Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,861
    well you can't really separate the leader from the party, can you, when discussing federal policies?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,425
    well you can't really separate the leader from the party, can you, when discussing federal policies?
    I do. The Liberal Party of Justin Trudeau is NOT the Liberal Party of Canada and (I’ve said this several times) I yearn for the day when the grownups take back control of the party and they become a viable vote for me.

Trudeau dictates to his caucus instead of building consensus so in that sense you are correct.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Well I wasn't really suggesting JT "is the liberal party", but the party adopts the policy of the leader, as decided by those within. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Well I wasn't really suggesting JT "is the liberal party", but the party adopts the policy of the leader, as decided by those within. 
    The point I was clumsily trying to make is that there’s different leadership styles and unfortunately the current PM (by all accounts within and without the party) subscribes to the top-down approach with him imposing his will upon the caucus (for example, anyone that wasn’t onside with carte blanche abortion was kicked out when he became leader, as far as I know there was no vote on the issue).

We actually have yet to see how PP treats the party membership and caucus, as shown by the CBC article I posted last night.

However, I didn’t really acknowledge that you’re correct that it’s difficult to separate the policies from the leaders, though I do believe it can be done.

• Options
    Another tempest in a teapot, it was essentially a chartered flight. Jann Arden is all over this though, organizing a boycott of Westjet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/westjet-poilievre-union-1.6965374

• Options
    i'd have to agree. it was a plane full of delegates. essentially a chartered plane that wasn't chartered. I don't give one single shit about this. I like Jann. I often agree with her on issues, but she does have a tendency to "outrage first, ask questions later". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pathetic that westjet is blaming the onboard crew, and the onboard crew is saying they had no say nor notice. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pathetic that westjet is blaming the onboard crew, and the onboard crew is saying they had no say nor notice. 

And the article mentioned that this isn’t an unusual practice, as I said, tempest in a teapot and doesn’t deserve the traction it’s being given (and yet it was me that brought it up, lol, though moreso as an example of how the CPC is treated by the press).

Both articles that I posted show shoddy reporting by the CBC unfortunately. For instance, why was PP in Victoria to not answer the question in the first article? The second article had me scratching my head as to why PP was even on the flight until I remembered the previous article, lol (he was on the flight making his way west obviously).

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2023
    I was on a WestJet flight 4 years ago where the CEO for the company talked to everyone. There was a time when the safety demonstration was filled with jokes on WestJet flights. I think everyone is being a slight bit sanctimonious here when the flight was not a regularly scheduled flight. 
    People just have to bitch and moan about everything. Social media is a wasteland, who pays attention to this shit anyways lol. You are going to boycott WestJet and what, fly Air Canada? Let me know how that works out for you. 

I fly a lot for work. The airlines are all the same. It’s all turned into a Greyhound bus ride, except for TransAtlantic flights. 
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,683
    Just watching another Pierre speech...   And with the purpose in mind of giving him the benefit of the doubt here, I'm hoping some good people on here who might be knowledgeable can help me out. 

His hammer has been pounding on housing from the day he was made leader of the opposition.  Trudeau announces a plan to generate housing in London and immediately following, Pierre has his speech rebutting that announcement. 

In his speech he lays out his plan (Hey! Awesome!) to generate affordable housing. He claims that the liberal government have been ballooning bureaucracies and making it difficult to build houses with regulation (gatekeepers).  Same ole story.  So as part of his plan he says that he will penalize those municipalities who do not speed up the process of building and he will reward those municipalities that do.  

In particular with regards to the CHMC he said and I quote:

'But do you know who won't be getting bonuses? CMHC bureaucracies that delay approval for housing financing. The Trudeau government has ballooned the bureaucracy at the CMHC paying out millions of dollars in bonuses for the very bureaucrats who have doubled the cost of housing. I will be slashing their bonuses and they will be getting pay cuts unless they meet the target of approving financing for affordable housing in under 60 days." 

Now in complete fairness to Pierre, he's not wrong in my opinion about the CMHC bonuses.  That's remarkable.  All CMHC bonuses should have been frozen in the past 4 years for sure.  

The kicker to me though in all this rhetoric .. quite possibly from Trudeau as well.... but in this instance with Pierre in his fight for affordable housing.  When he says he will reward those in the CMHC who hit their targets for approving financing for affordable housing....   how exactly do they determine if housing is affordable? 

For example... I believe he's talking about developers who submit applications to CMHC for financing and approval to build housing (correct me if I'm wrong).   If that's the case, what metric is used in determining if housing is affordable or not?  This question has been on my mind for months now with regards to the housing 'crisis'.  

