Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,422
    Coming back to the Trudeaus for a moment, there’s a couple points I’ve seen in the media that I should note here given my…reaction to the announcement.

First is regarding the posts featuring the children for whom we have been implored to give privacy. It is entirely possible that both posts were made with the full knowledge and consent of the two youths (an angle that wasn’t really brought up but should be noted). That doesn’t change the brain-dead permission Justin gave to post the pictures.

The second point is about Sophie. While I took umbrage with their public proclamation, she has subsequently kept a low profile, which I can respect, especially in contrast with her ex-husband.

Is our period of national mourning over yet, lol? I honestly half expected a page to walk out of 24 Sussex and post the announcement on the gates that day, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 555
    edited August 2023
    I do not really care/see the importance in their significant others (all party leaders) unless the are acting like complete asshats (like the Biden or Trump kids).
    I am kind of hoping that JT would decide to not run in the next election and maybe focus on the family.  
    I believe the Libs will have a better chance, maybe majority without him at the helm. Otherwise it is going to be a minority again , going either way, with the lack of quality candidates (JT and PP)
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    erebus said:
    I do not really care/see the importance in their significant others (all party leaders) unless the are acting like complete asshats (like the Biden or Trump kids).
    I am kind of hoping that JT would decide to not run in the next election and maybe focus on the family.  
    I believe the Libs will have a better chance, maybe majority without him at the helm. Otherwise it is going to be a minority again , going either way, with the lack of quality candidates (JT and PP)
    +1  100%
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,302
    The Libs would need to find a stronger candidate, which as you can tell with the Cons, and them not being able to find one since Harper, is often easier said than done.

I expect we get minority governments for a long while.   Not unless one of the party's is able to shift to centre.  As long as it's a divisive right, left, and lefter, I think it'll be minority governments.

Would be interesting if the NDP lost some support and the Libs couldn't form a stable minority government without the Conservative party.   That could start pulling it towards centre.. but I find the odds of that happening slim.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    One has to wonder these days if the Emergencies Act could be employed here, does the Liberals’ super-secret legal opinion allow it? Not sure why it wasn’t used to end the B.C. port workers’ strike (border point closed, causing economic damages in the millions daily).

It’s funny when one scrolls down to the comments, seeing how many people apparently think Trudeau’s flying in right now for his photo op (that will come later, surely).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-wildfires-yellowknife-nwt-1.6939126

Edit: Interesting to note the Minister of Justice is not part of the group convened, I guess the legality of government actions isn’t as important in an emergency? Some of us think that’s when it’s the most important time to watch out for government overreach.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    Zod said:
    The Libs would need to find a stronger candidate, which as you can tell with the Cons, and them not being able to find one since Harper, is often easier said than done.

I expect we get minority governments for a long while.   Not unless one of the party's is able to shift to centre.  As long as it's a divisive right, left, and lefter, I think it'll be minority governments.

Would be interesting if the NDP lost some support and the Libs couldn't form a stable minority government without the Conservative party.   That could start pulling it towards centre.. but I find the odds of that happening slim.
    Trudeau has openly stated that he’s staying on for the next election so that he can “fight the Conservatives.” What a uniter, but his divisiveness has been on full display for years now despite the protestations of several here.

• Options
    (Gasp! A non-Trudeau-centric post!)

So what is the point of the Top Secret security clearance given to May and Singh if they still can’t look at the source materials?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/elizabeth-may-secret-documents-foreign-interference-1.6940404

• Options

So what is the point of the Top Secret security clearance given to May and Singh if they still can’t look at the source materials?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/elizabeth-may-secret-documents-foreign-interference-1.6940404
    If I remember correctly... this is why Polievre didnt want to participate...  it wasn't full clearence.. and he would also need to keep quiet.  I'll give him credit for that..  he's not wrong. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:

If I remember correctly... this is why Polievre didnt want to participate...  it wasn't full clearence.. and he would also need to keep quiet.  I'll give him credit for that..  he's not wrong. 
    I have to admit that I’m a bit perplexed by Poilievre’s stance on this, though I hadn’t heard about the flimsiness of the report being the issue.

