Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Man,  I haven't seen Jensen in years.  Are they vintage? They look like it,  but the condition appears pristine. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2021
    Well my system updates are now complete. VERY happy to upgrade from my Music Hall 2.2 w/AT440MLb to my new VPI Super Prime Scout w/ Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. It also has the upgraded 10.5" Tonearm, 2" Prime platter & VTA on the fly.

I upgraded my Marantz PM5005 w/ phono with a new tube combo. I am running an Icon Audio PS2 phono stage amp into a new Muzishare KT88 amp. The analog sound is phenomenal. Now I do need to get more burn in hours, but if it only gets better I am a VERY happy person.

Have already rolled the tubes and replaced the stock 12AX7s in the Icon Audio to new Gold Lion ECC83 (12AX7). I replaced all 4 KT88 power tubes and the rectifier tube in the Muzishare to new issue Gold Lions. I then went vintage for the pre amp tubes in the Muzishare. I have 2 vintage 1960 Sylvania 12AU7s and 1 vintage RCA 12AX7. After quite a few hours on these I plan to roll in some vintage Mullards and see how those sound. 

Very happy, now to listen to some AAA music.

Post edited by MedozK on
    Looks fanfuckingtastic!
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Very nice!  Congrats on the new gear.

Gold Lions are solid tubes. I put a matched quad of their EL84s in my guitar amp a few months ago. Sounds great!

What speakers are you running all of that into?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mrussel1 said:
    Looks fanfuckingtastic!
    Thanks, man. Your recommendation of the turntable actually kinda started the whole upgrade.
    edited February 2021
    dudeman said:
    Very nice!  Congrats on the new gear.

Gold Lions are solid tubes. I put a matched quad of their EL84s in my guitar amp a few months ago. Sounds great!

What speakers are you running all of that into?
    Thanks, Speakers are the weak link. I have ELAC Debut F5 speakers. With the tube amps, I felt the bass was a little lacking with the 3x 5.25 speakers, so I added an ELAC SUB1010 10" Sub. I'm running it through the Hi-Level Ins and damn it is perfect. I have the crossover set at 80hz and it takes that low end and makes it pop. It accentuates the bass, to where I close my eyes and can't really hear the sub, but the bass is there and tight.. REALLY enjoying all this right now. And with all that said, I am REALLY enjoying what I am hearing.

Listening to Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow right now and WOW.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    MedozK said:
    Well my system updates are now complete. VERY happy to upgrade from my Music Hall 2.2 w/AT440MLb to my new VPI Super Prime Scout w/ Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. It also has the upgraded 10.5" Tonearm, 2" Prime platter & VTA on the fly.

I upgraded my Marantz PM5005 w/ phono with a new tube combo. I am running an Icon Audio PS2 phono stage amp into a new Muzishare KT88 amp. The analog sound is phenomenal. Now I do need to get more burn in hours, but if it only gets better I am a VERY happy person.

Have already rolled the tubes and replaced the stock 12AX7s in the Icon Audio to new Gold  Lion ECC83 (12AX7). I replaced all 4 KT88 power tubes at the rectifier tube in the Muzishare to new issue Gold Lions. I then went vintage for the pre amp tubes in the Muzishare. I have 2 vintage 1960 Sylvania 12AU7s and 1 vintage RCA 12AX7. After quite a few hours on these I plan to roll in some vintage Mullards and see how those sound. 

Looks unbelievable man. I love when you get new stereo equipment and start hearing new things in the music you play. Enjoy!!
    May 30th said:
    MedozK said:

Have already rolled the tubes and replaced the stock 12AX7s in the Icon Audio to new Gold  Lion ECC83 (12AX7). I replaced all 4 KT88 power tubes at the rectifier tube in the Muzishare to new issue Gold Lions. I then went vintage for the pre amp tubes in the Muzishare. I have 2 vintage 1960 Sylvania 12AU7s and 1 vintage RCA 12AX7. After quite a few hours on these I plan to roll in some vintage Mullards and see how those sound. 

Looks unbelievable man. I love when you get new stereo equipment and start hearing new things in the music you play. Enjoy!!
    Thanks, should be a lot of fun
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    MedozK said:
    May 30th said:
    MedozK said:

Thanks, should be a lot of fun
    Some next level stuff there! Looks awesome! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    BB162610 said:
    I recently upgraded from some vintage McIntosh solid state gear to this MA252 integrated hybrid amp. It really makes my Cornwalls sound fantastic. Next move to upgrade the TT. 
    i.like.it

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368

I finally have a system to play some records I was hoarding! U-turn Orbit Plus on top of the Andover Audio SpinBase speaker. Great day..
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    MedozK said:

AWESOME!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

I finally have a system to play some records I was hoarding! U-turn Orbit Plus on top of the Andover Audio SpinBase speaker. Great day..
    Very cool. How does it sound?
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    MedozK said:

It sounds very nice. A lot more depth to the music than I am used to normally. Overall I am very pleased with this for my first setup. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    MedozK said:

It sounds very nice. A lot more depth to the music than I am used to normally. Overall I am very pleased with this for my first setup. 
    Awesome! Enjoy that vinyl.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    MedozK said:

Have already rolled the tubes and replaced the stock 12AX7s in the Icon Audio to new Gold Lion ECC83 (12AX7). I replaced all 4 KT88 power tubes and the rectifier tube in the Muzishare to new issue Gold Lions. I then went vintage for the pre amp tubes in the Muzishare. I have 2 vintage 1960 Sylvania 12AU7s and 1 vintage RCA 12AX7. After quite a few hours on these I plan to roll in some vintage Mullards and see how those sound. 