It also makes me ponder the dynamic between public and private sector. The 'gatekeepers' (public) set out where units can be built and I'm assuming set taxes, and safety regulations.  But at what point is 'affordability' even a consideration with this?  Is there some sort of process by which a developer must indicate before they build how much they will charge for a house or a unit?  My understanding is that it fluctuates with the market?   

Any input is appreciated. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    I was on a WestJet flight 4 years ago where the CEO for the company talked to everyone. There was a time when the safety demonstration was filled with jokes on WestJet flights. I think everyone is being a slight bit sanctimonious here when the flight was not a regularly scheduled flight. 
    People just have to bitch and moan about everything. Social media is a wasteland, who pays attention to this shit anyways lol. You are going to boycott WestJet and what, fly Air Canada? Let me know how that works out for you. 

I fly a lot for work. The airlines are all the same. It’s all turned into a Greyhound bus ride, except for TransAtlantic flights. 
    I miss how fun westjet flights used to be. I didn't fly often, but I always kind of looked forward to having a few laughs before flying through the sky in a metal tube with no leg room. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It’s cute how CBC fails to mention that many politicians have done this, including Justin Trudeau. Why were apologies not demanded then but are now? Is this another example of the Blackface Statute of Limitations?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-westjet-union-apology-pa-speech-1.6966909

• Options
    Hugh, you claimed earlier that Trudeau primarily used the jet to meet international leaders (which I assumed meant you were saying that he left the country, perhaps I was wrong), did the article you read differentiate between international trips and ones like this where a motorcade would be more environmentally conscious compared to the jet? This is not uncommon to see on his itinerary, and it seems nonsensical to receive other world leaders anywhere but Ottawa. Unless part of the renovation of Parliament moved the capital to Toronto?

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I'm in Prince George BC for work, and I gotta say you Canadians are great.  Sometimes when I follow th Canadian politics thread I think oh they are as fucked as we are.  People are so nice, in the field of heavy industry, if I was on a job site in the US it would literally be a bunch of white male assholes. Here its multicultural all genders, and everyone is respectful of each other and really generally relaxed.  I wish we were more like you back home.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Hugh, you claimed earlier that Trudeau primarily used the jet to meet international leaders (which I assumed meant you were saying that he left the country, perhaps I was wrong), did the article you read differentiate between international trips and ones like this where a motorcade would be more environmentally conscious compared to the jet? This is not uncommon to see on his itinerary, and it seems nonsensical to receive other world leaders anywhere but Ottawa. Unless part of the renovation of Parliament moved the capital to Toronto?

yes, I didn't spend a huge amount of time on my "research" lol, but could only find his international flight history. unless you want to click on his daily itinerary. 

now, I don't know the reason behind the meeting being in Toronto, but had he driven, it would have been a 4.5 hour drive each way. I understand the environmental implications, but would 8 hours of driving be a good use of the PM's time and that of his staff? I wouldn't think so. 

I think there's a certain level of leniency we need to give world leaders when it comes to travel. I don't think it's hypocritical to talk about the environment and then jump on a private plane. It's the nature of the job. I spoke to my president about this post-covid. I asked him why we are going back to interprovincial travel when the technology for remote meetings is available and was successfully utilized during the height of the pandemic. He agreed that the technology is great, but there's just no replacing face to face. Which I get. They have significantly reduced the amount of travel, but there are still times when it's necessary. I'd say the same if it was Polliviere. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111 said:
    I'm in Prince George BC for work, and I gotta say you Canadians are great.  Sometimes when I follow th Canadian politics thread I think oh they are as fucked as we are.  People are so nice, in the field of heavy industry, if I was on a job site in the US it would literally be a bunch of white male assholes. Here its multicultural all genders, and everyone is respectful of each other and really generally relaxed.  I wish we were more like you back home.
    that's interesting. When my family was in Minneapolis for the Arctic Monkeys, one thing I found super noticeable was how friendly Americans were. Like, over the top friendly. Just regular folk at a baseball game or Valley Fair or whatever. People smiling and saying good morning to people they don't know. I don't get that same experience in Winnipeg. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    static111 said:
    I'm glad you are having a good experience. I was born in PG and lived there until I was 18. Haven't lived there since but I've spent time there visiting family and friends in the decades since. I am a little surprised that you are seeing a multicultural workplace since when I visit it still doesn't seem as diverse as I'm used to down near the coast, but good to know!

While you're there, check out Betulla Burning for pizza. I was there last fall with family and OMFSM was it ever out of this world good

Betulla Burning
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

yes, I didn't spend a huge amount of time on my "research" lol, but could only find his international flight history. unless you want to click on his daily itinerary. 

now, I don't know the reason behind the meeting being in Toronto, but had he driven, it would have been a 4.5 hour drive each way. I understand the environmental implications, but would 8 hours of driving be a good use of the PM's time and that of his staff? I wouldn't think so. 

