Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

Bass board is done. For real this time. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

Guitar board is done too. (I might swap the Retro-Sonic Phaser for a Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser, though.)

These are most of my extras lurking about. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    dudeman said:

Guitar board is done too. (I might swap the Retro-Sonic Phaser for a Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser, though.)
    looks nice!

what's that yellow in utero lookin one under the wah?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    dudeman said:

looks nice!

what's that yellow in utero lookin one under the wah?
    The yellow one is a the foot switch for my amp. Channel switching and reverb.

The stock foot switch is really big so I just made another one in a smaller box. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Check out Trey's pedals from the 2021 tour.  My god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZKjKaQdW9w
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    mcgruff10 said:
    Check out Trey's pedals from the 2021 tour.  My god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZKjKaQdW9w
    Dude could drive to the moon with that thing on the floor! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    you guys see this? it sounds like the Ten tones in a box.

i got on the waiting list, as if i don't already have enough drive pedals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeH6kQmNeOA
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

also saw that bill finnegan is releasing a batch of klon ktrs to official klon dealers within 3 weeks. like a damned fool i signed up for a few of the lists at those dealers... as if i don't already have 2 tumnus pedals...

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

That looks cool.   They closed the waiting list … they have 1500 orders and make 50 a week so that will give me some time to see if I can discover the tones with my current gear.  
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    New Justin Chancellor pedal........

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    DIY tip ... I bought a small standing desk module to sit my pedalboard on and so far I'm quite pleased with the results ...

It fits my Holey Board 123 module perfect ... more for your home setup, especially in a studio where you want to make adjustments to your pedalboard but don't want to have someone make adjustments on your back from leaning over!

Just a little idea if  ... I think it was around $75

Jason P said:
    DIY tip ... I bought a small standing desk module to sit my pedalboard on and so far I'm quite pleased with the results ...

It fits my Holey Board 123 module perfect ... more for your home setup, especially in a studio where you want to make adjustments to your pedalboard but don't want to have someone make adjustments on your back from leaning over!

that is a good idea. i was thinking about getting something similar for my holeyboard because i am tired of bending over and tweaking knobs. especially when the pedal shifts and the zip tie moves the knobs oh so slightly, lol.

Jason P said:

That looks cool.   They closed the waiting list … they have 1500 orders and make 50 a week so that will give me some time to see if I can discover the tones with my current gear.  
    i got an email yesterday that said i am eligible to pay for mine in mid Feb and receive it sometime in march 2022. im surprised i am that far back in the queue when i signed up the day after that demo video was released.

Jason P said:

that is a good idea. i was thinking about getting something similar for my holeyboard because i am tired of bending over and tweaking knobs. especially when the pedal shifts and the zip tie moves the knobs oh so slightly, lol.

I just got my holeyboard last week ... i have everything assembled, pedals laid out, wired and cabled ... just not yet secured.  I'm pondering the zip ties, which seems to be the intended purpose, but as you noted, the holes in the holeyboard don't align in the way that doesn't make it look like a drunk person assembled it.  =)  (it's not that bad).

But I am pondering other methods to secure it before zip-ties.  Velcro makes sense, but as you also noted, you will be dealing with sticky adhesive and movement sooner or later.   I might go to the home depot and see if I come up with any ideas.  Maybe some clamps ... the board itself lends itself to self mods with all the holes.

FYI - I wasn't a big fan of the overlap of the modules as the directions intend it to be installed ... so for $8 I bought a parts kit from sweetwater that includes another connection plate exactly like the one that connects the pedal ... I used that to connect modules 1 and 2 side-by-side ... there is a slight offset on upper row due one module being slightly smaller, but it actually matches up pretty well and you have an even surface for pedals that straddle the two modules.  It is pretty rigid for what I'm using it for but if I was moving it around a bit I would probably add a metal strip to brace the back of the modules together for structural rigidity.

Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

I just got my holeyboard last week ... i have everything assembled, pedals laid out, wired and cabled ... just not yet secured.  I'm pondering the zip ties, which seems to be the intended purpose, but as you noted, the holes in the holeyboard don't align in the way that doesn't make it look like a drunk person assembled it.  =)  (it's not that bad).

But I am pondering other methods to secure it before zip-ties.  Velcro makes sense, but as you also noted, you will be dealing with sticky adhesive and movement sooner or later.   I might go to the home depot and see if I come up with any ideas.  Maybe some clamps ... the board itself lends itself to self mods with all the holes.

