Options

State of elections since 2020

Comments

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    MayDay10 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    The way it looks Republicans will take the house & the Senate is very much a toss up! So I’m not sure why Democrats & Biden are giddy about election results! 
    Probably because the doomsayers predicted a much different outcome, and these results lean towards trump’s base/sway appearing to be much smaller than most dems had previously been willing to admit. Add to that the emergence of desantis, and it seems the republican party will be less than united come '24. I think these are some factors, but who knows? Just wait for one of the few instant comment producing posters to chime in and we'll at least know if/why some of the AMT dems are giddy.

This was looking like a perfect storm of nearly irreversible losses in congress, and not only that, governors as well, and it would have cascaded into local positions

Despite a lot of terrible signs, a not too popular president, and a shaky economy, the gains were very small.  
    The trump thing also seems to have reached a new stage of death.

I viewed this election as a possible major step in ending our democracy.  If it was a giant wave and Trump would have been able to stick his chin up in a week, declare victory, and have his path cleared to waltz around all investigations straight to the White House in 2024, with all Republican branches of government, federal judges, local politicians, hell, people who count the votes.   Someone turn out the lights.  Its all over but the shouting.

It was a huge fail for Trump.  Desantis, while I disapprove and even abhor some of his policies, I trust him to run the country in good faith.  He is not mentally ill, and I don't see him holding office with the lack of dignity and lack of effort.  Maybe he won't win... but if he does, the USA should fight another day.  
    Hopefully proof that we are inching closer to achieving political normalcy.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    Oh boy....Trump is unleashing on Desantis. It has begun.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746

I don't know. desantis seems like a fascist to me. 
    Yeah, he's too radical right-wing and, unlike 45, sane enough to pull off some very problematic shit.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    like trump can really hurt him politically at this point? right wing sites are pointing out how trump has lost republicans elections since 2018.

desantis is their new darling now.

trump is basically the abusive ex boyfriend coming back to threaten the new boyfriend in hopes of winning back the lady. it ain't gonna happen at this point.

the gop voters came out hard to win and they basically got destroyed. it is all because of trump.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    like trump can really hurt him politically at this point? right wing sites are pointing out how trump has lost republicans elections since 2018.

desantis is their new darling now.

trump is basically the abusive ex boyfriend coming back to threaten the new boyfriend in hopes of winning back the lady. it ain't gonna happen at this point.

the gop voters came out hard to win and they basically got destroyed. it is all because of trump.
    Yes he can. He has 30% of the republican base believing anything he says. This will be a muddy mess for republicans for quite a while. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,976
    It will be interesting to see how Desantis does on a national level. He mimicked tRump to gain popularity but I don't think independents are going to care for more of this. 

Plus he hasn't been wrung through a national wringer yet. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    It will be interesting to see how Desantis does on a national level. He mimicked tRump to gain popularity but I don't think independents are going to care for more of this. 

It's funny that Fox News never had an article about the statement Trump released yesterday blasting DeSantis.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

It's funny that Fox News never had an article about the statement Trump released yesterday blasting DeSantis.  
    nor the one where he claims to have unleased the FBI to help DeSantis get elected....very bizarre statement

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Two things surprise me on the Senate side:

1. They still haven't called Kelly.  The votes keep coming in and he maintains.  And most of the outstanding are in Pima and Maricopa, where he has done well.  I think it has to be close.

2. How does Ron Johnson run so far ahead of his GOP colleague for the gov?  Wisconsin continues to choose Democrats in statewide offices yet they can't knock of this knucklehead.  I don't get it.  People really ticket split for him?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

1. They still haven't called Kelly.  The votes keep coming in and he maintains.  And most of the outstanding are in Pima and Maricopa, where he has done well.  I think it has to be close.

2. How does Ron Johnson run so far ahead of his GOP colleague for the gov?  Wisconsin continues to choose Democrats in statewide offices yet they can't knock of this knucklehead.  I don't get it.  People really ticket split for him?
    Yeah I don't get how Johnson keeps his seat....he's a fucking moron

I'm surprised they haven't called Boebert's seat yet too. 

