State of elections since 2020

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    According to the WashPo, their analysis of what is outstanding to be counted gives Masto the slight edge in winning.  So that's nice.  

By contrast, they give Lake the slight edge in AZ in the Gov race.  She's an interesting cat.  She was (and probably still is) a Democrat.  She's just a shameless TV opportunist.  

But as a former democrat, why did she have to go full court election denial in a swing state that’s supposedly trending blue? Since FL OH and IA are all gone goodbye  for Dems , not sure where the dems can pick up states in the future for electoral collage and senate. Extremism still seems to work for the GOP, even in an election where Dems outperform expectations.

In those three former swing states, the Dems are gone, history, outta here, join the cult or be gone,  while in the new blue states, GA, AZ , NV WI, and even VA ;) the GOP apparently are still a force to be reckoned with. Does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about senate and presidency in one year and 362 days.
    but in two years a few million more GenZ will be voting (and boomers dying)....and they don't vote red
    They just don't vote.  ;)

No? But you did wink, so I assume you're kidding.
    I heard they were very helpful in showing up for this election.  We need to encourage Gen Z  kids.  They are now our best hope, just as I said Gen x were 20 years ago or my mostly failed boomer generation was 100 years ago (although we did some things right). 
    Only half kidding.
    Historically as a collective, young folks just don't turn out to vote in big numbers. This cycle their numbers seemed to improve, probably due to the Roe decision, but we'll see if that continues in future years.

I hope it does.  Let's do what we can to encourage them!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    According to the WashPo, their analysis of what is outstanding to be counted gives Masto the slight edge in winning.  So that's nice.  

By contrast, they give Lake the slight edge in AZ in the Gov race.  She's an interesting cat.  She was (and probably still is) a Democrat.  She's just a shameless TV opportunist.  

But as a former democrat, why did she have to go full court election denial in a swing state that’s supposedly trending blue? Since FL OH and IA are all gone goodbye  for Dems , not sure where the dems can pick up states in the future for electoral collage and senate. Extremism still seems to work for the GOP, even in an election where Dems outperform expectations.

In those three former swing states, the Dems are gone, history, outta here, join the cult or be gone,  while in the new blue states, GA, AZ , NV WI, and even VA ;) the GOP apparently are still a force to be reckoned with. Does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about senate and presidency in one year and 362 days.
    but in two years a few million more GenZ will be voting (and boomers dying)....and they don't vote red

I heard they were very helpful in showing up for this election.  We need to encourage Gen Z  kids.  They are now our best hope, just as I said Gen x were 20 years ago or my mostly failed boomer generation was 100 years ago (although we did some things right). 
    Only half kidding.
    Historically as a collective, young folks just don't turn out to vote in big numbers. This cycle their numbers seemed to improve, probably due to the Roe decision, but we'll see if that continues in future years.

Young voters was a HUGE narrative in 2008 when Obama won. Remember that huge crowd in Germany? He was like a rock star. Almost Vedder like. The young ones loved Obama and the dem narrative supposedly. So if young voters are considered 18 to 30 and that was fourteen years ago, everyone under 45 should be part of this youthful voter blue wave. That should have been a huge part of the electorate. And the GOP went extreme right with trump, which should have alienated these voters even more.

But it never materialized, still a 50/50 country and Dems are uncompetitive in 3 new states since then, making the senate and electoral college tougher to win each four year cycle . Voters get older, grumpier about taxes, and turn red.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Only half kidding.

Young voters was a HUGE narrative in 2008 when Obama won. Remember that huge crowd in Germany? He was like a rock star. Almost Vedder like. The young ones loved Obama and the dem narrative supposedly. So if young voters are considered 18 to 30 and that was fourteen years ago, everyone under 45 should be part of this youthful voter blue wave. That should have been a huge part of the electorate. And the GOP went extreme right with trump, which should have alienated these voters even more.

But it never materialized, still a 50/50 country and Dems are uncompetitive in 3 new states since then, making the senate and electoral college tougher to win each four year cycle . Voters get older, grumpier about taxes, and turn red.

Republicans went hard right with Trump and the youth rejected this in 2020. 65% voted for Biden and turnout in that group was higher than it was in 2016, at a little over 50%. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Only half kidding.

