Options

A passing thought from Dave Abbruzzese

12346»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,104
    edited October 2021
    WW187806 said:
    1st. Cant believe this thread made it to 5 pages. 2nd and this constantly comes up with the regs on fan board- always reminiscing, taking for granted all we have. We are LUCKY to have Matt. 

We are because it's given some serious longevity to the band.

On the flip side either of the albums Dave A. drummed on probably sold more copies than all of the Matt albums combined :)
    (This is just me be shit disturber, because there's a lot more involved in why post 2000 album sales are lower.. lol.. but somewhere in there recognizing the sound PJ had with Dave A. on the kit did connect with people).
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    After 27 years people change a ton.  Especially people who were still in their 20s.  I’m pretty sure no one would care about any of the old band drama at this point.  

It would be good for everyone if he drummed for a song somewhere down the line. 

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 810
    I'd like to see Dave Krusen play Ten front to back with the lads too. But most likely won't happen. Am OK with it.

Felt to me Soundgarden showcased Matt's chops and PJ his groove. But he is just so tight that maybe his perfect time made those listening feel that the swing other drummers had wasn't there. I remember Tool covering a Ramones song live and thinking wow Danny Carey is too good for this, hence it not sounding as great to me cause it didn't have that balls to the wall punk feel. Nowhere near that extreme in this case but no matter the style Matt seems to be the most accompl musician of all the drummers. 

Though a pleasant irony in Dave A's drumming-despite being more to the front of the beat than Dave K and Jack, he didn't play as fast which I love for certain songs.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,814
    JT167846 said:
    I'd like to see Dave Krusen play Ten front to back with the lads too. But most likely won't happen. Am OK with it.

Felt to me Soundgarden showcased Matt's chops and PJ his groove. But he is just so tight that maybe his perfect time made those listening feel that the swing other drummers had wasn't there. I remember Tool covering a Ramones song live and thinking wow Danny Carey is too good for this, hence it not sounding as great to me cause it didn't have that balls to the wall punk feel. Nowhere near that extreme in this case but no matter the style Matt seems to be the most accompl musician of all the drummers. 

Though a pleasant irony in Dave A's drumming-despite being more to the front of the beat than Dave K and Jack, he didn't play as fast which I love for certain songs.
    excellent observation. if you ever hear a metal drummer play punk or jazz, it just doesn't sit right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JT167846 said:

Taking nothin away from MC but he simply isn’t a groove drummer in the same way that that Dave A isn’t a well honed lock step machine on the kit. There’s a reason both were hired when they were, from a musical and personal standpoint.
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 136
    edited October 2021
    Zod said:
    WW187806 said:
    1st. Cant believe this thread made it to 5 pages. 2nd and this constantly comes up with the regs on fan board- always reminiscing, taking for granted all we have. We are LUCKY to have Matt. 

We are because it's given some serious longevity to the band.

On the flip side either of the albums Dave A. drummed on probably sold more copies than all of the Matt albums combined :)
    (This is just me be shit disturber, because there's a lot more involved in why post 2000 album sales are lower.. lol.. but somewhere in there recognizing the sound PJ had with Dave A. on the kit did connect with people).

Just to be a disturber on the flipside, would you still love to see Foo Fighters and remind yourself Dave Grohl isn't the drummer from most of the studio recordings anymore like the first couple records? But yes excellent point. If Dave A was still with them through No Code quite possibly we'd have no more Pearl Jam. 
    Post edited by bmurray06 on