The NV Senate race is interesting. Would be nice to see that one go blue but not sure if she can do it.

I was hoping the Senate wouldn't come down to GA but that might be our Alamo. And I like our chances.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

The NV Senate race is interesting. Would be nice to see that one go blue but not sure if she can do it.

I was hoping the Senate wouldn't come down to GA but that might be our Alamo. And I like our chances.
    Masto closed a full point over night, so she's absolutely in the game.  This is another ticket splitting issue as well, as the GOP won the gov seat but Lexalt is running behind the new Gov.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Masto closed a full point over night, so she's absolutely in the game.  This is another ticket splitting issue as well, as the GOP won the gov seat but Lexalt is running behind the new Gov.  
    I really hope Kari Lake loses. Some people just don't deserve to hold office and she's one of them.

• Options

Unreal....how did this Crowder fucker get a voice? What a fucknut

• Options
    edited November 2022

Unreal....how did this Crowder fucker get a voice? What a fucknut
    She is bat shit crazy....thus, a darling of the right.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,827
    mrussel1 said:

Granted, it was a long time ago (the 90s) but when I was in school at the University of Wisconsin, I was told by a poli sci professor that Wisconsin had the highest percentage of re-electing incumbents of any state. The primary theory (based on me perusing twitter...) on the split Gov/Johnson tickets is that Johnson's opponent was black. Apparently tv adds did a good job of smearing him.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Granted, it was a long time ago (the 90s) but when I was in school at the University of Wisconsin, I was told by a poli sci professor that Wisconsin had the highest percentage of re-electing incumbents of any state. The primary theory (based on me perusing twitter...) on the split Gov/Johnson tickets is that Johnson's opponent was black. Apparently tv adds did a good job of smearing him.
    Yeah I saw that were darkening the skin, making him look menacing..
  • Options
    have they announced the result of the boebert race yet?? i do not want to google it and start getting her stupid ads in my feed.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,826
    edited November 2022
    have they announced the result of the boebert race yet?? i do not want to google it and start getting her stupid ads in my feed.

still counting. will likely be an audit and or recount triggered by law or request.
    I check a couple times a day. Will say though, the Dem made an EXCELLENT  showing in a redrawn district designed to favor gop votes.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

still counting. will likely be an audit and or recount triggered by law or request.
    I check a couple times a day. Will say though, the Dem made an EXCELLENT  showing in a redrawn district designed to favor gop votes.

i am trying to figure out how they counted something like 80% on election night and have spent the last 4 days counting the remainder. yesterday they were at like 96% counted.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    mickeyrat said:

i am trying to figure out how they counted something like 80% on election night and have spent the last 4 days counting the remainder. yesterday they were at like 96% counted.

mail in and drop off. not sure what their laws are surrounding counting of the absentee physical ballots. might assume its not until election day or after.

also read there is a "cure" period until the 16th. any anomalies found, the voter is given a chance to correct. sig match, address, dates that sort of thing. 

Neil Vigdor
    Nov. 11, 2022, 4:13 p.m. ET2 hours ago
    2 hours ago
    Representative Lauren Boebert of Colorado a Republican and her challenger Adam Frisch are locked in a tighter than expected race for Colorados Third Congressional District
    Representative Lauren Boebert of Colorado, a Republican, and her challenger, Adam Frisch, are locked in a tighter than expected race for Colorado’s Third Congressional District.Credit...William Woody for The New York Times

It could take weeks to settle the electoral fate of one of the most polarizing members of the House: Representative Lauren Boebert of Colorado, a far-right provocateur known for heckling President Biden during his State of the Union speech, carrying a gun on Capitol Hill and her defiance of mask rules.

Ms. Boebert, who is in her first term, was leading her challenger Adam Frisch, a Democrat, by less than 1,200 votes in the state’s Third Congressional District race as of Friday, with 95 percent of the votes counted, according to The Associated Press.

Mr. Frisch, a businessman and former Aspen, Colo., city councilman, had jumped out to an early lead in the seesaw contest, one that has garnered widespread attention.