FYI - I wasn't a big fan of the overlap of the modules as the directions intend it to be installed ... so for $8 I bought a parts kit from sweetwater that includes another connection plate exactly like the one that connects the pedal ... I used that to connect modules 1 and 2 side-by-side ... there is a slight offset on upper row due one module being slightly smaller, but it actually matches up pretty well and you have an even surface for pedals that straddle the two modules.  It is pretty rigid for what I'm using it for but if I was moving it around a bit I would probably add a metal strip to brace the back of the modules together for structural rigidity.

that is the cool thing about the holeyboards. they are super versatile and you can customize them. i am not super handy so i did not want to mess with altering mine. mine is a smaller board for a smaller living room setup. if i were going to gig it i would maybe need to overlap the modules a little less to make more room. my issue with the zip ties is some of the pedals have the knobs kind of close to the switch so there is not a great space to get a zip tie between the knobs and the switch. velcro would be a good use there i think. you can really do either or with the velcro vs zip ties. i am pretty happy with mine. i just wanted something 2 tiered that would be functional and look clean and decent. i have swapped pedals on and off of mine recently so it totally looks like a drunk man put mine together. i may actually have been drunk at the time. i do not remember, haha.

edited November 2021
    I'm looking at adding a volume pedal to the front of my setup.  The Morley 20/20 Wah/Volume pedal looks intriguing ... small footprint and two pedals in one ... the only thing holding back is that the Morey volume sweep isn't linear, i.e. it only kicks it in the last 3/4 throw of the foot pedal.  Morley say it is helpful in atmospheric swells ... which is something I would like to do ... but the downside is that you lose 3/4 of the pedal control for sensitivity. 

Morley website shows instructions for modding the pedal to a linear volume swell, but it is a little more complicated then twisting a dial ... need to take the pedal apart and alter things ...

Anyone have experience with Morley volume pedals?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited November 2021
    I really like both the Ernie Ball and Dunlop volume pedals. Hilton and Goodrich for cork sniffers and the choice for pedal steel players, where the swell technique came from.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited November 2021
    A buddy of mine has been through a bunch of volume pedals. He is definitely a cork sniffer when it comes to gear and according to him, Lehle makes the best ones. The taper of the travel is important, of course but also the loading  effect on your guitar signal. He thinks the Lehle is the most transparent and has smoothest taper.

Myself, I have never had a volume pedal but I've owned a couple Morley wahs. They were definitely different than the typical Vox or Dunlop Crybaby and seemed far more linear in their sweep with a smoother peak. Rock solid construction and super reliable though!

Not sure if this helps or not. At the very least, can you buy one from a place with a return policy and send it back if it doesn't work for you?
    Post edited by dudeman on
    Good tips.

Probably the best tip is to go try it out and see for myself if I can find a demo ...  
    Rookie question. I have the following pedals in the following order: 
    Tuner
    overdrive
    distortion
    delay

Is that the correct order to have them in?
    thanks.  
    Conventional placement would be: Tuner - OD - Distortion - Delay.

BUT, it is definitely worth experimenting with the order, especially whether the OD is before the distortion or after.

The cool thing about pedals is that there are a few guidelines, but no rules. The experimentation is really fun and you can learn a lot about how different effects types interact with each other. 
    so the pedal sounds different when you change the order?   
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    Awesome stuff!!!  Thank you.
    Another rookie question, do you guys play more than one pedal at the same time?  
    mcgruff10 said:
    Another rookie question, do you guys play more than one pedal at the same time?  
    yep
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Just a word of warning…content from the Vertex/RigDoctor is not to be trusted without verifying another source. 

Personally, I use tuner placement as a bit of a routing hack. They can really go about anywhere, especially if you don’t have pitch modulation on the board.
    DewieCox said:
    Just a word of warning…content from the Vertex/RigDoctor is not to be trusted without verifying another source. 

Personally, I use tuner placement as a bit of a routing hack. They can really go about anywhere, especially if you don’t have pitch modulation on the board.
    Yeah - he's not my favorite.  I find the other channels to be much more entertaining/informative.

True - tuners can go anywhere, as long as the rest of your pedals are off when tuning.

To further complicate things, some tuners are buffered.  So I keep mine routed off the volume pedal so it's not in my signal chain at all.
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Just ordered one of these-

https://youtu.be/U_FP4ih9Q2g
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009