Smashing Pumpkins

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Looks like tonight’s show went without any issues.  

Band has yet to address or post about the cancellation on social media.  All communication was via a single venue email.

Must be that magical 12 hour illness!
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Looks like tonight’s show went without any issues.  

Band has yet to address or post about the cancellation on social media.  All communication was via a single venue email.

Must be that magical 12 hour illness!

same openers? bones uk?
    thats was listed since start of tour. excrpt now my Saturday show has a group called aeirs?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Zod said:
    I think the last time they were schedule to play vancouver they cancelled for lowticketsaleacitus too.   Hoping the one in November sticks.
    I hope you get your show, but dude, brace yourself...

I saw that.   When the show went up for sale that whole side of the arena had no tickets for sale.  I thought that was really odd, then wham now they're all sitting there unsold.

I hope the show happens, but am also mentally preparing for lowticketsaleacitus.

Did Corgan overestimate the popularity of the pumpkins in the 21st century?
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    I think the last time they were schedule to play vancouver they cancelled for lowticketsaleacitus too.   Hoping the one in November sticks.

I saw that.   When the show went up for sale that whole side of the arena had no tickets for sale.  I thought that was really odd, then wham now they're all sitting there unsold.

I hope the show happens, but am also mentally preparing for lowticketsaleacitus.

hasnt he always been the underappreciated misunderstood artist?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    Seems odd they probably sold as many MCIS reissues on vinyl as they did tickets on the days both were available.  Pricing is similar enough 

normally I would think more people would be willing to spend 100 bucks on a show before they would on a record 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

They sold pretty well when they reunited with James back in 2018. But I think a lot of casual fans got their fill then (plus they were playing 3+, hour,30+ song sets so word got out about that which helped), coupled with the pandemic effect on concert ticket sales as a whole and the recent music not making any kind of splash and the demand is definitely not what it was just 4 years ago, in fact it's probably only 25-30% of that level which is kind of stunning. And Jane's Addiction on the bill is apparently having negligible impact on adding to demand as well.
    Just don't think they are an arena band anymore. Should be doing 5,000 seat pavilion type venues at best, maybe even theaters.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Local H may not be a great comparison, but man they play some tiny places and a great show. If only SP could suck it up like them and play smaller venues. It’s not a knock on them and must feel better when the venue is filled
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    So people think they faked an illness to cancel a poorly sold show? Too much QAnon up in here! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    Local H may not be a great comparison, but man they play some tiny places and a great show. If only SP could suck it up like them and play smaller venues. It’s not a knock on them and must feel better when the venue is filled
    I'd say Collective Soul is a good comparison to the Pumpkins. They also have a good 8-10 radio hits, tour regularly, and play to 4-5k seat theatre and kill it everytime I've seen them. 

I've never experienced it, but if an arena does have poor sales, and you have seats, do they notify you and upgrade you to a better section day of show? Or are there just sections of empty seats with spots of people?
    So people think they faked an illness to cancel a poorly sold show? Too much QAnon up in here! 
    I think it’s probably in the middle. An illness can be real and also a situation where a show wouldn’t be cancelled under normal circumstances.  I think it’s an out if they want one.  I guess that just speaks to overall motivation more than anything… generally. No idea about this specific show
    hihobibo said:
    I'd say Collective Soul is a good comparison to the Pumpkins. They also have a good 8-10 radio hits, tour regularly, and play to 4-5k seat theatre and kill it everytime I've seen them. 

I've never experienced it, but if an arena does have poor sales, and you have seats, do they notify you and upgrade you to a better section day of show? Or are there just sections of empty seats with spots of people?
    I have only experienced it once with Five Finger Death Punch / Three Days Grace. Had no idea it sold so poorly, but when we walked in to the arena you were basically instructed to visit one of the tables set up in the venue where they checked your ticket and if you had upper level, they marked you off and handed you however many for the lower bowl. 

With it being more mobile ticket focused now, they may do it automatically? Not sure. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited May 2022
    Yes, I do think they did, nothing "QAnon" about it.

The doors opened at 5:30.  Show canceled minutes before that.  They had all day to announce a cancelation if someone was ill.  All morning, the venue was sending emails offering "same day ticket upgrades".  They also pulled the entire seating chart offline around lunchtime to make it seem like the show was sold out.  

The band and their social media did not make a single comment/post regarding the cancelation, and all of the info came via a single venue-provided email.  They clearly wanted to hide the fact that they canceled.  The Pumpkins instagram story just kept posting fan videos of previous shows all night as concert go-ers wanted answers.

They then went on to play a completely normal show 24 hours later.   I dont buy their "illness" for a second, sorry
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited May 2022
    They’ll do BOGOs and contest giveaways for the fall tour, but it won’t be enough to fill these arenas. They really should downgrade to 5k auditoriums, like the Aragon in Chicago. 

Coldplay did something new (to me) for this weekend’s shows at Soldier Field…Infinity tickets for $20 ($33 after fees) and you could be anywhere in the stadium, you don’t find out the seat location until you pick up your tickets at the box office. I went for it. I’ve loved their shows in the past but the ridiculous ticket prices and awful new music was going to keep me home this time. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Yes, I do think they did, nothing "QAnon" about it.

The doors opened at 5:30.  Show canceled minutes before that.  They had all day to announce a cancelation if someone was ill.  All morning, the venue was sending emails offering "same day ticket upgrades".  They also pulled the entire seating chart offline around lunchtime to make it seem like the show was sold out.  

