Options

Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,166
    spent all day yesterday working on my clean board for my princeton and matchless. swapped a bunch of things off and went back to velcro instead of zip ties.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    spent all day yesterday working on my clean board for my princeton and matchless. swapped a bunch of things off and went back to velcro instead of zip ties.

That's a cool board with tons of overdrive options! Do you have some that are always on and stack others as needed?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

That's a cool board with tons of overdrive options! Do you have some that are always on and stack others as needed?
    thanks man.

it depends on the situation and the guitar i am playing. compressor is on a lot of the time with most guitars. with a strat or tele i will usually have the tumnus on all the time. if not the tumnus then the bluesbreaker side of the protein with the steel string are stacked a lot of the time. for humbuckers the primary drive is the blue note or both sides of the protein. the 1991 and 1981 probably get used the least because they can get pretty dirty, but to me it is nice to have those options on there. i haven't found anything to really stack with the 1981, but i just built this yesterday so i haven't had a lot of time to play with that one. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    dudeman said:

thanks man.

it depends on the situation and the guitar i am playing. compressor is on a lot of the time with most guitars. with a strat or tele i will usually have the tumnus on all the time. if not the tumnus then the bluesbreaker side of the protein with the steel string are stacked a lot of the time. for humbuckers the primary drive is the blue note or both sides of the protein. the 1991 and 1981 probably get used the least because they can get pretty dirty, but to me it is nice to have those options on there. i haven't found anything to really stack with the 1981, but i just built this yesterday so i haven't had a lot of time to play with that one. 
    A buddy of mine has a lot of the same pedals as you. He usually uses a Turbo Rat or a Wren and Cuff Box of War to stack with the Bluesbreaker type overdrives. Sounds massive!

I found that Bluesbreakers are really great for low to mid-gain but it is more difficult to find other pedals to stack with them compared to say, Tube Screamer circuits. 

Having a Klone always on at the start of the chain seems to help the Bluesbreaker too, especially if you're going after higher distortion from your amp or other pedals later in the chain. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

thanks man.

A buddy of mine has a lot of the same pedals as you. He usually uses a Turbo Rat or a Wren and Cuff Box of War to stack with the Bluesbreaker type overdrives. Sounds massive!

I found that Bluesbreakers are really great for low to mid-gain but it is more difficult to find other pedals to stack with them compared to say, Tube Screamer circuits. 

Having a Klone always on at the start of the chain seems to help the Bluesbreaker too, especially if you're going after higher distortion from your amp or other pedals later in the chain. 
    dude, a rat pedal with a bluesbreaker is something i haven't tried yet!! i have the bowman audio endeavors threshold maximizer that is his version of a rat that i can totally try with my morning glory! didn't even think of that combo, as the rat gets pretty dirty on its own.

yeah i love the bluesbreaker circuit. it has become one of my favorites. like you said, especially with low to mid gain.

i can't wait to try the rat with the mg!

• Options
    edited October 2023
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

thanks man.

dude, a rat pedal with a bluesbreaker is something i haven't tried yet!! i have the bowman audio endeavors threshold maximizer that is his version of a rat that i can totally try with my morning glory! didn't even think of that combo, as the rat gets pretty dirty on its own.

yeah i love the bluesbreaker circuit. it has become one of my favorites. like you said, especially with low to mid gain.

I'm interested to hear what you think! His go-to is the Turbo Rat which uses LED clipping diodes. It is sharper and more "open" sounding than the silicon diodes in a typical Rat circuit. Much more output, too. He also plays Jazzmasters with 1M ohm pots so I expect a Strat, Tele or Les Paul will be a different experience. YMMV, of course. 

Even though Rats have been around forever, I still find myself being surprised by just how many different uses I can find for one. Anywhere from a dirty boost to screaming distortion, and everything in between. Especially for gigging cover bands and studio sessions, a good Rat is a great tool to have on hand. 

During lockdown, I built a bunch of pedals, some from kits and some of my own. I dug deep into the different variations of Rat pedals and ended up learning a lot about them. As a result, the main OD/distortion I use for bass is one I built based on the Rat.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

thanks man.

I'm interested to hear what you think! His go-to is the Turbo Rat which uses LED clipping diodes. It is sharper and more "open" sounding than the silicon diodes in a typical Rat circuit. Much more output, too. He also plays Jazzmasters with 1M ohm pots so I expect a Strat, Tele or Les Paul will be a different experience. YMMV, of course. 

Even though Rats have been around forever, I still find myself being surprised by just how many different uses I can find for one. Anywhere from a dirty boost to screaming distortion, and everything in between. Especially for gigging cover bands and studio sessions, a good Rat is a great tool to have on hand. 

During lockdown, I built a bunch of pedals, some from kits and some of my own. I dug deep into the different variations of Rat pedals and ended up learning a lot about them. As a result, the main OD/distortion I use for bass is one I built based on the Rat.
    i haven't had a chance to try those two together yet. it sounds like the rat you are talking about is different than what bowman built with the 308 diodes. i have played a few rats over the years and always liked them, but with my old marshall they can get kind of ice picky with the treble. have to dial the tone knob down a bit, which i am not used to doing. here is the bowman video link with luke from the dirty nil talking about it.

https://bowmanaudioendeavors.com/products/threshold-maximizer

i'd love to try building a pedal but i feel like i need to learn how to solder first before i ruin things, haha.