As votes continue to come in, depending on the margin, it is possible there could be a recount in the race, in western Colorado. In an email on Friday, Annie Orloff, a spokeswoman for the secretary of state in Colorado, said the regular process has to play itself out, however, before a recount could be considered.

First, Colorado gives voters until Nov. 16, in what is known as the cure period, to fix errors or signature discrepancies that could result in their ballot being rejected. That deadline is the same for overseas voters and members of the military to return ballots.

After that, the secretary of state’s office selects at least one statewide contest and at least one contest in each county to audit, based on input from its own staff and from Democratic and Republican county clerks. The secretary of state, Jena Griswold, a Democrat who has tussled with election deniers, was re-elected on Tuesday, according to The Associated Press.

Specific ballots are then chosen randomly to be audited by bipartisan election judges in each county, and those audits must be completed by Nov. 29. Additionally, bipartisan canvass boards made up of two representatives from each major party and the county clerk must then conduct a canvass, comparing the number of ballots cast to the number of people who voted.

Once that process is completed, if the candidates are separated by less than one-half of one percentage point, the secretary of state has until Dec. 5 to order a mandatory recount. The recount must be completed by Dec. 13. Colorado also allows candidates, political parties and other “interested parties” to request a recount, which they would have to fund. Those would need to be completed by Dec. 15.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Trump loyalist Boebert's reelection bid could go to recount
    By JESSE BEDAYN
    Today

DENVER (AP) — Republican U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert’s race remained extremely tight on Thursday and could be headed for a recount in the GOP firebrand’s bid for reelection against Democrat Adam Frisch, a former city councilmember from the upscale ski town of Aspen, Colorado.

The tightness of the race has garnered national attention as Republicans inch closer to the 218 seats that would give them control of the U.S. House. Boebert was seen as a lock in the state’s sprawling, conservative-leaning 3rd Congressional District. But she trailed on election night and only took a roughly 1,200-vote lead after two days of additional counting with thousands of ballots left to be tabulated.

The margin is slightly larger than what would require a mandatory recount. That happens when the margin between the top two candidates is at or below 0.5% of the leading candidate’s vote total.

Boebert, a staunch Trump loyalist, fashions herself as a fighter in a broader cultural crusade for the soul of the nation and earned a spot on the so-called “MAGA Squad” alongside Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. Even as a freshman representative, Boebert’s brash style gained her national TV appearances, widespread notoriety and a loyal following.

During President Joe Biden’s State of the Union Address in March, Boebert interrupted a somber moment about Biden’s son to blame the president for 13 service members who were killed during the U.S. withdrawal in Afghanistan.

Frisch was expected to face long odds after redistricting made the already conservative district, which elected former President Donald Trump by a 15 point margin in 2016, more Republican. But the Democratic challenger, who downplayed his political party and pitched a pro-business and pro-energy platform, remained adamant that Republican voters were tired of what he called Boebert’s “angertainment” and bet on a portion of GOP voters jumping ship.

To Frisch, the slim margin in the election speaks to his ability to build a broad bi-partisan coalition by touting himself as a moderate.

If Boebert loses, it would be another hit to the disappointing results for the GOP on Tuesday night after the anticipated red wave never made the shore.

But Boebert and her supporters weren't considering that option on Thursday.

“We’re confident Lauren Boebert will win re-election,” said Courtney Parella, spokeswoman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, whose mission is to elect Republicans to the House of Representatives.

Thursday morning, Boebert tweeted “Winning!”

Shortly after, Frisch wrote in a statement: “The closeness of this race is a testament to the fact that the people of western and southern Colorado are growing tired of the angertainment industry that Boebert is a part of and want a representative who will fight for bipartisan solutions.”

During the campaign, Boebert and Frisch clashed less on policy issues and more on character. The incumbent claimed Frisch was a closeted leftist who would discard his conservative platform once in congress, while the challenger fashioned himself as a competent and tempered alternative.

Both Frisch’s and Boebert’s campaigns said they are closely watching the race in anticipation of further ballot drops from counties still counting votes and that neither have reached out to attorneys.

