Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    threshold maximizer arrrived today. gonna play through it a bit and report back later.
    I'm excited to hear your impressions!

I ordered an Idiotbox Blower Box that should hopefully be here this week. I'm working on putting together a modular pedal board for recording direct and for playing with headphones. Hopefully the Blower Box does not disappoint!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2022
    Just unboxed this little guy, the Pigtronix Constellator modulated analog delay mini pedal. 

It’s the closest thing I could find to the Red Witch Violetta modulated analog delay mini pedal that I originally wanted. 

And now my little board is all filled up.

DOD distortion and flanger pedals, Donner Tutti Love analog chorus mini pedal, Pigtronix Constellator modulated analog delay mini pedal, and power source. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Just unboxed this little guy, the Pigtronix Constellator modulated analog delay mini pedal. 

It’s the closest thing I could find to the Red Witch Violetta modulated analog delay mini pedal that I originally wanted. 

And now my little board is all filled up.

DOD distortion and flanger pedals, Donner Tutti Love analog chorus mini pedal, Pigtronix Constellator modulated analog delay mini pedal, and power source. 
    Cool! That looks great. 

Have you experimented with the order your pedals are in? If it was me, I would probably have the distortion first, then flanger, then chorus and the delay last.
    edited April 2022
    That's how I have it, I think. Except the chorus is last.

The distortion goes out to the loop station/mixer/eight-track/amp/phones/etc., and the chorus is where the instrument plugs in. Is that all backward? That is, are you saying that I'd do better with plugging the instrument into the distortion pedal and the sending the signal out to the loop station/mixer/eight-track/amp/phones/etc. through the delay? Or should I simply switch the chorus and delay pedals so that the instrument plugs into the delay instead of the chorus?

Thanks for your help.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

The distortion goes out to the loop station/mixer/eight-track/amp/phones/etc., and the chorus is where the instrument plugs in. Is that all backward? That is, are you saying that I'd do better with plugging the instrument into the distortion pedal and the sending the signal out to the loop station/mixer/eight-track/amp/phones/etc. through the delay? Or should I simply switch the chorus and delay pedals so that the instrument plugs into the delay instead of the chorus?

Thanks for your help.
    Conventional signal chain would be: 

Guitar -> Distortion -> Flanger -> Chorus -> Delay -> Amp/Mixer

The chorus and flanger could be in either order but it would be easiest to have the flanger first to have everything fit well on your board. 

One thing is that there really are no rules for pedal order, just guidelines. It's best to experiment with what you have by trying different combinations of things and stick with whatever sounds best to you. 
    Thanks a bunch. I'm still new to the world of electric guitars and all their accoutrements.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    No problem man. We all started out right where you are. You just pick things up over time.

FWIW, you are starting out with better gear than I had!
    I had a Harmony faux Strat when I was a kid, and I remember getting so frustrated with it that I finally just smashed it to bits. I'd like to think that I'm more mature now. My father also gave me a very cool Telecaster with a very cool history, but I let it get away because an electric guitar just wasn't feasible for me at the time. I still post on Erie, Pa., Craigslist from time to time, offering to buy it back if anyone out there has it. I know which shop sold it and around when. I also know that it's a shot in the dark, but I'd really like to have that guitar back before I die.

Anyway, I have been playing acoustic for as long as I can remember, though, so I kind of know/knew what to look for when it came to diving into electrics again.

Finally, I switched around my pedals as you mapped above, and now my distortion pedal has it's old spacey feedback power back. I thought it needed repair, but it might have just been its positioning on the board.

So, thanks again.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
    dankind said:
    I had a Harmony faux Strat when I was a kid, and I remember getting so frustrated with it that I finally just smashed it to bits. I'd like to think that I'm more mature now. My father also gave me a very cool Telecaster with a very cool history, but I let it get away because an electric guitar just wasn't feasible for me at the time. I still post on Erie, Pa., Craigslist from time to time, offering to buy it back if anyone out there has it. I know which shop sold it and around when. I also know that it's a shot in the dark, but I'd really like to have that guitar back before I die.