I really don’t see why he wouldn’t be allowed to continue to speak on the issue in general terms as May seems to be doing. However, he may want to keep the latitude to discuss specifics, since so much effort has been put in by the Chinese government to discredit CPC candidates, as well as the targeting of at least one sitting MP’s family abroad.

It’s also kind of funny (if it weren’t so serious) how hard we’ve been told that the last two elections were clean when they reportedly delivered the results the Chinese government was trying to achieve.

Honestly, in my opinion this issue should be treated just less than an act of war, but as I informed Hugh, Trudeau’s government seems intent on thumbing its nose at both the will of the House of Commons (including Trudeau’s pet NDP) as well as the will of the people. I’m also perfectly fine with reexamining elections going back decades, not just the last two.

And Guilbeault is off to further cozy up to the totalitarians (wonder what the Two Michaels think about that).

Maybe Chinese interference explains why we have the dubious honour of being governed by someone who has multiple Blackface photos in circulation (nope, that falls on the voters in all likelihood, at least I can say I have never and will never knowingly vote for a party led by such an ignoramus).

(Crap, I ended by finding my way to criticizing Trudeau, lol.)

• Options
    edited August 2023
    An interesting column that provides some historical perspective on the so-called “far right” as well. Lots of misnomers being thrown around by ALL SIDES.

https://apple.news/A1EoBWtceRrSwRiEq5cgZ2w

As an aside, my uncle made a statement (I need to double check with him to whom it’s attributed) that we need to move past all this left and right bullshit (my editorial: it only serves to divide not unite) and deal with the issues. I’ll also add that we need to deal with the issues based on facts, not dogmatic ideologies (sort of implied by my uncle’s statement but these days things need to be spelled out plainly it seems).

Edited to clarify my first sentence to indicate the topic of the column.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Perhaps the federal government could pass a law that all streets be given numbers instead of names (a la New York) and could provide funding for that effort.

I personally couldn’t immediately identify why most of the street names on the list would be considered offensive, just as the author suggests.

Regarding Dundas Street specifically, the man has been so misrepresented that I wouldn’t blame his descendants for suing for libel or slander. The man was a pragmatic abolitionist by every single objective reading of his words and actions.

I don’t know how much of an issue this is in other municipalities, I did hear that in Ottawa the Sir John A. MacDonald Parkway was renamed to something most of us will have difficulty pronouncing, much less remembering.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/yonge-st-wellesley-churchill-and-more-on-city-renaming-list

Edit to add a link to an informative column regarding Dundas and the historical slave trade in general.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/henry-dundas-the-abolitionist-deserves-commendation

• Options
    This will likely have Trudeau label the Saskatchewan government as “far right” (as he did with New Brunswick), but I really don’t see how this policy is bad, especially since they included provisions for students who fear disclosure would put them at risk at home. Parental rights should generally trump the state in my opinion. I’m hoping someone here can point out the problems better than the article does.

Something the article touches on is what rights minors have, which is a bit confusing to me. We accept that minors aren’t fully culpable in crimes (in fact under 12 has no culpability), which seems to run counter to what the article is positing, that youths have virtually the same rights as adults. Personally I agree with the outlook of giving youths some leniency (unless they become a habitual offender), but that’s having benefited from the old Young Offenders Act, but not having any kids of my own.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/new-education-policies-sex-education-pronoun-use-1.6943641

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I found this article/column interesting and added some insight into this issue. I’m still very interested in hearing any parents’ perspectives on this to gain further insight (I believe my (current) views are covered by my previous post. Now our (Ontario) education minister is being called homo- and transphobic for musing about a possible similar policy here yesterday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-teacher-student-pronoun-name-education-school-policy-1.6950422

Edit: I didn’t think this was a local issue for me until I read the last sentence of this editorial. Sadly just another reason I’m actually glad I don’t have my own kids.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-mainstream-views-are-not-far-right

• Options
    In all honesty, am I maybe asking too personal a question here? If I am I apologize sincerely.

• Options
    My opinion I think is worthless in this instance. I don't know enough about the subject matter.  I will say that it's getting a lot of attention for all the wrong reasons and it's being used politically for all the wrong reasons by both parties. 

I have a young daughter... and I can say that right now... yes I want to be in the loop about everything.  

Down the road... should my daughter identify as a male or be confused with such things... my goal as a parent is to be a good enough parent that she could talk to me about it and I would be understanding and help her navigate things. 

Therein I think lies the problem...... 

Students out there do not all have supportive parents....   we live in a society where conversion therapy is still a thing for example. 

A 14 year old student could very well be in a situation where they do not identify with their biological gender and would consider school a safe space for them to express themselves accordingly.  The state is basically trying to say "no, you cannot be called by your preferred pronoun unless authorized by your parent"  (even if the parent would disown the child or worse for having those feelings.) 

It's very tricky... and very complicated.  I don't even know that I have a personal stance on it yet to be honest. 

Looking at precedence... considering that we have a Youth Criminal Justice Act...   as a society we have agreed that those under a certain age are to be treated differently under the Criminal Code.  That's something to be considered.  We also have Children's Aid and Child Protective services..... so we've also as a society agreed that we consent to the state interfering in family matters where the health of a child is concerned. 

It's fascinating for sure.  Parental rights vs. Student / child rights.  More education and more civilized debate is needed. 

Some food for thought with regards to the subject matter....  I heard a statistic that basically pointed out that in the last 5-10 years.. the number of students who have identified as LGBT+ has risen exponentially. I think there are a lot of people who would see that as a serious problem.  And then there are other people who would see that as a serious solution.  If you're the type of person who sees it as a problem... and you're a parent... I highly doubt your child will feel good about talking about it with you should they identify as LGBT+.  If that makes sense.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    In all honesty, am I maybe asking too personal a question here? If I am I apologize sincerely.
    These conversations are good in my opinion
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Parksy said:
    My opinion I think is worthless in this instance. I don't know enough about the subject matter.  I will say that it's getting a lot of attention for all the wrong reasons and it's being used politically for all the wrong reasons by both parties. 

I have a young daughter... and I can say that right now... yes I want to be in the loop about everything.  

Down the road... should my daughter identify as a male or be confused with such things... my goal as a parent is to be a good enough parent that she could talk to me about it and I would be understanding and help her navigate things. 

Students out there do not all have supportive parents....   we live in a society where conversion therapy is still a thing for example. 

A 14 year old student could very well be in a situation where they do not identify with their biological gender and would consider school a safe space for them to express themselves accordingly.  The state is basically trying to say "no, you cannot be called by your preferred pronoun unless authorized by your parent"  (even if the parent would disown the child or worse for having those feelings.) 

It's very tricky... and very complicated.  I don't even know that I have a personal stance on it yet to be honest. 

Looking at precedence... considering that we have a Youth Criminal Justice Act...   as a society we have agreed that those under a certain age are to be treated differently under the Criminal Code.  That's something to be considered.  We also have Children's Aid and Child Protective services..... so we've also as a society agreed that we consent to the state interfering in family matters where the health of a child is concerned. 

It's fascinating for sure.  Parental rights vs. Student / child rights.  More education and more civilized debate is needed. 

Some food for thought with regards to the subject matter....  I heard a statistic that basically pointed out that in the last 5-10 years.. the number of students who have identified as LGBT+ has risen exponentially. I think there are a lot of people who would see that as a serious problem.  And then there are other people who would see that as a serious solution.  If you're the type of person who sees it as a problem... and you're a parent... I highly doubt your child will feel good about talking about it with you should they identify as LGBT+.  If that makes sense.  
    Parksy said:
    Thank you for your insights, you regularly add layers for me to consider. It sounds like you’re not one of the parents we need to be concerned about, which touches on one of my concerns with part of how this discussion is being framed.