Republicans went hard right with Trump and the youth rejected this in 2020. 65% voted for Biden and turnout in that group was higher than it was in 2016, at a little over 50%. 

Nice!  Go, youth!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Only half kidding.

Nice!  Go, youth!

Sure, but my point is the accumulated impact of the youth as they age and in that process they become a larger share of the electorate. The projection in 2008 was democrats are the party of the future because as voters in their 20s enter their 30s, and 30s become 40s, the impact is a huge portion of the electorate become democrats. 

It’s 14 years after Obama’s first win, and it’s obvious that never happened. If anything, elections are more difficult today than 14 years ago, as three new states, FL IA OH, are almost completely unreachable for democrats in terms of senate and electoral college victories. It seems pretty clear that once these pro democrat voters age, many of them become…republicans. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Only half kidding.

Nice!  Go, youth!

Sure, but my point is the accumulated impact of the youth as they age and in that process they become a larger share of the electorate. The projection in 2008 was democrats are the party of the future because as voters in their 20s enter their 30s, and 30s become 40s, the impact is a huge portion of the electorate become democrats. 

It’s 14 years after Obama’s first win, and it’s obvious that never happened. If anything, elections are more difficult today than 14 years ago, as three new states, FL IA OH, are almost completely unreachable for democrats in terms of senate and electoral college victories. It seems pretty clear that once these pro democrat voters age, many of them become…republicans. 

state and national party need to do a better job of reaching the 4 million registered unaffiliated voters who DID NOT vote this cycle.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    If after seven years of the trump era and an armed attack on the US Capitol they still don’t vote, not sure what it would take to get them to the polls? A nuclear attack by Putin maybe? Guess it really wouldn’t matter after that. 
  • Options
    If after seven years of the trump era and an armed attack on the US Capitol they still don’t vote, not sure what it would take to get them to the polls? A nuclear attack by Putin maybe? Guess it really wouldn’t matter after that. 

Maybe instead how about better education.   There have been a number of studies that show that improved education leads to stronger voting participation (and surely voters make more intelligent choices).

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    i guess they stayed home and did not vote. you know, to own the libs.

dumbasses.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,296
    The way it looks Republicans will take the house & the Senate is very much a toss up! So I’m not sure why Democrats & Biden are giddy about election results! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    The way it looks Republicans will take the house & the Senate is very much a toss up! So I’m not sure why Democrats & Biden are giddy about election results! 
    It's all very weird to me.  We lost...but not by as much!!!  I mean I understand but if it happens, still not a victory.

Also - what pisses me off the most, a candidate of a party will win the election by 0.2% of the vote...heck even if they win it by 5% of the vote...that means 45% of the voters in their district, state, whatever did not vote for them.  They are elected to represent their district, state, whatever....not just those that voted for them.  But that would take integrity.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    It's all very weird to me.  We lost...but not by as much!!!  I mean I understand but if it happens, still not a victory.

Well because in the last 40 years, not counting W and his dad during times of war, this is how many seats the incumbent lost: 40, 63, 52, 26. incumbents always get crushed in the midterms during their first term. So losing only a handful in a time of record inflation and abysmal approval rating for Biden is definitely considered a victory of sorts.....especially if they hold the senate. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,296

Also - what pisses me off the most, a candidate of a party will win the election by 0.2% of the vote...heck even if they win it by 5% of the vote...that means 45% of the voters in their district, state, whatever did not vote for them.  They are elected to represent their district, state, whatever....not just those that voted for them.  But that would take integrity.
    Losing control of both houses I def would not call it a victory maybe a moral victory at best! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    Boebert now leading by 400 votes....still haven't called it yet but looks like she will take it to me
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I kept reading that the areas left to count were largely blue, so people were expecting her to lose based on that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I kept reading that the areas left to count were largely blue, so people were expecting her to lose based on that. 

I hope!

• Options

Funny how none of the MAGAts are crying about this count taking several days, which is an about face from their attitude going into Tuesday. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    Can I ask why it takes Arizona so long to count votes while other states can do it within hours? I’m not insinuating anything. I’m genuinely asking for my own curiosity and lack of knowledge on the process there. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Can I ask why it takes Arizona so long to count votes while other states can do it within hours? I’m not insinuating anything. I’m genuinely asking for my own curiosity and lack of knowledge on the process there. 
    https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/2022-election-why-is-it-taking-so-long-for-arizona-to-count-ballots
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    I saw this which has interesting numbers on the youth vote. Turnout was high for this midterm and they went almost 2 to 1 D to R. In some battleground areas it was even higher. What’s key for dems is growing that turnout over time. 