In closely watched Pueblo County, exhausted elections workers on Thursday were processing roughly 3,200 mail-in ballots and 1,800 in-person last-day ballots, said Gilbert Ortiz, the county clerk and recorder.

In Colorado, county elections boards have until Nov. 30 to certify their election results and submit those to the secretary of state’s office, which has a Dec. 5 deadline to issue its own certification or order mandatory recounts. Any recounts requested by a candidate, or other parties, must be paid for by that candidate or other party and must be completed by Dec. 15.

Elections officials urged the public to be patient, saying vote-counting was proceeding according to established procedure with no reported irregularities.

The sprawling district covers much of western and southern Colorado, including ranches, ski resorts and national forest land as well as the cities of Pueblo and Grand Junction. Grand Junction is in Mesa County, where county clerk Tina Peters has been charged with allegedly allowing outsiders to break into her election system. She has been barred from overseeing elections there.

In Pueblo County, the count would take all day, Ortiz said. And under state law, officials have nine days after Election Day, or until Nov. 17, to receive overseas and military ballots, as well as to “cure,” or verify, ballots in hand that have voter signatures that cannot be immediately verified, he said. Some of Pueblo County’s bipartisan citizen elections judges, who open and verify ballots and feed them into the machines, have left for other commitments or exhaustion, meaning there are fewer people on hand to process ballots, Ortiz said.

“We just want to make sure that our numbers are accurate, and we are not willing to sacrifice accuracy for speed,” Ortiz said. “At this point, we just want to finish today.”

___

This story has been corrected to say that a recount happens when the margin between the top two candidates is at or below 0.5% of the leading candidate’s vote total.

__

This story corrects Tina Peters' last name.

___

Associated Press writers James Anderson and Colleen Slevin contributed to this report.

___

Jesse Bedayn is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,122
    Very good news for Dems tonight in the latest vote releases,

AZ has just been called for Kelly, so Dems at 49

NV, Cortez the Killer Masto pulled within 850 votes from about 20,000 the other night and 9,000 this afternoon, and the majority remaining are 25k votes from Clark County which is running +7D

looks like Dems could get the senate before the GA runoff 
  • Options
    Very good news for Dems tonight in the latest vote releases,

AZ has just been called for Kelly, so Dems at 49

NV, Cortez the Killer Masto pulled within 850 votes from about 20,000 the other night and 9,000 this afternoon, and the majority remaining are 25k votes from Clark County which is running +7D

looks like Dems could get the senate before the GA runoff 
    It's a real kick in the nuts
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    mickeyrat said:

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    Ok good overnight news and Trumpolinni is having a melt down! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Democrat wins secretary of state in AZ as well, beating a vehement election denier.  

What have we learned this cycle?  The electorate wants "normal".  People running too far on either side got shellacked.  This is particularly true in state wide elections, rather than congressional districts.  But even Boebert's weakness shows that you can only be so crazy. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Democrat wins secretary of state in AZ as well, beating a vehement election denier.  

What have we learned this cycle?  The electorate wants "normal".  People running too far on either side got shellacked.  This is particularly true in state wide elections, rather than congressional districts.  But even Boebert's weakness shows that you can only be so crazy. 
    Democracy....still breathing! 

I just saw that all of the election denying wackos running for sec of state across the country have all lost. Thank god. 

I will admit that I was a bit nervous about Steve Bannon's plan that he's devoted two full years to. But it appears to have failed miserably. Could not be happier right now.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    20 minutes in and its facinating....

No Election Is Like Any Other: With Simon Rosenberg. Episode: https://www.podcastrepublic.net/episode/75665069323 . Media: https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/api.spreaker.com/download/episode/51857013/msp_rosenbergnovember.mp3 . -- Sent from Podcast Republic.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

I just saw that all of the election denying wackos running for sec of state across the country have all lost. Thank god. 

I will admit that I was a bit nervous about Steve Bannon's plan that he's devoted two full years to. But it appears to have failed miserably. Could not be happier right now.

this time. gop plays a long game. its how we got here today staye and federally. Bannon will learn and adjust.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

if you have a shitty message, you will never win. he needs to learn that.