Post your stereo system!

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Just bought a pair of Triangle Borea Br03 speakers. Should be here next week.
    Also recently added an acrylic platter and an Orto Blue to my Debut, so hoping for a nice sound upgrade.
    I'll post pics when they arrive.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 633
    eddiec said:
    Also recently added an acrylic platter and an Orto Blue to my Debut, so hoping for a nice sound upgrade.
    I noticed quite a difference when I upgraded from the ortofon red to the blue 👍 I'm sure the platter will help too.. I use an acrylic mat and that even made a difference.
    my very humble yet still impressive new purchase. Q acoustics 3020i. I have a small living room and use a pro-ject debut carbon turntable and for their price range these are hard to beat
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    beano.79 said:
    eddiec said:
    I noticed quite a difference when I upgraded from the ortofon red to the blue 👍 I'm sure the platter will help too.. I use an acrylic mat and that even made a difference.
    Yeah especially after break in.  I made both those upgrades too and was pleased.  Although I would put the record straight on the acrylic platter.
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    eddiec said:
    Yeah especially after break in.  I made both those upgrades too and was pleased.  Although I would put the record straight on the acrylic platter.
    What I mean by that is I still have the original metal platter but use a 3mm acrylic mat and even this made a difference over rubber, cork or leather for me. So I'm sure an acrylic platter will make a huge difference. It may be the next upgrade I make.

added lighting.....the wife is over the moon 😂
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Cool!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Bought some vintage gear and a new turntable for a second hifi set up in the dining room. 
    Turntable - Pro-Ject T1 with an Orofon OM Se cartridge (will probably upgrade later)
    Receiver: Sansui 5050
    Speakers - Design Acoustics D6

My wife wanted bookshelf speakers for upstairs and those speaker give my Vandersteens in the basement a run for their money. 10” subwoofer in the back with five tweeters. Weird looking without the grill but great sound with lots of bottom end, far more than you would expect from a 24” speaker. 

Nice Sansui. Did you just get it? 

What's the vintage market like today?  Is it still hot?  I have two pieces that are not in use that I may consider moving. 
  • Picked all that up yesterday at various locations. 
     I think vintage speakers and receivers are still pretty hot items, again it depends what you have. There is a website up here called canuckaudiomart and there is plenty to choose from. A couple record stores I frequent have plenty of vintage gear to sell. 
    mrussel1 said:

What's the vintage market like today?  Is it still hot?  I have two pieces that are not in use that I may consider moving. 
    Which two pieces?
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which two pieces?
    The Marantz 2245 and pioneer sx-780
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which two pieces?
    The Marantz 2245 and pioneer sx-780
    I think I sent you a PM but this site is pretty messed up on my phone. 
    new toy.. ortofon 2m bronze
    Nice!  Is that a pro-ject?  Looks like that tonearm from them or a Music Hall or something.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I have been wondering if I should sell my 98' St.Louis Ames and use those funds to get something decent. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I have been wondering if I should sell my 98' St.Louis Ames and use those funds to get something decent. 
    You'd regret that one pretty fast, man! Sell of other stuff instead.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    You'd regret that one pretty fast, man! Sell of other stuff instead.
    Funny I was thinking the opposite.  I'm thinking of liquidating some prints.  I have a ton that will not leave the folder. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Nice!  Is that a pro-ject?  Looks like that tonearm from them or a Music Hall or something.  
    Yep... pro-ject debut carbon DC. Great turntable for the price.
    So got some new speaker wire to spread the speakers a bit more and not sure what to think.  I mean it's 12 awg, copper,  oxygen free,  but they didn't shield the plugs.  Wouldn't you expect that? I'm sure most people don't have shrink wrap sitting around (I do!), so I wonder how many people have shorted their amp.  

Hmmm. Yeah, I would want to be sure that the barrels were not carrying any of the juice from the amp.  

Should be easy to check with a digital multimeter, if you have one. You would just check for continuity between the barrel and the tip of the plug. It is possible that the barrels are insulated from the wire internally, but I agree..... that seems odd.
    dudeman said:
    Hmmm. Yeah, I would want to be sure that the barrels were not carrying any of the juice from the amp.  

Should be easy to check with a digital multimeter, if you have one. You would just check for continuity between the barrel and the tip of the plug. It is possible that the barrels are insulated from the wire internally, but I agree..... that seems odd.
    Yeah I will heat  shrink it anyway.  I have two large rolls of red and white that will last me the rest of my life.  Might as well use them.
    Good call. How is the Macintosh working out?
    dudeman said:
    Good call. How is the Macintosh working out?
    Really nice, thanks.  I would call the sound very transparent.  I know some think Mc has a signature sound.  Maybe it does, but I don't hear it. When I was running the Marantz and then the Luxman, I could hear the coloration.  Now mind you it was very pleasing, but it was there.  I don't have it with the Mcintosh setup.  Plus my speakers (Dynaudio) are pretty neutral as well.  So I feel like I have the most transparent audio I've ever had.  

But of course we're always tweaking.  My next purchase may be a tube phono stage.  I wouldn't mind having the option of doing solid state through the MC or tube.  I'd be looking at a Rogue Ares.  One day I may upgrade to Mc tube preamp but that's well down the road.  
    upgraded my debut carbon with the aluminium sub platter and acrylic platter 👌
    beano.79 said:
    Nice!  I'm sure you'll start to notice a difference.  Upgrading that Cart to a Blue will be a huge difference as well, once the Red is end of life. 
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    Nice!  I'm sure you'll start to notice a difference.  Upgrading that Cart to a Blue will be a huge difference as well, once the Red is end of life. 
    Pretty good difference off the bat tbh! I'm sure I'll notice it further the more different records I play. I actually have the Bronze Cart on here. Hard to tell the colour due to the childish coloured lighting 😂
    beano.79 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    Pretty good difference off the bat tbh! I'm sure I'll notice it further the more different records I play. I actually have the Bronze Cart on here. Hard to tell the colour due to the childish coloured lighting 😂
    Ah!  Well that's a big difference from the Red!  Awesome! 
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    I upgraded to blue a few years ago.. it sounded fantastic with no real need to upgrade tbh... But when you know there's something else it's just a matter of time (and money) before you give in 😂 haha extremely happy with the bronze.

What I noticed right away with the aluminium sub platter is it's very heavy, some good mass. Speed is much more stable with less wow and flutter. Very solid and stable sound. And the acrylic platter seems to have tightened everything up. Looking forward to getting a few records on.
    beano.79 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    beano.79 said:
    I upgraded to blue a few years ago.. it sounded fantastic with no real need to upgrade tbh... But when you know there's something else it's just a matter of time (and money) before you give in 😂 haha extremely happy with the bronze.

What I noticed right away with the aluminium sub platter is it's very heavy, some good mass. Speed is much more stable with less wow and flutter. Very solid and stable sound. And the acrylic platter seems to have tightened everything up. Looking forward to getting a few records on.
    The Debut Carbon is such a quality product.  It's a little bit of PITA to play 45, but that's the only criticism I ever had of it.  It's a great sounding TT.