The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This is ridiculous imo. Are we really to the point where we have to babysit everyone? Tell them who not to listen to and who to listen to regarding this fuckin virus? “Waaahhh I don’t like what he’s saying. It’s either me or him”. He sounds like an elderly baby. 

Interesting take, Nick.  He sounds to me more like a wise elder saying, "Fuck this guy for spreading information that is harmful to others," and then using his position as an well respected artist to make a difference- not because that is more important than his art (he has stated previously that he is a musician first before being an activist), but simply because he is in a position to do so, because he has the ability to use his visibility to do something positive.  Damn, I wish I had that opportunity.
    I respect your opinion. “It’s me or him” sounds like something a child would say. How many intelligent people were about to get vaccinated, then tuned into a podcast hosted by a ufc commentator/stand up comedian , then changed their mind? Enough to make a difference? I doubt it. Anti vaxers were around long before trump, Covid or the joe Rogan podcast. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This is ridiculous imo. Are we really to the point where we have to babysit everyone? Tell them who not to listen to and who to listen to regarding this fuckin virus? “Waaahhh I don’t like what he’s saying. It’s either me or him”. He sounds like an elderly baby. 

Interesting take, Nick.  He sounds to me more like a wise elder saying, "Fuck this guy for spreading information that is harmful to others," and then using his position as an well respected artist to make a difference- not because that is more important than his art (he has stated previously that he is a musician first before being an activist), but simply because he is in a position to do so, because he has the ability to use his visibility to do something positive.  Damn, I wish I had that opportunity.
    I respect your opinion. “It’s me or him” sounds like something a child would say. How many intelligent people were about to get vaccinated, then tuned into a podcast hosted by a ufc commentator/stand up comedian , then changed their mind? Enough to make a difference? I doubt it. Anti vaxers were around long before trump, Covid or the joe Rogan podcast. 

I know you're telling it like you see it, Nick, but I have to disagree here because this is more than about Rogan or other being anti-vaccination. It is also about Rogan making false claims about the pandemic and unproven treatments.  The man has a huge number of fans and and many of them will fall for his lies and spread them to other people.  Joe Rogan is a bit like a virus himself, spreading harm to other people.  Neil Young has brought attention to this by his actions.  Personally, I'm grateful for that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,620
    httpscmszerohedgecoms3filesinline-images2022-01-25_0pngitokb_NeWqib

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I know you're telling it like you see it, Nick, but I have to disagree here because this is more than about Rogan or other being anti-vaccination. It is also about Rogan making false claims about the pandemic and unproven treatments.  The man has a huge number of fans and and many of them will fall for his lies and spread them to other people.  Joe Rogan is a bit like a virus himself, spreading harm to other people.  Neil Young has brought attention to this by his actions.  Personally, I'm grateful for that.
    I respect that Brian. I see where you’re coming from but I just can’t get there. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I wish there were more like it on AMT. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I respect that Brian. I see where you’re coming from but I just can’t get there. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I wish there were more like it on AMT. 

It's a mine field here, that for sure, Nick!  IO appreciate your civil reply.

I think all of us here could learn to be more thoughtful in our responses on AMT.  I know I've been guilty of knee-jerk replies. In 2016 or 2017, I actually banned myself from AMT for 6 months after saying something highly inappropriate to Trump supporters in 2016.  I was lucky to not receive a permanent ban for what I said.  I think we can all learn to be better here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited January 2022
    ME: Mark who?
    Regarding this guy, I would quote President Biden:  "Stupid son of a bitch."

brianlux said:
    Lmfa of…Joe war monger…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    Lmfa of…Joe war monger…
    Haha. No shit.

And those supposedly “better than that” have shown themselves as the opposite. 

Ahh well. My little insignificant opinion.
    One could say, we are but little specks, incredibly small and insignificant.   I'm glad there are a few bigger "stars" in the universe that can help bring about change for the good.  I am not one.

Ah yes. “Stars”.  Got it. 
    edited January 2022
    In quotes.  No worship, just respect.
    On to other things.  Bye!
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:
    In quotes.  No worship, just respect.
    On to other things.  Bye!
    Deja vu….
    Like what Einstein said, it all comes back around!

So Al was was into reach-arounds…interesting. 
    It's all in the wrist.
    Boomerang GIFs  Tenor

hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    Lmfa of…Joe war monger…
    Haha. No shit.

And those supposedly “better than that” have shown themselves as the opposite. 

Ahh well. My little insignificant opinion.
    Must be elections this year…hmmmm
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited January 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

The babysitting/child analogy is interesting, but it is Rogan acting like a child that caused an artist like Neil to do what he did. Rogan/Spotify profiting off of false information because their target audience loves it is the ultimate in dangerous childish behavior. The author of I Am a Child yelling at a grown man acting like a child is just too rich to pass up.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    Well I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited January 2022
    Ugh.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Neil should debate him on the Rogan show.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I don't see Young as being childish. And he's not stupid. I'm sure he realises Spotify would rather have Rogan than himself. In a sense, he's canceling himself off the platform.

If he doesn't want to be involved with Spotify over allowing the spread of misinformation (or what he perceives to be misinformation) that's his choice, no? 

We saw this same stuff with Facebook and Twitter, and they both acted way too late in removing content that was harmful. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    thats capitalism isnt it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    this is kinda silly. I mean, to take Neil seriously, I think you have to take into consideration if his demand not being met would even make a difference in his life. he's risking nearly zero if spotify calls his bluff. he makes no money off spotify. no one does. and exposure at his level is meaningless. Rogan is one of their biggest assets. he's just taking a "moral" stand without having to really back it up with anything. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Joe Rogan is making money off Spotify…about 100 million…so I would not say money is not being paid …
    Give Peas A Chance…
    this is kinda silly. I mean, to take Neil seriously, I think you have to take into consideration if his demand not being met would even make a difference in his life. he's risking nearly zero if spotify calls his bluff. he makes no money off spotify. no one does. and exposure at his level is meaningless. Rogan is one of their biggest assets. he's just taking a "moral" stand without having to really back it up with anything. 
    Exactly.

BFD.  Neil knows who his fans are, and I don't blame him for not wanting to share the same platform with an idiot like Rogan. 

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    It'll be interesting to see whether anyone else follows suit. Particularly a certain band that loves Uncle Neil and once cancelled a concert in North Carolina in order to be like the Boss.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    brianlux said:
    Exactly.

BFD.  Neil knows who his fans are, and I don't blame him for not wanting to share the same platform with an idiot like Rogan. 
    It’s amusing to me…that’s all.

im not a big Young fan anyways.  I’ve watched a few Rogan episodes.  I’ve yet to see him say anything over the top.  I will say this, the dude smokes a lot of Cannabis and seems more curious about stuff than anything at times…so maybe getting lit and hosting a podcast is not good idea…I’ve softened a little on Rogan…but as others say It depends on the guest…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I'd say if he has little to lose, and the potential to start a trend (i.e. other artists following suit) for positive reasons - why not? 

I've seen stranger things 'go viral'. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1