Anyway, I have been playing acoustic for as long as I can remember, though, so I kind of know/knew what to look for when it came to diving into electrics again.

Finally, I switched around my pedals as you mapped above, and now my distortion pedal has it's old spacey feedback power back. I thought it needed repair, but it might have just been its positioning on the board.

So, thanks again.
    Awesome! Glad it worked out. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    dudeman said:
    threshold maximizer arrrived today. gonna play through it a bit and report back later.
    I'm excited to hear your impressions!

I ordered an Idiotbox Blower Box that should hopefully be here this week. I'm working on putting together a modular pedal board for recording direct and for playing with headphones. Hopefully the Blower Box does not disappoint!
    i like it. it is much more usable with my setup than the 1981. does not get the harsh microphonic feedback that the 1981 and other rats i have played would get. the filter knob is much more powerful as it can really dial down and control the treble coming from brighter amps. 

i think i am going to get a jhs screamer or bonzai as well. my friend that builds plexi replicas says "the only drive you ever need for vintage marshalls is a tube screamer" so i may try one of those out. will let you know, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:

Thanks for your help.

The chorus and flanger could be in either order but it would be easiest to have the flanger first to have everything fit well on your board. 

One thing is that there really are no rules for pedal order, just guidelines. It's best to experiment with what you have by trying different combinations of things and stick with whatever sounds best to you. 
    Splitting up your modulation pre and post dirt is a good approach I’ve found. 
    DewieCox said:
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:

Thanks for your help.

Splitting up your modulation pre and post dirt is a good approach I’ve found. 
    I totally agree. The only modulation pedals that I have liked before fuzz and OD are phasers, though.

Phase 90 in front of a Big Muff is glorious!

Chorus is the only other mod I use (sparingly) and every chorus pedal I've had does better after dirt.

Also, I pretty much only use pedals for dirt these days, running fuzz and OD pedals into a clean amp. Modulation pedals into the front of a cranking, gained up amp would probably make me hear things differently. 
    earlier today i missed out on the chance of a lifetime. i was at my parent's house today for easter and i was looking over reverb.com and i saw a gold klon centaur pop up in excellent condition with an asking price of $1800. i looed on the listing and it had only been active for 4 minutes. as you know most of these are going for 7 or 8000 at this point, so this was a steal. i immediately added it to my cart and went to purchase it and the credit card i had stored in reverb expired last month. by the time i entered the new card information the listing ended. someone bought it out from under me in the maybe 2 minutes it took me to update my credit card info. definitely a missed opportunity to find one at that price.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
     I heard last week people are faking Klons.  May have been a good thing you missed out. 
     I heard last week people are faking Klons.  May have been a good thing you missed out. 
    now that i think about it it could have been a fake. but it was listed under a "reverb bump" so i would think that would have some kind of legitimacy. 

who knows. maybe i dodged a bullet this time. 

edited April 2022

Just whipped this together. This is my "ampless rig" for playing bass, whether for direct recording or for practice with headphones while the family is asleep. 

Works great for both!
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    What is on the floor and stand next to Matt's drum kit?  Top white unit looks like a synth.  Not sure what make or model.  I have no idea what the gear on the floor with the wood side panels is.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Some kinda synth. You can see the trigger pedal sticking out off the front. Think Geddy Lee…
    is that the keyboard ed is going to use for river cross, or are they bringing out the actual pump organ this tour?

I think that is the keyboard Jeff uses for DOTC.
    The top keyboard is (i'm pretty sure) a Moog Little Phatty.  A monophonic synth produced from 2006-2013

The bottom thingamagiggy is a Moog Taurus Bass Pedal which appears to have a very limited run ... looks interesting ....

There appear to be several variations of the little phatty and little phatty 2.  This looks pretty close to what's in the pic.