It pains me to say it, but really a lot of the republicans getting elected is the responsibility of GenX. I’ve always seen numbers that show a conservative bump with my wonderful generation, and this data supports it, showing equal voting of D and R numbers between genX (and the youngest boomers), and the 65+ crowd. I chalk it up to Reagan era brainwashing while we were growing up. 

• Options
    edited November 2022
    loving the "raise the voting age to 21 because the human brain doesn't finish developing until age 25, that's why young people overwhelmingly vote democrat" from that Bridget Gabriel person. HAHAHAHA. 

can't win the game?
    complain about the rules!

sure, now apply that to:

1) marketing joining the armed forces
    2) gun owernship
    3) forced parenthood

and we have a fucking deal
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/2022-election-why-is-it-taking-so-long-for-arizona-to-count-ballots
    Thank you 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    Probably because the doomsayers predicted a much different outcome, and these results lean towards trump’s base/sway appearing to be much smaller than most dems had previously been willing to admit. Add to that the emergence of desantis, and it seems the republican party will be less than united come '24. I think these are some factors, but who knows? Just wait for one of the few instant comment producing posters to chime in and we'll at least know if/why some of the AMT dems are giddy.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Suffolk County had to count votes after the allotted time because of a security breech earlier in the year.

Funny you didn't hear one peep from republicans about it.  They did win the areas but still, they should be angry at that too, lol!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    FiveBelow said:
    Probably because the doomsayers predicted a much different outcome, and these results lean towards trump’s base/sway appearing to be much smaller than most dems had previously been willing to admit. Add to that the emergence of desantis, and it seems the republican party will be less than united come '24. I think these are some factors, but who knows? Just wait for one of the few instant comment producing posters to chime in and we'll at least know if/why some of the AMT dems are giddy.

This was looking like a perfect storm of nearly irreversible losses in congress, and not only that, governors as well, and it would have cascaded into local positions

Despite a lot of terrible signs, a not too popular president, and a shaky economy, the gains were very small.  
    The trump thing also seems to have reached a new stage of death.

I viewed this election as a possible major step in ending our democracy.  If it was a giant wave and Trump would have been able to stick his chin up in a week, declare victory, and have his path cleared to waltz around all investigations straight to the White House in 2024, with all Republican branches of government, federal judges, local politicians, hell, people who count the votes.   Someone turn out the lights.  Its all over but the shouting.

It was a huge fail for Trump.  Desantis, while I disapprove and even abhor some of his policies, I trust him to run the country in good faith.  He is not mentally ill, and I don't see him holding office with the lack of dignity and lack of effort.  Maybe he won't win... but if he does, the USA should fight another day.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    FiveBelow said:

This was looking like a perfect storm of nearly irreversible losses in congress, and not only that, governors as well, and it would have cascaded into local positions

Despite a lot of terrible signs, a not too popular president, and a shaky economy, the gains were very small.  
    The trump thing also seems to have reached a new stage of death.

I viewed this election as a possible major step in ending our democracy.  If it was a giant wave and Trump would have been able to stick his chin up in a week, declare victory, and have his path cleared to waltz around all investigations straight to the White House in 2024, with all Republican branches of government, federal judges, local politicians, hell, people who count the votes.   Someone turn out the lights.  Its all over but the shouting.

It was a huge fail for Trump.  Desantis, while I disapprove and even abhor some of his policies, I trust him to run the country in good faith.  He is not mentally ill, and I don't see him holding office with the lack of dignity and lack of effort.  Maybe he won't win... but if he does, the USA should fight another day.  
    100%
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know. desantis seems like a fascist to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    edited November 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    Suffolk County had to count votes after the allotted time because of a security breech earlier in the year.

Funny you didn't hear one peep from republicans about it.  They did win the areas but still, they should be angry at that too, lol!
    I'm not hearing much complaining about Bobert's district. Shouldn't they have stopped counting like 40 hours ago?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin