Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    yah I don't get the guns thing either.  Legal ones don't seem like a big problem in Canada, it's generally the illegal ones that are an issue.

making laws we don't need, Canadian governments since 1867.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Liberals bouncing back in the latest polls.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Guns, abortion and Covid seem to be what this election is about.

seems no one has a plan to grow the economy, grow wages etc…but they all have a plan to tax us…

and no doubt in my mind if Mr blackface gets a majority he will introduce a capital gains tax of some sort on principle residences.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Guns and abortion are red herring wedge issues.

All parties are promising the moon, but no party will be able to fulfill their ludicrous promises 

Cons want you to pay for everything up front, then they will give you a “tax break”

no way the Libs will win a majority, too much hate out there

no party will actually  do anything for the everyday average person, it’s all pandering to the special interests 

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    I have to agree.  The big loser in this election is the average person.

Give Peas A Chance…

seems no one has a plan to grow the economy, grow wages etc…but they all have a plan to tax us…

and no doubt in my mind if Mr blackface gets a majority he will introduce a capital gains tax of some sort on principle residences.

I don't get the cap gains on principle residence thing.  That would make it so much harder for people to move.    Given real estate prices you'd kind of end up stuck.

I think introducing a cap gains tax would probably cost you the next election.

If I were going to do it, I'd be more stealthy.  I'd make it into an estate tax.   If someone dies with a house in their possession (unless they have a spouse they didn't bother to make it joint with) then the capital gains tax applies to estate.  Something insidious like that so the government gets extra revenue, but it keeps letting people move around.

edited September 2021
    A meeting with the clerk of the privy council.

As he went on, I suddenly blurted out, “I don’t want you to say anything further about what happened after September 17.” To this day, I am still surprised I said that. I know why I did it and why I wanted him to stop talking—I was trying to leave space open for a constructive solution to the mess the PM and his office had created and that, in my overly optimistic opinion, could still be found. Either the prime minister knew everything that had happened and did not care and was clearly lying to me and the country, or he did not know what had been happening during the months after September 17 to try to exert pressure on me and was not in control of his office. He was either complicit or incompetent. If it was the former, and the prime minister admitted it to me, there was nothing I could do to help address this matter. It was over. Either for him or me. Or even potentially the government. If it was the latter, lord help the country, there still would have been a way to admit everything publicly, address the wrongs, and do better—much better; there still would have been a way to preserve the credibility of our system and respect the rule of law…JWR
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Zod said:

I don't get the cap gains on principle residence thing.  That would make it so much harder for people to move.    Given real estate prices you'd kind of end up stuck.

If I were going to do it, I'd be more stealthy.  I'd make it into an estate tax.   If someone dies with a house in their possession (unless they have a spouse they didn't bother to make it joint with) then the capital gains tax applies to estate.  Something insidious like that so the government gets extra revenue, but it keeps letting people move around.

I pay a tax when I bought my home, I should not have to pay when I sell it.  All Trudeau knows is tax and spend…he has a candidate in the east coast who has already stated a capital gains tax is coming…

I pay tax on everything on own except my weed.  Why should the people who I leave my estate have to pay taxes on stuff that has already been taxed.

it’s the same as an automobile…every time an auto gets sold the crooked government gets tax…that bs.  With the taxes these crooks collect you’d think Canada would be a well oiled machine, yet our most precious social service, healthcare is a mess in many parts of the country…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Zod said:
    Am I only the only one that doesn't care that the government tried to give a Canadian company a pass on bribing officials in a 3rd world country?

I kind of just thought that was how business was done in less developed countries.   The whole thing, with all the press, I dunno, I never really cared about any of it..    Maybe it's just me?  Does the media bringing it up over and over again really do that much?
    From an ethics point of view.. what Trudeau and liberals did was wrong. Dead wrong.   That said... would O'Toole have done the same thing? I believe so, 100%. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    ....  So just in general, what are some of your predictions for the election? 

Mine is a minority Liberal government again... possibly with slightly more seats, but still not enough for majority. 

What I'm keenly interested in seeing, probably not in the overall results, but in the ridings.. is if the Liberals gain where the Greens lose, and if the Conservatives lose where the PPC gains. 

I'm seeing lots of ads in the social medias where PPC are trying to make a strong push.. but at the same time labelling O'Toole as Trudeau Lite. 

Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    I agree, Liberal minority 
    PPC will probably take some Con votes, but I don’t know if they will get a seat
    Green’s 1-2 seats
    NDP may gain a couple
    I think the Bloc shrinks a bit
    there is a general weariness of Trudeau’s antics so I wouldn’t be totally shocked if the Cons pulled it out, but will stay with my prediction of a Lib minority 
    no shockers, no orange, red or blue waves
    RIP Norm McDonald…loved his dry sarcastic humour…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    RIP Norm McDonald…loved his dry sarcastic humour…
    A legend.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I am sorry for the huge loss of our neighbors to the north.  No one wins when you lose Norm
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    Zod said:

I pay a tax when I bought my home, I should not have to pay when I sell it.  All Trudeau knows is tax and spend…he has a candidate in the east coast who has already stated a capital gains tax is coming…

I pay tax on everything on own except my weed.  Why should the people who I leave my estate have to pay taxes on stuff that has already been taxed.

it’s the same as an automobile…every time an auto gets sold the crooked government gets tax…that bs.  With the taxes these crooks collect you’d think Canada would be a well oiled machine, yet our most precious social service, healthcare is a mess in many parts of the country…

Homes are the only thing you don't pay capital gains on.  If you buy $100,000 of stocks and sell them 10 years later for $200,000 you have $100,000 in gains of which 50% are taxable.  Same if you buy a non primary resident.

When you bought your home I think you only buy tax if it's a new home.  I didn't pay tax for my house (not that I recall).  The tax would be on the increased value, not the whole thing.

I'm not for a cap gains tax on homes, but my thoughts were around transfer of wealth.  It's starting to feel like the only people that are going to be able to get ahead are people whose parents leave them money.  Ergo the wealth divide is going to keep getting worse because of wealth transfer.  

I think people should be able to buy/sell their primary residence without triggering sales tax, but using it as a big tax free portion of an estate.. I dunno... it's pretty clever, but I also feel intergenerational wealth transfer further divides the country.

We already pay taxes on everything we own throughout our life…with the exception of the sale of our home.

why does the government need so much money…it’s not like they are providing us with state of the art healthcare or anything…lol.

inflation hits a 20 year high at 4.1%.  Are the liberals or NDP even discussing.  I know some conservatives have mentioned this…but I have heard nothing from the leader.

why would any of these asshole politicians care..It’s not like any of them have ever shopped…or know what it’s like to see the cost of everything skyrocket while wages remain substandard.

we need 3 new party leaders.  3 real leaders.  

Their answer is likely more government jobs…funny how technology doesn’t eliminate these jobs.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Trudeau holding rallies violating Ontario public health measures…one set of rules for the elites…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    And the Habs fans were all socially distanced at the cup final in Montreal 
    people are doing whatever they want and spinning their own narrative.
    you know, like that Liberal province Alberta’s fiasco with the 4th wave…. All Trudeau’s fault 
    it’s true (Kurt Angle)
    And lest we forget all the political elites who were entitled to their out of country vacations while telling their constituents to stay put
    remind me what party they were from
    all parties are hypocrites, not just your BF JT

erebus said:
    And the Habs fans were all socially distanced at the cup final in Montreal 
    people are doing whatever they want and spinning their own narrative.
    you know, like that Liberal province Alberta’s fiasco with the 4th wave…. All Trudeau’s fault 
    it’s true (Kurt Angle)
    The fans are not the prime minister of Canada and have not been lecturing Canadians for 17 months about public health guidelines…big difference.  It was also an unnecessary election in the middle of a 4th wave…it was called by an arrogant, racist, misogynist narcissist peoplekind…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    erebus said:
    And lest we forget all the political elites who were entitled to their out of country vacations while telling their constituents to stay put
    remind me what party they were from
    all parties are hypocrites, not just your BF JT

Did these other parties trigger an unnecessary election to satisfy a narcissistic ego?  I’m pretty sure both the NDP and PCs are opposed to this unnecessary election…

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited September 2021
    And hockey was not essential either, bunch of elites thinking that sport is bigger than health precautions 

the only thing we agree on is that the election was unnecessary 

I am not a fan of JT, and did not vote for him this time around, but your hate and delusions about him are redonculous, but everyone is entitled to their opinion…
    and again, we know who you are not voting for, but who are you getting behind?
    Post edited by erebus on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Trudeau holding rallies violating Ontario public health measures…one set of rules for the elites…
    Wrong again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-rips-trudeau-campaign-event-1.6176747

The Speranza Banquet Hall has a pandemic-era capacity of 500, down from the normal limit of 1,000 — so the 400-strong Liberal crowd did not violate provincial rules that limit indoors events to 50 per cent of regular capacity.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Wrong again.

The Speranza Banquet Hall has a pandemic-era capacity of 500, down from the normal limit of 1,000 — so the 400-strong Liberal crowd did not violate provincial rules that limit indoors events to 50 per cent of regular capacity.
    It also required people maintain social distancing which is clearly not the case. But Trudeau did say they respected the capacity limits, not all the health measures. It just reeks of more “rules for thee but not for me.”