One side of the discussion seems to be suggesting that the default position should be that all parents would be unsupportive of pronoun changes and so on, which is something I just can’t believe. The vast majority of parents are loving and supportive of their children I think, and the problematic parents are a small subset (of what is a small (but growing) subset to begin with) so while many of these kids will likely express some hesitation about telling their parents that doesn’t automatically mean that they will face abuse at home.

The Saskatchewan policy seems reasonable to me in that it defaults to the parents unless there’s assertions by the child that they would not be “allowed” to come out at home (I should look into the specifics of standards required to validate the child’s claims…the devil’s always in the details after all).

I’m personally all for letting kids explore who they are and I’m glad we’ve culturally moved to a more open place. However, if one isn’t allowed to decide their own bedtime (or are even subject to a curfew, lol), I do think you’re probably not ready to make some of these life-defining decisions (especially on your own and I defer to parents over the state generally).

Full disclosure here (and this is something I haven’t disclosed outside of my therapy until now), and without getting too specific, this is something I considered myself (moreso beginning in my teens) so I do feel a lot of sympathy for anyone grappling with this at any stage of their life. Ironically for this discussion school never felt like a safe space to address it but even back then it was clear that home would have been supportive (and yet I still haven’t “come out” as bi, lol, it is what it is). In the end I found that I’m perfectly happy being a guy but that’s not where everyone’s journey will end up. I guess I’m maybe looking at this more from the kids angle than the parents, but my own experience isn’t anywhere near what it would have been if it happened in the last decade or so (just different is all, lol).

As I’ve said I don’t have my own kids but I do have nieces and nephews as well as friends’ kids and the only thing I ever want to do is help them be themselves, and I have to give a huge tip of my hat to all the parents out there who are doing the best they can.

Edited to add “until now” in the disclosure, lol.

• Options
    Parksy said:

Parksy said:
    Thank you for your insights, you regularly add layers for me to consider. It sounds like you’re not one of the parents we need to be concerned about, which touches on one of my concerns with part of how this discussion is being framed.

One side of the discussion seems to be suggesting that the default position should be that all parents would be unsupportive of pronoun changes and so on, which is something I just can’t believe. The vast majority of parents are loving and supportive of their children I think, and the problematic parents are a small subset (of what is a small (but growing) subset to begin with) so while many of these kids will likely express some hesitation about telling their parents that doesn’t automatically mean that they will face abuse at home.

The Saskatchewan policy seems reasonable to me in that it defaults to the parents unless there’s assertions by the child that they would not be “allowed” to come out at home (I should look into the specifics of standards required to validate the child’s claims…the devil’s always in the details after all).

I’m personally all for letting kids explore who they are and I’m glad we’ve culturally moved to a more open place. However, if one isn’t allowed to decide their own bedtime (or are even subject to a curfew, lol), I do think you’re probably not ready to make some of these life-defining decisions (especially on your own and I defer to parents over the state generally).

Full disclosure here (and this is something I haven’t disclosed outside of my therapy until now), and without getting too specific, this is something I considered myself (moreso beginning in my teens) so I do feel a lot of sympathy for anyone grappling with this at any stage of their life. Ironically for this discussion school never felt like a safe space to address it but even back then it was clear that home would have been supportive (and yet I still haven’t “come out” as bi, lol, it is what it is). In the end I found that I’m perfectly happy being a guy but that’s not where everyone’s journey will end up. I guess I’m maybe looking at this more from the kids angle than the parents, but my own experience isn’t anywhere near what it would have been if it happened in the last decade or so (just different is all, lol).

