Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    this a big deal, and one that many people have been wanting to know:

Health Minister Audrey Gordon says one-third of Manitoba's COVID-19 hospitalizations are because of the virus itself. The other 66% are people who are in hospital for other reasons, but also happen to have COVID-19. That would represent ~300 of the current 454 hospitalizations

so the true number of covid CAUSED hospitalizations is 2/3 lower than what the public has been getting told for the past two years. Not that this means it's not a serious disease (I'm personally terrified of it), but jesus, tell us the truth already. FINALLY. TWO YEARS IN. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703

Health Minister Audrey Gordon says one-third of Manitoba's COVID-19 hospitalizations are because of the virus itself. The other 66% are people who are in hospital for other reasons, but also happen to have COVID-19. That would represent ~300 of the current 454 hospitalizations

so the true number of covid CAUSED hospitalizations is 2/3 lower than what the public has been getting told for the past two years. Not that this means it's not a serious disease (I'm personally terrified of it), but jesus, tell us the truth already. FINALLY. TWO YEARS IN. 

journalism failure. 

capitalism success. Sell a different varient of fear.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Ontario woman with Stage 4 colon cancer has life-saving surgery postponed indefinitely

Socialized medicine for the WIN…

Pretty sad state the healthcare system is in…
    This is awful. 

My mother passed from cancer in 2018, and the pandemic has made me think about how awful things must be right now for cancer patients. She had so many doctor's appointments, pain management appointments, chemotherapy, and a surgery. To think that people are having cancer procedures put on the backburner due to COVID patients is infuriating. 

Sorry about your mother, cancer sucks.  I lost my mother in 2014,  complications from a broken hip…she broke her hip and waited in an er 18 hours before surgery…you always miss your mother…This probably isn’t an isolated case either.  My brother in law, serious heart issues needs both hips repaired and has had surgery canceled multiple times…he’s a bigger human, he knows he needs to lose weight, his cardiologist wants him to lose weight through diet and exercise…hard to exercise with bad hips…it’s a a vicious circle.  

And I think what’s frustrating is almost 2 years in it appears very little has been done to strengthen the system and it appears our politicians have very little interest in strengthening the system…like I’ve said before our politicians have their heals so dug in on vaccinating  their way out of this…they put all their eggs into lockdowns and vaccines…

Well you mentioned in a post above about military field hospitals. Yeah, why aren't there more of those right now? I remember at the height of the pandemic (like March - May 2020) that they were using makeshift hospitals like that. We obviously need more if people like the woman in the article you posted are having cancer surgeries pushed off.  
    What’s even crazier is that in my area we are closing 2 hospitals to be replaced by 1 with fewer beds than the 2 they are closing…the genius behind this plan only makes 1/2 million a year and has his heals dug in.  Lol.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

journalism failure. 

capitalism success. Sell a different varient of fear.......
    not a journalism failure. public health has been asked this specific question for months and either refused to answer or claimed they didn't know. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Fear always  wins in my opinion 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

Does this refer to current hospitalizations or to all hospitalizations over the covid pandemic? Because if it refers to the current situation then your first sentence in the second paragraph is likely incorrect. We may never get all of this data but given what appears to be the differential severity of the different variants, it is likely that the covid positive hospitalizations earlier in the pandemic were more related to illness due to infection. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Starting this weekend all Canadian truckers crossing the border must be vaccinated, or not…at first they weren’t required, then 2 days later they are…so with the our donkeys running the federal government that may change.  The US follow suit a week later…yup people can pile into Costco with excellent social distancing and crowd control policies but the fine folks who deliver your food who don’t come into conact with that many people can’t do their job…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,382
    brianlux said:

Look at the difference in hospitalizations in 3 weeks in Texas. The number of people on vents has doubled, kids counts have quadrupled. Everyone wants to say how "mild" Omicron is, and it may be better than Delta but holy hell when only 57% of the state is fully vaccinated and of those only 30% boosted, this is what we get. And our surge isn't anywhere near peak.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Just......man this is going to get worse and people that need a hospital for other reasons are going to have a difficult time getting it.

Yeah, it's sad how overly optimistic some people are.  Omicron may be less virulent, but it's still lethal enough to be killing many people.  And despite odds of survival with the vaccine, people like my wife's extended family friend who was anti-vax, anti mask are dying the way he did- unprotected.

I sincerely hope everyone here is vaccinated.  Forget what the politicians say.  Forget whatever political party or faith you follow and do the logical thing by getting vaccinated and wear a mask in public or around strangers.  You can always argue the fine points later... but only if you are still breathing.
    Very well said, Brian.

Be safe, everyone.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Mobile hospitals Ottawa spent $300-million to sit in storage while Omicron strains Canada’s health system

It should say Canadian taxpayers have wasted 300 million due to the federal liberals incompetence….

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Does this refer to current hospitalizations or to all hospitalizations over the covid pandemic? Because if it refers to the current situation then your first sentence in the second paragraph is likely incorrect. We may never get all of this data but given what appears to be the differential severity of the different variants, it is likely that the covid positive hospitalizations earlier in the pandemic were more related to illness due to infection. 
    I just meant it's 2/3 lower now, and the public has not been told the true number for the past two years. Sorry, bad wording. You're right, earlier on it could easily (and probably was) a lot closer, but it still would have been nice having the true numbers, instead of public health just brushing it off. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I just meant it's 2/3 lower now, and the public has not been told the true number for the past two years. Sorry, bad wording. You're right, earlier on it could easily (and probably was) a lot closer, but it still would have been nice having the true numbers, instead of public health just brushing it off. 

