The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    do check out the sam quinones episode of wtf with marc maron.

they touch on homelessness and what hes found out...
    this is Houston’s approach

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/14/headway/houston-homeless-people.html

The difference is obvious. There use to be tent cities under bridges.  Now you see a random single tent here and there 

quinones goes into the reasons for it today. chiefly the explosion of meth and fentynal.
    I see the difference based on where I am. Back home in Montana it’s meth for sure. Less so in Houston. 

People on meth are pretty scary especially when they are roaming the street and everyone you see seems to be on meth. For example I’m way more nervous to walk around at night in a Montana town than I am in Houston. You can spot a meth user pretty easily.

Not totally sure it’s accurate everywhere but from what I’ve seen meth is regional. Wherever it is though, it’s devastating.  Anti meth tv ads and billboards have been all over for years back home.  It’s hardly ever mentioned where I live now.  Not sure why. 

Fentanyl, that one doesn’t surprise me pretty much anywhere 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

The difference is obvious. There use to be tent cities under bridges.  Now you see a random single tent here and there 

quinones goes into the reasons for it today. chiefly the explosion of meth and fentynal.
    We used to have functioning tweekers.  These days we don't...

meth formulas  changed with the crackdown on ephidrene. went back to the P2P method?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

meth formulas  changed with the crackdown on ephidrene. went back to the P2P method?
    I know I'm being facetious but still.  It's wild that we have people on Meth that are this bad off now.  Fentanyl, I learned has been around for years and they are finally getting around to using it in pretty much every street drug now.  This will eventually be as bad if not worse than the crack epidemic as I don't think we are quite there yet.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I know I'm being facetious but still.  It's wild that we have people on Meth that are this bad off now.  Fentanyl, I learned has been around for years and they are finally getting around to using it in pretty much every street drug now.  This will eventually be as bad if not worse than the crack epidemic as I don't think we are quite there yet.

listen to that podcast.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    It’s amazing people even wanted to live there. 

is aesthetics a uniquely 20th century thing? Never mind the filth 

even in disgusting houston they try to make it look nice.  There are trees and stuff. It hides the trash. Dallas looks even worse.

It's a little amazing to me that so many people still want to live here.  Most of the year it is a lot drier and less colorful than that second photo depicts (although there are brief periods where it is pretty here), the place is crawling with Trumpers, and the developers are having their way with the foothills areas here big-time.

This country has really become a split personality when it comes to aesthetics (and wealth).  We do seem to try to keep up the facade, but which of these, for example, best represents our closest city, Sacramento?
    10050 Sacramento California Stock Photos Pictures  Royalty-Free Images -  iStockHomeless activists urge officials to open warming centers  The Sacramento  Bee

That’s about right. Picture 1 looks great until you zoom in

same here but thankfully the homeless issue is handled pretty well.  It’s one thing houston does a good job with 

That's great to hear.   It's not being handle well out here at all.  Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, even here in Placerville, the situation is a terrible mess.
    This is just outside of town here:

Removing homeless camps an ongoing job in Placerville

The deep pit of homelessness Occupants of Placerville encampment share  their stories

I tell you if I was homeless I would make my area tidy so people wouldn't fuss about me being there...

@brianlux I used to live in Santa Clarita.  It was a cool place to live.  You could roam the foothills and find tarantulas, trap door spiders, rattlers and racers and a whole bunch of different lizards.  It has become so built up now all those areas we had free range on are now houses. 

Beautiful Sand Canyon became row homes now...

At least they still have the washes you can roam freely in to explore.

That's saying a lot as you are relatively young, so that is quickly changed down that way.  But these days, things really build up fast and it really is sad how overbuilt so much of California has become.  We are watching the southern end of Folsom transforming from open golden hills to dense housing in very short order.
    I grew up in the Bay Area a little less than 2 miles from Shoreline Amphitheater.  There were still a number of farms in the area, undeveloped fields, free running creeks with wildlife, and US 101 (Bayshore Freeway) had stop lights!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

listen to that podcast.
    Listening now.  Unhoused rather than homeless?  That's a new one.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

listen to that podcast.
    this came up last week when I saw that word in the paper. my dad (74) was aghast. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

listen to that podcast.
    this came up last week when I saw that word in the paper. my dad (74) was aghast. 
    Read an article about that immediately after hearing that term.  When asked how they would like to be addressed "unhoused, homeless, or people experiencing homelessness" the major response was "anything that is described w respect" then they didn't care.