Why the preamp?  Does the regular amp not have a phono stage?
    MedozK said:

It does, but the Icon Audio's reviews were great, and the built in for the X7 were just ok. So I bypassed it. Thought I might in the future run 2 tables and then I could use the built in.
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

It does, but the Icon Audio's reviews were great, and the built in for the X7 were just ok. So I bypassed it. Thought I might in the future run 2 tables and then I could use the built in.
    I bought an RSD Flaming lips album that you have to play on 4 different turntables.  Maybe one day I can actually listen to it when I find and hook up 4 of them, lol.

Reason I asked is it seemed like overkill and I'd be pissed buying a tube amp that still needed a preamp.
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

I bought an RSD Flaming lips album that you have to play on 4 different turntables.  Maybe one day I can actually listen to it when I find and hook up 4 of them, lol.

Reason I asked is it seemed like overkill and I'd be pissed buying a tube amp that still needed a preamp.
    I disagree.  A proper phone stage has MC/MM support along with impedance control.  It's rare for a integrated to have that level of control.  My MC49 preamp does have it so I have removed my phono stage from my rig.  But when I was using a Luxman (a $7000 integrated mind you) it did not have impedance control.  It was one of the reasons I didn't keep it.
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

I disagree.  A proper phone stage has MC/MM support along with impedance control.  It's rare for a integrated to have that level of control.  My MC49 preamp does have it so I have removed my phono stage from my rig.  But when I was using a Luxman (a $7000 integrated mind you) it did not have impedance control.  It was one of the reasons I didn't keep it.
    I'm running straight off my amp.  I've messed around and tried 3 different ones with different speakers and yes there is a difference but I would have to try your setup to hear the difference.  Maybe I buy a preamp and give it a shot?

I'm happy with the sound but unless I buy a tube amp next and spend another 10g on my rigs I will just enjoy what I have for now.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

Ah! I was wondering if you still had the Luxman. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

I'm running straight off my amp.  I've messed around and tried 3 different ones with different speakers and yes there is a difference but I would have to try your setup to hear the difference.  Maybe I buy a preamp and give it a shot?

I'm happy with the sound but unless I buy a tube amp next and spend another 10g on my rigs I will just enjoy what I have for now.
    There's nothing wrong with a built in pre, depending on the rest of your system.  With a moving coil, like I have, I think the impedance control set to the proper leveling of the cart makes a big difference.  If you have a magnet, then probably less important.  I've debated on trying the Vincent Pho tube pre amp for a lark.  It gets good reviews and I'm curious if a tube will change the sound dramatically.  My preamp (not phono amp) is solid state right now.
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

I have to tell you that the Luxman was phenomenal.  It was really delicate, subtle, and sounded like a tube amp.  The fit and finish were remarkable as well.  I didn't like the lack of impedance and it was pure analog with no DAC (which can be a benefit too).  I went with the Macintosh separates instead.  Not necessarily better sounding, but it hits harder.  Also has a fantastic DAC and phono stage. The headphone amp was much better too, which is important to me.  But the reality is that I was suckered by the meters.  

If I ever build a second high end system, Luxman will be in it.  It offers a different sound that is really engaging.  
    edited March 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:

I have to tell you that the Luxman was phenomenal.  It was really delicate, subtle, and sounded like a tube amp.  The fit and finish were remarkable as well.  I didn't like the lack of impedance and it was pure analog with no DAC (which can be a benefit too).  I went with the Macintosh separates instead.  Not necessarily better sounding, but it hits harder.  Also has a fantastic DAC and phono stage. The headphone amp was much better too, which is important to me.  But the reality is that I was suckered by the meters.  

If I ever build a second high end system, Luxman will be in it.  It offers a different sound that is really engaging.  
    Yep, I get mesmerized by my X7's meters.
    Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Rotel ra 1592 integrated amp?? 
    edited March 2021
    May 30th said:
    Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Rotel ra 1592 integrated amp?? 
    I don't know that amp specifically, but Rotels are very nice products.  I took a quick look and it checks almost every box I would want..
    - Balanced Inputs
    - USB-A connection with a DAC that supports DSD quality
    - A/B speakers which I think is a huge advantage
    - Dual mono sub outs
    - 200 watts per channel (presumably 2 channels driven, not all)
    Great amp that is known to pair well with B&W speakers.  

The only downside I would see is that it doesn't support MC cartridges, although I bet 90% of people use MM anyway.  But I'd probably read up about phono stage anyways to see if it is well regarded.  For Rotel and that price point, I would expect a nice phono stage though.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Thanks for the help. I have a Parasound phonostage so would not use the amp for vinyl. 

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Looking to upgrade my turntable first time in 6-7 years

Whats the best I can do under or around 500?
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    Looking to upgrade my turntable first time in 6-7 years

Whats the best I can do under or around 500?
    I'd say a Pro-Ject or Rega within your price range.  They have the best 'trickle down' technology.  Music Hall is good too, but it's basically a Pro-ject. 
    I recently tested a Hegel H190 amp. My previous amp was an Arcam A29 and the difference was insane. I had to buy the Hegel and it arrived today. 

Would highly recommend this amp if anyone is looking for something new.