As I’ve said I don’t have my own kids but I do have nieces and nephews as well as friends’ kids and the only thing I ever want to do is help them be themselves, and I have to give a huge tip of my hat to all the parents out there who are doing the best they can.

hopefully I did it correctly .. lol  but  I tired to bold what you said.  These are the types of nuances that are important.  I think it was New Brunswick as well that got wrapped up in some controversy about the same subject...  and what got lost was that in these policies were many provisions that allowed for care, counselling, and other considerations. 

And perhaps it's just due to me not seeing or looking hard enough .. but I've seen so far what some politicians are opining etc. but I haven't seen much in terms of what teachers and students are saying.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    edited August 2023

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Interesting article, thanks, as someone who’s gone by a name that’s not on my birth certificate essentially since birth the author does a good job explaining what the experience used to be when navigating what one’s called (completely separate from any sexuality aspect). I probably would need a permission slip today but pronouns would be included as well regardless of whether I wanted to change them or not, lol.

• Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

Parksy said:

hopefully I did it correctly .. lol  but  I tired to bold what you said.  These are the types of nuances that are important.  I think it was New Brunswick as well that got wrapped up in some controversy about the same subject...  and what got lost was that in these policies were many provisions that allowed for care, counselling, and other considerations. 

And perhaps it's just due to me not seeing or looking hard enough .. but I've seen so far what some politicians are opining etc. but I haven't seen much in terms of what teachers and students are saying.  
    I agree some of the loudest voices have been the politicians, with some parents as well. I also agree that teachers and students need to be heard as well, in fact the CBC column I posted incorporated both those perspectives in addition to the parental though the overall tone wasn’t particularly balanced, lol.

• Options
    I’ve been critical of Trudeau countless times on this and without hesitancy I’ll ask Doug Ford: Where, oh where has ministerial responsibility gone? Even with the report recommending a reprimand, resignation is the only honourable step.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/greenbelt-steve-clark-integrity-commissioner-report-1.6952133

As I was about to hit post I realized there’s a morbid Def Leppard joke to be had in the link, lol.

• Options

Great post.  Two things resonate from this with me.  

The first is the idea that yes someone should be able to be comfortable being called what they want and that SHOULD be out of respect and courtesy.  This applies to transgender folks as well.  Want me to call you Jane instead of Jake? Sure. (like who cares?)

The second and extremely poignant point that this fellow raises:  "in those ancient days had more important matters of government to deal with."   This is exactly what I meant by politicians (all of them) using this for all the wrong reasons.  

Lots of people, us included spend a ton of time opining on these things.. and I think for the most part it's because our governments and media do as well.  In abundance.  But in the long run these are to me at least very minor issues. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I’ve been critical of Trudeau countless times on this and without hesitancy I’ll ask Doug Ford: Where, oh where has ministerial responsibility gone? Even with the report recommending a reprimand, resignation is the only honourable step.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/greenbelt-steve-clark-integrity-commissioner-report-1.6952133

As I was about to hit post I realized there’s a morbid Def Leppard joke to be had in the link, lol.
    This is but another example of the lack of accountability in government. 

The good thing (to a certain extent) about our democracy is that we will have an opportunity to use our right to vote to remove them all. 

That said...  the damage will massively already be done. 

I cannot recall any other profession that has so many opportunities to hide or correct gross negligence, stupidity, and in this case a gross dereliction of duty for corrupt purposes... than government. 

Interestingly.. in both Canada and America ... there are feeble attempts at accountability but they are worthless. 

'Oh, we did an investigation into [Trump, Ford, Trudeau... you name it] all at the taxpayers expense... and by gosh, yes we have some issues here.  We're gonna go ahead and make this public, and refer this to another tax payer investigation that will lead nowhere.'  And the shit cycle continues. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:

The good thing (to a certain extent) about our democracy is that we will have an opportunity to use our right to vote to remove them all. 