It's one of those things that I don't get but hey, people are working on eradicating it and the word so it's going the right direction.
    homeless apparently implies someone as being "less than". I guess. I've been carless. I never considered myself less than and wanted to be called uncarred. or transitful. 

but whatever a group wishes to be called, so be it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2022
    Whatever they want to be called is fine with me.

unhoused cleans up the language.  Homelessness is a double suffix.  It seems clunky 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    “Recently unfortunate” 
    “Recently unfortunate” 
    I was going to say “van life”, but  millennials who want a permanent vacation appropriated it. 
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    mickeyrat said:

Really interesting article @cropdu@Cropduster-80 Thanks for posting it. Would love to know the follow up on Terri Harris.
    I dunno, "homeless" seems right to me.  It's like what George Carlin said about euphemistic language.  SHELL SHOCK-- direct, honest, to the point- was eventually degraded to the bland "post traumatic stress syndrome".   I have never been completely homeless, but due to no other option at the time, I once lived in my vehicle for the most of three years, and even that seemed rather homeless to me. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    I dunno, "homeless" seems right to me.  It's like what George Carlin said about euphemistic language.  SHELL SHOCK-- direct, honest, to the point- was eventually degraded to the bland "post traumatic stress syndrome".   I have never been completely homeless, but due to no other option at the time, I once lived in my vehicle for the most of three years, and even that seemed rather homeless to me. 

shell shock was specific to soldiers though. PTSD can occur in nearly anyone......

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

shell shock was specific to soldiers though. PTSD can occur in nearly anyone......

Very true (I only know too well).  Carlin was talking about shell shock/ battle fatigue/ operational exhaustion/ post traumatic stress disorder all within the same context.
    But we're veering way off topic here... on AMT?  Never!  :lol:

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Very true (I only know too well).  Carlin was talking about shell shock/ battle fatigue/ operational exhaustion/ post traumatic stress disorder all within the same context.
    Staying off topic 😂

shell shock, battle fatigue, operational exhaustion etc all seem to imply taking a nap will cure it.  

PTSD clarifies a disorder and describes its after a trauma

as with a lot of things, rebranding or renaming doesn’t always imply some left woke agenda as if often thrown around (generally speaking, not you specifically)

I think sometimes it is functionally necessary 
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Staying off topic 😂

shell shock, battle fatigue, operational exhaustion etc all seem to imply taking a nap will cure it.  

as with a lot of things, rebranding or renaming doesn’t always imply some left woke agenda as if often thrown around (generally speaking, not you specifically)

when you know better. do better

maya angelou

edited August 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Staying off topic 😂

maya angelou
    People were seriously pissed when they changed the   ABC song.  Kids thinking LMNO was one letter didn’t seem to matter.

changing anything upsets people

swinging it around to on topic.  If that’s the mentality to any change, how do you adopt a climate policy which involves actual major change which is a lot more substantial than the words to a childrens song?

it kind of does relate to this thread 
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Staying off topic 😂

maya angelou
    People were seriously pissed when they changed the   ABC song.  Kids thinking LMNO was one letter didn’t seem to matter.

changing anything upsets people

I'm sticking with Big Birds song which start out like an "a" word (as anyone can see), but somewhere in the middle gets awfully qr to me.

the alphabet song was changed?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

referenced from wiki entry of the alphabet song

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mickeyrat said:

referenced from wiki entry of the alphabet song

I’m gonna petition Ed to slow down Ledbetter even more, bc this is what I think he’s saying…

https://youtu.be/xLd22ha_-VU

mickeyrat said:
    So when this happened in 2008ish? The farmers started drilling wells to get the water they needed.  This ended up having grounds sinking from the draining of the water.

California gave $500 to people to tear out their lawns.

AZ changed their prisons water system by putting grey water in the toilets rather than fresh.

Most if not more golf courses should be watered w reclaimed water.
    mickeyrat said:
    So when this happened in 2008ish? The farmers started drilling wells to get the water they needed.  This ended up having grounds sinking from the draining of the water.

AZ changed their prisons water system by putting grey water in the toilets rather than fresh.