The band and their social media did not make a single comment/post regarding the cancelation, and all of the info came via a single venue-provided email.  They clearly wanted to hide the fact that they canceled.  The Pumpkins instagram story just kept posting fan videos of previous shows all night as concert go-ers wanted answers.

They then went on to play a completely normal show 24 hours later.   I dont buy their "illness" for a second, sorry
    You sound so convinced. Nothing more I can say except sorry you weren’t able to go. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    Last time I saw the Pumpkins I bought the cheapest nosebleeds and when we walked into the arena, they exchanged our tickets and we ended up being pretty close on the side stage. I’d like to see the Pumpkins/Jane’s tour this time around, but the price is putting me off. Either I’m going to try the nosebleed strategy again or bank on a last minute fire sale. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Poncier said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

They sold pretty well when they reunited with James back in 2018. But I think a lot of casual fans got their fill then (plus they were playing 3+, hour,30+ song sets so word got out about that which helped), coupled with the pandemic effect on concert ticket sales as a whole and the recent music not making any kind of splash and the demand is definitely not what it was just 4 years ago, in fact it's probably only 25-30% of that level which is kind of stunning. And Jane's Addiction on the bill is apparently having negligible impact on adding to demand as well.
    Just don't think they are an arena band anymore. Should be doing 5,000 seat pavilion type venues at best, maybe even theaters.

I had looked at going to the Seattle show back then, but so many shows were going on at the same time, I went another direction (one of the reasons I'm trying to this time is that it's a November show, which I really appreciate, because too many bands seem to want to tour here at the same time in late august /early sept).

The Seattle show was streamed, and I remember it looking like the upper deck of Key Arena was tarped off, so I I'm not even sure how well that tour was selling in places.

I do agree. I feel like when I went to the Melon Collie tour in 1997 in Vancouver it was peak pumpkins.   An easily sold out ravenous crowd on the back of an amazing album.   I feel like their popularity wanted after that as they changed musical direction, lost members, etc..

It does feel like they should be playing smaller arenas or big theatres 3000 to 7000 seaters maybe?

Some promoter would of thought it would of sold well though.. because someone had to pony up for the gaurantee.. lol.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it's not just the pumpkins thinking they are a bigger draw than they are. it's the promoters. they should know by now that SP aren't an arena band anymore. They haven't been in a long time. Promoters should not be booking these tours. Play a 2500 seater and have it sell out immediately. which it would. add second or third shows if need be. They aren't the Foos and they aren't PJ. they are more like STP, who, with Scott's last tour, had to downgrade from arenas to 1500 seat theatres. if your biggest draw is still your classic hits, that's just how it works. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's not just the pumpkins thinking they are a bigger draw than they are. it's the promoters. they should know by now that SP aren't an arena band anymore. They haven't been in a long time. Promoters should not be booking these tours. Play a 2500 seater and have it sell out immediately. which it would. add second or third shows if need be. They aren't the Foos and they aren't PJ. they are more like STP, who, with Scott's last tour, had to downgrade from arenas to 1500 seat theatres. if your biggest draw is still your classic hits, that's just how it works. 
    Yeah I bet the difference here was the addition of Janes Addiction. Which at least for me was a bigger deal than SP
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    for sure Jane's adds to it. I get that. I'm actually kind of surprised it's not selling. I'd go in an instant. But then, Jane's hasn't released anything new in what, over a decade? and I don't know how many people even bought that album. I don't even know anyone personally but myself who even bought Strays, which came out in 2003. So I think jane's adds to it for people like me, who have never seen them, but for people in the states? I don't know. it would almost have to add a third act or be a festival of some kind to pique interest in people. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,449
    There are some really good seats available for St Louis, but the show is on a Tuesday, 3 hours away from us. Not happening.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Yeah I bet the difference here was the addition of Janes Addiction. Which at least for me was a bigger deal than SP
    I want to go to hear 3 Days and Silverfuck.

If I heard those two live I'd be a happy clam.
    trying to convince a buddy to head to Minnie Nov 4. Never seen JA. Bucket list band. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601

3 days would be a whole set. Love that. She would take me out on sundays we'd go looking through the garbage. She was unhappy just as you werrrrrrrrreeeeeeaaahhhhaaaaoooooaahhhhhaaaa....good night!!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited May 2022
    edited May 2022
    Stalked PRR last night figuring they would have a few. Newsletters go out all over the map. One week 7:30, last night after 10 CT. Gave up 2 minutes before it dropped and fucking missed another MCIS drop. 
    That drop was late. It hung around at least 20 minutes, so they got quite a few. 

Well shit! I’m officially giving up chasing this one. 
    Plaid  room… good luck 

TONS more of the Mellon Collie box set back in this week! ”
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    And gone 
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    Of course I missed it 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Loujoe said:

3 days would be a whole set. Love that. She would take me out on sundays we'd go looking through the garbage. She was unhappy just as you werrrrrrrrreeeeeeaaahhhhaaaaoooooaahhhhhaaaa....good night!!
    The whole 3 days thing, lyrics, story, album cover, fascinates the shit out of me.
    SHOW IS ON!!!!  Local record shop posted a couple pics of BC doing some shopping. The last time they were in town , he visited as well.||totally trying to draw attention to himself too. Wearing a matching Long sleeve ZERO shirt with stars down the arms and on the sides of the pants. Like a track suit combo....