolls for the elderly in the early months of the virus.
    I'm just saying at this stage, I don't think kids should be mandated to take the vaccine. And refusing them an education is making someone do something. I don't think any states have done that, but that was your example I responded to. If denied entry to school over a vaccine, that is making someone take it.
    Kids aren't mandated,  anywhere.  It seems like you are applying what we know now,, after the less deadly mutations,  to decisions that were made before we had that knowledge.  And I say that because of the comparison to Influenza,  which is a fair one today,  but absurd for the first two stains.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    they are denied entry without mmr and polio vax arent they?
    No. Parents just have to sign a waiver 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Also not mRNA vaccines.
    If you are not a parent you have no say on the matter of what should or shouldn't be given to a child 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Also not mRNA vaccines.
    If you are not a parent you have no say on the matter of what should or shouldn't be given to a child 
    Really? Ok for parents to allow kids access to alcohol? Prescription medication like oxy or Vicodin? Tobacco products? Society doesn’t have an interest in how kids are raised or whether they make it to adulthood? News to me.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©