Jeff is a Moog Man

edited May 2022
    now that i think about it it could have been a fake. but it was listed under a "reverb bump" so i would think that would have some kind of legitimacy. 

Reverb Has A Problem Or The Market Is Collapsing - YouTube

I listen to this podcast every week.  Besides every week bashing Gibson's quality I find it informative and entertaining.   Anyway, the first ten minutes is about some suspicious sales including three Klons that were sold for about $1900.  Reminded me of your post.  Who knows but seems suspicious.  Reminds me of my rule with autographs where if I have to ask someone if the autograph looks authentic then I wouldn't buy it because I'll always have the doubt in my head that it is real (more my advice to other people as I don't collect autographs).   
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on

Reverb Has A Problem Or The Market Is Collapsing - YouTube

I listen to this podcast every week.  Besides every week bashing Gibson's quality I find it informative and entertaining.   Anyway, the first ten minutes is about some suspicious sales including three Klons that were sold for about $1900.  Reminded me of your post.  Who knows but seems suspicious.  Reminds me of my rule with autographs where if I have to ask someone if the autograph looks authentic then I wouldn't buy it because I'll always have the doubt in my head that it is real (more my advice to other people as I don't collect autographs).   
    thanks for sharing. the klons i saw sold for about that price and they were sold within minutes. i just went back to look at my recently viewed listings and both klons i almost bought are no longer visible. i guess those were the scam ones he was talking about in the video.

a guy in my band loaned me a jhs morning glory v2 yesterday. i love that thing and will probably end up getting one. that bluesbreaker circuit is really nice. he likes the v2 better than the v4. sounds really great with my princeton and my marshall.

Strymon has updated six of there current pedals (Dig; Deco; El Capitan; Lex; Flint; Blue Sky).  They also updated the price :#

This comes at a pretty good time for me.  I was ready to order a Deco for the tape saturation alone.  But I also wanted to use it with my stereo synths to see how it would sound, as well as the overall master mix ... but in order to switch from mono to stereo on the gen 1 Deco, you needed to unscrew the back and flick a toggle.  Gen 2 has a switch now on the back.  Also has MIDI.  This is a comment from Elecktronauts forum by another person ...

"I actually think Deco benefits more from midi control than most of Strymon’s small box pedals, at least in a live scenario.
    Consider that you can set the pedal up to do tape flange, through-zero flange, chorus, vibrato, ADT, slap back, single or double repeat tape delay AND varying levels of tape saturation from light compression to full on overdrive, it’s probably the most versatile pedal in their lineup outside of Mobius.
    Being able to assign that many sounds to presets instead of knob\switch tweaking? Pretty powerful.

So really, all but one add a knob and make minor tweaks to the existing pedal.  The input / output upgrades are huge to me.?

If I was just going to use the Deco with my guitar and amp, I would be looking for deals on gen 1 Deco right now.  If that is you, you may be able to score a deal on a gen 1 strymon right now

Any thoughts on pedal loop switchers?  There is the Boss ES-5 and 8.  The GigRig.  A few others including shop calling MorningStar which has intrigued me.

Boss seems well made but the tech is a little long in the tooth and seems like an update is around the corner.  GigRig doesn't have the best customer support based on some forum comments on guitar sites and who knows what the lead time is.  MorningStar has there units split ... a MIDI foot switch and then a looper with five stereo (or 10 mono) loops that can be run in parallel.  The loop switcher isn't in stock but the MIDI controllers look pretty nice on their own.

I'm looking for a setup that can change my pedal order on the fly.  Most of my pedals have MIDI control.  Having a setup where you can send multiple messages, change order, and multiple other functions with a single button press seems like a huge advantage to have at your disposal. 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646
    Just ordered the Neural DSP Quad Cortex. Should arrive Friday. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 987
    edited October 2022
    Finally completed my board & will probably replace the NUX chorus & have to saythe Fender reverb is so choice 
    Post edited by BALLBOY on
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14