• Options
    That BAE sounds great! Thanks for sharing that video. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    you're welcome. i love luke bentham and i love james bowman, so of course i had to buy one of the first 10 they sold.

• Options
    dudeman said:
    dude, i stacked my morning glory, low gain setting, into the threshold maximizer. i ran it into my clean set matchless, and that stack made that amp sound like a fucking monster! in a good way. thanks for the suggestion!! i am going to play around with it a little more. the funniest thing is, with as much gain as those two pedal put out together, it still cleans up very well by rolling guitar volume off. i didn't expect that. i ended up settling on the tm on all the time, and then goosing it with the morning glory. it does sound great!! here is how i had them set.

• Options
    dudeman said:
    dude, i stacked my morning glory, low gain setting, into the threshold maximizer. i ran it into my clean set matchless, and that stack made that amp sound like a fucking monster! in a good way. thanks for the suggestion!! i am going to play around with it a little more. the funniest thing is, with as much gain as those two pedal put out together, it still cleans up very well by rolling guitar volume off. i didn't expect that. i ended up settling on the tm on all the time, and then goosing it with the morning glory. it does sound great!! here is how i had them set.

That's awesome! Pretty much mirrors my buddy's experience too. It's pretty shocking how much cut and clarity that combo makes, despite all the gain. You would expect mud city but it's not the case.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

That's awesome! Pretty much mirrors my buddy's experience too. It's pretty shocking how much cut and clarity that combo makes, despite all the gain. You would expect mud city but it's not the case.
    the key is low gain setting on the morning glory. i tried the higher gain setting and it was pretty muddy.

• Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

the key is low gain setting on the morning glory. i tried the higher gain setting and it was pretty muddy.
    Cool man! Stacking different dirt pedals has pretty much become its own art form. Haha

Just have to get in there and try different combinations to see what you want to paint with.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Cool man! Stacking different dirt pedals has pretty much become its own art form. Haha

Just have to get in there and try different combinations to see what you want to paint with.
    yeah i never expected to be trying a bluesbreaker with a rat, but here we are, ahaha

• Options
    anybody else buy one of these jhs build it yourself klon clones today?

https://youtu.be/LJGos1D1ha8?si=rKhJzxEYx0dipenv

• Options
    anybody else buy one of these jhs build it yourself klon clones today?

https://youtu.be/LJGos1D1ha8?si=rKhJzxEYx0dipenv
    That's an interesting approach to DIY pedal building. It certainly sounds good in the video too.

I built a Klone using the PCB from BYOC and it turned out great! Theirs has places to add various mods and I added a switch for selecting different clipping diodes. It has become one of my most used pedals and is pretty much always on. 
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 999
    Anyone else have the tonemaster pro or tried it?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    BALLBOY said:
    i tried it at sweetwater a month ago or so. it was pretty cool. would have liked to have spent more time with it but i was pressed for time and had to drive back to st louis so i only had about 15 minutes with it. i want to check it out again.

• Options
    BALLBOY said:
    I'm not familiar with that. Does it have models of the Tone Master amps Fender has been putting out?
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 999
    dudeman said:
    BALLBOY said:
    I'm not familiar with that. Does it have models of the Tone Master amps Fender has been putting out?
    It doesn't have the tonemaster amps included or the tweed deluxes which is a bit strange being they are fender. Still some great tones to be had & made up by yourself. Something you can always tinker with 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    I tried the tonemaster pro. The sounds it has are good and I like the interface a lot and the ability to use the stomp buttons as toggle switches is nice. It’s also well built. What I don’t like is paying the same price for it as the Quad Cortex when the QC allows you to capture amps and pedals. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064

What have I gotten myself into 🤦🏼 building my first real pedalboard. 
    After reading through this thread I am definitely understanding the “just one more pedal and I’m done” comments!  I have an EX Small Clone Chorus pedal arriving Friday. 

I found that pink DOD FX59 in a box of old gear from high school and it is AWESOME
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

After reading through this thread I am definitely understanding the “just one more pedal and I’m done” comments!  I have an EX Small Clone Chorus pedal arriving Friday. 

I found that pink DOD FX59 in a box of old gear from high school and it is AWESOME
    cool - looks like part of this line: 

https://youtu.be/3lcYixBzD5I?si=ymZAbS6OstLDdB3r

your pedal doesn't make the video, tho...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

cool - looks like part of this line: 

https://youtu.be/3lcYixBzD5I?si=ymZAbS6OstLDdB3r

your pedal doesn't make the video, tho...
    Yeah I’ve actually watched that video. Not sure if mine is part of the Lamb line or not
  • Options

Looks like you're off to a great start! Experimentation is the key and pedals are a terrific tool for just that. 
  • Options
    This is one of my bass boards:
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Looks awesome!  Do you use a lot of effects while playing bass?
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Yeah, probably more than a lot of people. More for my own entertainment and satisfaction than anything else. Haha
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Yeah, probably more than a lot of people. More for my own entertainment and satisfaction than anything else. Haha
    How's the NIght Wire? 

My wife got me a Hizumitas for Christmas ('cause I need another fuzz :D)... I'm a sucker for the EQD. 

• Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    How's the NIght Wire? 

My wife got me a Hizumitas for Christmas ('cause I need another fuzz :D)... I'm a sucker for the EQD. 

It's great! There are so many different things that you can do with it. It's a ton of fun and sound quality is top tier.

I love the EQD pedals I've tried. Been curious about the Hizumitas but I haven't seen one in person yet.