On a separate note, tonight Rosie Barton announced that tonight’s the last night of the face-to-face series, on a Wednesday. There is now zero excuse for the network having aired O’Toole’s segment on a fucking Sunday night (lower viewership traditionally). To say nothing of her inconsistency in delivering the interviews (not overly tough on Justin-just enough for plausible deniability- and borderline rude with Singh).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Barton is a hack, but most journalists are trying to be “tough” these days.
    the moderator for the English leaders debate was another 
    We already pay taxes on everything we own throughout our life…with the exception of the sale of our home.

why does the government need so much money…it’s not like they are providing us with state of the art healthcare or anything…lol.

inflation hits a 20 year high at 4.1%.  Are the liberals or NDP even discussing.  I know some conservatives have mentioned this…but I have heard nothing from the leader.

why would any of these asshole politicians care..It’s not like any of them have ever shopped…or know what it’s like to see the cost of everything skyrocket while wages remain substandard.

we need 3 new party leaders.  3 real leaders.  

Their answer is likely more government jobs…funny how technology doesn’t eliminate these jobs.

To be fair the inflation #'s are off lows during the heart of covid last year..  you also need to wait a bit to see if inflation is temporary or more persistent.  The same thing happened after the 08/09 crisis, and inflation was temporary.   I think they're also stuck between a rock and hard place, and I don't think it's unique to Canada.   Interest rates have been pretty rock bottom since the last crisis.  Decades of people borrowing oodles of money (including governments) they they'll only be able to increase interest rates so much.  If they go up by a sizable amount they'll probably cause another crisis.

I do agree with you on the other points.  I feel like I pay so much tax but have so little to show for it.  I can't get a Doctor, I don't have kids.   So basically my tax money is useful when it comes to being able to use roads, public transports, and access a doctor through an app.

I don't think any party leaders are going to get us out of this one.  It's only going to get worse.   We've had successive governments ramp up immigration (both the Cons and Libs did it).   It was done to try and keep our population from being lop sided with old people (boomers were outnumbering everyone).   The ramp up in immigration seems largely responsible for a housing crisis.  

So basically.. all the shitty things that happen are poor government planning when it came to the population hump.  The big disadvantage of governments changing so often.  They don't think long term, they think until the next election :(
    If I understand the news correctly...   Jason Kenney touted July 1st as if the pandemic was over.. ended all restrictions... celebrated the rodeos and what not... Yee-Haw. 

Presently...  all restrictions are back, some tighter than before. Vaccine passport is going ahead.

And this one gets me...  the ICUs are at capacity so much so that he is asking other provinces to take COVID patients?  He's also asking for skilled medical trades to come to Alberta to help? 

And this guy is still in charge?  

I'm sorry.. but in the culture war of left vs right,  health vs freedom ....  are we not learning a damned thing? 

I remember in July there was a group of doctors in Alberta that were like "fuck it... we don't care what he says... we know the truth" and started imploring people to ignore that advice and still treat the climate as if there was still a pandemic... which was painfully obvious.

If you were one of the people who looked upon them and said "shut up already! we need to live!"   (and by live... you of course mean go to rodeos and bars and concerts and sporting events.)   If you're one of those people, like is it safe to say that you were dead wrong? This is so frustrating. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    we have a leadership race for Pallister's vacated premiership, and two of the three candidates are anti-vaccine passports. Fuck those two. One of them was a right hand woman to Harper. we're on the right track and we could end up back to square fucking one in two months. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

erebus said:
    And hockey was not essential either, bunch of elites thinking that sport is bigger than health precautions 

the only thing we agree on is that the election was unnecessary 

I am not a fan of JT, and did not vote for him this time around, but your hate and delusions about him are redonculous, but everyone is entitled to their opinion…
    and again, we know who you are not voting for, but who are you getting behind?
    I never disclose who I vote…that is my right.  

But I will tell you this…it’s between Singh or O’Toole…

I like the fact that Singh has dental care and pharma care as part of his platform.  The question remains “will he follow threw.”

At least he is throwing lower incomes something that is desperately needed.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Wrong again.

It also required people maintain social distancing which is clearly not the case. But Trudeau did say they respected the capacity limits, not all the health measures. It just reeks of more “rules for thee but not for me.”

On a separate note, tonight Rosie Barton announced that tonight’s the last night of the face-to-face series, on a Wednesday. There is now zero excuse for the network having aired O’Toole’s segment on a fucking Sunday night (lower viewership traditionally). To say nothing of her inconsistency in delivering the interviews (not overly tough on Justin-just enough for plausible deniability- and borderline rude with Singh).
    Emperor Trudeau can do as he wants...liberals don't care.

Wear blackface...thats ok
    Been accused of being a misogynist by strong woman who either left cabinet or got let go...thats ok
    He's a bully...thats ok
    Inflation at a 2 decade high...that ok
    Doesn't think about monetary policy...thats ok he's only the leader of a g7 country
    Sky rocketing debt...thats ok
    In bed with China...thats ok
    Scandal after scandel

Give Peas A Chance…