I didn't know parts of California were paying people to tear out lawns, but for every step forward this state makes in terms of water, we take two or three or four back.  Prime example:  I had to go down to Sacramento today for another Mohs surgery (skin cancer) and heading down there, was shocked yet again to see the lower foothills around Folsom being rapidly transformed from what was very recently large tracts of open space into massive development.  It literally made me shudder to see.  And then at the clinic, I overheard someone who drove down I-50 from the north into Sac talking about how appalled she was by the massive housing and commercial development going on right now in the great Sacramento Valley.  She added, "Where are they going to get all the water for these people and these businesses?" 
    Exactly.  This is a disaster in the making, it is prevalent in California, and the problems it will create will be felt beyond the borders of this state.  Madness and greed have taken over.

edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I didn't know parts of California were paying people to tear out lawns, but for every step forward this state makes in terms of water, we take two or three or four back.  Prime example:  I had to go down to Sacramento today for another Mohs surgery (skin cancer) and heading down there, was shocked yet again to see the lower foothills around Folsom being rapidly transformed from what was very recently large tracts of open space into massive development.  It literally made me shudder to see.  And then at the clinic, I overheard someone who drove down I-50 from the north into Sac talking about how appalled she was by the massive housing and commercial development going on right now in the great Sacramento Valley.  She added, "Where are they going to get all the water for these people and these businesses?" 
    Exactly.  This is a disaster in the making, it is prevalent in California, and the problems it will create will be felt beyond the borders of this state.  Madness and greed have taken over.

desalination,  seems California's only alternative at this poiint.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,480
    edited August 2022
    Seems more and more going to less and less.

Largest private land owners in the United States in 2021

NameEmmerson family
    Acres
    LocationsCalif./Ore./Wash.
    Main source of wealthLumber
    NameJohn Malone
    Acres
    LocationsVarious
    Main source of wealthCable TV
    NameReed family
    Acres
    LocationsWest and South
    NameTed Turner
    Acres
    LocationsN.M./Mont./Midwest
    NameKroenke Ranches
    Acres
    LocationsWest and Texas
    Main source of wealthReal estate, sports teams
    NameIrving family
    Acres
    LocationsMaine
    Main source of wealthLumber, frozen food, transportation
    NamePeter Buck family
    Acres
    LocationsMaine
    Main source of wealthSubway sandwich shops
    NameBrad Kelley
    Acres
    LocationsN.M./Tex./Southeast
    Main source of wealthDiscount cigarettes
    NameSingleton family 
    Acres
    LocationsCalif./N.M.
    Main source of wealthTechnology
    NameKing Ranch heirs
    Acres
    LocationsCalif./Fla./Tex.
    Main source of wealthRanching, agribusiness
    NameOTHER NOTABLES
    Acres
    Locations
    Main source of wealth
    NameJeff Bezos
    Acres
    LocationsTex.
    Main source of wealthAmazon
    NameBill Gates
    Acres
    LocationsVarious
    Main source of wealthMicrosoft
    NameTaylor Sheridan
    Acres
    LocationsTex.
    Main source of wealthMovies and TV
    Source: The Land Report

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/08/16/ranch-land-west-billionaires/
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

desalination,  seems California's only alternative at this poiint.

Depopulation would be my first choice, but that looks like a long shot. 
    Seems more and more going to less and less.

Largest private land owners in the United States in 2021

NameEmmerson family
    Acres
    LocationsCalif./Ore./Wash.

NameJohn Malone
    Acres
    LocationsVarious

NameReed family
    Acres
    LocationsWest and South

NameTed Turner
    Acres
    LocationsN.M./Mont./Midwest

NameKroenke Ranches
    Acres
    LocationsWest and Texas
    Main source of wealthReal estate, sports teams

NameIrving family
    Acres
    LocationsMaine
    Main source of wealthLumber, frozen food, transportation

NamePeter Buck family
    Acres
    LocationsMaine
    Main source of wealthSubway sandwich shops

NameBrad Kelley
    Acres
    LocationsN.M./Tex./Southeast
    Main source of wealthDiscount cigarettes

NameSingleton family 
    Acres
    LocationsCalif./N.M.
    Main source of wealthTechnology

NameKing Ranch heirs
    Acres
    LocationsCalif./Fla./Tex.
    Main source of wealthRanching, agribusiness

NameOTHER NOTABLES
    Acres

Locations
    Main source of wealth

NameJeff Bezos
    Acres
    LocationsTex.
    Main source of wealthAmazon

NameBill Gates
    Acres
    LocationsVarious
    Main source of wealthMicrosoft

NameTaylor Sheridan
    Acres
    LocationsTex.
    Main source of wealthMovies and TV
    Source: The Land Report

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/08/16/ranch-land-west-billionaires/

Surely not this Peter Buck?!
    undefined

Ted Turner was buying up acres in Montana before it was cool.  I would expect when he dies that it all becomes a state park?