I cannot recall any other profession that has so many opportunities to hide or correct gross negligence, stupidity, and in this case a gross dereliction of duty for corrupt purposes... than government. 

Interestingly.. in both Canada and America ... there are feeble attempts at accountability but they are worthless. 

'Oh, we did an investigation into [Trump, Ford, Trudeau... you name it] all at the taxpayers expense... and by gosh, yes we have some issues here.  We're gonna go ahead and make this public, and refer this to another tax payer investigation that will lead nowhere.'  And the shit cycle continues. 
    Time for reasonable recall legislation, except I don’t see any politician putting that forward.

• Options
    Parksy said:

Time for reasonable recall legislation, except I don’t see any politician putting that forward.
    correct lol 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    An interesting read about a group that’s acting similarly to a certain much-maligned convoy. Is it time again for the Emergencies Act to save the Ottawa residents? These guys want to dictate government policy just like the truckers did (supposedly, it turns out that was a gross mischaracterization by many in the mainstream media). I’m guessing in this case the cause will be judged to be just, lol.

This is some of what Trudeau has set the stage for with his flimsy use of our most draconian legislation. Same question applied to the port workers strike out west a couple months ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/what-on-earth-on2ottawa-climate-protest-1.6953456

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    An interesting read about a group that’s acting similarly to a certain much-maligned convoy. Is it time again for the Emergencies Act to save the Ottawa residents? These guys want to dictate government policy just like the truckers did (supposedly, it turns out that was a gross mischaracterization by many in the mainstream media). I’m guessing in this case the cause will be judged to be just, lol.

This is some of what Trudeau has set the stage for with his flimsy use of our most draconian legislation. Same question applied to the port workers strike out west a couple months ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/what-on-earth-on2ottawa-climate-protest-1.6953456
    illegal protests are illegal protests. I don't give two shits if I agree with the cause or not. you disrupt the public, you face consequences. you are doing nothing but pissing off the people you are trying to gain support from. stand on the side of the road to raise awareness. like striking workers usually do. 

one caveat is if the cause in question is imminent destruction to land that isn't the government's or private firm's to take/destroy (or at least, disputed). then, depending on context, I may or may not support it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

illegal protests are illegal protests. I don't give two shits if I agree with the cause or not. you disrupt the public, you face consequences. you are doing nothing but pissing off the people you are trying to gain support from. stand on the side of the road to raise awareness. like striking workers usually do. 

one caveat is if the cause in question is imminent destruction to land that isn't the government's or private firm's to take/destroy (or at least, disputed). then, depending on context, I may or may not support it. 
    The article does point out 36 arrests so there is that, lol.

Disputed lands (I presume you’re alluding to First Nations claims) is definitely a sticky issue where the only real solution I see is to settle them in a final way, except there’s so many varying claims and overlapping jurisdictions that it really is a hornet’s nest. I don’t know if it would maybe require reexamining the constitution as well which would then make for another hornet’s nest unfortunately.

An irony is that I fully support a certain degree of civil disobedience, but actions like the Coutts conspiracy, Coastal Gas Link attack or the Toronto G20 riots will always be offside to me.

• Options
    For the better-late-than-never file, but it is progress nonetheless.

I’d feel badly for Johnston as another casualty of Justin Trudeau’s incompetence except if his judgment truly was sound he would never have taken the appointment just based on the optics of the closeness of his and the Trudeau families. Unfortunately some of the information that surfaced around Johnston’s closeness to China was also inconsistent with the job he was being tasked with. Sure, Justin never should have asked him, but he chose to accept the “special rapporteur” position that was created just for him, lol.

A bit disingenuous of columnist Wherry to not acknowledge that all of his columns on this topic until now have essentially mirrored the Liberals’ position, and he makes continued attempts to blame the opposition parties (who, it must be noted, represent a clear majority in the House of Commons). He also avoids mentioning the misinformation campaign that was noted during recent by elections.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/foreign-interference-hogue-inquiry-analysis-1.6959756