Options

Post your stereo system!

1474849505153»

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I was going to ask if he replaced the veneers,  they look so good.  
    Haha! As much as I would love to do that, that level of restoration is beyond my capabilities. Maybe one day I will get brave enough for something like that. 

Do you still have your 2245?
    I do.  I need to put it in a different room and use it more.  

You could do veneers on furniture like that with square angles.  I restored a 60s stereo cabinet that was damaged.  Took me a few months but it came out great.  Made a few mistakes but they were corrected easily enough.  And then I used gel stain thar is much easier than liquid.  This is kind of a faraway image but I was really proud of the result.   Needed a few tools but nothing crazy. I didn't need to do the front with the rounded veneers. That's was just re- staining thankfully. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,015
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I was going to ask if he replaced the veneers,  they look so good.  
    Haha! As much as I would love to do that, that level of restoration is beyond my capabilities. Maybe one day I will get brave enough for something like that. 

Do you still have your 2245?
    I do.  I need to put it in a different room and use it more.  

You could do veneers on furniture like that with square angles.  I restored a 60s stereo cabinet that was damaged.  Took me a few months but it came out great.  Made a few mistakes but they were corrected easily enough.  And then I used gel stain thar is much easier than liquid.  This is kind of a faraway image but I was really proud of the result.   Needed a few tools but nothing crazy. I didn't need to do the front with the rounded veneers. That's was just re- staining thankfully. 
    That's beautiful! Well done. I'd be proud as hell of that. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,945
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

I ended up trading one of my Marantz 2215bs to a guy I know and I picked up this 2240. It had the original box, styrofoam packing blocks, manual and the clear plastic faceplate protector these shipped with.

Not a single mark on this one. It sounds awesome with the Marantz Imperial 5s, which I was able to get logo badges for, too. 

Part of me feels a little guilty for playing with this 2240 since it's in such good shape and is so clean. I get over that pretty quickly every time I hear it, though. Haha

Sweet!

Ahhh, nothing so beautiful as a well cared for Maranzt (well, you know, almost nothing, lol) 

I don't remember if I posted this already (if so, please forgive the redundancy if so), but I was turned on to a guy in Sonoma well regarded for rebuilding Marantz tuners and he worked magic on my 2220B.  The exterior was in good shape, but it didn't play well at all.  
    Here's a before and after he took of some of the work.  Of course, the proof is in the sound, and it sounds great!

That's awesome, Brian! Nice to see that thing live on.

For sure, bud!  It's one of those little things that adds a bit of joy to life!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,056
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    May 30th said:
    Those look awesome!!
    Thanks! It was a fun project and very rewarding. 

A lot of this vintage gear is totally worth preserving for the next generation. 

Nice work! Great looking speakers! Enjoy!
    Thanks man. You gotta hear these things sometime. 

No shit. We need to get together sometime!  I'm going to try Howard's Feed and Wax on my Pioneer HPM 60's.  I'll be sure to take some before and after photos. Thanks for the helpful insight!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Did you use the polish and conditioner???
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^^LOVE Buffalo Bill!     "Oh wait.......was she a great big fat person?"""
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    edited June 11
    Yes, it's actually called "Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner".

It's the stuff with beeswax and orange oil.
  • Options
    edited June 12

Alright. This is the last one. Had to change the previous grille cloth. The weave was too tight and the grilles were pumping in and out with the speakers. Kind of cool to watch but ultimately not the best situation for sound quality. The air from inside the cabinet was trapped in there with nowhere to go. This stuff is much better. 
  • Options

• Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    May 30th said:
    Those look awesome!!

No shit. We need to get together sometime!  I'm going to try Howard's Feed and Wax on my Pioneer HPM 60's.  I'll be sure to take some before and after photos. Thanks for the helpful insight!
    I realized my speakers are covered in vinyl veneer.  Oh well!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    May 30th said:
    Those look awesome!!

I realized my speakers are covered in vinyl veneer.  Oh well!!
    Drag! Win some, lose some I guess. 

At least you don't have any maintenance to do on them. Always has to be a bright side. Haha
  • Options
    Tru dat! 
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    my 2275 has suddenly lost left channel. phono, cd(in tape 1)  aux. nada. speaker relay was supposed to have been replaced.

was test driving a set of bookshelf 100w MTX speakers in B I just aquired from my deceased cousin when I discovered the issue.

Quick swap to the Onkyo and I'm stereo again but fuck, I spent a little on the "refurb"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    my 2275 has suddenly lost left channel. phono, cd(in tape 1)  aux. nada. speaker relay was supposed to have been replaced.

was test driving a set of bookshelf 100w MTX speakers in B I just aquired from my deceased cousin when I discovered the issue.

Quick swap to the Onkyo and I'm stereo again but fuck, I spent a little on the "refurb"
    Not excited to hear that. Sorry man.

Have you tried working all of the controls? A lot of times I have seen a channel drop out from a dirty contact in the Tape Monitor switch. Sometimes it's the speaker select switches or the volume control.

I'd recommend pushing all of the buttons a number of times and turning all of the knobs to the min and max positions a bunch too. Just be sure that the unit is turned off when you do that. 

Hopefully that's the culprit. Good luck!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I'd for sure have the person fix it that supposedly fixed it in the first place.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I'd for sure have the person fix it that supposedly fixed it in the first place.

Not throwing good money after bad. Co-owner is a fucking douchebag. Outside of their repair warranty anyway.

Couple other shops in town.  Onkyo will serve for now. First up is the 2265B. All caps and the speaker relay plus whatever else the see might need done. Rather do it before an issue presents if they can foresee one. Tuner spins smoothly and appears aligned so thats not an issue. Then a complete run through of the 2275.

The other shops I believe also have experience with Dual TT's as well. I have many lined up as projects I simply cant make time for. I have 1214,1216,1219,1225,1228x2,1229Q,1257
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Picked up this Dual 604 this weekend. It's in great shape for its age. 

This is the first single play, direct drive Dual I've had. All of the others have been idler drive record changers. I love those old idler drives, I was just looking for something a little different. 

This 604 has a way simpler operating mechanism than my 1019.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Not throwing good money after bad. Co-owner is a fucking douchebag. Outside of their repair warranty anyway.

Couple other shops in town.  Onkyo will serve for now. First up is the 2265B. All caps and the speaker relay plus whatever else the see might need done. Rather do it before an issue presents if they can foresee one. Tuner spins smoothly and appears aligned so thats not an issue. Then a complete run through of the 2275.

The other shops I believe also have experience with Dual TT's as well. I have many lined up as projects I simply cant make time for. I have 1214,1216,1219,1225,1228x2,1229Q,1257
    Won't even bother w that guy again huh?  That sucks.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

This is the first single play, direct drive Dual I've had. All of the others have been idler drive record changers. I love those old idler drives, I was just looking for something a little different. 

having one belt drive amongst all the idlers , I "need" a Dual DD....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

having one belt drive amongst all the idlers , I "need" a Dual DD....
    It sounds like you have one hell of a collection of Duals! A 1229 is on my bucket list to restore. It's a true classic, for sure. 

This 604 still has a couple things that need to be done but I have high expectations for it when it's finished. Seems like a lot of people really love the Dual direct drives and I'm super excited to compare this one with my 1019.

My Dual 1019 has remained the benchmark for all other 'tables to beat and so far, none have succeeded.