Would be great to have these numbers throughout. I am not sure if we can get them now, since I'm not sure if the data was collected in such a way that this can be teased out now, but I hope so.

Also important not to underestimate the effect of a covid positive patient on many aspects of how the hospital system runs, even if they aren't very sick with covid. 
  • Options
    Oodles of fine folks graduate Ontario universities and colleges every year with some sort of medical training…many of those folks needs to go to the US to work…why?  Because we have no jobs?  Now that we need these people, the government has not conducted any hiring blitzes to get staff in these hospitals…not to mention the many folks who come to this country with medical degrees who are driving cabs…help these folks meet our qualifications quicker and get them into healthcare settings where they want be and could help ease the Covid strain on the system.  There is always a way, there is a lack of will.

it’s easier to continue to hurt business, children and people with lockdowns than address the problem.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Oodles of fine folks graduate Ontario universities and colleges every year with some sort of medical training…many of those folks needs to go to the US to work…why?  Because we have no jobs?  Now that we need these people, the government has not conducted any hiring blitzes to get staff in these hospitals…not to mention the many folks who come to this country with medical degrees who are driving cabs…help these folks meet our qualifications quicker and get them into healthcare settings where they want be and could help ease the Covid strain on the system.  There is always a way, there is a lack of will.

it’s easier to continue to hurt business, children and people with lockdowns than address the problem.

I can confirm there are massive efforts to recruit medical professionals of all disciplines, and the issues around recredentialing those with foreign training are far more complex than you are recognizing. 
  • Options

Antivirals could be a pandemic game-changer — and they could be in Canada soon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/game-changing-covid-antivirals-canada-soon-1.6314214
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Djokovic appeal to be heard Saturday after Australia cancels visa again

Any Aussies peaking in.  Can’t you guys just deport this spoiled moron…ban him permanently?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Canadian truckers already en route should get reprieve amid vaccine mandate confusion: industry leader

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472

BC CDC modelling today
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    Canada's public health doc is projecting 100 to 250 thousand daily cases in the coming weeks.  Looks like the vaccine us not working.  No way Canada has that many unvaccinated.   
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Canada's public health doc is projecting 100 to 250 thousand daily cases in the coming weeks.  Looks like the vaccine us not working.  No way Canada has that many unvaccinated.   
    what the % of vaccinated hospitalized? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    The data is pretty locked in now, that the original vaccines don’t really help against this variant.  The booster does, but at some 50 to 80% clip, much lower than against the strains for which it was designed.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tish said:
    How many of those hospitalized unvaccinated had broken arms?

That's the data I need to know...

Maybe the vaccinated just don't get as many broken arms.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    The data is pretty locked in now, that the original vaccines don’t really help against this variant.  The booster does, but at some 50 to 80% clip, much lower than against the strains for which it was designed.  
    You mean the vaccines don't really help that much in catching the virus. But they still help in preventing more serious illness. 

That's an important distinction. I know you understand this but just putting it out there for some who don't.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You mean the vaccines don't really help that much in catching the virus. But they still help in preventing more serious illness. 

That's an important distinction. I know you understand this but just putting it out there for some who don't.
    Yes absolutely. It's less effective against prevention,  highly effective against severe disease.  

It does bring up an interesting debate on the OSHA mandate though.  When it was 90+% effective at prevention,  then I was a heavy advocate for the mandate.  If it is not effective at prevention,  does it get closer to personal at that point vs public health?  In other words if it's not stopping spread does the federal govt have a right or interest in mandating it? People who refuse the vax may have severe disease and death,  but that outcome is not communicable.  

Now some may bring up seat belts or helmet laws, there is a difference.  Those went through legislative processes.  The SCOTUS did not rule that vax mandates were not constitutional, rather whether the OHS could unilaterally require. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes absolutely. It's less effective against prevention,  highly effective against severe disease.  

It does bring up an interesting debate on the OSHA mandate though.  When it was 90+% effective at prevention,  then I was a heavy advocate for the mandate.  If it is not effective at prevention,  does it get closer to personal at that point vs public health?  In other words if it's not stopping spread does the federal govt have a right or interest in mandating it? People who refuse the vax may have severe disease and death,  but that outcome is not communicable.  

Now some may bring up seat belts or helmet laws, there is a difference.  Those went through legislative processes.  The SCOTUS did not rule that vax mandates were not constitutional, rather whether the OHS could unilaterally require. 
    I would argue the seat belt/helmet laws...when the public is too stupid to protect itself the government has to step in.

This is a public health issue that requires swift action....no time for legislation in this fucked up political climate.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    dignin said:
    tish said:

This is for my province, not country data.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/modelling-projections.

We call those cases incidentals.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

I would argue the seat belt/helmet laws...when the public is too stupid to protect itself the government has to step in.

This is a public health issue that requires swift action....no time for legislation in this fucked up political climate.
    But if this and future variants continue to evade prevention vax and/or the effects are mild particularly for those vaccinated,  does the OHSA or executive branch still have the interest to mandate it for private business? I think the case is weaker than it was this summer. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    dignin said:
    tish said:

how many folks with broken arms are admitted to the hospital in the first place?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14