I think there's a certain level of leniency we need to give world leaders when it comes to travel. I don't think it's hypocritical to talk about the environment and then jump on a private plane. It's the nature of the job. I spoke to my president about this post-covid. I asked him why we are going back to interprovincial travel when the technology for remote meetings is available and was successfully utilized during the height of the pandemic. He agreed that the technology is great, but there's just no replacing face to face. Which I get. They have significantly reduced the amount of travel, but there are still times when it's necessary. I'd say the same if it was Polliviere. 
    Thanks for clarifying a bit. This betrays my “obsession” with the current PM but I do regularly look at his itinerary.

To be fair to Trudeau, it’s not clear if he overnighted in Toronto (he flew here from London, Ontario yesterday to attend a Jewish festival), though if he did I’d put money down that he (and his entourage) didn’t stay at the Holiday Inn, more likely he stayed somewhere like the Royal York (wonder how much OJ cost wherever he stayed?). His itinerary doesn’t indicate if he slept in Ottawa or Toronto, I’ll admit that I assume he flew to Ottawa, however that’s based on observation of his travel habits.

I do remain confused as to why so many world leaders aren’t received in the nation’s capital but it may sometimes be at the request of the visiting leader (Toronto probably has larger and more prominent ethnic communities than Ottawa, purely an anecdotal observation).

I do agree that some leniency should be given, especially putting our PM (whoever it may be) on a private plane (though I would like to see the equation for what the PM pays for flying revisited, I think someone we pay more than $1,000/day could pay more than a coach fare). I would also think the PM could direct his office to arrange their travel so as to minimize the carbon footprint, but I haven’t heard of any of them doing so (most notably the current eco-warrior PM).

Also, face-to-face does have some advantages over zooming (although I’m sure there’s a tin foil hat theory that this can allow for more secret deals and other malfeasance, lol).

• Options
    The two leaders were opening a exhibition of Portuguese art here in Toronto so meeting here does make a certain amount of sense.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2023
    Im done with JT. He gotta go
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I'm glad you are having a good experience. I was born in PG and lived there until I was 18. Haven't lived there since but I've spent time there visiting family and friends in the decades since. I am a little surprised that you are seeing a multicultural workplace since when I visit it still doesn't seem as diverse as I'm used to down near the coast, but good to know!

While you're there, check out Betulla Burning for pizza. I was there last fall with family and OMFSM was it ever out of this world good

Betulla Burning

Thanks I will check it out after work tomorrow!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    @oftenreading thanks for the recommendation.  I almost went to crossroads brewery based of some other suggestions by local coworkers but I'm glad I went to Betulla! Probably the best wood fired pizza I have ever had.  I couldn't believe the taste.  Great beers on tap too.  A great end to my time in Prince George.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    static111 said:
    @oftenreading thanks for the recommendation.  I almost went to crossroads brewery based of some other suggestions by local coworkers but I'm glad I went to Betulla! Probably the best wood fired pizza I have ever had.  I couldn't believe the taste.  Great beers on tap too.  A great end to my time in Prince George.
    That's good to know! I'm glad you enjoyed your time in PG and that it ended with a bang (and a good pie). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    As my grandmother described it, the longest running comedy hour in Canada is back: federal Question Period,  lol. It truly is an absurd display by all sides. 

• Options
    "MR SPEAKER, (THE OTHER SIDE) (DIDN'T DO THIS/DID THIS), AND THE CANADIAN PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS!"

HEAR HEAR!! HEAR HEAR!!!

god what a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    "MR SPEAKER, (THE OTHER SIDE) (DIDN'T DO THIS/DID THIS), AND THE CANADIAN PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS!"

HEAR HEAR!! HEAR HEAR!!!

god what a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars. 
    Don't forget the inevitable non-answer, lol.

• Options
    Who is replacing him? Pee-pee is a joke. He’s a wish version of trump and an Ali express version of desantis. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,316
    Who is replacing him? Pee-pee is a joke. He’s a wish version of trump and an Ali express version of desantis. 

That's kind of the fallacy.  It doesn't matter who wins the next election, they'll most likely leave office with the country being in worse shape than they inherited it.  It's the way it goes.   Like South Park once said, we're choosing between a giant douche and a turd :)
  • Options
    I don't think the country is in worse shape BECAUSE of JT. and not only will PP not make it better, his regressive MAGA-like shit will make it much, much worse. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    so what do all of the "India was another disastrous trip for JT" folks say now?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com